Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Drop Foot, Frame off for 3 weeks, need advice  (Read 1824 times)

cheekycabs

Bad Drop Foot, Frame off for 3 weeks, need advice
« on: September 11, 2019, 05:56:09 PM »

My drop foot does not seem to be getting better, it's not getting stretched out, it's not getting recovered. I'm trying to wear very low profile shoes and work on lifting my top of my foot and my achilles constantly but it's not helping at all. Starting to get very worried.

Any kind of advice is appreciated.
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

TinyTL

Re: Bad Drop Foot, Frame off for 3 weeks, need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 06:15:22 PM »

I think you are brave being honest about it, most people wouldnt.
I hope it works out in the end...GL

California2

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:57:54 PM »

When you write "drop foot", what do you mean? 

Drop foot is usually caused when a nerve is impaired so that the signal to the foot is not adequately transmitted.  As a result, the front of your foot flops (or drops toward the floor). 

This condition is different than equinas (ballerina) in which your tendon is tight and pulls your forefoot toward the floor which prevents you from standing flat-footed.

Both the above conditions are different from tight ankles or tight feet.  Tight feet and ankles seem pretty common following surgery.  The symptoms are an inability to move your feet and ankles well. 

It has taken several months for my feet and ankles to loosen up.  At first, I couldn't move anything.  Over time things began to move.  When I started walking, things moved more.

What are your symptoms?

cheekycabs

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »

You’re right, it may not be drop foot. Following my surgery and frame removal 3 weeks ago, I’m still having a lot of tightness when I get up out of bed.  And for example I walk very duck-like until things loosen up. I’m currently doing physio but seeing only a bit of improvements. I can definitely walk but it’s jus robotically getting out of a chair or out of bed it is annoying and a tight. I feel like it could be permanrnt
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

prMaster

• Visitor
  • Challenging my limits
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »

You’re right, it may not be drop foot. Following my surgery and frame removal 3 weeks ago, I’m still having a lot of tightness when I get up out of bed.  And for example I walk very duck-like until things loosen up. I’m currently doing physio but seeing only a bit of improvements. I can definitely walk but it’s jus robotically getting out of a chair or out of bed it is annoying and a tight. I feel like it could be permanrnt

Hi,

Please don't be concerned, what you are facing is very normal after frame removal. This is happening because you Tendon Achilles is very tight. Please do aggressive physiotherapy for stretching your tendon and over time it will improve. After you get of from bed stand against the wall for a few minutes so that your tendon relaxes, make sure you are getting maximum stretch on your tendons. I also assume when you stand first after night you are standing very wide legged and when your muscle relaxes you can get it to normal position. Please continue with your physio and your condition will improve in few days.
25-M
Current Height 161cms
Expected Height 167cms

cheekycabs

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 10:15:03 PM »

Hi,

Please don't be concerned, what you are facing is very normal after frame removal. This is happening because you Tendon Achilles is very tight. Please do aggressive physiotherapy for stretching your tendon and over time it will improve. After you get of from bed stand against the wall for a few minutes so that your tendon relaxes, make sure you are getting maximum stretch on your tendons. I also assume when you stand first after night you are standing very wide legged and when your muscle relaxes you can get it to normal position. Please continue with your physio and your condition will improve in few days.

A few days? Its been a month. Have you actually done surgery and had the same or are you just guessing?

California2

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:08:50 AM »

If remember correctly, I was cleared to "carefully" bear full weight (unassisted) on July 4, 2019.  I immediately switched from a rolling walker to crutches; then, to a cane a few weeks later.  About one week ago, I noticed I have been leaving the cane behind more often than not. 

To put it in perspective, out of the blue, a stranger commented to me while I was walking in the park, "are you recovering from surgery?"  I said, "yes."  She said, "I thought something didn't look quite right."

