Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first ever "lipograft" procedure dodne with success in Israel  (Read 2196 times)

TIBIKE200

first ever "lipograft" procedure dodne with success in Israel
« on: December 20, 2017, 08:34:19 AM »

It is an innovative technique invented by Israeli scientists. This is the first case in the world of using said technique in order to treat a post traumatic non union.
  This could have implication for future LL patients in the coming years by helping avoiding a risky bone graft and instead they will do a simple "lipograft".

Here is a link to the Israeli news paper report about the case.
  It's in hebrew. Enjoy (exept Prakash since its done in a backwarded country according to him)

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-5059447,00.html

I learned some stuff during this time

myloginacct

Re: first ever "lipograft" procedure dodne with success in Israel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »

Thank you for sharing the story. I wish I could find versions of it in English, although I'm sure it's only a matter of time until it is translated.

Knik

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »

interesting
Looking for Pili

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »

What's that technique and how does it work?
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 04:42:11 PM »

Danny, a resident of one of the kibbutzim in the north, broke his leg in a car accident and the doctors had to remove a piece of his Tibia bone. He did not imagine that he would be the first in the world to undergo an innovative surgery, done for the first time in Israel. Complete itself.

In an analysis conducted Tuesday at the Emek Hospital in Afula, the doctors took fat tissue from the patient's body, raised it in the laboratory and injected the cells back into the body to complete the bones in the missing places. The new technology was developed a few years ago by BioGroup, which separates the cells from cells that can build tissues and blood vessels, grow them in BioRector, a special device that simulates the environment of the body and provides optimal conditions for bone growth.

After about two weeks, tissue is created that is ready for transplantation in the patient. The tissue is transferred from the Haifa laboratory to the hospital, the patient is injected with the live implant, and within a few months the bone grows in the missing place.

"We created thousands of small particles of bone, each alive, and that allows us to inject them into the missing area, where they connect to a living bone and function," explains Dr. Shai Mertzky, CEO of BioGroup Bonus and who developed the technology. "The patient was missing five centimeters of bone in the leg, and the doctor injected the thousands of particles that we had grown outside the body into the missing place, and within a few days the area begins to refill - and after about two months the patient can walk."

The person who performed the operation yesterday is Prof. Nimrod Rosen, director of orthopedics at Ha'emek Hospital. "Our patient came with a deficiency in the Tibia bone, which the body can not complete alone," explains Prof. Rosen.

"Yesterday I surgically implanted the cells we drew from two weeks ago, and within six weeks the bone will complete itself and the Tibia will return to being the same as before," he says.

The surgery is suitable for the elderly with osteoporosis and also for cancer patients undergoing bone marrow removal, and Prof. Rosen believes that in the future this operation will be possible even for short stature patients, to transplant their bones and raise them by tens of centimeters. "In every operation I can add 10 centimeters, Sometimes it can change the self-image of a lot of people. "

Danny was the first person in the world to undergo the innovative procedure. "Eight months ago I had a car accident and broke my leg," he says. "At one point they had to take out a piece of bone, and the body could not complete it myself, I trusted the doctors, and I am sure they did a good job and hope that I will be able to stand on my foot in a few weeks."

TIBIKE200

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 04:42:30 PM »

Just google translate the report... That's what I did

onemorefoot

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:09:49 PM »

In the case that this technique can be used for dwarf people in the future, is there any way to make the spine grow or is just my ignorance coming out?
Budget will determine my future.

myloginacct

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:58:46 PM »

Danny, a resident of one of the kibbutzim in the north, broke his leg in a car accident and the doctors had to remove a piece of his Tibia bone. He did not imagine that he would be the first in the world to undergo an innovative surgery, done for the first time in Israel. Complete itself.

In an analysis conducted Tuesday at the Emek Hospital in Afula, the doctors took fat tissue from the patient's body, raised it in the laboratory and injected the cells back into the body to complete the bones in the missing places. The new technology was developed a few years ago by BioGroup, which separates the cells from cells that can build tissues and blood vessels, grow them in BioRector, a special device that simulates the environment of the body and provides optimal conditions for bone growth.

After about two weeks, tissue is created that is ready for transplantation in the patient. The tissue is transferred from the Haifa laboratory to the hospital, the patient is injected with the live implant, and within a few months the bone grows in the missing place.

