Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 109555 times)

jakejake98

Re: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »

Sorry if some of these questions have already been asked + answered and they may seem a bit ignorant.

If you had the finance to do two surgeries, what stopped you from doing two?
Was there an element of fear (1) of doing two or was it because you feel like you would be satisfied at 5'9?

Would you ever consider doing another surgery to gain more height, or are you satisfied?
Do you feel like the height you've achieved is essentially all you wanted or is there a chance you might come back for more?

Would you ever have chosen another LL doctor?
I mean, if you didn't have the finance for Dr Paley, would you without question have endeavored to raise enough for him?

(1) With fear I mean factors such as recovery-time, how much you recover and proportions etc.

Purushrottam

« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »

Sorry if some of these questions have already been asked + answered and they may seem a bit ignorant.

If you had the finance to do two surgeries, what stopped you from doing two?
Was there an element of fear (1) of doing two or was it because you feel like you would be satisfied at 5'9?

Would you ever consider doing another surgery to gain more height, or are you satisfied?
Do you feel like the height you've achieved is essentially all you wanted or is there a chance you might come back for more?

Would you ever have chosen another LL doctor?
I mean, if you didn't have the finance for Dr Paley, would you without question have endeavored to raise enough for him?

(1) With fear I mean factors such as recovery-time, how much you recover and proportions etc.

I can finance another surgery with the raise that I just got. However I'm not going to do it. It was a really taxing experience overall. Going from 5'6" to 5'9" was a huge change. Going from 5'9" to 5'11" isn't really that big of a deal to me

I essentially achieved all that I wanted. Now I'm focusing on my career and other aspects of my life.

I was originally considering going to India with Dr. Parihar. The cost was about $45,000 at the time. However my parents convinced me to go to Dr. Paley, arguing that when you take a loan, the monthly payments between $40,000 and $80,000 aren't that different. Even though I am Indian (and family friends with Dr. Parihar), going to another country would have added more stress to this already taxing experience.

Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

ok

« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

I can finance another surgery with the raise that I just got. However I'm not going to do it. It was a really taxing experience overall. Going from 5'6" to 5'9" was a huge change. Going from 5'9" to 5'11" isn't really that big of a deal to me

I essentially achieved all that I wanted. Now I'm focusing on my career and other aspects of my life.

I was originally considering going to India with Dr. Parihar. The cost was about $45,000 at the time. However my parents convinced me to go to Dr. Paley, arguing that when you take a loan, the monthly payments between $40,000 and $80,000 aren't that different. Even though I am Indian (and family friends with Dr. Parihar), going to another country would have added more stress to this already taxing experience.

Do you think Dr. Parihar is a good doctor from what you know outside this forum and that you would have had a comparable outcome?

MichaelJose

« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:37 PM »

Hey Paru - as you know we are the same height.

Are there ever days you wake up and think 'did I really go through with this?' like look at your femurs and think damn did I really do doing something so drastic.

Now I'm certainly not saying that in a negative way - as you know already, I want to do this.

Secondly, I know you've said you don't have regret - but when you think about the things that are important to you in life - do you think this was one of those achievements you had to try achieve. I look at this in terms of improvement - as in I want to maximise my career, my ability in my hobbies (e.g. tennis football) , my funniness and social skills and also my aesthetics; with height being arguably the most important for a man.

Also what is it like at family gatherings?!

Purushrottam

« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2019, 08:22:58 PM »

Hey Paru - as you know we are the same height.

Are there ever days you wake up and think 'did I really go through with this?' like look at your femurs and think damn did I really do doing something so drastic.

Not really. I honestly don't think about it that much. Also my femurs don't really look that weird anymore. After the surgery my legs were abnormally skinny compared to my upper body. I looked like one of those frat bros who only worked on 'vanity muscles' while having chicken legs. Now my leg muscles have grown quite a bit and my body looks 'normal'.

Now I'm certainly not saying that in a negative way - as you know already, I want to do this.

I know, don't worry about offending me.

Secondly, I know you've said you don't have regret - but when you think about the things that are important to you in life - do you think this was one of those achievements you had to try achieve. I look at this in terms of improvement - as in I want to maximise my career, my ability in my hobbies (e.g. tennis football) , my funniness and social skills and also my aesthetics; with height being arguably the most important for a man.

Its sort of hard to answer that. Prior to LL, I thought I had done everything possible in terms of improvement (career, hobbies, social skills). I had a pretty decent life. However I had a nagging feeling on the back of my mind that I had to make up for my lack of height. It used to be frustrating because that is the one thing you can do nothing about (other than race). Its a lot more important than people think it is. Now I get the sense that whenver something bad happens, its not because of my height, its something else that can be IMPROVED upon. There is a sense of hope.

