Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 8cm on femurs - Dr. Mahboubian  (Read 22901 times)

fallen774

8cm on femurs - Dr. Mahboubian
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:31:04 PM »

Hey there,

My surgery is scheduled for April 5th, so I'll update this thread with how it goes. I'm currently 5'6 aiming at 5'9. I research and desire to go under this procedure for more than a decade now. I've told my closest friends and family. It was really hard convincing my folks to accept it. They won't be paying for a thing, I'll pay everything out of my own pocket, but still, they are very conservative people. Besides that, my dad is a radiologist, so bones are kind of his thing and he dedicated almost an entire day on Skype lecturing me about the possible complications.

A little bit about me: I'm a 25yo male engineer in Sillicon Valley. I'm originally from Brazil and moved here about an year ago. I was born with an external rotation on my hips, which basically means that I walk wiggling my butt. It also hurts when I hike or sprint, as I seem to put too much pressure on my shins. Anyhow, I spent an entire life pittying myself for being both short and with funny legs, but the latter turned up being a money saver. I went on my surgeon (Dr. Mahboubian, in North Hollywood) first visit back 3 months ago, and he told me he's able to fix my bone rotation in the same procedure. In other terms, since the surgery now qualifies for an anatomic correction, my health insurance will pay for the hospital fees (which is roughly half the price of the whole thing). Yay.

Now, about why I'm doing this: not for the women, let me make this clear. Most of the posts on this forum are about height insecurities in the sxxual context, which is a pretty plausible reason, but mine isn't that. First, I play for the other team. Second, I feel my height affects my professional context much more. I've felt my entire life that I was not taken very seriously by friends or co-workers, in the sense that I'm often target of jokes, keep being called "half-a-person" and things like that. Just like a transsxxual person looks in the mirror and can't identify with the body they live in, I look in the mirror and never felt happy about the height of my own body. Just the height, nothing more. Maybe that's a thing that psychoanalysts will eventually talk about.

I'm very excited about the upcoming months. I'll take 1 month leave from work. I'll try to use half vacation time and half sick time off. It will also be a correction surgery after all, which is going to improve my overall health and well-being. My co-workers only know about the correction part. They know I feel pain in my legs and my outdoor activity is very limited. They don't know about the other side of the coin and I prefer to maintain like that. There's too much taboo around this procedure and I don't want funny looks. Also, I've been using lifting shoes for the past year, which give me around 6cm. I'll stop using them after the surgery so it becomes almost unnoticeable.

Finally, I decided to not stop my life during the recovery months. I don't know if I'll manage, but I'll keep going to the office. In a wheelchair, of course. My mom will be here with me for 3 months, so she will help me with everyday things.

That's it for today. I'm really excited and will keep you all posted. Hopefully I can help some of you and you can help me back. Talk soon!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:29:32 AM by fallen774 »
before: 5'5.5
now: 5'8.2 (+2.7")
surgery date: April 5th, 2018
stopped lengthening: June 20th, 2018
Dr. Mahboubian, North Hollywood

Honore

Re: 8cm on femurs - Dr. Mahboubian
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »

Well, I wish you all the luck. Can I ask you about the risks your father told you about?

Android

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:13:39 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your story. Shame about your pre-existing problem, but that's great that it's now working in your favor.

LAGrowin will have his procedure in January with Dr. Mahboubian as well. You two are starting 2018 right!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

fallen774

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:19:33 AM »

