Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Monegal (Barcelona) - Two stage internal Femur - Fitbone  (Read 15293 times)

Four Inch

Re: Dr. Monegal (Barcelona) - Two stage internal Femur - Fitbone
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »

hi all ,
it's my first post but it's months that i follow the forum , regarding this problem i have some questions for all of you
what happen if in 2 stages the second leg can't reach the lenghtening of the first leg ? example the first leg lenghtened 7,5 cm, the second leg for several reasons can't pass 5 cm, we have to live with discrepancy??
the same question in 1 stage
without frequently x-rays there are a lot of risks...

(sorry for my english )

I agree with Helloworld; based on the experiences of others that I have spoken to it seems unlikely.  However, there have been fitbone nail failures and the nail had to be replaced.  I'm guessing every type of internal nail has had some percentage of failure.

Although, I had xrays every two weeks; mostly because I wanted to be assured that the bone was consolidating.  I think the xrays become more important as you get close to reaching your desired height so that you can better confirm how much you have lengthened.  If you are a two-stage patient, its even more important with your second leg so that a significant discrepancy can be avoided. A minor discrepancy seems to be considered acceptable.  In fact, I had a 4mm discrepancy before surgery that I never knew about.

I'm thinking about returning to Barcelona in the final days of lengthening so that I can have easier access to more frequent xrays.

Four Inch

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »

Quick update......so far things seem to be going fine. 

I had a round of xrays taken about a week ago and there is lots of bone formation activity on my first leg; very thankful for that.  I have lengthened 2.5 centimeters in my second leg so far and plan to lengthen a full 8cm to compensate for the lengthening in my first leg plus compensate for a preexisting discrepancy in my leg length.  With a little luck I should be walking without crutches in late November.

Quite by accident, I noticed that I can actually walk without crutches now! In a momentary loss of reality, I took a few steps without my crutches and was pleasantly surprised.  I know walking without crutches is a no-no at this stage, but it was a bit comforting to know that I can.

I'll be returning to the US, in the next few days.  As much as I love it here, I look forward to returning home so that  I can somewhat get on with my life! ;D

U only live once

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2017, 10:05:51 AM »

Quick update......so far things seem to be going fine. 

I had a round of xrays taken about a week ago and there is lots of bone formation activity on my first leg; very thankful for that.  I have lengthened 2.5 centimeters in my second leg so far and plan to lengthen a full 8cm to compensate for the lengthening in my first leg plus compensate for a preexisting discrepancy in my leg length.  With a little luck I should be walking without crutches in late November.

Quite by accident, I noticed that I can actually walk without crutches now! In a momentary loss of reality, I took a few steps without my crutches and was pleasantly surprised.  I know walking without crutches is a no-no at this stage, but it was a bit comforting to know that I can.

I'll be returning to the US, in the next few days.  As much as I love it here, I look forward to returning home so that  I can somewhat get on with my life! ;D

Hi Four Inch,

I am very excited to read your diary since my surgery is surely on the way, counting the days off, 18 days! Just out of curiosity  how often do you get your xrays done? Do you send them to Monegal every time you take them?

Thanks mate.
Aim high

Four Inch

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2017, 10:26:59 AM »

Hi U only liver once,

I had xrays taken every two weeks and I did indeed share them with Dr. Monegal.  Dr. Monegal will not pester you about xrays, at least he didn't remind or pester me, but my advise is to be sure to have xrays taken frequently and ask Dr. Monegal to review and respond to them.  I think almost all radiology clinics have the ability to provide the xrays on CD so it's easy to e-mail them over to Dr. Monegal.

Good luck to you!

Four Inch

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2018, 11:14:41 PM »

Very sorry for the shamefully late reply, I am doing very well, thank you for asking.  Iv'e been absent form the forum due to some family matters.  It's really hard to get back in the swing of posting once you get away from it for a while.  I don't plan on being real active on the forum going forward but will periodically check in on others. 

A few weeks ago I crossed the point of knowing that all is well and I will be notch on the LL success totem pole.  I am walking at a near normal gait now and am slowly rebuilding the strength in my knees.  Walking up stairs is fairly routine but i still need to take a step at a time when going down stairs. I'm expecting to be fully recovered at about a year from stage one surgery....that is with lengthening about 7cm.

I can attest to the fact that the fitbone nails will take a lot more weight than advertised.  I have been doing some amazing weight bearing feats out of necessity for the past couple of months and xrays show the nails are in good shape.

There is a ridiculous amount of controversy surrounding Dr. Mongegal, I want to say that in my book he is a terrific person and Doctor.  I have absolutely no complaints; other than he is a bit absent minded about sending my xray orders with out a few nudging.   As I mentioned in previous posts, one you leave Barcelona, he is not going to be holding your hand but he is always a WhatsApp ping away.  For you Monegal naysayers, you are absolutely wrong about him; I'll have his back for a lifetime.

I'm toying with the idea of maybe doing my tibia's.........hummm, I need to think long and hard about that but i do its back to Dr. Monegal.

A shout out to Roy Boy, Auron and Music Maker.  You all made this experience a lot less fearful that it would have been otherwise without your support.

- Cheers!

Cheers!

Auron

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2018, 12:57:28 AM »

It's great to know that you're recovering well, the fact that you are considering doing tibias tells me you're in good shape. I hope to meet you again in the future and have a laugh together at our past adventures!

Cheers ~

Honore

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »

OBG, how much did you do? My theory is that 3inch is safe for 20's/30's but for 40's, maybe 2inches is safer.

No disrespect intended but as a late 40's man myself, planning doing LL in 2018/19, I wonder what your basis is for this theory...

@Four Inch.. great that you did this, I am proud and humbled of/by your perseverance... Can I ask you why dr M insist of doing one leg at a time? Do other doctors really take a too great a risk doing 2 legs simultaneously? Because I am planning doing 4inch divided over tibia/femur... since Dr M is my preferred doc this would take me a long time...

Four Inch

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2018, 02:54:04 AM »

Hi Honore,

Thank you for the kind words.

Dr M. really only recommends doing one leg at a time; the primary reason is to avoid being confined to a wheel chair.  I know he will do both legs simultaneously if you are doing tibia or femur if that is what you prefer; others have done the same.

I'm not sure about doing both tibia/femur simultaneously at the same time. 

Cheers!

Four Inch

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2018, 03:05:53 AM »

Hey Auron,

Hope all is well.  We will most defiantly meet again; even if I have to hunt you down in Portugal, so be it!  :)   

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up