Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nutrition and height  (Read 939 times)

Bigdawg

Nutrition and height
« on: August 17, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »

I started thinking, why is it that people always downplay or minimize how much of a fsctor nutrition has on our height? Is a defense mechanism by short men since they dont want to admit if they ate better or exercised more in their childhood they could have grown more?

Here's a quote from a short man named iwannabetaller talking about height.

"Environment is not the key to becoming tall. Environment affects on average about 20% of your final height in developed countries"

Is he not aware that 20% of height is a huge substantial number for example 20% increase of height on a 5'7 man makes him over 6 foot

loud

Re: Nutrition and height
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »

I started thinking, why is it that people always downplay or minimize how much of a fsctor nutrition has on our height? Is a defense mechanism by short men since they dont want to admit if they ate better or exercised more in their childhood they could have grown more?

I agree with the fact that nutrition during young age is crucial to become taller, in fact new generations after the two wars are getting taller and taller, very quickly just over a couple of generations. Evolution don't work that fast, at all. So I believe there's nothing genetic here. Most of it is lifestyle and nutrition.

I don't agree with you however on the fact that people don't want to admit that if they ate better during their childhood they could have grown more, I mean, who ever said that? we can't go back in time so we are interested in solutions for adults. If I could go back in time I would change many things and probably be 4 inches taller.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »

LMAO man, I didn't see you quoted me until now. Kinda cowardly of you to not quote me directly so I could see it. You're misunderstanding this model. The 20% is calculated based on the person's difference to the average height in a country. If someone is 170 and the average in a country is 177, 20% of the 7 cm difference between that person's height and the average height is assumed to be caused by environmental factors. That's 1.4 cm explained by environmental factors and 5.6 cm explained by genetic factors.

Source
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

GrowTow

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:02:40 PM »

I don't think nutrition is as important as you think.

It's 99% genetics. I go to a school with a diverse population White, Black, Asian, South Asian. Everyone's had good nutrition since it's a sports academy school in a good neighbourhood so no one misses a meal, everyone is educated on nutrition etc.

All the white guys grew to be as tall as their dad or 1-3 inches taller.
All the black guys grew to be as tall their dad or or 1-3 inches taller too.

All the south Asians Indians/Pakistani grew to be as tall as their dad or 1-3 inches taller too [EVEN THOUGH most of their parents had bad nutrition growing up in Asia so having much better nutrition only helped them increase their height the same amount as white and black people.

BUT Asians like Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese must have some sort of hidden height gene because all my Asian friends dads are like 5ft 2 but my friends have grown up to all be like 5'10+

History: China etc were all rich countries hundreds of years ago with good nutrition whereas South Asian countries have never been rich so I think all these Chinese people gained the height gene like Europeans but the past 200 years they've been poor with bad nutrition so didn't maximise their height until now.
May 2023: Completed 5.3cm LON Tibia w AFA 164>169
Upcoming LON Femur in October 2023

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 10:21:56 AM »

All the south Asians Indians/Pakistani grew to be as tall as their dad or 1-3 inches taller too [EVEN THOUGH most of their parents had bad nutrition growing up in Asia so having much better nutrition only helped them increase their height the same amount as white and black people.

BUT Asians like Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese must have some sort of hidden height gene because all my Asian friends dads are like 5ft 2 but my friends have grown up to all be like 5'10+

History: China etc were all rich countries hundreds of years ago with good nutrition whereas South Asian countries have never been rich so I think all these Chinese people gained the height gene like Europeans but the past 200 years they've been poor with bad nutrition so didn't maximise their height until now.

That's some interesting bro science.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up