Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs w/ Stryde - Dr. Mahboubian, Nov 2019  (Read 2818 times)

JsElysianEagle

Femurs w/ Stryde - Dr. Mahboubian, Nov 2019
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:11:54 AM »

Hi all,

So I finally took the plunge and had my femur CLL surgery with Stryde done last week, Nov 14th with Dr M. I've been a lurker/poster of this forum for some time now, as I prepared for the CLL process. I have to give a HUGE thanks to all the posters on here, especially the ones that put up detailed diaries of their journies: LAGrowin, InFullStryde, Fallen774, PurushRottam, Lalbadshah, VerticalPush, BishopCheck, Movie etc. (sorry if I'm forgetting anyone!).

Extra special thanks to LAGrowin' who actually met me in person a few months ago and helped me get over my initial anxieties/concerns about recovery post-surgery. We have been in touch regularly since last week when I had my procedure done and it's been a massive help!

Stats
5'5.5" (5 feet 5-and-a-half inches), mid-30s, slim/athletic build, about 150 lbs. I've been a regular gym goer for many years, putting in about 3-5 workouts week after week. About 45 days before surgery, when bending I could get my fingertips to barely within 3-4 inches of my toes. Intense stretching in the days leading up to the surgery made me get to a stage wherein I was able to touch my toes (albeit barely) the day before the operation. Hoping this stands me in good stead in the months ahead, but we'll see!

Goal
I want to get to the 6.5 cm mark first, and then, depending on how I feel at that point, I'll decide how much further I can/want to push. I intend to stop at around the 7.5 cm mark as an upper limit.

Why CLL? And why now, as opposed to sooner/later?
Mainly because I felt I had developed my inner personality nicely and the extra few inches would round me out. I'm based in the US (LA to be specific), and while we're not the tallest nation on the planet 5'5" is still noticeably below average here. Dating wise I've done alright given my physical stature, although I definitely noticed over the years how my taller friends had to put in less work for the same or greater success with women. I should add here that I have no delusions about an extra few inches miraculously and instantly improving anything in my life, but my view is that we should strive to improve ourselves incrementally in all aspects of our lives, and leave the rest be...

Some other factors that contributed:
1) A few months ago I finally completed my Master's degree, so had more time now to take on this surgery
2) I have a fully remote job for now, which is ideal - I can take a few weeks off post-surgery and then return to work from home. In fact the very next day after surgery, while still at the hospital, I was communicating about work-related stuff with my colleagues and the following week I've been able to work at 50% capacity already. I plan to return to work full time starting next week.
3) I'm in a much better financial position now to actually afford a caretaker, PT, etc. This simply would not have been possible in my 20s and I couldn't (and didn't want to) rely on my parents for financing, co-signing a loan etc etc.
4) Ideally I would've had this done in my early 20s, like some of the lucky younger guys here, but that just wasn't in the cards for me. I'm getting up there in years and want to cross things off my bucket list before I finally settle down and start a family.

By the way, for those with full-time in-office jobs contemplating CLL surgery, I would wholeheartedly echo InFullStryde's view that it will probably be at minimum 3-4 weeks before you can be sufficiently mobile to actually go into the office. But you'd have to lug in your lengthening device because of the scheduled lengthening sessions, and I'm not sure how you'd evade notice with it.

Why Dr. M?
This was easy - he's local to me, has significant experience with this surgery, I've personally met two of his patients and the cost was better than all the other US based CLL doctors I'm aware of. (No offense to any of my international readers here but personally, I would never gamble with my health by having such a serious operation done anywhere outside a first world country with strictly enforced medical malpractice laws, insurance coverage etc. Point being - I definitely wanted this surgery done in the US and nowhere else.)

I already mentioned having met LAGrowin' - but many years ago (back in the old forum days), I was able to meet with a gentleman who had this surgery done with the Precise nail at the age of 49! Yes, he was 49 years old when he had this done and his starting height was the same as mine. Unfortunately he moved to another state and I lost touch with him, but at the time it showed me that as tough as this process is, it's still doable with the right mindset.

Financing the Surgery:
I've had more than enough cash saved up to pay for it all upfront, but still opted to take a loan in the event the process took more time or some other emergency requiring cash reserves came up.

Support Structure:
I am staying with my family. I currently have a caretaker was well since I don't want to burden them with running around after me - this individual has been spending about 10 hrs/day with me since I got home from the hospital. Additionally, I have a physical therapist (the same one that worked with Fallen774 for a bit, in fact!) that comes in every day.

