Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to strike balance between privacy and support during ll ?  (Read 1243 times)

p89

• Visitor

i have been reading that it is advisable to get a family member with you during lengthening for support. i can imagine how that might help because you are going to be crippled and unlike other operations, this is a f#@king continuous 3 month battle.

but at the same time i think during the good days you would lose out on your sense of privacy big time if there is always someone next to you.

how do you achieve a balance? for example, if you were to take a helper with you, would you make the helper stay with you in your hotel room? or would you give her a separate room so you can have some privacy?

also how much true is it that you always need a companion with you? can you manage without one one some days?

onemorefoot

Re: how to strike balance between privacy and support during ll ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »

Internal lengthening is a whole different story from external lengthening. The only support you should need from your family is money, at the end It is your war, you have to win It yourself, there are not allies here.
Budget will determine my future.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:20:35 PM »

I think the best balance would seriously be to do unilateral lengthening, internals only and to lengthen at home. But more expensive and more time consuming, I know.
If you are lucky enough to have a helper/ an attendant while you're abroad, I would recommend a separate room.
Just think about what would happen if you had a fight/argument over something and are pissed off for some days.
I can almost assure you that you will be much more sensibel or have bad temper while lengthening.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:47:23 PM by Chris »
I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

Iamready

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »

You only need the helper for a few weeks. Personally. I was lucky and my sweet father took care of me for the first 2 weeks. After that, you learn to adjust and be independent.  I don't even know if I recommend a family member because I. Think my dad was traumatized by the whole experience.

The Kaiser

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:15:36 PM »

i have been reading that it is advisable to get a family member with you during lengthening for support. i can imagine how that might help because you are going to be crippled and unlike other operations, this is a f#@king continuous 3 month battle.

but at the same time i think during the good days you would lose out on your sense of privacy big time if there is always someone next to you.

how do you achieve a balance? for example, if you were to take a helper with you, would you make the helper stay with you in your hotel room? or would you give her a separate room so you can have some privacy?

also how much true is it that you always need a companion with you? can you manage without one one some days?

Its more than 3 months battle dude

p89

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:04:51 PM »

I think the best balance would seriously be to do unilateral lengthening, internals only and to lengthen at home. But more expensive and more time consuming, I know.

problem with internals for me is you do not know when to stop one leg. what if you can not get the other leg to the same length afterwards?

p89

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »

i am very confused if i should have family members around me or not. i do not want to traumatise them. but i do not know if i can stay stable all alone either.

if the nails are weight bearing i will such an easy time taking care of myself but they are not.

midnightninja

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

problem with internals for me is you do not know when to stop one leg. what if you can not get the other leg to the same length afterwards?

You lengthen each leg the same every day. You do your clicks for one leg and then immediately do the clicks for the other leg.

Here's a video of a man who has gotten internal femur lengthening

TheLichKing

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »

Internal Femurs with Precise shouldn't be much of a problem but for tibia lengthening you would most definitely need a caretaker since you would either be using pure external or LATN/LON. For LATN/ LON, the period would be much shorter since external frames are removed right after lengthening, with only the nail left inside the leg, from that point onwards, I'm not too sure what the degree of caretaking shall be. But as long as you have the external frames on, you will need someone to take care of you (I think).

Is doing internal tibias with Precise a good option after all? or is it not worth it due to higher risk of perm knee pain even when compared to LON/LATN? (and any other drawbacks it may have over LON/LATN)
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Current height - 168.5 cm: 5'6.5
Goal - 180 cm: 5'11
*2 segments (femurs-6.5 cm) + (tibia-5 cm)=11.5 cm: 4.5''

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »

I think the message is forget about LATN/LON. I believe for a cosmetic surgery you should not risk permanent knee pain. It is better for recovery to do femur and with an internal device and even then you require help for at least the first months because you are wheelchair bound. Unless you do it with Guichet... but that has problem of its own.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient
Pages: [1]   Go Up