Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestions for a fake story for the workspace regarding the frames  (Read 4996 times)

fivetenneeded2016

hello all, i mailed dr. catagni and asked for a possibility for going back a week after the surgery and doing lengthening at home. I could arrange a physio and a dietician to look after me and i stay with my friends.

the reason i want to go back is that i wont be getting a sabattical for that long and i dont want to lose my job since i would need to pay the debts.

so would have to go to work. thankfully its a desk job(i code).

i was wondering what story to cook up for the frames that i would be in for an year. Also any idea if my employers might throw me out due to the picture they would have in mind about my health? i mean externals look very painful to watch, so they might consider throwing me out? or wouldnt they?

i thought of telling them that i had dropped the dumbles on the shin at the gym which broke my tibs :p
any suggestions?
tibias: april 2018 to july 2019 under dr pili/catagni- HEF.
femurs: feb 2021 and sep 2021 dr halil-precise 2
159-181.
came. lengthened. moving on.

biggerdreams

Re: suggestions for a fake story for the workspace regarding the frames
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »

Any respectable employer (or human) would know that it doesn't take a year to heal from a normal broken bone. It may require a few months but definitely not as long as you'll be in frames. They'll also know that no doctor is going to put you in frames for a normal bone break.

Your best bet is to say you have a genetic bone deformity that is being corrected but its a pretty slippery slope to try to get away with a year of lies. Probably better chance with internals.

onemorefoot

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:15 PM »

Tell them you Will fix a deformity that causes you problems
Budget will determine my future.

Jack1066

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »

Limb lengthening can be used to treat leg length discrepancies, which can cause osteoarthritis and other problems. You could say you are doing that if you need to.

onemorefoot

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:05:39 AM »

Although they Will see antes increase un height

Jack1066

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »

Hm, yeah. Maybe he could say it affected his posture... or that the fixators broke and just kept clicking away, and he ended up much taller...  :D

onemorefoot

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 01:46:55 AM »

Hm, yeah. Maybe he could say it affected his posture... or that the fixators broke and just kept clicking away, and he ended up much taller...  :D
Hahaha, I Hope the Boss is not a genius

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 03:55:28 AM »

No story would work... sorry. Maybe if it was unilateral, then change work and then do another unilateral. Going around with 2 big cages in your legs is gonna raise suspicion.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

rasteride

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:46:33 AM »

Well if hiding is that important, maybe you can look into hybrid methods like LON and LATN? That, you can probably stay in frames for like 3-4 months then after it's removed, you can make something up while consolidating.

Real fractures can take a few months to fully heal, so you can probably say you broke both legs in an accident or something.

biggerdreams

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:52:24 AM »

Well if hiding is that important, maybe you can look into hybrid methods like LON and LATN? That, you can probably stay in frames for like 3-4 months then after it's removed, you can make something up while consolidating.

Real fractures can take a few months to fully heal, so you can probably say you broke both legs in an accident or something.

When was the last time you saw a person in metal frames from a normal bone break?

The reality is, there is no good excuse outside of maybe x-legs. Even a difference in leg length isn't going to warrant two frames. The height increase is the least you'll have to worry about. Best bet is deformity. Or if you can convince them to let you work remotely.

rasteride

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 05:55:14 AM »

When was the last time you saw a person in metal frames from a normal bone break?

The reality is, there is no good excuse outside of maybe x-legs. Even a difference in leg length isn't going to warrant two frames. The height increase is the least you'll have to worry about. Best bet is deformity. Or if you can convince them to let you work remotely.

I was assuming he'd have enough time for lengthening at least (the required time with frames), then go back to work after 3 or so months with an IM nail. But if he wants to work immediately after the operation, then yeah, that's a no-go. Might not be even physically possible.

tikal

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »

Ur dr allw u that leave clinic after surgery?

biggerdreams

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »

That will depend highly on the doctor. Most won't advise on leaving during lengthening.