Thanks for the replies! Most of my dad's concerns are groundless based on his lack of knowledge on this subject. This procedure is not well known in Brazil, even amongst the medical community, and what we end up hearing is that it's a very rudimental thing done in China where they cut your bones with a saw while you're awake. It takes no effort to Google and educate yourself, but guess what, nobody is doing it. So, when I say that I always talked about doing this since I was ~10 years old (always the shortest of the classroom), I mean that I was willing to go through this almost-torture thing people mentioned when talking about unconventional methods of growing up. Of course, as I grew older, I educated myself on the actual possibilities. I kept trying to educate my folks for a couple of years but my mom would cry and make drama when I came up with the subject, and my dad would tell me that only over his dead body. That's when I locked myself in my room and started to study 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for some years, so I could move away and make my own decisions. I was blessed with the opportunity to move to another country and did it, by myself. So I made my own money and called my folks to let them know I'd do the surgery, and that I'd understand if they decided to not speak to me again. I wrote a very long letter explaining all the psychological reasons I needed it, and I had my sister (who is a psychologist) helping me out into making them understand. Honestly, coming out as gay wasn't nearly as hard as convincing them that I needed this to be happy.
So, I managed to make them understand, and got to the stage where my mom said that although she did not accept it, she would respect my decision. They educated themselves on the matter with the numerous articles and videos I sent them, and now they're comfortable with the idea. My dad was worried about osteomyelitis, strength gain pos-surgery (he said I'd have chicken legs) and long-term complications (he wanted me to provide examples of people that went through this surgery and are fine decades later). I never did, as PRECISE 2 is not that old.
Android, I'm very glad to hear that someone else in this forum is doing it with the same doctor in 2018! Hopefully LAGrowin will create a journal. It'll definitely help me a lot. Honestly, I do expect some criticism from folks here since I'm not doing the conventional 3-months sabbatical period away from everything that most people seem to do, so I'd love to hear feedback about that. Taking a 3-months leave from my work is not an option for me, so I'll have to make it work somehow.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:58:56 AM by fallen774 »

myloginacct

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 01:36:55 AM »

Do you still get comments on being short when you're using the 6cm lifts? If so, damn, people suck.

I wish you the best of luck with your LL.

fallen774

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:48:12 AM »

Do you still get comments on being short when you're using the 6cm lifts? If so, damn, people suck.

I wish you the best of luck with your LL.

With the lifts I get to be average on Brazil, and a little below average in the US (172cm, almost 5'8 ). With the surgery, I plan to be 5'9, and I get to be 5'11 whenever I'm feeling like it (heck, lifting shoes are a bless), but on my day-to-day life I'll not use the lifts as I do now.
And no, I don't get nearly as many comments as I did before, but I still do. Yesterday I was hanging out with this guy and when we said good bye, he said "God, you have such tiny legs, you look so small", to which I responded "but we are the same height..." (we were, with my lifts), and he replied "yeah, but it's just my impression". So yeah, I think that although the lifts make me taller, my legs still look small to other people. I have no way of knowing, as it's really hard to analyze myself.

myloginacct

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 02:44:44 AM »

I see. Thanks for the reply.

It's sad that we live in such a world where people will discriminate and say things like that to your face. However, this will be your last year facing anything like that. Awesome job working yourself to that spot in life. I hope you manage to get everything that you wanted to get out of LL.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »

Hey there,

My surgery is scheduled for April 5th, so I'll update this thread with how it goes. I'm currently 5'6 aiming at 5'9. I research and desire to go under this procedure for more than a decade now. I've told my closest friends and family. It was really hard convincing my folks to accept it. They won't be paying for a thing, I'll pay everything out of my own pocket, but still, they are very conservative people. Besides that, my dad is a radiologist, so bones are kind of his thing and he dedicated almost an entire day on Skype lecturing me about the possible complications.

A little bit about me: I'm a 25yo male engineer in Sillicon Valley. I'm originally from Brazil and moved here about an year ago. I was born with an external rotation on my hips, which basically means that I walk wiggling my butt. It also hurts when I hike or sprint, as I seem to put too much pressure on my shins. Anyhow, I spent an entire life pittying myself for being both short and with funny legs, but the latter turned up being a money saver. I went on my surgeon (Dr. Mahboubian, in North Hollywood) first visit back 3 months ago, and he told me he's able to fix my bone rotation in the same procedure. In other terms, since the surgery now qualifies for an anatomic correction, my health insurance will pay for the hospital fees (which is roughly half the price of the whole thing). Yay.

