Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giotikas : unilateral surgery. Need advice  (Read 825 times)

Antoine187

• Visitor
Giotikas : unilateral surgery. Need advice
« on: July 20, 2019, 06:01:01 AM »

Dear helpful users,

I have met couple of doctors but now I have decided to go with Giotikas in September (if some of you are planning it, I would be happy to discuss) with Stryde femur 5cm max (I want full and quick recovery so no need to comments this point).

But my main concern is the risk linked to the surgery itself and above all embolism (which is by far the main risk as the risk of deadly complication is really high for bilateral femur). To considerably reduce the risk, I am considering unilateral (the risk of aneastecia is significantly lower)

There is a few topics on the subject and I know Monegal used to perform unilateral but still I am quite surprised to see that Doctors are not offering this approach and that the subject is not discussed more often on the forum. If you just read a few papers on embolism, you may be surprised too (even if the doctor know how to deal with it, if there is way to reduce a deadly risk, it should be used)

So here is my approach (already discussed with Giotikas and the costs increase only by a few Keur so ok for me) but I would really appreciate if veterans/ experiment users can give me their opinions :

- Day 1 : surgery first leg
My guess is the pain should be more bearable and I would be completely independant a few days after surgery (which is reallly important as I will be without friends/family)

- Day 30 : surgery second leg
The first leg will be only 2cm taller so not a big discrepency and also recovered from the initial  surgery. So my guess is the post surgery part will also be easier with one leg recovered.

- Day 60 : end of lengthening for the first leg (5cm)

-  Day 90 ; end of lengthening 2nd leg, going home, just with a cane to support this 2nd leg.

So in my opinion (but once again I am asking for advice from veterans/experimented users), the unilateral approach just take a bit longer before the end of lengthening (arguable as your first leg can already heal) but you considerably reduce the risk of the surgery itself and the post surgery part will be easier as you don't have the 2 legs destroyed at the same time.

What do you think of my above plan ?

Thanks a lot!

daikioni

Re: Giotikas : unilateral surgery. Need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »

Im new here and i have a question. you cant do both legs (femurs) in one surgery?

JON SNOW

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 05:09:35 PM »

in my opinion  is far better   biilateral ,  cons with unilateral  are, is a bit more expensive, time of entire procudure double,  pain level is the same just location is 1 leg source instead of 2

the theoretical risk of fat embolism is very small and a competent doctor with the right equipment should be able to diagnostic and treat FE , beside everything has a risk, for example you would take a plane or a train for travel to athens they could crash theoretically but odds are very small so million of people use potentially fatal transportation safe/ish

having say than, if i was not able to handle/tolerate the risk of FE then my plan would be 1 leg first and 3 week later the other one, is safe regarding FE and reduce timeline of the entire thing

Cpl2012

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:57 AM »

Dear helpful users,

I have met couple of doctors but now I have decided to go with Giotikas in September (if some of you are planning it, I would be happy to discuss) with Stryde femur 5cm max (I want full and quick recovery so no need to comments this point).

But my main concern is the risk linked to the surgery itself and above all embolism (which is by far the main risk as the risk of deadly complication is really high for bilateral femur). To considerably reduce the risk, I am considering unilateral (the risk of aneastecia is significantly lower)

There is a few topics on the subject and I know Monegal used to perform unilateral but still I am quite surprised to see that Doctors are not offering this approach and that the subject is not discussed more often on the forum. If you just read a few papers on embolism, you may be surprised too (even if the doctor know how to deal with it, if there is way to reduce a deadly risk, it should be used)

So here is my approach (already discussed with Giotikas and the costs increase only by a few Keur so ok for me) but I would really appreciate if veterans/ experiment users can give me their opinions :

- Day 1 : surgery first leg
My guess is the pain should be more bearable and I would be completely independant a few days after surgery (which is reallly important as I will be without friends/family)

- Day 30 : surgery second leg
The first leg will be only 2cm taller so not a big discrepency and also recovered from the initial  surgery. So my guess is the post surgery part will also be easier with one leg recovered.

- Day 60 : end of lengthening for the first leg (5cm)

-  Day 90 ; end of lengthening 2nd leg, going home, just with a cane to support this 2nd leg.

So in my opinion (but once again I am asking for advice from veterans/experimented users), the unilateral approach just take a bit longer before the end of lengthening (arguable as your first leg can already heal) but you considerably reduce the risk of the surgery itself and the post surgery part will be easier as you don't have the 2 legs destroyed at the same time.

What do you think of my above plan ?

Thanks a lot!
Can’t wait to hear from you!

Antoine187

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 11:36:04 AM »

Thanks for your comment!

If you do some research, you will find that the risk of embolism is quite high during surgery (please of course do your own research, but here is the figures confirmed by various surgeons I asked (not only LL surgeons) : risk of FE is between 1 and 2%  and when it happens the risk of severe complication (dying including) is about 10-20% so the risk is about 1/500)
So for me, it is nonsense to compare such a high risk with the risk of driving or taking a plane which is significantly lower.

This surgery has definitevely many risks and FE is one of the biggest one for internal femur (no matter the doctor as if it happens there is no real way to avoid it) and doing one leg after the others is the best way to diminish this risk.

And I agree with you I am planning to do the 2nd surgery max 4 weeks after the first to reduce time.

Antoine187

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:38:31 AM »

Thank you!

It is coming soon for me as the first leg is planned end of September!

I am really exciting to start this process and to share my experience even if I am really afraid at the same time..

Pages: [1]   Go Up