Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need advice.  (Read 905 times)

MirinHeight

need advice.
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:32:23 AM »

Hello.
I am 178.5-179 cm and my wingspan is 6'1

I am a premed student and will be taking the MCAT (admission exam) this upcoming feb/march and will be volunteering/working in hospital all of 2018 to make $. Have 7k saved right now
Applications open in June 2018 for medical school
and Interviews happen up till ~feb 2019. Most medical school start dates are in august.

So hopefully will be in US medical school in Aug 2019

So I have between Feb 2019 till end of July/start of Aug 2019 for my LL journey

That is 6 months.
I want to do only 3 cm via external fixator. Do you guys think I will have the external fixators off in 6 months if I did 3 cm. I would not want to go to medical school with them on.

If not, I am going to try to work 2 jobs in 2018 and save up enough money to do internal lengthening via Dr. Paley. I currently have no expenses. So all the money that I make via my jobs will go into my savings account. If I go the internal route, I will lengthen 4-4.5 cm

Thank you for your time.
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MirinHeight

Re: need advice.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:32 AM »

A big reason why I want to do external fixators is because internals are more invasive
and my tibias are slightly bowed and I would want them to get straightened with lengthening at same time. This is possible with Dr. Pilli hybrid external fixator

myloginacct

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:59:00 AM »

It's hard to tell these things because they change depending on/according to the situation, and you shouldn't consider my answer very seriously because I haven't done LL, as I can be getting details wrong. I'm sure some LL vets will help.

But just from the math (taking the typical distraction rate of .75mm a day with external tibias), shouldn't it take the pre-surgery + surgery time, plus around 40 days of lengthening (for 3cm), and then however long it takes for the full frame removal + consolidation phase (which I'm not sure of)? Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zeo

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 01:07:15 AM »

You won't be able to afford Dr. Paley in 1 year even if you spend every possible moment working.

To save 100,000$ in 1 year you need to save 1,900$ a week (AFTER taxes), so you need to find a job that will pay you 45$/hr (31$ after taxes) and give you 60 hours a week to work for 1 year straight no stopping.

Your not going to find a job like that as premed. Internals in general are not feasible unless you already have a good paying job.

Plan to do external fixators.
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

MirinHeight

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:15:45 AM »

You won't be able to afford Dr. Paley in 1 year even if you spend every possible moment working.

To save 100,000$ in 1 year you need to save 1,900$ a week (AFTER taxes), so you need to find a job that will pay you 45$/hr (31$ after taxes) and give you 60 hours a week to work for 1 year straight no stopping.

Your not going to find a job like that as premed. Internals in general are not feasible unless you already have a good paying job.

Plan to do external fixators.

thnx man. Just in a time crunch when i was trying to plan everything

Pages: [1]   Go Up