Now, about why I'm doing this: not for the women, let me make this clear. Most of the posts on this forum are about height insecurities in the sxxual context, which is a pretty plausible reason, but mine isn't that. First, I play for the other team. Second, I feel my height affects my professional context much more. I've felt my entire life that I was not taken very seriously by friends or co-workers, in the sense that I'm often target of jokes, keep being called "half-a-person" and things like that. Just like a transsxxual person looks in the mirror and can't identify with the body they live in, I look in the mirror and never felt happy about the height of my own body. Just the height, nothing more. Maybe that's a thing that psychoanalysts will eventually talk about.

I'm very excited about the upcoming months. I'll take 1 month leave from work. I'll try to use half vacation time and half sick time off. It will also be a correction surgery after all, which is going to improve my overall health and well-being. My co-workers only know about the correction part. They know I feel pain in my legs and my outdoor activity is very limited. They don't know about the other side of the coin and I prefer to maintain like that. There's too much taboo around this procedure and I don't want funny looks. Also, I've been using lifting shoes for the past year, which give me around 6cm. I'll stop using them after the surgery so it becomes almost unnoticeable.

Finally, I decided to not stop my life during the recovery months. I don't know if I'll manage, but I'll keep going to the office. In a wheelchair, of course. My mom will be here with me for 3 months, so she will help me with everyday things.

That's it for today. I'm really excited and will keep you all posted. Hopefully I can help some of you and you can help me back. Talk soon!

great, all the best. I have 2 questions - may I PM you?

MirinHeight

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »

looking forward to this diary.

I Am still considering Mahboubian for external tibias with TSF frame (live in cali) so can't wait for you to tell us about your hopefully good experience :)
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

LAGrowin

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your story. Shame about your pre-existing problem, but that's great that it's now working in your favor.

LAGrowin will have his procedure in January with Dr. Mahboubian as well. You two are starting 2018 right!

Fallen774,

Thank you for sharing with us.  Happy to hear of another Dr. Mahboubian patient. 

As Android mentioned above, I am a few months ahead of you, and about 2 weeks away from surgery with Dr. Mahboubian.  Getting nervous, but excited.   I'm in my 40s, feel in my 30's and share in your height stats.  5'6" and hoping for  8CM to 5'9".   

Wishing you the best!

fallen774

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 09:24:13 PM »

great, all the best. I have 2 questions - may I PM you?

Sure!

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »

fallen774

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 03:15:04 AM »

Hey all,

The day has finally arrived. I did my surgery 4 days ago, so here's a summary of how my days have been (I'll split it in several posts):

DAY 1
I slept very little on the night before the surgery. Woke up at 3AM and couldn't sleep again out of overthinking. Was this the right decision, or did I get here due to my impulsiveness? I didn't know. I was mostly apathetic and couldn't feel fear nor joy. I wasn't anxious neither. All I could think of is that I had too show up at the hospital by 5:30AM and I was going to be bored for the next 2 hours.

Took a shower, dressed up, left my room and saw that my parents were getting ready as well. Called Uber and by 5:20AM I was at the hospital, looking for the right place to check in. Found it, gave them my name and waited for about 15 mins. First step was just giving basic information and signing a bunch of paperwork related to my rights, my insurance and some other bureaucratic stuff.

I was directed to the short stay nursing area. Went there and checked in again, they put a hospital wristband with my name on me, and led me to a private room. I was repeatedly asked the same questions about drugs I was current using, DoB, last name, etc (you really can't mess this up). I was then asked to change my clothes into a hospital apron and was given a last chance to pee.

The anesthesiologist shortly came into my room and asked some of the same questions again, then briefly told me what he was going to do and said that he would see me in the operating room. Then Dr. M arrived, asked if I was excited and met my parents (they're temporarily visiting from another country to support me through the process).  Then, a very friendly guy came into the room to shave my upper legs, wished me good luck and I was finally taken to the operating room. My parents were left in a waiting area somewhere in the way.