Day of Surgery
Not much to report here that hasn't already been described thoroughly in the diaries of LAGrowin, InFullStryde, etc. I got there around 5:30 am.   After a minor delay related to cleaning some necessary equipment, I was wheeled in to the surgery room. I was joking and laughing with the nurses and other medical staff when I was placed on the operating table and then boom! next thing I know I'm waking up in the short stay recovery area. Shortly thereafter I was wheeled into my own room.

The pain was noticeable and constant, but when motionless in bed, it was never more than about a 3-4 or so. I was given a steady dose of Norco every 4 hours but no other painkillers, with the exception of Dilautid on some occasions on my final day at the hospital. I found out later that this is a much weaker painkiller than those given to patients of Dr D, for instance. (VerticalPush and Lalbadshah's diaries suggest that Dr. D prescribes Oxy and Morphine during this stage).

There was 1 PT session attempted that day itself, which was extremely hard. Moving my legs even a little bit was super painful and I could barely stand up on my own. I found out later that this particular step would have been easier if I had learned to completely relax my legs when someone was attempting to move them. I was instead tensing up and resisting the movement, which was exacerbating the pain significantly.

Day 2
PT tried to come in in the afternoon and I had to turn them away - pain when moving my legs was too much :-/ Later that day they tried again. This time they were able to get me off the bed and moving a bit. Other details - not much to report, just stayed in bed mostly, texted with friends/colleagues, and kept passing in and out of sleep. Pain level with steady Norcos was about 3-4, when laying still in bed.

At some point during this day the catheter was removed - I was a bit nervous, anticipating that it would be painful but as others have described in their diaries, it's more a weird feeling than a painful one. I had no issues peeing on my own soon after, for which I'm thankful.

The Norcos did make me constipated, and it wasn't until day 4 post op that I was able to finally relieve myself with the aid of a bedpan.

Day 3 - discharge from the hospital
Final day at the hospital. I was still in pain when trying to move and even asked Dr. M if I could extend my stay at the hospital, lol. He said pain just isn't enough of a reason this would be allowed :-/ He also refused to prescribe stronger painkillers since he was concerned I'd build up too much tolerance for it making them less effective later, and this was definitely wise. As of this writing I consume about 0.5-1.5 Norcos a day and I'm doing ok. I do supplement now and then with Advil, but I'm guessing that as the lengthening continues I might have to up this dose a bit.

Day 4 - until now
Every day has been getting gradually better, but progress has been slow. I am currently at the stage where I can walk around the house with my walker (slowly, taking small steps) and use the bathroom all on my own. I stretch and strengthen about 2 hours a day and that seems to be helping.

Reading the diaries of some other CLL patients, I feel the pace of progress can vary considerably across individuals - some reported being able to walk and use the bathroom the next day after surgery, while I didn't get to that stage until about 6-7 days post-op.

I picked up the lengthening device yesterday and have put in a few sessions already. Thankfully no (extra) pain to report - keeping fingers crossed that it stays that way in the days ahead!

Some useful tools/accessories I've been using:
Some of these were actually mentioned by InFullStryde in his diary, but I'm posting them again here for those preparing for their surgery coming up:

Massage gun: (don't go too intense with these when using, be careful):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4B6VY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reacher/grabber:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O47ILVA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Portable bidet if you don't already have one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K21X113/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was useful the few days I was using a bedpan. Luckily now I can use the restroom on my own so this is not as necessary, but might still come in handy if I go camping or traveling somewhere soon!

Toilet seat cushion:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CBA0JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes sitting on the toilet longer much more easier.

Arbonne pain relieving gel:
https://www.arbonne.com/Pws/homeoffice/store/AMUS/product/Herbal-Muscle-Massage-Pain-Relieving-Gel-2941,1556,272.aspx

This was recommended to me by LAGrowin' and it's been amazing. It heats up the area it's massaged into and provides solid relief.

I also have access to THC/CBD based products for pain relief, and I've used these a few times over the past few days as well, in very small doses.

Next up:
I'll try to keep this diary updated with my progress as much as possible, and be available for questions in this thread and also via PM! I check the forum quite regularly.

Cheers!

BoneStretching

Re: Femurs w/ Stryde - Dr. Mahboubian, Nov 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 03:25:22 AM »

I am so happy for you  Man.

I and the rest of your fellow LLers will help you along the way.

I look forward to your updates - God speed!

E Z

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 04:52:10 AM »

Wishing you the best of luck my friend! Seems like your in good spirits and motivated! Keep it up!

