Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiding the surgery anyone??  (Read 1270 times)

Frogger

Hiding the surgery anyone??
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »

Did any of you guys do the surgery without telling anyone and attempt to keep it a secret?

How did you go about doing so, and what was the outcome?    :-X

Jack1066

Re: Hiding the surgery anyone??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »

Probably not the desired outcome for most people. I think it is a hard thing to hide. Maybe easier if you are under 25 but you will still be taller and also walking funny when your family see you next.

There is stigma attached to LL but it is probably better not to hide it so that you have the necessary support. That said I'm a hypocrite and would prefer to hide it too if possible haha.

I think that if you feel that the shame of having done it, supposing people find out, will be stronger than the benefit, you should probably not do it.

Body Builder

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »

Only my parents and my gf at that time knew about my first LL.
I was 23 yo and many thought I had a late growth spurt but most people easily forgot about my height increase as I was short to begin with and I remained a little less than average so the increase was not huge. Only people about my initial height saw my height increase but most of them tokd nothing and soon comoletely forgot it. Also I wore huge elevator shoes some months before LL and flat shoes the first months after to camouflage it better.
I said I had a bike accident and all of them believed it.

However my second LL will be another thing as I'll become from less than average to almost tall and I'll be taller or equal if the majority of people I know. The difference between 1.75 and 1.81-2 (my height after second LL) is much more obvious than betweem 1.68 (initial height) and 1.75 and I will be about 31 when I'll do it so no late spurt can happen (although even at 23 can't happen too but mist people are naive and believed it).
So I don't know what I'll do, I think I'll tell it only to my 2 best friends and my parents of course and nothing to anyone else.
After all I don't care about what other people think, I only want to become taller and still functional.

Frogger

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »

Interesting input indeed.

I'm planning on getting it done at 23 years old, in the early summer of 2019 and planning taking a gap year for the fall semester to provide extra time for recovery (Mid May - Late December (Christmas). I'll be telling my family and friends that I'll be going on a backpacking trip in Europe for half a year and exploring the world since it's my last chance to do so before grad school and the corporate world. When I return taller, I would just say it's a late growth spurt, probably from all the exercise and hiking (or some altitude bs).

I would be content with 5 to 6cm going from 5'6.5 to around 5'9, which wouldn't be that drastic of a change, I assume? Plus I could also wear lifts the months before and then switch to flats after the surgery.

I would also be getting internal femurs so not much scarring and not too much lengthening to throw off proportions (my tibias and femurs look like they are almost the same size currently)---with Birkholtz.

I'm just afraid that I won't recover in time by Christmas if I get it done in May, and that my gait won't be normal when I return home.

As you see, I already have been formulating a plan for this lol, what do you think?

MirinHeight

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:54:54 AM »

depends on the amount lengthened and age

I am only doing 3-3.5 cm and am 23 at the time
but will be 25 when I will have the surgery done, so I can easily hide it.
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021
Pages: [1]   Go Up