The operating room was quite big and there were quite a few people in there. I didn't count but I would say that definitely more than 6. They were all very friendly and started asking questions about where I come from, what do I do, etc. It was around 7:45AM when the doc came into the operating room. A lady was holding some paperwork and read it out loud my name and the reason that at I was there – "bilateral femur osteoplasty with femoral derotation". Everyone nodded. That's the furthest I can remember. I don't remember going to sleep, or even closing my eyes. The next thing I know is consciously opening my eyes and having some folks moving my legs in many different positions. As far as I recall, it was around 1PM. They were taking my X-Rays. I remember babbling about pain on my legs and telling them that it was hurting me. Not a 10 but maybe a 6. I was very confused. The nurse came and put some pain killers on my IV. I was then told that I was under PCA and was given a black device with a button. Whenever I pushed it, 1mg of morphine would flow to my bloodstream, but I could only do it once every 10 mins. After they finished taking my X-Rays, I was taken to my room. They called my parents to say that the surgery was over and I was conscious in my room. I was conscious but a little bit confused. It took a while to notice I had a catheter on me and to remember exactly what I was doing there. It didn't last long, though. The nurses came in and introduced themselves, took some vitals, asked if I was doing OK. I was constantly under morphine so the hard pain didn't really hit me. Throw a rock on me now but when I heard that I could only use it every 10 minutes, somehow my brain interpreted it as "DO use it every 10 minutes". Consequences would come up later.

It wasn't long till Dr. M came check on me. He told me that everything went fine and that he used the thickest nails. He asked if I noticed how my feet were better aligned now, which was something I totally forgot to do. I urged to take out the sheets and take a look at my own legs. Despite being full of large gauze pads all over my thighs and glutes, I was amazed to see how my knees better aligned with my feet now. I felt so happy. I'm not so good at expressing emotions tho, so I'm sure I had a "meh" face – but I made sure to tell him I was very satisfied with the results. Then, he displayed my X-Rays on a screen by my side and called my dad (who is a radiologist) to see it. He explained again what he did, reassured that everything went well and asked me to rest. Before he left, he said he was going to pay me visit the next morning.

The rest of the day was full of hospital staff coming into the room to check on me. I was given water and some soap, which I ate entirely in no time since I had been fasting for the past 14 hours. Later in the afternoon, PT came into the room to check on me. He asked if I could feel my feet, which I could. Then he asked me to move my feet and my fingers, which I also did.  Then, some exercises to lift my legs, move it sideways, bend my knees... and then I noticed I couldn't bend it past 90°. Maybe due to the muscle incisions and trauma of the surgery itself. I heard it was expected. My range of motion was quite limited but I was happy to be able to do it all. He then showed me a walker and asked me to stand up on a scale, holding the walker. I took a few minutes but I did it. Not much pain, mostly muscle discomfort – my legs felt VERY tight. He asked if I could walk. I was going to do that, when I felt a sudden dizziness, like I was gonna vomit. I told him about that and he said it was ok to continue the next day. I felt bad for not doing the entire session but knew that this was the right thing to do. They gave me some vomit bags, I laid down again but nothing ended happening, it was just a temporary sickness.

TV didn't have many options, and honestly I was too high and confused from all the medication – and the morphine, since I was pressing the button every 10 minutes. I enjoy privacy and personal space a lot, mainly during stressing times, but despite me asking my parents several times for them to sleep at our Airbnb and come to the hospital early in the morning, they ended up deciding to stay. I think it was good after all, since I'd struggle a lot that night. Continues on day 2.

Android

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 06:07:02 AM »

Great start Fallen! That's funny about the morphine drip, good thing there's a limiter; God forbid you hear something like "press it 10 times per minute."

And like you first shared, your hip rotation was indeed a blessing in disguise. Glad to hear that you're getting that fixed too, with the insurance savings to boot.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

LAGrowin

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 07:12:31 AM »

Very happy your journey is of to a good start Fallen. Hope we get to meet up with the other guys soon and share stories.  I wish you the very best.