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 06:57:14 AM »

Thanks @BoneStretching and @EZ for the good wishes!

Some additional things I forgot to mention in my initial post:

I've rented a hospital bed with adjustable controls for about a month and it was a wise decision indeed. Being able to adjust it precisely to keep my legs raised has been a big help. Additionally, when getting off of it onto the wheelchair, I can simply raise the entire bed to a height that makes it much easier for me to grab on to the walker and pull myself up to the standing position.

More updates coming soon(ish). Thanks all!

BoneStretching

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »

I cant tell you how many times I told my self I wish I had a hospital bed, while laying on my back with duck ass.. (so uncomfortable). If you can foot the bill, you may want to keep that for a few more months.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 07:19:55 AM »

I cant tell you how many times I told my self I wish I had a hospital bed, while laying on my back with duck ass.. (so uncomfortable). If you can foot the bill, you may want to keep that for a few more months.

Yeah, actually truth be told, it wasn't my idea. The initial plan was for me to go to an Extended Stay America after being discharged from the hospital and stay there in a disabled room with my caretaker. On the day of discharge, my dad suggested we instead rent a hospital bed - the idea hadn't even occurred to me but I'm thankful that a) my dad suggested it, b) we were able to secure a hospital bed on a Saturday evening, just in the knick of time since most of the places doing this were already closed or almost-closed for the day.

The rental itself is not that expensive, actually - however you do incur a one-time cost of $184 (IIRC) for having them install it for you in your home.

I would highly, highly recommend it to anyone contemplating this surgery, it makes sleeping a good bit easier and has other benefits as mentioned in my previous post as well.

Movie

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »

Yooooo Congrats bro! you actually did it haha! thanks for the shout out by the way, hoping you'll have a great journey bro
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

BoneStretching

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 06:42:28 PM »

Yea for sure JS - I would keep that bed around for 3 months (based on my experience). Other wise , you are twisting, turning, folding blankets, placing pillows in all different positions to find the right position. That was a great idea, especially if you had the room.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 09:58:35 PM »

@Movie - thanks for the wishes bro!

Woke up today with slightly more pain (but still very manageable) in my legs than before, most likely due to the lengthening process that I've started in earnest. I popped 1 Norco an hour before my PT got here and it's been helping, pain is back down to about a 2 now. I keep myself busy on my computer or reading or something, and I barely notice the pain when I do this which is nice.

My PT has been amazing and has worked with prior CLL patients as well. Anyone in the LA area that's looking for a PT - let me know and I can provide you the contact details. My caretaker has also been an amazing help. Evenings we basically spend another hour or so redoing a bunch a PT exercises and I've noticed some increasing strength already - minor but still something.

That's it for today - thanks all for reading. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have them.

PAGrb490

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 02:10:37 AM »

Congrats !!!i have PMed you for the PT/caretaker contacts and also curious where the host picks bed can be rented out from

What a great beginning of your journey !!so excited for you

BoneStretching

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 02:57:53 AM »

JS, just to throw it out.

Have your daily sanity schedule down pat.

Ex:

wake up warm up - splash face with water, brush teeth etc...
Stretch - Lengthen
Coffee go to PC - work, plan out your post LL vision of your life
PT breaks in between
meditation, tv show.
Stretch / lengthen / bed time.. what ever your routine is.

Fill every moment of your day.. even plan your relaxation and meditation where you do nothing but relax, and be at peace.

Just a pointer to get through these 3 months. They go by fast.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »

Hey JsElysianEagle, I hope you are well.

You mentioned in your OP that LL can be doable if one has the right mindset. What exactly did mean with that?

Did you refer to being able to stick through the difficult times, do enough PT and and stay mentally sane, so to speak, until the worst is over? Or that one should not expect that being a couple of inches taller will magically cure all problems and difficulties in life? Or that one should have realistic expectations and accept that they might be able to lengthen less than they expect?

Cheers.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Dreamer57

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 04:44:43 AM »

Hey JsElysianEagle, I hope you are well.

You mentioned in your OP that LL can be doable if one has the right mindset. What exactly did mean with that?

Did you refer to being able to stick through the difficult times, do enough PT and and stay mentally sane, so to speak, until the worst is over? Or that one should not expect that being a couple of inches taller will magically cure all problems and difficulties in life? Or that one should have realistic expectations and accept that they might be able to lengthen less than they expect?

Cheers.

Same question....
Btw best of luck for your journey.

