Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do people advise not doing over 5cm?  (Read 5425 times)

yyes

Why do people advise not doing over 5cm?
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »

I have always wondered this. Most doctors say not to do over 5cm in femur lengthening. But what if someone did 5.5 or 6cm.

Would that extra cm actually be that bad and make the surgery that much more riskier?

guichethope

Re: Why do people advise not doing over 5cm?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »

the risk of complication are higher after five cause you stretch too much your soft tissus and of course it's bad . The more you lengthening the higher risk you take . I don't think that it will kill you but after five you may develope nerve pain or some sh*t like that . 5 is for me the limit if you want to be almost  back to who you were 4 is way better and etc ...

TheLichKing

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »

I have always wondered this. Most doctors say not to do over 5cm in femur lengthening. But what if someone did 5.5 or 6cm.

Would that extra cm actually be that bad and make the surgery that much more riskier?

I think you meant tibiae lengthening. Femurs 6-7 cm do-able safety wise as they are naturally longer.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Current height - 168.5 cm: 5'6.5
Goal - 180 cm: 5'11
*2 segments (femurs-6.5 cm) + (tibia-5 cm)=11.5 cm: 4.5''

yyes

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

Interesting.

What do you guys think of Dr Monegal. I'm thinking about doing 5.5 cms with him.

Also do you think this is a surgery that you can hide from most of your friends or do you think they would know that you did the surgery?

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »

Interesting.

What do you guys think of Dr Monegal. I'm thinking about doing 5.5 cms with him.

Also do you think this is a surgery that you can hide from most of your friends or do you think they would know that you did the surgery?

Difficult to hide I think. How do you explain disappearing for at least some weeks and being disabled for a few months?
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

midnightninja

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »

Wrong. Countless people have had problems at 6-7. Virtually no one seems to complain at 4-5cm

Jack1066

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »

You could probably say you were going on holiday or something, then that you'd gotten in an accident and broken your legs? lol

I think it depends on whether you do femurs or tibias. Individual doctors say different things about safe limits. I think as a rule it's about 7 cm for femurs and 5 cm for tibias.

yyes

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »

That would be the only way lol. I'm going with Dr Monegal. I know a lot of people were bashing on him lately but I don't really understand why and if they are valid comments about him

Jack1066

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »

I don't know enough to comment. From what I've read he's quite expensive and has questionable results though. How much are you spending for the surgery with him?

yyes

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »

40-50 k is what I am budgeting for.

Questionable results? That sounds concerning. But yeah some people seem to complain about him. I wish there was more info on him in the web.

And something that threw me off was him defending himself in this forum. I dont know, it was kind of odd. I feel like other docs such as Paley or Guichet or Rozbruch would give less of a fu$k if they were being questioned here. Just my intuition though. I might be 100 percent wrong on him.

TheLichKing

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 06:15:41 PM »

Why not go Parihar or Birkholtz? I guess you don't want to go to those countries.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Current height - 168.5 cm: 5'6.5
Goal - 180 cm: 5'11
*2 segments (femurs-6.5 cm) + (tibia-5 cm)=11.5 cm: 4.5''

Jack1066

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »

Oh, it was just like you said, bitching on the forum mostly.

I'm probably going with Mitkovic. He seems the best of the cheap ones. Not that it's a good idea to go with the cheap ones if you have the choice! If I had that money I'd probably go with Parihar, he seems to get good results while not being prohibitively expensive. But again, I don't really know enough to comment.

yyes

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 11:12:26 PM »

Oh, it was just like you said, bitching on the forum mostly.

I'm probably going with Mitkovic. He seems the best of the cheap ones. Not that it's a good idea to go with the cheap ones if you have the choice! If I had that money I'd probably go with Parihar, he seems to get good results while not being prohibitively expensive. But again, I don't really know enough to comment.

Yeah personally I dont want to touch anything else other than femurs. I feel that with femurs, just by lengthening 5.5 cm, I would be able to go back to close to 100 percent athletic ability.

Bander72

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »

I think the femur is best as well.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

Jack1066

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

I think being honest it's impossible to go back to 100% even if you do a smaller amount like 4 cm. 5 cm (maybe more on femurs but it all depends on the person) is usually considered the "safe" limit of a small amount. There are just more trade offs the more you do.

yyes

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »

I think being honest it's impossible to go back to 100% even if you do a smaller amount like 4 cm. 5 cm (maybe more on femurs but it all depends on the person) is usually considered the "safe" limit of a small amount. There are just more trade offs the more you do.

Damn really? Yeah I guess what you say makes sense

onemorefoot

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 11:14:49 PM »

But we have to take in cosideration that the amount lengthened is not the same as the amount gained, if you say 4 is safe, you are really saying that 5 is safe.
Budget will determine my future.

yyes

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 02:21:20 AM »

But we have to take in cosideration that the amount lengthened is not the same as the amount gained, if you say 4 is safe, you are really saying that 5 is safe.

What do you mean by that? If I want to gain 2 inches are you saying that I have to technically gain 3?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:48:33 AM by yyes »

Jack1066

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 03:15:20 AM »

Yes, that confused me a bit too. I thought that in some cases some length was lost but normally it's ok..

BiggestProblem

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »

If you turn the Ilizarov 6.4cm, in reality it might only have extended 6cm. That's what we are talking about, not that the bones magically get shorter. So if someone says 5cm is the safe limit he is saying that lengthening 5cm is the safe limit. Not that he lengthened 6 then lost 1.
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm

Finishing school before doing surgery. Most likely to just do tibias to become at least 170cm.

Jack1066

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »

Ah thanks for the explanation, you mean that the pins add on some extra lengthening or something?

onemorefoot

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »

That Lost is called subsidence, Birkholtz explained that we dont know why subsidence happens, if you are considering external tibia you should overlengthen like 1.5 cm more, In the process the fixator lengthens 10-15 per cent less than the amount on paper, after when doctor removes the fixators lose .5 cm more.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 10:13:14 PM »

Any given and specific figure is a weak guide line and certainly not universal. I prefer to use percentages of bone length to calculate lengthening. Somebody with a 26 inch inseam will be able to 'safely' lengthen a different amount than someone who has a 36 inch inseam.

onemorefoot

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 05:12:24 AM »

As you will pay tons of money, you should go for 7 cm( I hope a very smart guy doesnt appear writing: gor for 100 inches in the femurs), 7 cm are really like 6-6.4 cm, so no ,you wont have very long femurs if you go for 7.
Pages: [1]   Go Up