I'm not entirely sure if I answered your question

Also what is it like at family gatherings?!

Same as before. I'm not sure if I follow

Do you think Dr. Parihar is a good doctor from what you know outside this forum and that you would have had a comparable outcome?

KiloKahn and Penguinn seem to think so. I know he isn't salesman-y and isn't that money minded (otherwise he would have raised the price of surgery to keep up with inflation). He mostly focuses on accident victims and people with deformities. I don't think there are that many cosmetic patients with him. I think you are better off asking those 2 users. Penguinn had a slower consolidation but you can probably attribute it to the air pollution in Mumbai (smoking hinders bone growth. Air pollution in Mumbai is not bad by Indian standards but still higher than what you would experience in US or EU. Akin to smoking a few packs a day).

MichaelJose

« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »

Yeah I get you and thanks for answering my questions.

So in hindsight - do you ever think that you could of been okay if you just didn't do it?

For example I see this as expectation management - I'm sure you could've got a nice wife, nice job etc without this but did you do this because you wanted more but you think your height was restricting you? I feel like that tbh.

I know if I just reduce my expectations I could have a very happy life without LL but honestly I want the best for myself and the older I get the more I see the importance of height or more specifically I should say the negative of being short. 

« Reply #285 on: February 20, 2019, 01:14:39 AM »

Puru, how do you explain your suddenly becoming taller to your close friends and family? diet, exercise and improved posture? just curious, thanks.

Purushrottam

« Reply #286 on: February 20, 2019, 05:33:26 AM »

Puru, how do you explain your suddenly becoming taller to your close friends and family? diet, exercise and improved posture? just curious, thanks.

Pretty much.

ok

« Reply #287 on: February 20, 2019, 05:50:07 AM »

KiloKahn and Penguinn seem to think so. I know he isn't salesman-y and isn't that money minded (otherwise he would have raised the price of surgery to keep up with inflation). He mostly focuses on accident victims and people with deformities. I don't think there are that many cosmetic patients with him. I think you are better off asking those 2 users. Penguinn had a slower consolidation but you can probably attribute it to the air pollution in Mumbai (smoking hinders bone growth. Air pollution in Mumbai is not bad by Indian standards but still higher than what you would experience in US or EU. Akin to smoking a few packs a day).

Few packs a day? Dude that is not true! I did some reading and it seems to be about 3-4 times in Mumbai than in the US. And it might be 3-4 cigarrates a day but not a few packs a day.

Anyway it is interesting how no one has brought up air pollution as a possible factor. Maybe using an air purifier might help.

ALso I have read both the diaries in great detail but I wanted to know if you know anything more about the doctor from outside of this community. From my research and asking a few other ortho docs he seems to be considered one of the best in India.

One more question, did you meet any real LL patients before your operation? I think I would get courage to do this only if I met a few real patients.

Purushrottam

« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2019, 03:39:33 AM »

Few packs a day? Dude that is not true! I did some reading and it seems to be about 3-4 times in Mumbai than in the US. And it might be 3-4 cigarrates a day but not a few packs a day.

Anyway it is interesting how no one has brought up air pollution as a possible factor. Maybe using an air purifier might help.

ALso I have read both the diaries in great detail but I wanted to know if you know anything more about the doctor from outside of this community. From my research and asking a few other ortho docs he seems to be considered one of the best in India.

One more question, did you meet any real LL patients before your operation? I think I would get courage to do this only if I met a few real patients.

My bad, that was a typo. I meant to say several cigarettes a day, not packs. I dont smoke so I assumed that it was the same thing.  Mumbai's pollution is not that bad compared to any other Asian metro of that size, but it is enough to impact your bone consolidation.

I don't know anything else about the doctor other than what you said, that he is considered amongst the best in India.

I met several LL patients in Florida. The Paley Insitute lets you talk to current patients and former patients. When I came to the hotel I was staying at, several other patients were there. Before my surgery, I met them and spoke to them. If you are in India I'm sure Parihar will introduce you to former patients as well.

MichaelJose

« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2019, 11:15:51 PM »

So in hindsight - do you ever think that you could of been okay if you just didn't do it?

For example I see this as expectation management - I'm sure you could've got a nice wife, nice job etc without this but did you do this because you wanted more but you think your height was restricting you? I feel like that tbh.

