Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How much height could a man possibly stunt with the worst diet and lifestyle?  (Read 19884 times)

Knik

I would like to know what do you mean by "stress". I guess it's depression, but how to know if you have been depressive.
From what I know I have always been happy, but in the same time many people considered me as "unhappy" because not much talkative, excessively shy and low self-confidence but I don't consider it as stress
Looking for Pili

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/calcium-help-you-grow-taller/#gref
what are your opinion about that ? according to that people that drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of meat will be taller while studies proved that vegetarian kids are not shorter than others.

I don't have any professional opinion. Hell I haven't even come up with a clear answer to my question in this thread.

I did basically everything that might harm growth, but sleep deprivation is what I am worried about the most.

If I could go back the time, I'd definitely drink good high-calcium milk properly because I never know how much it affects height, it's better to play safe.

I would like to know what do you mean by "stress". I guess it's depression, but how to know if you have been depressive.
From what I know I have always been happy, but in the same time many people considered me as "unhappy" because not much talkative, excessively shy and low self-confidence but I don't consider it as stress

I know because I was under pressure for years.

I'm bound to struggle for the rest of my life. But again, many people just happen to have their biggest regret in life, don't they?

myloginacct

Maybe in 20 years you'll be able to get taller without distraction osteogenesis.

So you can focus on your career for now.

Maybe in 20 years you'll be able to get taller without distraction osteogenesis.

So you can focus on your career for now.

Maybe, but even then, I'll be washed up by that time.

IwannaBeTaller

I'm bound to struggle for the rest of my life. But again, many people just happen to have their biggest regret in life, don't they?

No, you're not. At some point, your neuroses could become a lot less obstructive to your life. Trust me, I've experienced it. About 4 years ago, I wanted to kill myself because of my height and the thought of having "stunted" it. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I woke up and I was depressed for hours and hours and hours, unceasingly. Today, I still think about height but it's a lot less obtrusive. I still have bad times but it's a night and day difference, I'm doing pretty fine a lot of times.

Just imagine where you could be in 4 years. Continue going out there, following your goals. You can still do LL at any time in the future.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

myloginacct

We still don't get to pick the cards we wanna play life with. We were born just short of seeing it happening. Even then, we will never be able to pick our parents.

Life also always kicks you further after you're down. There's no magical sky being who keeps watch and says "okay, that's enough - this person has had enough cruelty/happiness going on for them; let's limit it."

The only choice is to move on.

Re: How much height could a man possibly stunt with the worst diet and lifestyle?
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2018, 02:36:09 PM »

No, you're not. At some point, your neuroses could become a lot less obstructive to your life. Trust me, I've experienced it. About 4 years ago, I wanted to kill myself because of my height and the thought of having "stunted" it. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I woke up and I was depressed for hours and hours and hours, unceasingly. Today, I still think about height but it's a lot less obtrusive. I still have bad times but it's a night and day difference, I'm doing pretty fine a lot of times.

Just imagine where you could be in 4 years. Continue going out there, following your goals. You can still do LL at any time in the future.

I highly doubt it, I've been depressed over my height for 10 years and it has getting stronger ever since. At first, I was still hoping that I was gonna hit my growth spurt that never happened in the end. Now there's no more hope.

I mean, I'll still do everything that I am supposed to do. But the scar will be never fully healed and I know that I will have to struggle and my height will beat the   out of me.

Perhaps by competing in MMA openweight and beat the guy 8" taller will spare myself pain because at least the pain caused my height would be the price that I'd pay for the motivation.

We still don't get to pick the cards we wanna play life with. We were born just short of seeing it happening. Even then, we will never be able to pick our parents.

Life also always kicks you further after you're down. There's no magical sky being who keeps watch and says "okay, that's enough - this person has had enough cruelty/happiness going on for them; let's limit it."

The only choice is to move on.

I couldn't pick my parents. But if I knew how important height was gonna be, if I knew that my unnecessary depression and sleep deprivation caused by school was affecting my height, I could have made a decision of quitting school or at least homeschooling and  avoided the whole disaster. But I didn't.

Knik

Re: How much height could a man possibly stunt with the worst diet and lifestyle?
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »

remember your depression won't help you. Go ahead, do LL (if you feel you need it) and be happy (about that point)
Looking for Pili

myloginacct

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2018, 01:54:25 AM »

How are you doing now, 4 years later?

