Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What percentage of height is genetic and what percentage of it is environmental?  (Read 4645 times)

MrHandsome

I've heard of studies quoting that 80% of height is genetic and 20% is environmental. If that is the case then certainly having a bad upbringing can stunt your growth.

onemorefoot

The real thing is that we dont know a sh+! About growth, just see Dennis Rodman , nobody in hell knows what happened to him. The cases when fathers are 5' And the sons end being 6 2", And Many times there wasnt a tall relative, all the fking family is short, do you think we can start discussing percentages?
Budget will determine my future.

Body Builder

97%+ genetic.
3% or less environmental.

If only 80% was genetic, then that means that the same man with good nutrition would have been 1.90 but with bad nutrition 1.60 and less.
This is ridiculous. Max 3-4cm more you can gain with good nutrition, not 30cm!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:12:59 PM by Body Builder »

MrHandsome

97%+ genetic.
3% or less environmental.

If only 80% was genetic, then than means that the same man with good nutrition would have been 1.90 but with bad nutrition 1.60 and less.
This is ridiculous. Max 3-4cm more you can gain with good nutrition, not 30cm!

Yeah makes sense. Honestly environment is only probably 3-5 percent.

Penguinn

Even 5% of total height is a lot.
For a 5'7er(170cm), 5% is 8.5cms which is almost 3.5 inches. Even for a 5'2er, it's over 3 inches.

There's just no way 20% of height is controlled by your environment; unless they mean 20% within a range. For example if the male range is 5'2 to 6'5 and they mean 20% of the 15 inch range which is 3 inches.. that's relatively more sensible.

IwannaBeTaller

Even 5% of total height is a lot.
For a 5'7er(170cm), 5% is 8.5cms which is almost 3.5 inches. Even for a 5'2er, it's over 3 inches.

There's just no way 20% of height is controlled by your environment; unless they mean 20% within a range. For example if the male range is 5'2 to 6'5 and they mean 20% of the 15 inch range which is 3 inches.. that's relatively more sensible.

These percentage numbers are based on the average height - meaning that if a person is 170, and the average is 178, 80% of these 8 cm difference are genetic and 20% (which is 1.6 cms) are environmental.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Penguinn

These percentage numbers are based on the average height - meaning that if a person is 170, and the average is 178, 80% of these 8 cm difference are genetic and 20% (which is 1.6 cms) are environmental.

That creates another problem. If 2 kids, 1 with 6' parents and one with 5'5 parents are both 2 inches below average, is it still only 80% genetic? It's possible cause having 6' parents isn't a 100% guarantee your genes won't set you up to be below average.

onemorefoot

Then, why the average height in Holland  has increased 14 cm in the last century? Because of genetics or better nutrition? Why the average height in USA has been the same since the last 50-60 years? Do you think nutrition in developed countries has reached its peak together with sanity? If yes why the average height in Norway or Holland continues increasing? I almost agree that genetics is the most importan predictor, although there are Many things we dont know yet.

google42

Then, why the average height in Holland  has increased 14 cm in the last century? Because of genetics or better nutrition? Why the average height in USA has been the same since the last 50-60 years? Do you think nutrition in developed countries has reached its peak together with sanity? If yes why the average height in Norway or Holland continues increasing? I almost agree that genetics is the most importan predictor, although there are Many things we dont know yet.
I read somewhere that it's partially do to better nutrition and natural selection, taller people there have more kids than shorter people. Genetics also play a big role in determining height, I think there are over 100 genes that have an affect on height. There are many factors at play.

IwannaBeTaller

Actually it has stopped increasing since 1990.

onemorefoot

Actually it has stopped increasing since 1990.
Some studies claim that they are still getting taller, you know, there are Many contradictions in controversial topics

MrHandsome

Honestly it can't be in my head, the younger generation seems to be getting taller and many others agree with me. What's your opinion on this topic?

onemorefoot

I dont think the new generation is that tall, even in UK the average is still 5 10", And I think that we are reaching our top potential for growth, I dont think the average Will ever be 6 2" , although in some places un the US where are pure scandinavian people I can tell you that there the average is higher, like 6", but not more.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Honestly it can't be in my head, the younger generation seems to be getting taller and many others agree with me. What's your opinion on this topic?

