Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My surgery experience in South Korea with Dr.Lee  (Read 4416 times)

Enson

• Visitor
My surgery experience in South Korea with Dr.Lee
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »

Since middle school, I am shorter than my peers, which makes me low self-esteem. I found this surgery 8 years ago, and I've been keeping an eye on it ever since.
One of my friends did the lengthening in India and she had nonunion, the bone didn't regenerate. So she came to Dr. Lee to treat her complication because her friend had leg lengthening surgery with Dr. Lee very successfully.
After comparing the situation of various countries, I chose Dr. Lee, who is excellent in technology, professional and trustworthy. During my lengthening period, I was lucky to have very few pain but this is case by case. And I enjoyed being with the hospital staffs and other patients. Also, Korea society is merciful because a lot of Korean people helped me when i had some problems and needs.
It's a long journey and psychologically tough so it's important to be optimistic and passionate. I enjoyed sharing different cultures with the international patients here which make us to become good friends. Also, I had fun talking to my personal physical therapist Gyeongtaek everyday for 1 hour, we talked about a lot of things. 😆
I have lengthened 5.3 cm for the safety reason. I want to suggest that listening to doctor is important and exercise hard if you want to lengthen more. Through this experience, I have a richer and deeper understanding of the meaning of health and life. Thanks everyone.

Michael01

Re: My surgery experience in South Korea with Dr.Lee
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:19:28 AM »

1) How was food in Donghoon hospital? You can order food from other restaurants nearby by iFood or Uber Eats?
2) How is the VIP room?
3) Is there a gym with indoor pool close to the hospital?
4) Did you do LON tibias?

Kenda

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »

your diary is so short and no details! elaborate more...

cena

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »

your diary is so short and no details! elaborate more...

Be polite Kenda :) Ask what questions you have and request for more details.

Kenda

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 04:23:49 PM »

Be polite Kenda :) Ask what questions you have and request for more details.
who r u....dont @ me, my question is normal telling her to ellaborate

Cpl2012

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 05:53:01 PM »

Congrats and good to hear everything went well. May i ask what method did u use? LON OT PRCISE?

kingjesse

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »

who r u....dont @ me, my question is normal telling her to ellaborate

keep in line, get to that back now  ;)

more

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »

Congrats and good to hear everything went well. May i ask what method did u use? LON OT PRCISE?
You will never get Answer . I am looking forward to see your diary with dr.Lee

shep

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »

Seems like a one-time use account, and I wish there were more updates / Dr Lee diaries!

My guess is that Enson was very satisfied with the surgery and wanted to put it past him/her, and move on with greater satisfaction in life! Even so, big thanks for the contribution to the community!
Considering LL of 6cm in 2021

more

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »

Seems like a one-time use account, and I wish there were more updates / Dr Lee diaries!

My guess is that Enson was very satisfied with the surgery and wanted to put it past him/her, and move on with greater satisfaction in life! Even so, big thanks for the contribution to the community!

Is there any real diary of dr. Lee??
This is just a random post.

Hagane

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 01:58:43 AM »

there are but theyre in korean
and on the kiksa the korean equivalent to our website
https://cafe.naver.com/limblengthening
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

marathonrunner

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 05:36:21 AM »

Any questions regarding dr lee feel free to pm me. I’ve undergone surgery with him a few times already and have stayed at the facility. I will try to answer as factually as I can. Or you can ask here in the forum but I won’t necessarily see it as I only come on every so often.

more

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »

Any questions regarding dr lee feel free to pm me. I’ve undergone surgery with him a few times already and have stayed at the facility. I will try to answer as factually as I can. Or you can ask here in the forum but I won’t necessarily see it as I only come on every so often.

What do you mean a fews times surgery with dr. Lee? could you explain ?
it would be great if you can share publicly to benefit all
Thanks

marathonrunner

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 06:41:44 AM »

Since I got quite a few message from several people let me post here. This forum allows 2 messages to be sent ever hour so its hard to respond to everyone in a timely manner.

I will try to keep this post to my experiences rather than my opinion but if I catch myself giving an opinion I will try to say so.

Doctor:

I guess not much to say here, hes a capable doctor for sure, no disagreement here.

Oh yea.. I just remembered haha, he doesn't like people asking too many questions.
I got yelled at by Dr Lee when I was questioning my x rays too much.