Keep us posted.   

short2tall

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 07:33:41 AM »

Hey buddy, I didn't notice your diary until just now. Glad your surgery went well. That's really lucky that you were able to correct your rotation AND that it enabled you to get insurance coverage for the hospital fee! Anyway, I hope we all get to meet up next week!
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

fallen774

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 05:35:53 AM »

Sorry for the long time to update. Lots of things happened last week.

DAY 2
I forgot to mention that around 10PM on day 1, a nurse came to take my catheter out. I asked her to do it slowly, since others reported in this forum that sometimes it is pretty painful. She kind of ignored and pulled it out in about 3 seconds. No pain, just a weird sensation.
I couldn't sleep, even with so much morphine on my system. As a matter of fact, because of the excess in morphine I started having an allergic reaction. At 1AM my whole body was extremely itchy. Due to my limits in motion, I couldn't reach some spots such as my feet or my lower legs, nor the spots under the dressings, which made the night horrible.
I asked the nurse to put some Benadryl on my IV, but it didn't seem to help. During the night my pain increased and the nurse increased the morphine dosage from 1mg to 1.5mg, and then from 1.5mg to 2mg. That was every 10 minutes.
As my body was getting overwhelmed with so much morphine, my itchiness only increased. That's when my mom suggested that maybe the morphine was causing a reaction on my body. I called in the nurse and asked if this was possible, to which she confirmed. I started using it less and less and eventually the itchiness subsided.
Dr M paid me a visit early in the morning to check how was everything. He answered some questions I had and told me that the first few days would be tough.
The rest of the day went quite well. I had breakfast and lunch on the hospital, was able to pee – actually, I was peeing every hour or so – and eat with no major issues.
The nurses came in every hour to check my vitals.  Eventually I got a visit from the PT to try and get me moving. I was able to walk up til the corridor and back, with the walker. I was able to stand for more than 10 minutes before I urged to go back to bed. The PT told me I did great for only my second day after this major surgery.
I was then told I was being released today. I actually got excited since I don't like hospitals that much. I received a visit from the case manager and she told me she was able to get me a commode and a walker through my insurance. Yay!
I left the hospital by 4PM. The hospital arranged a transportation van for me, which means I didn't have to leave the wheelchair. But my wheelchair hadn't arrived from Amazon at that time, so I used one from the hospital. They led me into the van and I went up in a mini-elevator. Ride home was quite smooth. When I got there, the driver rolled me into my apartment and then into my bed, so he could return the chair.
I got a notification from Amazon saying that they tried delivering the wheelchair but failed. I had my parents running to the closest USPS at 5PM to try and get it. Lucky for me, the wheelchair was there and they were able to retrieve it.
By 10PM everybody was pretty much tired. I went to bed after taking a Norco, but woke up a few times during the night. Thought was going to be a nightmare sleeping with the belly up but Norco is quite a saver.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:11:10 AM by fallen774 »

fallen774

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 05:47:37 AM »

DAYS 3-4
The weekend was quite good. I was recovering fantastically well and using the walker quite often. Maybe that was my mistake. I had lots of energy and was trying to do a bunch of things by myself. Not much pain, maybe the anesthesia hadn't wore off. I was able to stay in the wheelchair and use the PC for hours without feeling any discomfort. Sleeping was the worst part, so I always relied on Norco to help.
I wasn't able to do any bowel movement so far, so by Sunday it had been 5 days without a bowel. That got me worried, but I received a visit from home care nurse on that same day. She changed my dressings and recommended me to take a suppository, just for the first week. Norco slows down your intestines and to much of it can shut down your digestive system. I took a suppository on Sunday night and was able to have my first BM pos-op.
My range of motion on both legs was about 90° bending. My right leg was a little bit more swollen than the left one but not much significantly, so I was calm. Took a Norco and went to bed.
Btw, so far I was on about 6 pills of Norco a day.

fallen774

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 05:55:22 AM »

How my legs looked right after operation:

jjh770812

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 06:11:19 AM »