Penguinn

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »

1. Correcting bow legs justifies the frames being on both legs, not sure about the time though.

2. Bike accident that broke both your legs and now they need to be repaired and lengthened.

biggerdreams

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 11:50:18 PM »

1. Correcting bow legs justifies the frames being on both legs, not sure about the time though.

2. Bike accident that broke both your legs and now they need to be repaired and lengthened.

How would a bike accident deem legs need to be lengthened?

Penguinn

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 05:46:01 AM »

How would a bike accident deem legs need to be lengthened?

Accidents where the bone is crushed in some places requires the bone to be removed. Usually this happens in one leg and the leg is lengthened to match the other, but it's justifiable to be lengthening both legs to their original lengths with the excuse of not wanting to disturb biomechanics.

There are legitimate cases where people end up 1.5" shorter after accidents. He just has to spin this around.

tikal

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »

which country do u do surgery?
and tell about price
when do u plan for do it ?

llendpoint

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »

Are there no trousers that hide the frames? I never thought hiding frames was an issue.

biggerdreams

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 03:54:09 AM »

Are there no trousers that hide the frames? I never thought hiding frames was an issue.

Maybe in the 80s when bell bottoms were in fashion

Chris

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »

If your job is important to you, you should go for fully weight-bearing internals.

If this is too expensive, do unilateral lengthening with frames (one leg at a time). A tailor can easily add some elastic fabric to each leg of your trousers so you can hide the frames easily. For the leg discrepancy get some insoles for each centimeter.

I can tell you from my personal experience, that you won't be able to go to work, school, etc shortly after surgery.
I'm a university student and I lost my not so important part-time job (a desk job) because I was sitting in a wheelchair and obviously had a lot of pain while working.
I got the same job again once I only needed a single crutch to move around.

You will be bad-tempered and you will only be able to think about leg lengthening, you won't be any productive at all and rather be a burden to every person around you instead.
How are you planning to go from your house to the working place? You can't drive a car. How to reach your desk? Slowly limping down the hallway with your walker while making groaning sounds every time you move? Are there elevators and is the interior of you workplace suitable for wheelchairs? What about the restrooms? Doing a wee-wee will cost you and your employer about 15 minutes. You will have to turn the screws on your fixators several times a day and to take your medication. What about your crucial daily exercises? How many hours will it be each day that you are at work, but in fact are not working?

You will have to take some time off work for the lengthening phase.

I think the best fake story is still a traffic accident in which your legs got smashed. Things like that really happen.
But your story wont hold up if the people around you start to notice you getting taller and taller, which is another good reason to not be at work during that time.
It only works for people how don't see you that often.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:28:17 AM by Chris »
I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »

Yes, its written on Dr. Catagni/Pilis attachment and had asked him on mail as well, he said even though its not adviceable, but to return to work its alright after a week or two.
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

Maybe in the 80s when bell bottoms were in fashion
bell bottoms could cover the TSF frame? and anyone has any idea how bulky it could look like? or rephrasing it, does it look bulkier than regular ilizarov?
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »

Accidents where the bone is crushed in some places requires the bone to be removed. Usually this happens in one leg and the leg is lengthened to match the other, but it's justifiable to be lengthening both legs to their original lengths with the excuse of not wanting to disturb biomechanics.

There are legitimate cases where people end up 1.5" shorter after accidents. He just has to spin this around.
I guess bone deformity by birth, like x legs or something on that line would be a better excuse as said an employer is unlikely to belive that i m put in frames on both my legs, for an accident and that too for so long.
Any idea if employers like the big 4(google, fb, amazon, microsoft) allow taking a medical leave for 3 months, my company happens to be the least employee centric among these.
 Given that my performance is still on par, would it still be an issue, due to the wheelchair issue?
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »

If your job is important to you, you should go for fully weight-bearing internals.

If this is too expensive, do unilateral lengthening with frames (one leg at a time). A tailor can easily add some elastic fabric to each leg of your trousers so you can hide the frames easily. For the leg discrepancy get some insoles for each centimeter.

I can tell you from my personal experience, that you won't be able to go to work, school, etc shortly after surgery.
I'm a university student and I lost my not so important part-time job (a desk job) because I was sitting in a wheelchair and obviously had a lot of pain while working.

