Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long after surgery i have to wait before walking close to normal?  (Read 1039 times)

tom paul 24

I plan on doing 7.5cm femur lengthening in January 2020 with Dr Paley.I was wondering how long post-surgery I need to wait before I can return to exercises such as pull-ups,press-ups or any other upper body exercises which do not involve your legs?
Also,I will be going to college in August 2020, will I be able to walk close to normal in August or you guys recommend me to take a gap year?
I would like to get an answer from actual CLLERS.

InFullStryde

Re: How long after surgery i have to wait before walking close to normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »

Hi Tom,

Upper body work outs can resume right away. I started working out pretty consistently around week 2-3 post surgery.  Keep in mind that you will want to have a spotter to help you pick up weights, etc. You will not have the strength to "plant and stabilize" your legs so you will require help.  To maintain my upper body, I was able to use a indoor home gym called bow-flex. It helped me maintain my body and strength fairly well and this approach did not require a spotter, since bow-flex is all "bow-bending". lol

For me, and I'm sure it was faster for others...but "For me"....it was about the 5 month point that I was 100% comfortable with my bone growth and walk to go into my regular gym and work out like normal.   

I have read other diaries, and I see people going on dates, and resuming activity earlier than that...so you might be one of the fortunate ones!  I suppose that much of it has to do with preference and what you are willing to tolerate in terms of pain and inconvenience. 

Let me know if this helps and if you have any other questions for me.

"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

drvbmc

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 03:17:34 AM »

I did LL of 6.4 cm internal femurs. I was walking reasonably well unsupported about 5.5 months post surgery. Give yourself 6-7 months for more than 7 cm.
LL March 2018 with Dr. Mahboubian
6.35 cm internal femurs with Precice 2
163.5 --> 170 cm

tom paul 24

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:59:24 AM »

Hi IFS!
This does help a lot.Thanks a lot for your reply.I think I was reading the older diary when I saw we need 1 year to walk properly again.Does Stryde really make a big difference in terms of recovery time? 5 months is an incredible and fast recovery!
May I ask where did you get the Bow-flex? Did you rent it or something?
Pages: [1]   Go Up