To give you some background, my work is mainly in equity analysis. So understanding strategy, looking deep at 10k's, building financial models, stuff like that. So for me depth of knowledge is as important (or more important) than breadth of knowledge. So I always try to understand something deeply.

He basically said "something something... trust him hes the doctor" which is true, but in my opinion its my legs and I am the type of person that likes to understand so it wouldn't hurt to help me do so.

Also not sure what happened in the last surgery when I moved from external to IM nail to the left leg. But he made some adjustments that made my gap wider than what we agreed on. I was aiming for 5cm max, then I went up to 5.2cm right before the surgery, measured the x ray and everything and it was finalized. But for some reason after the surgery I ended up at 5.7-5.8 (close to 6cm) because my original height was 159.5 my height now is 165.xx.. It was more than I wanted and I had to lengthen my right leg around .6cm to match.

Staff:

For me the nurses was hit or or miss. This will not apply to everyone since I had to do IV for the entire 3-4 weeks I was there with new injections every couple days because the hole will close.

But personally my arms sustained some damage from it. I don't know if they were actually injecting the needle into my vein correctly. But there was 1 point when I couldn't close my left fist due to the pain in my forearm.

But you won't need to go through that.. unless you have an infection.

Some nurses were really nice, others were ok, there was 1 that was a bit growly lol (grrr grrr grrrr), its hit or miss.

The sales staff is very big on marketing and sales, so expect them to try to get the patient to leave a review or do an interview.

There was 1 person who I really liked, the x ray technician, she was this sweet lady who was just super duper nice.

The cleaning staff and other helpers were nice as well.

I mean in my opinion, overall korean people are nice people, don't get drunk and try to fight them.. they will taekwondo your butt but at least in my experience they are really nice. (if you're a different race or culture, I can't speak for anyone elses experience, just my own).

Patients:

When I was there it was mainly Korean people with some Chinese people. Including the staff and patients, the amount of people that could speak english was countable on 1 hand.

I will cover language in a separate section.

But overall I found the patients there to be very nice even though I couldn't communicate much.

But I am an Asian American.. and I lived with a lot of koreans back in LA.. so I do understand the culture already and in my opinion I think it does help that I'm not only American but my parents are from Taiwan. Usually Koreans and Japanese people get along with Taiwanese better than some other countries. And plus I've worked across Asia for 10+ years now.

So my experience won't be the same as others.

One of the Chinese kids who was there was crying for the first few weeks, I think he was home sick and he couldn't communicate much with others and plus hes immobile so it makes the situation even more stressful. But I think he eventually found some people to play video games with.

Food:

It's not great.. I mean if the locals are saying it sucks.. I'm not going to pretend it doesnt.

Language:

I would say 99% of everything is in Korean, again when I was there, I could count how many english speakers there were on 1 hand.

For me it got really lonely at times. So luckily I was there only 3-4 weeks the first time and only 1 week ish the next. So just netflixed a lot and texted the gf a lot.

But for me I think it would have been more comfortable to do the surgery in America where I know people and can speak the language. Being immobile, not being able to speak the language, loneliness.. I can see why that Chinese kid was crying.

Facility:

They have different room types depending on your budget. Of course I already spent too much money so I was always trying to get the 4 bedroom rooms.

The room is set up so there is 1 person in each corner and 1 bathroom to share.

You have a bed some space to put your stuff and a curtain.

Don't mistake the curtain as a sound proof barrier.. we all heard the chinese kid crying because he thought that closing the curtain would make him private. There's no privacy in the 4 person bedroom.. just be aware of this.

Also the doors slide to open and close, so if you wake up at the middle of the night and want to use the bathroom or go outside, you have 2 choices, either open the door as normal and wake everyone up, or open the door centimeter by centimeter to try to make as less noise as possible.

They have wifi and a tv outside, but its a hospital not a hotel so yea.. dont expect it to be a hotel.

Most people will get a helper for the first couple days, mine was snoring like crazy lol. I had to send them away after the first 2 days because the helper sleeps in your room. So technically.. in that tiny room you can have up to 8 people living there.

Some of the people here got apartments outside for cheaper. So they stayed at the facility for 1 month, then moved out with the helper to the apartments outside and just came back daily for PT.