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2018, 03:11:47 AM »

If he lives in a pretty developed country, but severely depressed, extremely sleep deprived (0-2hours a night) and eat tons of carbs without vitamins and proteins since 5th grade?

Based on my observation extreme situations like this can stunt the growth badly, even by 10-11 inches.

myloginacct

« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »

By the way, more anecdotal evidence for the thread:

Chester Bennington was molested as a kid and bullied in school. Still grew to his father's height (5'10). Extremely frail looks, though.

Jonathan Davis, another singer who was allegedly molested and also bullied. Grew to 6'2. Probably taller than his father.

These singers could just have made stuff up about their lives, but maybe it's that only nutrition can really significantly affect final height.

Knik

Quick update. I was reading about Slavic people and found interesting things.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont%C3%A9n%C3%A9grins#Caract%C3%A9ristique_physique
According to a 1960 study height average in the world were : 178 for Montenegro, 175 for Scandinavia, 173 for England, 170 for France, 168 for Germany, 166 for Spain) All datas are on the Wikipedia page.
And yes, there is something very surprising. German average was very low, according to actual studies german average is about 180 cm, then they won 12 cm in 50 years ? Very surprising. Especially when we know that French average is about 174,5/175. They won only 5 cm. English average is about 175 too, only 2-3cm.

And now, look at studies in 1996 :
http://sciencepost.fr/2016/07/pays-monde-sommes-plus-grands/
According to these maps, tallest women are in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Netherlands, Estonia, Latvia and Serbia. Another thing very surprising, female average from Montenegro is not especially tall when we see that the male average is quite tall (estimated at 183 cm but it seems quite tall, much taller than other balkan countries). I visited Czech Republic. In Slovakia it's the contrary according to the map, women are very tall while men are a bit over european average. Female macedonian average is low in comparison with others balkanic countries. Latvian women are much taller than estonian and lituanian women and also latvian men, very surprising too.

You can also notice that there is a very big difference between european countries and all others countries.

Looking for Pili

myloginacct

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont%C3%A9n%C3%A9grins#Caract%C3%A9ristique_physique
According to a 1960 study height average in the world were : 178 for Montenegro, 175 for Scandinavia, 173 for England, 170 for France, 168 for Germany, 166 for Spain) All datas are on the Wikipedia page.
And yes, there is something very surprising. German average was very low, according to actual studies german average is about 180 cm, then they won 12 cm in 50 years ? Very surprising. Especially when we know that French average is about 174,5/175. They won only 5 cm. English average is about 175 too, only 2-3cm.

According to these maps, tallest women are in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Netherlands, Estonia, Latvia and Serbia. Another thing very surprising, female average from Montenegro is not especially tall when we see that the male average is quite tall (estimated at 183 cm but it seems quite tall, much taller than other balkan countries). I visited Czech Republic. In Slovakia it's the contrary according to the map, women are very tall while men are a bit over european average. Female macedonian average is low in comparison with others balkanic countries. Latvian women are much taller than estonian and lituanian women and also latvian men, very surprising too.

You can also notice that there is a very big difference between european countries and all others countries.

That seems way too low for Germany. There's no way that can be right...

CaptainAmerica

Was health in Europe really so bad during the early-mid 1900s that people could stunt their growth that much?

Or is sxxual selection on height really that aggressive?

Which hypothesis is it, A or B? It really bothers me that we do not have an answer for this.

I can't imagine the people living then were significantly less healthy than people now, they ate less junk food and were far more fit on average.

Do these averages include females? Lol? Or maybe Germany really suffered so much famine due to the wars that they seriously stunted their population that much? And with an average nearly what, 10cm+ higher today, can it be said that nutrition can impact height by 10 whole cm?

I've looked at hundreds of photos of twins separated at birth, some born in China, some born in America... Never have I seen such height difference, maximum ½ inch if that even.

ivan

I've been watching this forum for a while and decided to register to share a few personal anecdotal observations. By the way, English is not my fist language so please excuse me for not being word-perfect.