HI friend
i come from Taiwan
hope you have happy ending
by the way
USA health insurance would cover you ??

fallen774

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 01:08:44 PM »

DAY 5
This is the day that my life started becoming a nightmare. Everything was good during the morning.  Woke up, took my Xarelto, Vitamin D and Calcium. Spent a little bit of the morning time in bed, and then moved up to the wheelchair. So far, staying in bed was the worst. Keeping my legs 180° caused lots of pressure on my knees, front and back. I think the pain in the back of the knees was related to the very big bruising I had (will upload an image soon).
By afternoon, I was sitting in the living room when I started feeling a discomfort on my right buttock. It felt as if I could feel the screw touching my butt. I sent an email to the doc and he promptly responded telling me to apply ice packs on the area, as it might've been a little bit more inflamed. I did and it helped for a while.
The real struggle started during the night. Around 8PM I started feeling a slightly sharp pain on my right leg. I could sense there was a specific spot; if I touched it, my body would shake in pain. Heard they call it a tender point.
The pain only intensified as the hours passed. Norco only lasts about 1h on my system, so I couldn't rely on that. Around 11PM, the pain was such that I was sweating and shaking. I took my temperature and it showed 101.6° F, which is considered fever. I read the manual I was given after being discharged from the hospital to try and find what to do. Ended up reading about something called 'compartment syndrome'. There were about 10 items in the symptoms list and it recommended going to the ER if you experienced at least one of them. I was experiencing 7. So, right before midnight, I was calling Uber to go to the ER with my folks.

170cmMan

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 08:33:13 PM »

I hope you are doing well. Glad you decided to get checked out. Compartment syndrome is rare with femoral surgeries. Please tell us how things ended up.

Android

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »

Wow, sorry to hear that this happened. I'm guessing you're better now since you're writing about this after the fact, hope that it went smoothly.

MirinHeight

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 02:30:33 AM »

could be fat embolism syndrome.
that usually starts with a fever. hope everything is well
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

fallen774

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 04:55:29 AM »

DAY 6
Getting to the ER was a little bit complicated, mainly because by the time the Uber was at my place, the slightest movement on my right leg would make me want to die. The pain was really intense, easily 10/10. I tried getting accessible vans with elevator for wheelchair patients but at midnight it was really an impossible task. I was really desperate to get to the hospital so I would beg the Uber driver to take me if he denied it because of my condition.
Fortunately, he didn't. I was able to lean on the door with one hand and on the seat with the other hand, and pulled myself up. Pain was intense but my desire to get to the ER was bigger. I had to sit diagonally, with the healthy leg touching the ground and the other one resting on the seat.
When I got to the ER, I got even more desperate. So many people in the waiting room. I checked-in and told them I had done a surgery at that same hospital about 5 days back. After a few minutes waiting, they called me to triage, and then was sent to do some blood tests and chest X-Ray -- they wanted to make sure I didn't have pneumonia (???). I was then told to wait about 45 minutes for the results to come out.
I waited about 10 minutes in the living room when the pain got really unbearable. I thought I was going to faint. My leg was hard as rock, I was sweating a lot and had a hard time breathing. That might've been the anxiety kicking in but I decided to call Dr. M. I found out he has someone available 24/7 to call him in case of emergencies. I called and told that I was in the ER, and desperately needed to talk to him. They told me that I should have someone in the ER calling them instead.
When I hung up the phone, I completely freaked out. I knew I would wait a lot and the thought of losing my leg to compartment syndrome just kicked in so bad that I completely lost any shyness or insecurity that I usually have. I rolled myself into the triage room again and asked to talk to the same person that first saw me. I begged her to please call my doctor's office to tell him that I was there and that I might've had compartment syndrome. It was just a guess based on a bunch of common symptoms in a manual I was given by the hospital itself upon checking out, but it was definitely worth checking. She saw how nerve wreck I was and called someone to check up on me instantly. They put me in a bed and asked to see my legs (I had some long pants on). As soon as they saw how bad it was, I was immediately sent to a private room to be seen by a doctor. They first put me on IV to give me some pain killers. I honestly tried taking Norco but it simply didn't work.
The night was endless. I did several exams (blood tests, urine tests, X-Ray, Ultrassom) to try to get an idea of what exactly was happening. I was ok after the painkillers kicked in through the IV, so the pain was manageable, but I was still really nervous about the possibility of needing another surgery. This is a completely unknown territory for most of us, because even though we spend hours and hours on this forum reading diaries and other patient's experiences, everyone of us may go through some unpredictable things.
It was around 7AM when my results came out. And guess what... nothing. Precise nail was fine, no blood clots, no infection and no compartment syndrome. All major concerns were ruled out, which left only one explanation: some blood vessel was leaking and caused a major internal bleeding. Just so you have an idea, I measured the diameter of my left leg at some point above my knees and it was 38cm. On that same spot in the right leg it was more than 45cm.
By the time I was discharged from the hospital, I still couldn't move my right leg anymore. Copy-paste the same history about how hard it was getting an Uber back home, and then by 8AM I was back in my bed. The rest of the day was just shoving down Norco every 4 hours and ice packing my leg. Part of me was relieved that it wasn't anything that would require intervention, but part of me was mad for putting myself through this. For not overthinking things that could go wrong. For underestimating the whole process. In a matter of hours I had my right leg outgrow my left one by lots of cms and I would just think how fked up this is. It was the first time in my life going through something so major in my own body, and it was definitely the most intense pain I've ever felt. During the entire day I felt the urge to call the doctor's office but I knew it wasn't going to change a thing. I knew I just had to fight the pain and my body would eventually heal.
And so I did. I spent the entire day in bed. It was a Tuesday, and my follow-up with Dr. M was on a Friday. By Friday, I had to be healthy enough to start the whole lengthening process. It was going to be some tough days -- the toughest ones in my life, I would argue.