Well why am i shorter than my dad then?

Auron

Use your goddamn brain please.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Use your goddamn brain please.

Will you ever stop embarrassing yourself with your little crusade against me?

Auron

Will you ever stop embarrassing yourself with your little crusade against me?
I'm sorry but you're so retarded that sometimes I can't help it.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

I'm sorry but you're so retarded that sometimes I can't help it.

Ahh monegal fanboys at their best, whinning whole day about insulting their favourite doc and then posting crap like this.

Your pain is delicious

Auron

Ahh monegal fanboys at their best, whinning whole day about insulting their favourite doc and then posting crap like this.

Your pain is delicious
You know what's delicious? knowing your life sucks to the point that you want to suicide yourself. Do it already, you're just garbage anyways.

onemorefoot

You should be at least 6', just God( if exists), knows what the hell happened, but you still have ll, maybe HGH is correlated with that injustice, dont know.

google42

about the whole younger kids are taller: there were these kids that came into my college just for a tour and they were grade 11 and 12s, but they weren't that much taller and most seemed to be around average. quite a few were short too.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

You know what's delicious? knowing your life sucks to the point that you want to suicide yourself. Do it already, you're just garbage anyways.

lmao

You should be at least 6', just God( if exists), know what the hell happened, but you still have ll, maybe HGH is correlated with that injustice, dont know.

Ye but would be cool to be 5'11 without having my bones snapped in half

about the whole younger kids are taller: there were these kids that came into my college just for a tour and they were grade 11 and 12s, but they weren't that much taller and most seemed to be around average. quite a few were short too.

Agreed, height here at this point is pretty stable too

IwannaBeTaller

Pretty messed up comment to be honest. Honestly, mods, this should be removed, as far as I know harassing other users like this is not allowed here?

Auron

Pretty messed up comment to be honest. Honestly, mods, this should be removed, as far as I know harassing other users like this is not allowed here?
Usually, in a well mod'ed forum, my comments would be deleted. But this forum is mod'ed like  .

Jack1066

To clarify to people, the 20%-80% rule is based on averages, not individuals. Northern European white people tend to have high heritability (80% on average) whereas people in West Africa might have closer to 65% heritability.

If the average height in a country is 180 cm, and a man is 185 cm, and the average heritability is 80%, then 80% of that difference (4 cm) can be explained by genetics and 20% (1 cm) by nutrition.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-much-of-human-height/

This is assuming nutrition and heritability within the normal range and obviously only works for averages or for very rough estimates on individuals. Obviously individual cases are more complicated.

Anorexia if untreated, or malnutrition for example would stunt your growth a lot more, perhaps 4-6 inches. But malnutrition is NOT caused by skipping meals or not eating your greens. People in the western world are very unlikely to grow up malnourished, unless they live in extreme poverty, so I wouldn't worry about that.

google42

To clarify to people, the 20%-80% rule is based on averages, not individuals. Northern European white people tend to have high heritability (80% on average) whereas people in West Africa might have closer to 65% heritability.

If the average height in a country is 180 cm, and a man is 185 cm, and the average heritability is 80%, then 80% of that difference (4 cm) can be explained by genetics and 20% (1 cm) by nutrition.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-much-of-human-height/

This is assuming nutrition and heritability within the normal range and obviously only works for averages or for very rough estimates on individuals. Obviously individual cases are more complicated.

Anorexia if untreated, or malnutrition for example would stunt your growth a lot more, perhaps 4-6 inches. But malnutrition is NOT caused by skipping meals or not eating your greens. People in the western world are very unlikely to grow up malnourished, unless they live in extreme poverty, so I wouldn't worry about that.

this makes sense. thanks for clarifying.

Bigpoppapump

No one can really pin point the exact reason people reach certain heights

A lot of it can be luck plain and simple

The younger generation are definitely taller for reasons Ive said before, these include more hormone laden food, less stress than older generations, it is for example far easier to pass exams nowadays due to the fact they are undoubtedly easier and access to the internet makes research learning a lot lot easier, in general as well their parents spoil them far more and the vast majority get what they want when they want, this leads to a relaxed mood and a happy existence which in turn keeps growth hormone balanced.