So, as for hobbling--for me (and others by their reports) it is always worse for the first steps/minute.  By my self-assessment, the hobbling/waddling occurs because I lean left and tight to take my weight off my leg to lift my foot instead of lifting my knee.  When I lift my knee (in a way that feels excessive like a Rowan Atkinson imitation) the waddle stops AND my wife says I look pretty normal.

Based on this feedback, I conclude my mind is responding to my old tibia length; thus, I need to develop some new muscle memory.  I can also tell that my brain and my legs are slowly getting back in sync.

As for tight feet/ankles, I am about halfway there.  The more full weight-bearing walking I do, the better the progress.  The more everything I do, the better.  For the past few days, I have been helping a buddy move.  I can pick up things and hold them but don't feel comfortable walking when carrying over about 40 pounds.  Nothing to write home about but still vastly improved from a few months ago.

So, my $0.02 is that you are working through pretty much the same process as me--just a couple of months behind.

Please also remember that according to Professor Solomin, recovery takes 2 months for every centimeter of new length.  So, for me, I am on target to be fully recovered in March 2020.

prMaster

• Visitor
  • Challenging my limits
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 07:32:59 AM »

A few days? Its been a month. Have you actually done surgery and had the same or are you just guessing?

Yes I have done the surgery and I have the same. I talked to my physiotherapist and other patients who have have been through the surgery, early morning stiffness is very normal for tibia lengthening. For some people it takes months to get it right. Hang in there it will be alright.
25-M
Current Height 161cms
Expected Height 167cms

cheekycabs

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »

Well if there is anything that I can possibly do to speed this up? How long does it last? In the mornings my ankles are basically frozen. I've been going to physiotherapy but all they are giving me is electroshock, almost like a TENS unit or electrotherapy. I'm not sure if it's working

Sweden

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »

I did my surgery in January 2013 and my ankles can still be tight sometimes.

I remember it took around 2 years before if felt like no problem getting up in the morning.

You’ll get there. Keep walking.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

cheekycabs

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »

I was thinking something like this while I slept would help the process. Ideas?

TinyTL

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »

Remember you have been like 1 year in frames and the body has gotten used having your ankles "frozen".
Now it will take atleast the same time to re-program you body to move it like it did before.
When I say re-program, i dont mean just laying in bed and going to work, you need to hit the gym/PT. Do 2 months intensive PT then guided PT where you do excercises in gym or home.

I have to warn you, although the human body is amazing at recovery, if you slack on your recovery program the body may permanently forget how it was before (see Swedens case)

cheekycabs

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 08:03:27 PM »

Well please, if anyone has the right recovery program, let me know.

My current physiotherapy consists of using high wave and low wave electro pads, sort of like TENS, for 30 minutes a day, for 10 days. I am not really sure this is the right approach to physio, I think Azerbaijan doctors are questionable at best

As far as physio, I'm using super low profile shoes like Vibrams, or even sandals, everywhere I walk. I'm exercising the ladder type exerciser mounted on the wall to do flexing with my tip toes. Or I'm using stretch bands.

Please, I am very open to ideas.

TinyTL

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »

Well please, if anyone has the right recovery program, let me know.

My current physiotherapy consists of using high wave and low wave electro pads, sort of like TENS, for 30 minutes a day, for 10 days. I am not really sure this is the right approach to physio, I think Azerbaijan doctors are questionable at best

As far as physio, I'm using super low profile shoes like Vibrams, or even sandals, everywhere I walk. I'm exercising the ladder type exerciser mounted on the wall to do flexing with my tip toes. Or I'm using stretch bands.

Please, I am very open to ideas.

I did femurs so I cant really help here. Sorry.

California2

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »

Probably not what you want to hear but it seems to me that patience and persistence is the key. 

Also, trying to evaluate yourself on a daily basis is imprudent because the data set is too small and too similar to the prior data.  Week-by-week and month-by-month.

I am told and I have seen that when I focus on good form, strength and flexibility follows.  So, I push myself every day and see regular and ongoing improvement.

I think very few people appreciate how long it takes to fully recover--but you likely will fully recover if you keep working at it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up