lickerish

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 06:16:43 AM »

No fking way dude, I was diagnosed with the pelvic tilt back in highschool now you're telling me that hospital fees can be covered by insurance?! If this isn't a sign then I don't know what is...good luck on your recovery my friend.

lickerish

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 06:26:44 AM »

Damn reading this is pretty discouraging, you can get through it man! also, I am noticing that most cases of extreme pain seem to be with femurs. anyone else?

myloginacct

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »

Damn reading this is pretty discouraging, you can get through it man! also, I am noticing that most cases of extreme pain seem to be with femurs. anyone else?

Well, at least recently, the people describing pain levels of 7~10/10 have all been femur patients. That's my impression too, at least.

Fallen: I'm very glad it was nothing major. Good job being a warrior through that 10/10 pain, the Uber cabs, and the ER visit. A lot of the people here doing internal femurs hired caretakers. Did you consider doing that too? Or are your parents going to be with you for the whole process? EDIT: I read this in the OP again, but I'm going to keep my post as it was: "My mom will be here with me for 3 months, so she will help me with everyday things."

I hope you can remain strong until Friday. Don't be afraid of reaching out to your doctor by mail or phone even for trivial things. This is a ridiculously invasive and expensive surgery.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:11:29 PM by myloginacct »

Android

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 08:11:05 PM »

What a twist!

170cmMan

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »

So were you able to get in touch with Dr. M to let him know about your issue? It seems like something the emergency physician should have called Dr. M about for further guidance/consultation, especially if you have an obvious thigh size discrepancy, decreased leg function, and possible occult bleeding. I'm sure Dr. M wouldn't mind you coming in earlier to the clinic the next day for outpatient assessment.

fallen774

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 05:34:49 AM »

Sorry for the disappearance guys. I'm on my 37th day post-op now and let me tell you: things WILL get better. Trust me. No amount of diaries reading would make me believe it until I actually went through it. The first 3 weeks are tough. Don't get overconfident and try doing things by yourself on the first few days, you will definitely need help, and you must give your body time to heal. Do PT, but take it easy on the beginning. Your legs went through a HUGE trauma and they will heal, just don't push it too hard.