Having excessively low bodyfat can stunt growth potentially as can excessive strenuous exercise, the exercise of don't excessively can put the body under huge strain and what little food or energy they are eating is going towards tepairing exhausted sore bodies instead of growing. Poor sleep is also likely a factor as hgh peaks when you sleep.

Endocrinologists cannot accurately predict a persons height, I remember numerous peiople at school who were told by doctors they'd end up this or that because of certain factors and I can't recall a single case where the doctor was right.

Hgh if taken early enough and in enough amounts during growth years can help people grow taller, the sad reality is because of the cost of it it is usually discouraged, when it is administered it is done so in amounts which typically make little or no difference as it's neither frequent or high enough. I wish to fk I had taken it when younger, I'm certain I'd have been 2.5-4" taller. I was a very very poor sleeper when younger I'm convinced that had something to do with my adult height. I also possibly burnt way way too much energy exercising

Jack1066

Even smoking 10 cigarettes a day during growing years is only shown to stunt growth by an inch, I imagine doing a lot of exercise and sleeping very little isn't going to hurt you too much.

The people with really stunted growth are the kids in India eating one bowl of lentils and rice a day all their lives and having really bad illnesses from insanitary conditions.

There's a reason that height began to plateau all over the western world nearly 50 years ago according to all statistics.

I do not believe younger people are significantly taller. I do notice that middle and upper class people are.

Body Builder

No one can really pin point the exact reason people reach certain heights

A lot of it can be luck plain and simple

The younger generation are definitely taller for reasons Ive said before, these include more hormone laden food, less stress than older generations, it is for example far easier to pass exams nowadays due to the fact they are undoubtedly easier and access to the internet makes research learning a lot lot easier, in general as well their parents spoil them far more and the vast majority get what they want when they want, this leads to a relaxed mood and a happy existence which in turn keeps growth hormone balanced.

Having excessively low bodyfat can stunt growth potentially as can excessive strenuous exercise, the exercise of don't excessively can put the body under huge strain and what little food or energy they are eating is going towards tepairing exhausted sore bodies instead of growing. Poor sleep is also likely a factor as hgh peaks when you sleep.

Endocrinologists cannot accurately predict a persons height, I remember numerous peiople at school who were told by doctors they'd end up this or that because of certain factors and I can't recall a single case where the doctor was right.

Hgh if taken early enough and in enough amounts during growth years can help people grow taller, the sad reality is because of the cost of it it is usually discouraged, when it is administered it is done so in amounts which typically make little or no difference as it's neither frequent or high enough. I wish to fk I had taken it when younger, I'm certain I'd have been 2.5-4" taller. I was a very very poor sleeper when younger I'm convinced that had something to do with my adult height. I also possibly burnt way way too much energy exercising
From bad sleeping and a lot of working out maybe you lost 1 inch and it is too much.
4 inches is way out of reality.

And Jack has complete right.
Don't try to justify your lack of height. It wasn't your fault, you are a healthy person with less than average height like me too and amost all of the members here.
It is ridiculous to believe that you stunted your growth because you didn't eat only protein and vegetables or because you didn't sleep 9 hours per day.
Almost none teenager do these things and still many end up more than average height.

So people should accept that not all of us were born to be tall physically and it is not our fault. We are completely healthy and no less masculine compared to a 6.2 ft guy but we are simply not tall enough and that's where LL comes to lose our problems.
Yes we were born a little unlucky but nothing more. And at 99% of cases we couldn't have done anything physically to avoid being short.

vegeta24

What is the point of this thread? Height is 99% genetic. Unless you were severely malnourished, you were born to be that height and that's what it's gonna be. It doesn't matter if your dad is tall and your mom is short or so on and so forth. Obviously having taller parents increases the chance of you being taller, but it doesn't guarantee you will even be close to their height. Height is complicated and geneticists still can't pinpoint exactly what height an individual will be. I just don't see the point in dwelling on things like these "I didn't get enough sleep, I didn't eat enough, I smoked" Chances are those didn't do much to effect your height at all. Genes literally dictate everything about us.

vegeta24

double post
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up