That probably makes more sense.. honestly in my opinion I hated living in the facility. It was not comfortable, you have no privacy, and it's not the best for getting a good nights sleep to heal your broken body.

Dr Lees hospital will market the facility as 24hours nurse availability. Yea its true, but in my opinion honestly after the first few weeks, you already had your stitch out, you're doing PT and lengthening.. you don't really need the nurse anymore.

In my opinion I think the only reason people are staying at the facility now is because Dr Lee doesnt have Stryde so everyone is rolling around in wheelchairs. Once you have Stryde and you can use crutches.. you don't need to be paying an arm and a leg to be staying in the facility and eating their food and listening to people snore.. you can actually fly home and lengthen in the comfort of your home doing the stretches there..

But if you leave DO NOTE YOU NEED TO PAY MORE TO TAKE THE ERC. I think its around 2,500 USD payment (I think, or was it 5,000.. I don't remember sorry).

Business / Marketing:

They do ask patients to give them content for their youtube channel or to leave reviews for them.
In my opinion, if they think you will leave a review, spend more money, do more procedures, they will treat you accordingly.

And it is has been disclosed in this forum before so I'm not leaking any new information but Dr Lee does price foreigners higher.

From what I understand there is a price sheet for Japanese people, Chinese people, English speaking people, and for Korean locals. You can find it on this forum if you search.

But just 1 example for you: looking at the surgery only option between english speakers and koreans, the price can be approx 20,000,000 KRW different. Which is around 20K USD (approx).

So just be aware that they are marketing heavily on youtube and all that because foreigners are higher margin. Foreigners bring in the big bucks for the same surgery so of course their marketing is targeted in that direction.

It kind of sucks because in my opinion I'm not working in America making those big American dollars. And I'm sure people in lets say India will most likely not be making as much as Koreans. But for any English speakers you have to pay that premium regardless of where you're from or where you're working. Only local Koreans get the local price.

After care:

They answered my messages quite haphazardly. Sometimes it comes instantly, sometimes it can take up to 1 month before I got an answer.

In my latest x ray I was off by approximately 1.5mm (measured by Dr Lee) and I was told by Dr Lee to leave it, we can fix the total length (tibia and femur) when we do my femurs. But then I told them I just spent around 150-160K USD on my tibia (because of all the complications) and I would like to get my tibias correct because I am not even sure I have enough money to do femurs.

So I went ahead and lengthened my right leg anyways (I have the erc in my home) by around 1.5mm to match my left leg and when I took new x rays and asked them to help measure it, they got angry and said I disrespected the doctor by not following his instructions. I mean, its not like I ran around carrying 20kg weights on my back. Or I was in a stunt movie jumping building to building.. all I did was try to make my legs more even and they got angry and told me NO! I should fix it when I lengthen my femurs.. in my opinion, that's just.. not.. good.. that just means I need to spend more money, money that I dont have right now.

Which bewildered me because pre-surgey my legs were perfectly equal in length (dr lee did the measurement himself and he was like wow, you have exactly equal legs, he said its rare because usually there are some discrepancies).

After I told them I'm not even sure if I will do femurs the messages stopped. So yea.. no money no honey lol.

Did I forget anything? Any other questions? Anyways, this was just my experience. Don't take it as a be all end all.

I always promote people to do as much research as you can from as many sources as you can.

If any youtube videos are making you wide eye'd and making you want to buy a product, do your research before you put down the money.

It's like buying a car. Are you only going to listen to the salesman selling you the car? No right.. you are going to do your own research to find the car thats best for you, from reading magazines, from looking up information in forums, from meeting with other experts, from going through multiple channels.. correct?

A car can cost how much.. 20k USD.. 30K USD.. 100K USD? So if you are willing to do all this research when buying a car, you best do that research and more when you need to pay between 75K-100K USD for surgery.

Anyways, questions? Let me know. Feel free to PM me. But I can only send 2 messages per hour so sorry if I'm slow in replying.

more

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 07:19:08 AM »

Very good opinion. if you see dr. Lee it is just marketing and marketing ,Youtube channel is full of advertisement .  Getting a certificate " trained by dr Paley " and a fews picture with dr. Paley , doesn't make you a good LL Surgeon.
beware of this kind of marketing drs.