My initial idea is that I'd be able to update this thread every day. Now, I see that's highly unlikely. The downsides of this surgery are not only physical but also psychological. I had 0 energy or motivation to do things. Sometimes I'd catch myself just staring at the wall and waiting for time to pass. Yes, it varies from person to person, but I really got into this emotional limbo. I would even get lazy about turning on the TV. I just didn't want to do anything.

The reason I'm conjugating those verbs in the past is that I honestly believe I'm on a better path now. After staying in LA for almost 6 weeks, I'm going back to the Bay Area tomorrow. I'm really excited about going back to work and I think it'll keep my mind busy. I miss doing things and going out and seeing my friends and although I'm still bounded to a wheelchair/walker, going to my workplace is something I'm really looking forward to.

Now, if you read my previous posts, you remember the drama I had with ER. Looking backwards, I can honestly say that that was one of the major obstacles of this process. The pain level was definitely high and I did have my right leg swollen for weeks after that. My range of motion on the right leg was really poor compared to the left one and I was pessimist to think that I wouldn't gain it back. Just to give you an idea of how messed up my right leg was, look at these pictures: https://imgur.com/a/NhMKBpf. Needless to say that now, both my legs are the same.

Regarding the femur rotation that I also did, here's a before/after pictures of how my legs used to be when rested and how they are now: https://imgur.com/a/6gTZrw7. I'm really happy with the results :)

My lengthening started on April 14th and I lengthened 4 times a day for the first 5 days, and then went to 3 times a day. My second appointment with Dr. M was on April 27th, and by then I had lengthened 1.6cm. He told me to keep the pace of 3 times a day. Back then, I wasn't relying much on the walker and wasn't taking any sunbath -- but on the other hand, I was doing PT every single day. After that appointment I decided to mostly walk and take at least 1 hour of sunbath every day. That seemed to work, as I had my third appointment earlier today and my bone growth is really good -- https://imgur.com/a/txNa99D. So good that he asked me to go 4 times a day for 14 days, and come back to see him. He is really worried that I might have premature consolidation, so we'll see how things go from here. I decided that instead of mailing him the X-Rays, I'll catch a flight once every 2 or 3 weeks. The Bay Area is pretty close to Los Angeles and the flight is no longer than 1 hour.

I'm at 3cm as of today and my mobility is really good, I'm able to walk fast with the walker and actually got a compliment from the PT. He said that he was really impressed by the way I was walking at this point, which made me pretty happy :-)

I'm taking Vitamin D and Os-Cal 2 times a day, and Norco as needed -- as few as possible. I stopped taking Norco before the PT and I'm mostly using it before bedtime. I'm starting to feel tight on my hamstrings, on my abductors and a little bit of pain on my right knee, but I'm stretching a lot and doing as much PT as possible. Massage also helps a lot with the tightness. I'm already able to sleep with my belly down without any pain (which I really had on the first few weeks), which is the only way I can properly sleep, but it only lasts for 2-3 hours. I always wake in the middle of the night with my legs feeling really tight, and then I force myself back to sleep. I'm taking Ambien to aid me with that and let me tell you, it REALLY works. Try asking your doctor to prescribe you that if you have trouble sleeping.

Finally, here's a spreadsheet that I'm organizing with all the days, the expected gains and the real gains -- https://imgur.com/a/poZXJW4. Any feedback on how to improve it would be really helpful. So far all the measures from the X-Rays are matching the expected gains and my real height I'm measuring once every few days also matches it. I plan on going up to 7cm (yes, the title of this thread was made by the pre-op naïve me), but if I get there and I see I can do more, I'll do it. If I see I'm not able to get up to 7cm, I'll stop earlier. That all depends on how my next weeks will go.
Btw, I'm using this stadiometer to measure my height and it's really good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B68C638/.

That's all for today folks, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to be more active here going forward!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:07:40 AM by fallen774 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up