Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery time for 4 - 4.5 cm ?  (Read 3086 times)

liltunechi

Recovery time for 4 - 4.5 cm ?
« on: August 17, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »

hey guys

im most likely flying to get Ilzarov by either Mitkovic or Kulesh next summer.

Looking to do 4cm-4.5cm.

a few question i hope could get answered.

1) will I be getting the same amount of height as to what I lengthened? I remember hearing some people lose some mm's when they take the apparatus off, so if someone could clarify that I would be greatful

2) since im not lengthening a lot, by how long could I start walking unaided again? I will stretch, and do all the right things, NO WAY WILL I GET COMPLACENT WITH THE RECOVERY

thanks guy

Overdozer

Re: Recovery time for 4 - 4.5 cm ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »

1. First of all it's hard to accurately measure the lengthened bone gap to the mms. Then yes, you may lose some mms but not after you take to externals off as that doesn't make any sense (your bones should be quite strong at that point), but during the consolidation phase, when your bone gap is forming and some pin bending may occur resulting in lost length. The amount of lost mms depends on the strength of the external fixator, quality of its application and the amount of weight bearing you do. You may also lose mms in the (possible) deformity correction stage.
2. The "recovery" time is individual, the usual healing index for tibia lengthening in adults is 1.5-2 months per CM lengthened. So in your case you may most likely remove the externals in 6 to 9 months. Note that you can walk unaided with the externals still on, at least with the regular circular external frames, as the bone fixation strength is godly, but that doesn't mean a thing. Removing the externals also doesn't mean you are recovered, after the removal you will need at least few months to get used to your new gait and walk normally and around an year to feel "fully recovered".

Above applies only if you don't face any serious complications during the LL process, such as nonunion, delayed consolidation, "ballerina feet" etc.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

liltunechi

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »

1. First of all it's hard to accurately measure the lengthened bone gap to the mms. Then yes, you may lose some mms but not after you take to externals off as that doesn't make any sense (your bones should be quite strong at that point), but during the consolidation phase, when your bone gap is forming and some pin bending may occur resulting in lost length. The amount of lost mms depends on the strength of the external fixator, quality of its application and the amount of weight bearing you do. You may also lose mms in the (possible) deformity correction stage.
2. The "recovery" time is individual, the usual healing index for tibia lengthening in adults is 1.5-2 months per CM lengthened. So in your case you may most likely remove the externals in 6 to 9 months. Note that you can walk unaided with the externals still on, at least with the regular circular external frames, as the bone fixation strength is godly, but that doesn't mean a thing. Removing the externals also doesn't mean you are recovered, after the removal you will need at least few months to get used to your new gait and walk normally and around an year to feel "fully recovered".

Above applies only if you don't face any serious complications during the LL process, such as nonunion, delayed consolidation, "ballerina feet" etc.

Thanks a lot buddy. I saw your diary, very inspiring.

I am also slightly contemplating arm lengthening too, around 3cm each arm. I know you lengthened a similar amount too, could you please share your recovery? Would you recommend lengthening one arm at a time, whilst lengthening tibia's too, or should arm lengthening be done once you have fully recovered from leg lengthening?

Again, thanks for the info and all the best buddy!

jojo

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

Is it faster with fumrs?

Overdozer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »

or should arm lengthening be done once you have fully recovered from leg lengthening?
This. You need your arms to move around when lengthening legs and vice versa.

I'm in the consolidation phase, that means I'm waiting for my bone gap to fill, nothing to report on recovery.

Is it faster with fumrs?
Femur bone heals faster than tibia.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up