You will be bad-tempered and you will only be able to think about leg lengthening, you won't be any productive at all and rather be a burden to every person around you instead.
How are you planning to go from your house to the working place? You can't drive a car. How to reach your desk? Slowly limping down the hallway with your walker while making groaning sounds every time you move? Are there elevators and is the interior of you workplace suitable for wheelchairs? What about the restrooms? Doing a wee-wee will cost you and your employer about 15 minutes. You will have to turn the screws on your fixators several times a day and to take your medication. What about your crucial daily exercises? How many hours will it be each day that you are at work, but in fact are not working?

I think the best fake story is still a traffic accident in which your legs got smashed. Things like that really happen.
But your story wont hold up if the people around you start to notice you getting taller and taller, which is another good reason to not be at work during that time.
Hi Chris,
Hope you are doing better,  i am reconsidering the situations that u have mentioned. Is it really too hard to code or do a desk job for 8hours? I plan to work in the day and stretch and lengthen at night. The reasons i choose to work, at that time, are:
1. i dont want to lose my job,
2. i feel working would relive me out of depresssion, by trying to divert my mind.

But is working under that condition really that hard? Is it the constant pain or something else physological that could hinder work?

Also doing TSF, any idea how long one would be on a wheelchair for? I saw some catagni patients( lumiere and may be some one else too) released of the frames in under an year (9-10 months for 8-9 cm), so i assume they got rid of wheelchair by month 6-7?
Is it likely?
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »

bowed legs sounds good!
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 04:49:22 PM »

The reasons i dont want a LON/LATN are:
1. i choose to do it with dr pili/catagni for the safety factor.
2. For LATN i would have gone to Dr Barinov, but his rule mandates my stay in the clinic till nail insertion, which could take upto about 3-4 months, and i doubt my company would allow a leave that long, forget a sabatical.
159-181.

fivetenneeded2016

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »

Another question:
Given your exeperince, what do u think is the minimum time it could take to get back to work, given its a desk job and i do externals using TSF? And how long would the whole excercising/ strectching, and turning the screws going to take per day? Is it doable in the evening just after work?

I plan to goto work on the cab the company provides. I am the only passenger on the cab. So travelling not an issue.
And for moving around in office i plan to use an electric wheelchair. Office has arrangements for the disabled i guess.

For peeing too, with the wheelchair I dont think moving around would be much of an issue.

Unilateral would take just tooooooo long to do an external.

The work hours are flexible, even work for home is allowed. But being a new employee to work i plan to work at the office itself because it would get the job done more efficently since u have co-workers u could discuss with and understand the job better.

How long do u suggest i take an off/ (work from home) so i get a good confidence to go back to work and be productive?
159-181.

Chris

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 09:29:06 PM »

Sorry, but I don't think that you're prepared and ready for LL yet  :-\

You should know by now what exercises have to be done and how much time you would have to spend each day to care for yourself.
I can try to make an approximate list for you, but it is crucial to make your individual plan with your doctor and your family, partner or who ever will help you.

You "guess" that your office has arrangements for the disabled, but you need to know for sure.
You have to work on a plan for what happens if you can't work at all and even lose your job, especially when you have mortgage/debts to pay off.
What about the costs in case of complications? Have you thought about that too, especially when you can't work at the same time?
I run into complications and luckily I still have parents who covered my additional bills. Without them, I would be sort of crippled by now. Don't take that risk lightly.

I meant unilateral LON. You have one big surgery on your first leg. Then you do the lengthening on your first leg while still having a healthy leg and most of your mobility left.
Then you have a small and cheap surgery in which you get the frame removed and the nail in your leg locked. Then you live with a discrepancy in leg length for a few month until the muscles in your first leg are strong enough again. That's why you need insoles for your shoes. After that, you proceed with the second leg.

There will be 3-4 surgeries and it takes more time, but it won't be really much more expensive and you keep your mobility and stay independent from the goodwill of others.
I was forced to live with one nail locked in my right leg and with on frame on my left leg and trust me, LL is a hole lot better if you can use one leg fully.
When I do femurs, I will be going the unilateral rout myself right from the beginning.

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.
Pages: [1]   Go Up