I've been skinny most of my childhood. Despite eating ok in elementary school I was just slightly taller than few kids which were really short which meant that 85% of my class were either slightly taller or quite taller than me. Neither of them had a better diet. Some of them were as tall if not even taller than their their parents by 8th grade. All of them ate crappy food while I was eating decently. My diet was consisting of milk and other diary products, beans, potatoes, meat, some fruits and vegetables. I ate almost no refined sugary crap, besides white rice but I combined it with a lot of cheese to make it more palatable. By, the way, did I mentioned that I consumed a lot of diary products? I was eating cheese with every meal and drank milk instead of water most of the time. By 8th grade my height was no more than 170 cm at most and quite likely a little lower than that.

Let me give you another example. My mother's friend kids - a boy and a girl. Our families used to had many trips together and they looked malnourished. They just ate things like biscuits, candy, some bread and pasta. They were pretty poor and the mother neglected them most of the time. When we decided to go to a restaurant one time, the boy had just a small plate with french fries and he puked them shortly after he ate. He just couldn't handle the food! After that his mother was so embarrassed we never went on a trip until 7 years later. They were 14-15 that time, still quite skinny but man, they were quite taller than last time. The girl was shorter than me but not more than 7-8 cm. The boy was like 5 cm taller and I was 18 years old back then. There was a little improvement in nutrition by that time but they still had pretty crappy diet and it was quite obvious that they weren't eating enough. I haven't seen the girl but the boys which is in university now is probably around 188-190 cm when I saw him recently. Still skinny as a rake. I don't try to claim that nutrition is not important in regards to height but it can only help in reaching the predetermined height by birth. By the way - his father is also tall, the mother is taller than average for female in my country. It's not a big surprise they are tall as well.

Another personal anecdote is from my family. My two female cousins were raised in quite turbulent environment. They had the same crappy diet - bread, cheap canned food, a lot of sugary crap. They were both neglected in their early years. During a particular period of time their parents left them and went to a different country to work so my grandfather was forced to take care of them while they were working abroad. Even my mother and father bought them food to get by. The bigger one was even hit by a car and spend some time in a hospital. I learned years later that they were abused by their mother and they saw their mother abusing their father as well. Truly terrible conditions. When they were 12-13 and 7-8 years old respectively their parents took them in Italy where they managed to rent a small apartment. They were still struggling there. When they decided to visit us few years later the older one was a head taller than I last remembered her. Initially, I even thought she was my height. When I asked her how tall she was she told me 174 cm. This is almost 10 cm above the average in Bulgaria. Her sister was just 160 cm which is 4-5 below average. Their parents are: father 174 cm; mother 160 cm. As you can see the bigger sister was 14 cm taller than her mother and the same height as her father and the little one the same height as her mother.
Again, despite awful upbringing, one of them turned out taller than expected and the other one pretty much as expected.

Now two different examples:

A client of mine who is ~179 cm with father 185-186 cm. His mother is not short - 164 cm. Perfectly normal height but his predicted one is at least 181. He was raised in wealthy family, well fed, played sports, got good education. Contrary, his tall father was raised in poverty, smoked from young age and yet, reached quite decent height.

My brother's friend is around 170 cm, his father is pretty much the same height if not a little taller, mother, a little on the sorter side but close to average. The same guy was eating like a king every day. Never stressed, quite happy and funny guy. Yet, never surpassed his father despite raised in excellent conditions. He is quite successful despite his relatively short stature. He wasn't interested in chasing girls anyway and invested his time in studying and enjoying life. He now works as a manager for a pretty big company.

What all this goes to show? Most likely not much since these are just personal observations. However my explanation is simple. Stressing on such things is not worth the time. You can't tell how things will turn out if you did things differently. Most likely everything will be pretty much the same or an inch at most but no one can tell for sure. Some people will grow tall no matter what and others will be short or average despite living under perfect conditions.

CaptainAmerica

I've been watching this forum for a while and decided to register to share a few personal anecdotal observations. By the way, English is not my fist language so please excuse me for not being word-perfect.

I've been skinny most of my childhood. Despite eating ok in elementary school I was just slightly taller than few kids which were really short which meant that 85% of my class were either slightly taller or quite taller than me. Neither of them had a better diet. Some of them were as tall if not even taller than their their parents by 8th grade. All of them ate crappy food while I was eating decently. My diet was consisting of milk and other diary products, beans, potatoes, meat, some fruits and vegetables. I ate almost no refined sugary crap, besides white rice but I combined it with a lot of cheese to make it more palatable. By, the way, did I mentioned that I consumed a lot of diary products? I was eating cheese with every meal and drank milk instead of water most of the time. By 8th grade my height was no more than 170 cm at most and quite likely a little lower than that.