2020hope

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 08:05:01 AM »

What a great post marathon! A real eye opener.

marathonrunner

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »

Wait wait, let me be clear. I think Dr Lee is a good doctor, no disagreement here. He is competent and I can't say the same for my original doctor. So let me just be clear on that.

Yes they do advertise but that is same with many businesses, I only have experience with him and Dr Singh, so this is something you should be aware of with anything and any doctor. Even if you're buying a condo, buying a car, purchasing anything that costs significant amount of money.

If you come to where I currently live, they advertise like crazy for new condo units, so you really gotta do your own due diligence to figure out which condo projects are good to invest in, which developers are good, how are the condos managed after construction, who are the suppliers for that condo, which area is it in, public transport around the condo, price per sqm compared to other new projects, up coming projects or buildings that can affect your view, all of these factors come into play to make a good investment decision.

That was my message, just learn as much as you can so you know what to expect for your experience at which ever doctor you go to.

Because the doctor isn't the whole experience, theres many other factors to consider. Let's say what if your doctor was great but afterwards you have 0 care (example, just an example) that wouldn't be good right? Example, example, example. Not a real experience of mine.

That was my message. So please don't take this as in any sort of recommendation or non-recommendation, that was not the point of my post. I just wanted to share some information regarding my own personal experience since I got so many messages asking me about it and asking me to be honest with my post. So I just tried thats all.

I am sure there are other people who might be super into Korean culture and Kpop and all that and they may have a different experience than I did. Maybe they went to Lee's and met a super hot Korean girl and got married to her? Lol I dunno..

And do know that it's not only Dr Lee that asks for patients to help them advertise, just browse this forum and you can find all sorts of diaries that only highlight the positive and seem more like an advert than a real diary.

So best of luck to those who are considering LL. Feel free to pm me but I again, only 2 messages per hour, and some of you asked for my personal number.. I'm not at the point of giving that out to total strangers yet.. so I will try to help as much as I can through pm's for now.

marathonrunner

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 11:41:08 AM »

One last update.. as for the aftercare. I should say "they haven't replied yet" I mean it could be the haphazard messaging where it can be instant reply or it takes weeks or months to get a reply. But as of now, no reply yet.

I asked them a couple questions after telling them I lengthened myself and I don't have the funds now to do femur. And so far its been quiet.

All I know is usually when they read the message they will reply.. my latest messages have been read but no reply.. maybe the messages are on vacation in cyberspace lol. Drinking a corona on the beach before coming to my phone.. lol

more

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »

And do know that it's not only Dr Lee that asks for patients to help them advertise, just browse this forum and you can find all sorts of diaries that only highlight the positive and seem more like an advert than a real diary.
Good point

marathonrunner

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 06:42:15 PM »

Yea LL is big business with good margins. So doctors are gonna market anyway they can to get you to spend with them. Whether it’s through YouTube or forums or patient reviews, they want your money with them.

I see Americans staying in America to do the surgery, and Europeans in Europe.

So asia is kinda the battle ground for Asian doctors and Asian money. I know lots of doctors are targeting the Chinese forums and Chinese buyers. Same with The Singapore doctor, same with Lee, after Koreans his next biggest market is the Chinese.

I know personally Chinese people who went to Paley in America cause they got the cash and want The Godfather.

And the Japanese are going to korea because of the proximity and lack of Japanese LL surgeons. So you can guess who Lee targets since they have price sheets in Chinese in Japanese and in English.

But yea LL doctors make a lot of money. I do know the Singapore doctor pockets approx 20k SGD (approx) per surgery (This varies each doctor just using sg doctor as an example). So the more surgeries you do, the more cash flow you got coming in.

Additionally I do believe there are several good doctors performing this surgery. So do your research and figure out what works for you.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 06:07:55 PM »

Thank you marathonrunner for your honest opinions on Lee
 In my opinion, you should've followed doctors order and not equalized your legs without permission. Perhaps you should've declared to him and consistently pushed that you were 100% not going to do Femurs no matter what, then he probably would have gave instructions to equalize your legs.

