Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I forget the idea of LL?  (Read 2357 times)

James24

Should I forget the idea of LL?
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »

Guys I'm so afraid.. and so lost with thoughts

I used to look up to the surgery.. I saw it as hope, I saw it as a way to fix this

But now, Overlooking the dangerous permanent effects of Limb Lengthening, I am scared.
I mean, we all look to it so desperately, thinking it will solve everything.
But little do we know that our opinions will change around 10 years laters..

There are many serious side effects.. They're all listed in another topic by "Uppland"
Please check it out before making a decision.

But to list a few, LL Could lead to:
- nerve damage (numbness, altered sensation, painful supersensitivity (from neuromas formations),
- paralysis, or reduced motor function or response times, especially in high level sports);
- pain and stiffness from internal trauma and scarring;

And so much more..

No matter how good the doc, These things have a tendency of happening
Each has a low probability of happening, But all together, There's a good chance that one of 'em will happen to you..

I really want to undergo this surgery..
But taking a serious look at these side effects, I'm scared to death..
I don't know what to do, or what decision to make..

please help me..

I heard that doing under 5 cm's would lead to basically no side effects.. is that true?
It's not about how tall you are in the eyes of the world, It's about how you feel about yourself as an individual.

Body Builder

Re: Should I forget the idea of LL?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:40:59 PM »

LL is only for the brave who have reasons to risk however.
If the added height does not make a good difference in your life then it is ridiculous to risk for minimal to zero social gains.
Thats why men more than average height or girls more than 1.55 is ridiculous to do LL.

But for short men LL really helps so the risk imo worth. But if you have unreal expectations or you are very afraid of comolications then LL is clearly not for you.

onemorefoot

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »

Depends on your height. This freaking surgery is unfortunately the only way to fix what nature did with you. Think about what is more important ( if you are not that short), a great social Life or a good walking with chances un some Sports. Think fast, this cr++ Life is very short.
Budget will determine my future.

paco1

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »

If You are around 5,7 You should forget this surgery

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:31:09 PM »

Honestly if I can walk, speed walk and jog comfortably then the decision is easy, and comon if the risk was so high why would doctors keep this surgery going or even available?, India is understandable considering every possible surgery is legal there ( including eye changinflg surgery) but why would the U.S allow this if the risk was so high? Does not make sense to me this procedure seems legit.
167cm Morning & 166.7 Evening.
Goal: 182cm, Tibia and Femur 14-15cm.
Possibly in Russia during Summer of 2019.

James24

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »

You guys have very good points

@Paco1
I'm 5'6 1/2 (168 / 169 )
Barely making it to 5'7..

@giorgi98
Very good point

@onemorefoot
I'm just 5'6 1/2.. Idk if that's really short but I know it's below average for sure.. And however short or not short the height may be, It has impacted my life greatly.. I mean, my life literally consists of school, studies, and staying home taking care of 3 aquariums. No social life whatsoever because of my insecurity.. (and yes, I do see a therapist. Have been for a year now)

@Body Builder
You have no idea how eager I was to undergo the surgery when I found out about it last year.
and I accepted to risk it without hesitation
I was prepared for the pain, the long waiting period, and the risks.

I don't have unreal expectations.. I just want to make up for the fact that I was meant to be of average height.. atleast in my country.
Just to know i'm not "short" was all I was looking for..
I definitely don't want to go for 6 ft whatsoever..
If I even manage to get to 5'8 i'm happy with it, because that's where I was meant to be.

Now I don't know if I'm short in anyone's opinion, although I have been called short numerous times by literally everyone in my life.
Hell, I even met family members that went "Oh you're still so small, why haven't you grown?"

Do you think 5'6 1/2 is short?
Do you think the surgery would be worth it?
even if I were to only do it for less that 6 cm's?
I'm willing to accept all the risks and pain with no hesitation ONLY If I know it's worth it for sure..
It's not about how tall you are in the eyes of the world, It's about how you feel about yourself as an individual.

Body Builder

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »

At 5.65 you are in the borders of short to average short. I don't think that at this height people should believe that youare really short but still you face a lot of disadvantagew in your life due to your height.

So I think that you have a lot to benefit from gaining about 6-7 cm but LL is not a game and I can't advice someone to do it if he is not very sure that he could take the risks and that he really needs it.
So the best to answer if it worths for you is you and only.

helloworld

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »

Luckily you are in full control of the risk. Let me explain: There are two things of risk:
1. breaking leg & inserting internal rod
2. lengthening

The first has all the risks controlled. Even if your leg get small unintended side fracture, this is not serious, as you just need to never start lengthening for 1 year until everything is healed. There is almost no chance of nerver damage, non-union, soft tissue damage, or pretty much anything else just from operation.

The real risk is from lengthening. But this is what you control yourself. So if there is any sign of non-union, malunion, soft tissue or nerve damage, you just stop lengthening.

I was also very scared that something would go wrong. So what I did is lengthen very slowly at 1.5 cm and later 0.7 cm per month. Thus the rate of growth was close to what naturally occurs in babies and teenagers. Further, I always checked if bone formation was good. And once I had a little discomfort in my nerve, which the doctor said was no problem and would go away after lengthening. But I wanted to be certain so I slowed down lengthening, until the discomfort stopped.

Other, just lengthen to 6 cm as soon as possible, having a huge gap and then hope and pray that nerves and soft tissue is still OK and that bones heal. That is of course risky indeed.

1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
surgery Nov/Dec 2016, stopped lengthening April 2017
Dr. Monegal patient

Datum

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »

Helloworld you are lying. 2 people you know got nerve damage during surgery.
Banned: Using Multiple Accounts (Datum)

helloworld

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »

Helloworld you are lying. 2 people you know got nerve damage during surgery.
What??? 2 people that I know got nerve damage during surgery???
Who?
I honestly do not know anybody who got nerve damage!
Heared of one patient that says might have gotten nerve damage but from lengthening too rapidly not from surgery.
I honestly never hard of case that nerve damage would be cuase by the surgery, and am sure nobody that I know has nerve damage.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

MirinHeight

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »

Who?
Heared of one patient that says might have gotten nerve damage but from lengthening too rapidly not from surgery.
I honestly never hard of case that nerve damage would be cuase by the surgery, and am sure nobody that I know has nerve damage.

how long did 5 cm lengthening take for you man?
I am in a similar boat as you (179 cm) want to lengthen around 4 cm
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

James24

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 08:15:24 AM »

Thanks for replying everyone :)

I will give myself some more time to think and reflect on it.

But all your opinions are greatly appreciated :)

Datum

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »

Who?

Yes they got nerve damage during surgery. You must know who they are. i wonder why you lie.

helloworld

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »

Either you are lying or you are confusing me with somebody else. I am a Monegal patient, and personally only know other patients of his, and there definately has not been a case of nerve damage in any.
If you are really talking about Monegal's patients then you are lying or your source of information has misinformed you.
If you still believe you got correct information message me the names of the people that I supposedly know in private message.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

Datum

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 06:02:48 PM »

I asked NI. He said perhaps you didn't meet them because they were operated before you. I'm sorry but it's true they have nerve damage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up