Let me give you another example. My mother's friend kids - a boy and a girl. Our families used to had many trips together and they looked malnourished. They just ate things like biscuits, candy, some bread and pasta. They were pretty poor and the mother neglected them most of the time. When we decided to go to a restaurant one time, the boy had just a small plate with french fries and he puked them shortly after he ate. He just couldn't handle the food! After that his mother was so embarrassed we never went on a trip until 7 years later. They were 14-15 that time, still quite skinny but man, they were quite taller than last time. The girl was shorter than me but not more than 7-8 cm. The boy was like 5 cm taller and I was 18 years old back then. There was a little improvement in nutrition by that time but they still had pretty crappy diet and it was quite obvious that they weren't eating enough. I haven't seen the girl but the boys which is in university now is probably around 188-190 cm when I saw him recently. Still skinny as a rake. I don't try to claim that nutrition is not important in regards to height but it can only help in reaching the predetermined height by birth. By the way - his father is also tall, the mother is taller than average for female in my country. It's not a big surprise they are tall as well.

Another personal anecdote is from my family. My two female cousins were raised in quite turbulent environment. They had the same crappy diet - bread, cheap canned food, a lot of sugary crap. They were both neglected in their early years. During a particular period of time their parents left them and went to a different country to work so my grandfather was forced to take care of them while they were working abroad. Even my mother and father bought them food to get by. The bigger one was even hit by a car and spend some time in a hospital. I learned years later that they were abused by their mother and they saw their mother abusing their father as well. Truly terrible conditions. When they were 12-13 and 7-8 years old respectively their parents took them in Italy where they managed to rent a small apartment. They were still struggling there. When they decided to visit us few years later the older one was a head taller than I last remembered her. Initially, I even thought she was my height. When I asked her how tall she was she told me 174 cm. This is almost 10 cm above the average in Bulgaria. Her sister was just 160 cm which is 4-5 below average. Their parents are: father 174 cm; mother 160 cm. As you can see the bigger sister was 14 cm taller than her mother and the same height as her father and the little one the same height as her mother.
Again, despite awful upbringing, one of them turned out taller than expected and the other one pretty much as expected.

A client of mine who is ~179 cm with father 185-186 cm. His mother is not short - 164 cm. Perfectly normal height but his predicted one is at least 181. He was raised in wealthy family, well fed, played sports, got good education. Contrary, his tall father was raised in poverty, smoked from young age and yet, reached quite decent height.

My brother's friend is around 170 cm, his father is pretty much the same height if not a little taller, mother, a little on the sorter side but close to average. The same guy was eating like a king every day. Never stressed, quite happy and funny guy. Yet, never surpassed his father despite raised in excellent conditions. He is quite successful despite his relatively short stature. He wasn't interested in chasing girls anyway and invested his time in studying and enjoying life. He now works as a manager for a pretty big company.

What all this goes to show? Most likely not much since these are just personal observations. However my explanation is simple. Stressing on such things is not worth the time. You can't tell how things will turn out if you did things differently. Most likely everything will be pretty much the same or an inch at most but no one can tell for sure. Some people will grow tall no matter what and others will be short or average despite living under perfect conditions.

Okay, now explain how mainland Europe gained on average 3 inches of height in a century, if not for nutrition.

ivan

Why are you asking me this question? I'm just sharing personal observations, I'm not disproving any data shown.

If you just asking for my thoughts on this matter - it's not that hard to tell. Nutrition is very important indeed. There are also other important factors you are missing such as improvements in medicine, lower infant mortality as well as improvements in sanitary infrastructure.

Knik

That seems way too low for Germany. There's no way that can be right...

except Germany it seems quite legit for the others countries in the list
and Montenegrins always have been the tallest, in 60's they were living under a communist state too (Yugoslavia)
Looking for Pili

IwannaBeTaller

Okay, now explain how mainland Europe gained on average 3 inches of height in a century, if not for nutrition.

Epigenetics.

BTW, does anyone else sometimes wish they'd live in the 1960s or something like that, simply because they'd have been taller in comparison to the average height of that time?
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Knik

Epigenetics.