I know if I just reduce my expectations I could have a very happy life without LL but honestly I want the best for myself and the older I get the more I see the importance of height or more specifically I should say the negative of being short.

Hey bud - did you get a chance to reply to this?

Purushrottam

« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2019, 02:00:10 AM »

Hey bud - did you get a chance to reply to this?

Oops. I forgot to hit ‘Post’

In hindsight I would not have been OK. I used to get insanely pissed off at the fact that I had to do so much to make up for the fact that I was 5’6” and Indian. 5’6” isn’t even a bad height lol. I had a very good life on paper but I was still miserable. I kept wondering what else could it possibly be?

It was definitely leading me to a dark path ...

myloginacc

« Reply #291 on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:27 AM »

Do you feel differently about a man's height and its relation to everything else now, Puru? Or did the real world reaffirm your old views and beliefs, whatever they were?

Thanks.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

MichaelJose

« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2019, 08:56:54 AM »

Do you feel differently about a man's height and its relation to everything else now, Puru? Or did the real world reaffirm your old views and beliefs, whatever they were?

Thanks.

This is a really good question - surely the original beliefs were re-affirmed.

MichaelJose

« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »

Oops. I forgot to hit ‘Post’

In hindsight I would not have been OK. I used to get insanely pissed off at the fact that I had to do so much to make up for the fact that I was 5’6” and Indian. 5’6” isn’t even a bad height lol. I had a very good life on paper but I was still miserable. I kept wondering what else could it possibly be?

It was definitely leading me to a dark path ...

Thanks for answering pal

myloginacc

« Reply #294 on: February 22, 2019, 03:55:39 PM »

This is a really good question - surely the original beliefs were re-affirmed.

Life is far from black and white, and Puru is a really intelligent dude. Eager for his response.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Purushrottam

« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2019, 04:18:29 AM »

Thanks.

This is a really difficult question. Sorry for the delay. I had to really think about this.

Honestly, the only place where a man's height matters is probably in dating and relationships. And even then, it helps to just not be short. Being average is fine and being tall is a bonus. I go out with friends who are 6'1, 6'2, and 6'9 in different social settings. At my height I don't really feel at a disadvantage with them. When I was 5'6", I knew literally 0 people who looked like me who were in good, healthy relationships. That can make you feel really hopeless. I don't feel hopeless anymore. As a consequence, I try harder at everything else (job, gym, etc). Small things like that make you even more confident and the cycle just continues. Its like a virtuous cycle (opposite of a vicious cycle).

Career wise, I'm doing way better than I thought I'd ever do but considering that I have over 5 years of experience and live in an expensive location its not that much of a leap.

I never had trouble making friends before and I don't feel any differently now so I don't think my height really had an effect on that.

I hope that answers your question.

Life is far from black and white, and Puru is a really intelligent dude. Eager for his response.

I'm flattered that you think so, man!

Dirona

« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2019, 06:05:38 PM »

I am having a tough time with relationships and casual dating with my current height at 5 foot 6(Puru's previous height)..My friends who are dating gorgeous women are all 5foot 8 and above...At times,I say it is what it is and move on.Other times,I get angry, depressed and really frustrated..But hey, who said life is fair?
Taking it easy

Purushrottam

« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2019, 04:37:37 AM »

I am having a tough time with relationships and casual dating with my current height at 5 foot 6(Puru's previous height)..My friends who are dating gorgeous women are all 5foot 8 and above...At times,I say it is what it is and move on.Other times,I get angry, depressed and really frustrated..But hey, who said life is fair?

Thats exactly how I felt. The worst part is, very few people will know what you are talking about and just give you dumb plattitudes. I wasn't having trouble dating before, but it was chicks that I was not really attracted to.

Purushrottam

« Reply #298 on: March 02, 2019, 05:30:21 AM »

Update:

I am 'financially recovered' from the surgery. I have the same amount of money now that I had before LL. Loans still pending though.

I finally got the money for rod removal. I'm scheduling it with Rozbruch this month. Looking forward to the next chapter in life.

InFullStryde

« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2019, 05:37:14 AM »

Update:

I am 'financially recovered' from the surgery. I have the same amount of money now that I had before LL. Loans still pending though.

I finally got the money for rod removal. I'm scheduling it with Rozbruch this month. Looking forward to the next chapter in life.

Congratulations Purushrottam ! You're did it, man!  I have one question. Did Dr. R happen to mention how soon you are able to walk after rod removal?  I have always been curious about how much down time would be required after that surgery.   Any feedback is appreciated.  Congrats again!
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Purushrottam

« Reply #300 on: March 02, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »

Congratulations Purushrottam ! You're did it, man!  I have one question. Did Dr. R happen to mention how soon you are able to walk after rod removal?  I have always been curious about how much down time would be required after that surgery.   Any feedback is appreciated.  Congrats again!