Regardless, this is proof that doctors surgical skill is cool and all, but the interpersonal communication is just as important. It's unacceptable to yell at a patient. Perhaps he was doing it out of worry for you, but nonetheless it's not okay to do that. Questioning a doctor on a serious issue like misalignment is fair, and it's definitely bad that he did not address your concerns and then ghosted you. It may very well be the Korean/Asian "shut up and respect your elders/authority/superiors without questioning" though, so likely that's probably why.

I do commend you for making an objective opinion on Lee. This opinion is very niche though, as your were in his care to correct an error rather than cosmetic surgery from the start. Who knows, cosmetic patients from the get go of his probably have excellent opinions on him. Valid opinion and definitely changes my opinion on Lee.

Now to your life, how is it going right now? Is the misalignment actually a problem- did you get other opinions from other doctors? Hope life is treating you well. How's the callus formation going
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

marathonrunner

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »

Yea definitely agree. I was there to mainly fix the infection so something like being on IV everyday for 3-4 weeks is not something a regular patient will experience.

And yea, in Korean culture age plays a big role. It’s less like the west where you have CEO’s in their 20’s with older people as employees. So good assessment, I also think it’s a cultural thing there to just be quiet and not question this question that. But I think also it could partly be him not wanting to admit to any potential mistakes, but to be fair that’s with most doctors. The more you ask, the more you might uncover, especially since my case was more complicated.

Like after the final surgery, he showed me the front view, but I asked about the lateral view to see how the alignment was, and I wanted to ask all these questions because it didn’t look straight to me, but at the same time I didn’t want to make him angry again or make him think I was accusing him of making a mistake or something, so instead of pressing him further with questions, I just posted here instead to see if anyone had any similar alignment and how it worked out for them. I don’t know what the best thing to do in those situations so I just thanked him and left it at that. 

The misalignment.. coincidentally I just sent the xray in my old post to another doctor who’s active here on the forum to get their take on it. So let’s see what he says about the alignment. Post below.

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64813.0

My main problems now are related to my left knee and stiffness in my calf muscles. For calf muscles at 4cm it was fine, at 5.2 it was a bit stiff but I was able to adjust quite quickly, but at 5.8 personally I’m still adjusting now. I think since I started at 160cm, maybe 5.8 was getting close to my personal limit. I was never that flexible to begin with.

But my left knee.. it’s stiff and has some pain. Normal walking is ok, but anything else like walking down stairs, bending down, squatting, and even cycling hurts my left knee.

I don’t know what is causing it, the IM nail insertion point? the screws in the leg? the misalignment? I don’t really know.. I just know that the end result is a stiff/painful left knee which I’m hoping will go away as the body heals. (Last surgery on left leg early feb) So around 6 months now.. not sure how much more it will improve.

I will post some photos later of callus growth. That’s one thing that was a positive surprise. The more I walked and put pressure on my legs, the better the bone growth so I think maybe by mid sept it should be pretty much complete or really close to it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:15:51 PM by marathonrunner »

uclqlic

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 08:47:33 AM »

thank you for your information about Dr. Lee. Potential patient here.

marathonrunner

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 11:47:54 AM »

Cool pm me if you have further questions

ididUrMIM

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2020, 01:06:07 PM »

Very good opinion. if you see dr. Lee it is just marketing and marketing ,Youtube channel is full of advertisement .  Getting a certificate " trained by dr Paley " and a fews picture with dr. Paley , doesn't make you a good LL Surgeon.
beware of this kind of marketing drs.

Every plastic surgeon and LL surgeons do some kind of marketing, it’s the only way to bring in traffic in this day and age, we cannot really blame them for that. This is interesting because taking Turkey for example, there is a controversial post by a Turkish LL patient coordinator that was given heat for apparent marketing but it is quite normal in Turkey and the more east you go, hell, the plastic surgeons have dedicated instagrams with 100K+ followers.

marathonrunner

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 10:14:40 AM »

yea.. doctors know the power of social media, especially in Asia, and especially in Korea (capital cosmetic surgery of the world).

So I wouldn't be surprised if more and more doctors start their own insta / youtube / etc accounts.

Lol maybe even tiktok one day.. I mean.. I've seen chiropractors on tiktok already.. nothing is stopping others from doing the same.

AnotherShorty

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 06:06:58 PM »

Hi MR,

How is your progress bud ?

Regards
We need advancements in LL, and I need money, time, strength and opportunity !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up