BTW, does anyone else sometimes wish they'd live in the 1960s or something like that, simply because they'd have been taller in comparison to the average height of that time?

actual average is ok for me, the only thing that could make me insecure are tall girls
Looking for Pili

Knik

https://elifesciences.org/articles/13410
But I don't think that alimentation was a problem for anybody here (from Europe)

People from different countries grow to different heights. This may be partly due to genetics, but most differences in height between countries have other causes. For example, children and adolescents who are malnourished, or who suffer from serious diseases, will generally be shorter as adults. This is important because taller people generally live longer, are less likely to suffer from heart disease and stroke, and taller women and their children are less likely to have complications during and after birth. Taller people may also earn more and be more successful at school. However, they are also more likely to develop some cancers.

Looking for Pili

myloginacct

But I don't think that alimentation was a problem for anybody here (from Europe)

So much bs in that quote. "Most difference in height between countries have other causes." Lol

Knik

So much bs in that quote. "Most difference in height between countries have other causes." Lol

Height is subject to many theories. Recently I've talked to transgender, some told me that they loose 1-2 inches with oestrogens therapy. It's curious, because oestrogens can't change your bones but can affect your muscle and ligaments plus pelvic tilt. But 2 inches is enormous
Looking for Pili

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)

I'll take the amazing access to people and information that the Internet provides, over anything in the '60s :)
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

myloginacct

Seriously. Still so much bs in that quote. And that's the kind of shxt that gets promoted as gospel in places like the US and Sweden. No wonder the influx of 5'10~5'11 losers wanting to be 6 feet+ here.

This may be partly due to genetics, but most differences in height between countries have other causes. For example, children and adolescents who are malnourished, or who suffer from serious diseases, will generally be shorter as adults.

It's mostly genetics, and it's still a lottery. How the fxck else do these people explain brothers with a 10cm difference among themselves?

This is important because taller people generally live longer

Patently false bs. The shorter you are, the more likely you are to live longer. The longest living peoples in the world are short, not the tall Scandinavians, despite their super high living standards.

Taller people may also earn more and be more successful at school.

Most Nobel prize winners weren't tall for their own ethnic groups. Einstein was 5'7, ffs. Citations, please?

However, they are also more likely to develop some cancers.

The one thing they got right in that entire quote.

Hard to believe a site called elifesciences with a .org domain could help propagate so much misinformation. The study itself is nice but that e-life digest is ridiculous.

Yes, I am mad.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:08:29 AM by myloginacct »

myloginacct

Thank you for sharing your stories. They were interesting to read.

I've read half of the study posted, and it has a lot of interesting data. I think I'll finish reading it later and then make posts on it.

heightPursuer

• Visitor

Dad's height: 180cm
Mom's height: 160cm
Sister's height: 164cm
My final height: 165,5cm
Grandfather from father side: 176cm
Grandfather from mother side: around 163cm

Height at 9 years 3 months: 129cm / 35kg
Height at 11 years 4 months: 138cm / 44kg
Height at 14 years: 152cm /64kg
Height at 18 years: 165cm / 87kg

Very unhealthy food, bad sleeper, stress, and high obesity
TL;DR; 3cm more would mind a lot in this case :)
Starting height: 165,5cm
Sitting height: 83,4cm
Wingspan: 167,5cm

aiming for precise 2 on femur on Autum 2018

CaptainAmerica

Actually, you probably didn't stunt your height at all. Looks like you just inherited your mother and her father's height genetics.

Bigpoppapump

Poor sleep is definitely a factor in stunted height. Deep sleep is when HGH peaks.

Insulin can blunt HGH as well so when you get up in the morning if you eat high sugar or carb breakfasts that can reduce your HGH as well as you start the day.

ivan

Poor sleep is definitely a factor in stunted height. Deep sleep is when HGH peaks.

It is highly unlikely. Human Growth Hormone is released during the slow-wave sleep, which is concentrated in the early hours of the sleep. The last part of the night is important for REM sleep, which affects mood, learning and creativity. So getting less sleep than your body craves is more likely to stunt your mental growth than your physical growth.

Insulin can blunt HGH as well so when you get up in the morning if you eat high sugar or carb breakfasts that can reduce your HGH as well as you start the day.

While it's true that insulin and growth hormone indeed play antagonist roles against one another starting the day with carbs is perfectly fine since you have a good boost of energy to start the day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up