Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There won't be any short people born in East Asia in 30+ years.  (Read 755 times)

CaptainAmerica

Anyone want to take a bet on this?

Scientists have already found a lot of the genes pertaining to height... If someone could point me back to it, I found a neat website that showed the human genome and a lot of identified genes for different diseases and traits... It had things like short/tall height, baldness, allergies, predisposition to diseases, etc...

On that website it listed a few key genes in particular that resulted in greater than average height, one gene caused the people who had it to be abnormally tall, like 6'3+. That's just one example.

I think it'll take longer for the west to do it, or maybe they won't ever (just because how delusional and sensitive the west is about things like this). But in China, Korea, etc.. I have no doubts they will start genetically engineering their children as soon as possible. China for example aborted millions of babies just because they were female.

Genetic engineering probably won't even be that expensive either, I don't know, I'm just speculating, but with how simple and small the process seems to modify (a baby before it is even developing) I can't imagine it'll cost more than maybe $3000 for a basic gene editing kit.

I seriously think we'll see a massive, massive influx of Chinese/Koreans who are 6'0+, and maybe the West will catch on 10 years after that and start doing the same.

I don't really care, I'll be nearly 50 by then so it's not like this is me trying to be a pessimist or a cry/whine post. I just think it's reality. It could even happen sooner.

example: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2123973-first-results-of-crispr-gene-editing-of-normal-embryos-released/

and CRISPR is supposed to be really cheap, like $500 or so.

Now imagine at an economy of scale, with it being a common place procedure for newborns, the price will drop even lower. I'm sure in 10 years it will become common just for preventing diseases or harmful mutations, and then once that's proven stable they will move onto designer babies/choosing desired traits.

Johnson1111

Re: There won't be any short people born in East Asia in 30+ years.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:45:45 AM »

Won't matter IMO because then the next attractive "height" will be the next hardest attainable thing that's out of anyones control.

If you can control it = Less attractive = Society Logic 

i.e your face, height, proportions, eye color etc

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:48:44 AM »

In all seriousness I think Jesus will resurrect before this happens.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:49:34 AM »

So true, being 6'0 is an accomplishment to society as if you have to earn it. Ignorance is bliss.

CaptainAmerica

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:51:24 AM »

Won't matter IMO because then the next attractive "height" will be the next hardest attainable thing that's out of anyones control.

Not immediately, there will be a big gap between the 3rd world/poor kids who were born naturally and the modified kids for at least ~20 years until the gene editing becomes cheap enough for the poorer people to compete. Or maybe the Chinese government/governments will subsidize that for the poor families. Also don't forget some parents are naive or delusional or don't imagine having a baby who grows into adult. There are adults who don't vaccinate their kids, adults who give birth to downs/severely disabled children, etc.. even now.

Still, I don't see how that's a bad thing. People will be judged on wealth/personality more than the traits they can't control.

I do think some size and height is inherent in human nature as a part of dimorphism alone, maybe 3-4 inches taller than your mate. But after that I really do think it's social. Height for attractiveness is a industrial revolution onward type of thing from what I've read.

That may also be just because there is nothing that much more attractive on a 5'8 guy compared to a 5'5 guy, and back then 5'8 was considered tall... But there really is a big difference between a 6'3 guy and a 5'5 guy, just in overall body composition and shape. It's pretty funny reading about great Roman vicious emperors/ruthless gladiators and realizing that they would essentially be compensating manlets mocked in YouTube comments these days.
Pages: [1]   Go Up