"We created thousands of small particles of bone, each alive, and that allows us to inject them into the missing area, where they connect to a living bone and function," explains Dr. Shai Mertzky, CEO of BioGroup Bonus and who developed the technology. "The patient was missing five centimeters of bone in the leg, and the doctor injected the thousands of particles that we had grown outside the body into the missing place, and within a few days the area begins to refill - and after about two months the patient can walk."

The person who performed the operation yesterday is Prof. Nimrod Rosen, director of orthopedics at Ha'emek Hospital. "Our patient came with a deficiency in the Tibia bone, which the body can not complete alone," explains Prof. Rosen.

"Yesterday I surgically implanted the cells we drew from two weeks ago, and within six weeks the bone will complete itself and the Tibia will return to being the same as before," he says.

The surgery is suitable for the elderly with osteoporosis and also for cancer patients undergoing bone marrow removal, and Prof. Rosen believes that in the future this operation will be possible even for short stature patients, to transplant their bones and raise them by tens of centimeters. "In every operation I can add 10 centimeters, Sometimes it can change the self-image of a lot of people. "

Danny was the first person in the world to undergo the innovative procedure. "Eight months ago I had a car accident and broke my leg," he says. "At one point they had to take out a piece of bone, and the body could not complete it myself, I trusted the doctors, and I am sure they did a good job and hope that I will be able to stand on my foot in a few weeks."

That's a really good machine translation.

I hope there will be some public medical follow-up of this patient, just so we can know how successful this procedure was for him.

The surgical approach (not the method) also seems similar to some research I've seen promoted as a possible new way for height increase (in the future) conceived by a team of this Russian fellow called Alexander Teplyashin. However, that fellow makes some extraordinary claims and seems to be a controversial figure in Russia itself, which makes me warier - though his theory seems to be at least sound on paper (if it worked as described by them). I don't know if this technology can realistically be used for CLL in the future, but the team behind it just seems more respectable.

Harald Oberlaender

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:52:28 PM »

Dear onemorefoot,

spinal height increase therapy may become a result of the ongoing spinal disc regeneration research, e.g. by using stem cell therapy or gene therapy. You will find a good scientific article about the ongoing research efforts at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4877563/
CONCLUSION
Thanks to the recent research efforts aimed at further developing our knowledge of the biology and biochemistry of the intervertebral disc (IVD), our understanding of the process of Intervertebral disc degeneration (IDD) is rapidly growing. While there is still much to learn, some key factors involved in disc breakdown have become evident. Identification of the importance of cell loss within the disc has led to a focus on novel treatments aimed at regenerating the degenerating tissue. With its unique ability to differentiate into different cell types and to secrete a wide range of trophic cytokines, adult stem cell therapy has received considerable interest showing much promise with regard to treating chronic conditions such as IDD. Multiple studies have determined the feasibility of adult stem cell therapy for IDD, and recent studies have demonstrated proof of efficacy of autologous bone marrow MSCs transplantation in reproducible animal models as well as to be safe in human clinical trials. Other stem cells populations are still under evaluation with few proofs of efficacy in animals. Nonetheless, adult stem cell therapy has shown promise in becoming a powerful tool in the future treatment of IDD.

Best regards
Harald

myloginacct

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 09:33:07 PM »

Dear onemorefoot,

spinal height increase therapy may become a result of the ongoing spinal disc regeneration research, e.g. by using stem cell therapy or gene therapy. You will find a good scientific article about the ongoing research efforts at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4877563/
CONCLUSION
Thanks to the recent research efforts aimed at further developing our knowledge of the biology and biochemistry of the intervertebral disc (IVD), our understanding of the process of Intervertebral disc degeneration (IDD) is rapidly growing. While there is still much to learn, some key factors involved in disc breakdown have become evident. Identification of the importance of cell loss within the disc has led to a focus on novel treatments aimed at regenerating the degenerating tissue. With its unique ability to differentiate into different cell types and to secrete a wide range of trophic cytokines, adult stem cell therapy has received considerable interest showing much promise with regard to treating chronic conditions such as IDD. Multiple studies have determined the feasibility of adult stem cell therapy for IDD, and recent studies have demonstrated proof of efficacy of autologous bone marrow MSCs transplantation in reproducible animal models as well as to be safe in human clinical trials. Other stem cells populations are still under evaluation with few proofs of efficacy in animals. Nonetheless, adult stem cell therapy has shown promise in becoming a powerful tool in the future treatment of IDD.

Best regards
Harald

That's just for spine regeneration, though.

Increasing your height through your spine is far more distant in the future than any new methods for CLL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up