Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for experience on Precice for my situation  (Read 1089 times)

bgreeneee

Looking for experience on Precice for my situation
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »

47 year old male. I have a 1.1" discrepancy in my right femur due to an accident as a teenager and subsequent growth issues in that leg. I'm reasonably mobile, just have to wear lifts on all my shoes. I have some other complications from my accident like knee issues...but I can run and hike and be generally active.

I considered the Ilizarov 20 years ago but was not interested in how invasive/prone to complications it was at the time.

I'm now considering the Precice nail. I have a surgeon who has experience with it and insurance that will cover the costs as well as a job where I can take leave as necessary. I'm in California.

What I'm looking for:
1. Timeline: Is a 4 month timeline to be reasonably mobile again realistic or how long should I expect? That assumes 1 month for growth and then 3 months for healing.

2. Pain: I don't have to be mobile to work and can work from home as long as I'm able to be mentally alert...but wondering how long I should plan to be off. Is 2 weeks reasonable to plan for...or will there be enough pain that I should plan on longer?

3. Other's experience for this "small" of a growth? I understand that it gets riskier and more painful as you push farther. Anyone out there that has only done an inch? I teeter between thinking I'm crazy to consider and thinking why wouldn't I do this?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Movie

Re: Looking for experience on Precice for my situation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 04:05:02 AM »

hey brgreene, If you're talking about Mahoubian since you're in california I'd say go for it man! specially if you're not paying out of your pocket.

now as far as going back to work in 2 weeks ... eehhh I don't think so ... I'm about to hit the 2 week mark in 2 days and I WOULD NOT want to go to work, I'm in pain and have to focus in PT to get flexibility and strength back, and I'm 23 and very healthy before the surgery was going to gym often and got a nice build genetically.

4 month timeline sounds reasonable however since you're only doing 1.1 inch

do it if the discrepancy really bothers you, the body is amazing it'll heal back to normal in no time
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

Ghostfish

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:49:04 AM »

HI bgreeneee

4 month timeline is more than enough for you since your goal is only 1.1".  About 6 weeks from the surgery to the end of lengthening and 1-2 months recovery are likely what you need, if you use Precice.  However, if you can use Stryde, you should be able to walk or at least be mobile 3-4 weeks after the surgery.  I don't know whether Stryde can be covered by your insurance.

Pain will be very severe for a least 2 weeks due to the surgery.  It is generally a good idea to take time off until you finish at least lengthening, which in your case is about a month.  After lengthening, pain or discomfort will subdue dramatically everyday.

I saw many ppl who have a leg discrepancy like you, who did surgery to correct this problem.  Most of them have 1-2 inch discrepancy which are very common.  So you are not alone.

bgreeneee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 02:41:34 PM »

Thank you both, exactly the kind of feedback that I was looking for. When you say Stryde, is that just the latest generation Precice device?

InFullStryde

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 05:28:40 PM »

Thank you both, exactly the kind of feedback that I was looking for. When you say Stryde, is that just the latest generation Precice device?

Hi Bgreenee,

Yes, indeed. Styrde is latest generation and the absolute best approach to Limb Lengthening, especially in the femur.   A 1.1 inch should be a relatively smooth process for you. Being up and walking normally in 3 - 4 months is more than reasonable estimate.  Additionally, as mentioned by others; with the Stryde nail, you may even be walking fairly decent as early as a few weeks post op.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

bgreeneee

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:06:26 PM »

Confirmed. I will be using Stryde...which WOW...when I looked into this 20 years ago I said "no way! Now, you can weight bear. OMG!!!! I'm almost in tears this is so AMAZING!!!

Another question for the experts. My doctor was a resident under one of the bigger names out of the Los Angeles area in regards to treating bone deformities and growth issues but now he's part of large healthcare organization and is a trauma surgeon. I'm comfortable with him and his experience. But I've heard a lot of mention of PT and how important it is. My healthcare provider is not known to have great PT, and I also wonder how important it is to have a therapist who understands the process? Anyone have any insight in what I need to look for in a physical therapists? How important is it to have someone who understands this process or will a good general physical therapist be sufficient? What sort of exercises/activities are done during lengthening and after?

Continued thanks for the advice!!!

InFullStryde

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 09:11:48 PM »

Confirmed. I will be using Stryde...which WOW...when I looked into this 20 years ago I said "no way! Now, you can weight bear. OMG!!!! I'm almost in tears this is so AMAZING!!!

Another question for the experts. My doctor was a resident under one of the bigger names out of the Los Angeles area in regards to treating bone deformities and growth issues but now he's part of large healthcare organization and is a trauma surgeon. I'm comfortable with him and his experience. But I've heard a lot of mention of PT and how important it is. My healthcare provider is not known to have great PT, and I also wonder how important it is to have a therapist who understands the process? Anyone have any insight in what I need to look for in a physical therapists? How important is it to have someone who understands this process or will a good general physical therapist be sufficient? What sort of exercises/activities are done during lengthening and after?

Continued thanks for the advice!!!

Hi BG!

I would definitely go with a doctor that has a great deal of experience with Limb Lengthening.   PT is very important, but to have someone who knows LL specifically is not important.   You will want to stretch and lengthen all quad muscles, including hip flexors and hamstrings, as well as keep your lower abs and glutes as strong as possible.  So the general exercises that relieve tight quads, hamstrings, and hips to go along with the bodyweight and band resistance exercises are what you would need. You will want to do this daily; with your stretching being 2 to 3 times per day.   Couple this with routine walking with the walker at first, then graduating to crutches, and finally cane.....ultimately walking again and you will be good to go.  I would look for a qualified Doctor of Physical Therapy.  Most highly rated clinics which you can find on Yelp are more than capable of ensuring your recovery goes well on the PT side!

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

bgreeneee

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »

Surgery is 2 weeks from today. I'm so nervous...I'm a pretty calm guy and I'm holding it together but I honestly don't know whether this is going to be excrutiating or not a big deal or somewhere in the middle. I'm psyched up for excruciating so anything better than that is a bonus. I think I can deal with the short term pain, I'm more worried about the longer term risks...but I obviously think it's worth the risk.

Thanks for the encouragement InFullStryde, GhostFish, and Movie.

I'll plan on doing a diary of sorts to represent those of us in the LLD category...there's not as many patient stories on here for LLD as I see for cosmetic lengthening.

Movie

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 10:00:32 PM »

bgreene I totally understand the anxiety build up as your surgery approaches, in fact I didn't get much sleep the night before my surgery, thankfully I had my partner with me the whole time and that helped a great deal. I also just focused on the goal and that seemed to calm me down, everything will be ok in the end. as far as long term risks for just an inch, I doubt you'll feel any different a few months after you remove the rods.

Best of luck to ya! you're lucky you're not shelling out 70K out of pocket haha, rooting for you
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

wannagrowtaller

Go for it
Pages: [1]   Go Up