Thanks! Yeah I can walk out of the hospital. I just have no not fall/lift heavy weights for 6 weeks. I'm going to be a bit wary though. ProgramDude had a bone breakage almost 2 months after rod removal.

I'll keep this diary updated after the rod removal.

InFullStryde

« Reply #301 on: March 02, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »

Thanks! Yeah I can walk out of the hospital. I just have no not fall/lift heavy weights for 6 weeks. I'm going to be a bit wary though. ProgramDude had a bone breakage almost 2 months after rod removal.

I'll keep this diary updated after the rod removal.

Great to hear about walking out of hospital.  Good call on keeping a close eye on things and playing it safe.  Looking forward to learning more. 
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Mule

« Reply #302 on: March 03, 2019, 12:31:46 AM »

Hi Puru,

Thanks for your great diary.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else but is there any reason you’re going to Rozbruch over Paley for rod removal?

Purushrottam

« Reply #303 on: March 03, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »

Great to hear about walking out of hospital.  Good call on keeping a close eye on things and playing it safe.  Looking forward to learning more.

Yup I'll keep you updated!

Hi Puru,

Thanks for your great diary.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else but is there any reason you’re going to Rozbruch over Paley for rod removal?

Its a lot more convenient for me. I'm temporarily assigned to a project right next to his hospital. My hotel is literally 15 minutes from that center. Its a routine outpatient operation where I can literally walk out the hospital when I'm done. I thought this was a good opportunity to get my rods removed with minimal disruption to my regular life.

When looking at life altering surgery, cost should never be a factor. However, Rozbruch is cheaper at $10,000 instead of $17,500, and insurance will likely cover a portion of it (what portion I will find out after the surgery is done).

I already 'recovered' financially and have the money to do it with either doctor. If Rozbruch doesn't have an open surgery slot this month I'll go ahead and book with Paley.

smolbean

• Visitor
« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »

Hi there! I have a question about your recovery. Before surgery, did you do any sports or training? If so, have you been able to do those things since you go surgery? Also, at what point after the initial surgery were you able to start working again? I'm sorry if you've already answered this before.

Purushrottam

« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2019, 02:35:44 AM »

Hi there! I have a question about your recovery. Before surgery, did you do any sports or training? If so, have you been able to do those things since you go surgery? Also, at what point after the initial surgery were you able to start working again? I'm sorry if you've already answered this before.

Yeah I used to work out intensely (1-2 hours per day). I used to be pretty active in sports as well (boxing). My workout routine is now back to what it was before. I play soccer and basketball regularly now. I'm going to start boxing once my nails are removed (and my bones are healed).

I had my surgery on Sept 26. I stopped lengthening on Dec 1. I started job hunting on Dec 10. I was able to do on site interviews around early February.

Purushrottam

« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2019, 02:37:31 AM »

Update:

I have scheduled myself for nail removal with Rozbruch on March 22nd. I'm going to work out and stretch as hard as possible until then (because I probably won't be able to hit the gym for a while after that).

wangchaoan

« Reply #307 on: March 10, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »

Puru, Wow, the big date finally comes!
Waiting for your update after nails removal.
Best wishes!!!

Purushrottam

« Reply #308 on: March 10, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »

Puru, Wow, the big date finally comes!
Waiting for your update after nails removal.
Best wishes!!!

Thanks for the wishes! Yeah I'll keep updating.

FutureManuteBol

« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2019, 01:15:09 AM »

Way to go Purush. It really takes a brave person to go through this procedure and endure its many challenges. I am currently 5'4-5'5. I don't want to lengthen too much. I'm looking for 2 inches on my femur through Dr.Paley (I've heard he is the one with the best outcomes). 2 inches may not seem worth all this, but I'm honestly fine with it if there is an easier path of recovery and a higher realization of pre-LL Athleticism. Even if there is a noticeable downtick in athleticism, I'm ok with it because, at my current height, i'm having trouble going out in public, let alone participate in sports.

That would put me at roughly 5'6-5'7, which I know is your starting height, but honestly, I never minded being short, I just didn't like being especially short, and I feel this surgery would do wonders to get me out of that really short range and improve my self-image. I have 2 questions.

1. Do you think gaining a complete 2 inches at my height is worth it?

2. Do you think you would have recovered better had you opted for 5.1 cm as opposed to 6.5 cm?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up