BoneStretching

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 08:13:05 AM »

JS Honestly i couldn't use my walker until about 2 weeks later. I was rollin in a wheel chair and ploppin my self on toilets etc, chairs, etc.

So id say that pretty good if you are making baby steps on a walker on day 4.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 11:00:47 PM »

Sorry for the delayed update! Things are going ok so far. I'm a few days away from hitting the 1 inch mark, taking it day by day. Unfortunately spending so much time sitting or in bed caused a big boil to develop on my right buttock, which has been quite painful. It's finally in remission so I can actually sit and sleep normally now, but I definitely lost a few nights sleep to that damn boil, lol. I couldn't sleep on my side for more than a few minutes, but trying to find a position that wouldn't hurt the boil was impossible. Just glad it's almost gone now.

Other news - mobility is OK, I've noticed my legs are starting to get super stiff in the mornings and the inside of my left knee gets quite painful when I wake up. I have to apply ice to it for a good thirty minutes or so before the pain subsides and goes away.

I've been doing PT regularly and her massages and stretching has been a great help. In the evenings I do more stretching with my caretaker.

Sleep - not bad, averaging about 6-7 hours a night (not counting the few nights I couldn't sleep due to the boil).

This Sunday we'll try to get me on crutches. Hoping the transition is smooth and I can move around even more with them.

@BoneStretching - thanks for your advice, it's solid and I'll definitely try to stick to a routine.

@IwannaBeTaller - the answers to all three of your questions are "yes". Yes, you absolutely must be prepared to deal with pain (not excruciating as such, but definitely quite often and in different parts of your legs). Also your mobility is significantly reduced for at least 3-4 weeks so you have to be OK with that.

Yes also to understanding that adding a few inches won't solve 100% of your problems magically.

And finally, yes, you might have to adjust your expectations with regard to how much you can lengthen. You definitely want to push as much as possible, but weigh the pros against the cons. Everyone is built differently - people have different levels of pain tolerance, for some lengthening was rarely painful, while for others every few millimeters is a battle. And of course you have to listen to your body - there is no point in risking long term damage for just a centimeter or two more.

Thanks everyone for checkin in! I'll post the next update this weekend.

Time4LL

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 02:33:16 AM »

Hey JsElysianEagle,
Can you explain to me how you got a loan? Who did you go through? What interest rate did you get? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »

Hey JsElysianEagle,
Can you explain to me how you got a loan? Who did you go through? What interest rate did you get? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

I got a loan through SoFi. Interest rate was about 10% or so

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »

Thanks for the response. All the best for the next weeks, JsElysianEagle.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Time4LL

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 01:05:50 AM »

Thanks for the information! I will have to look into that.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2019, 02:47:24 AM »

The last few mornings have been rough. I'm right at the 1 inch mark and my left knee gets super stiff in the mornings, and it takes me a good 30-45 minutes before I can slowly bend it to 90 degrees and get off the bed. Pain shoots up to around 6-7 at this point as I slowly try to bend the left leg. Fortunately once I'm able to bend it the pain drops and the rest of the day goes by nicely, max pain is about a 2ish.

My quads are nice and loose, I can bend both knees almost to the point where my foot touches my butt. I guess it's the hamstrings I need to focus on stretching now. Been working with my PT on this and her massages are also helping.

Anyway, just gotta keep marching...

BoneStretching

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2019, 04:07:36 AM »

Yea man, the mornings were "Hell" for me...

Settled down around month 2.  Mind you I pushed to the full 8cm, so no need to worry.

Build that routine that gets you going thats key.

Re: Quads thats great news. My advice is continue to stretch them as IF they were still tight. when you hit the 2 inch mark, this is when everything begins to really tighten up, and you are like "DAYUM, what in sam hill wilson  is happenin here!"... So keep stretching them like heck, you will be thankful, and you will dodge the APT if you do.

Keep going you good.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2019, 04:33:28 AM »

@BoneStretching - do you mean to say that after two months of lengthening the morning knee issues settled down? That’s encouraging!

Yeah I’m goin to stretch as much as possible. Sending you a PM now

BoneStretching

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2019, 05:56:24 AM »

Yea, you will be over all the initial surgical pain, and dealing with new pain due tightness and weakness, which is more manageable in my opinion.

But stretch those quads like heck, you will need them in once you hit the 2 inch mark.

Nestor

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »

@Js I'm just a little bit of ahead of you, I hit 3cm yesterday. Like yourself my quads are flexible, I stretched them like crazy before the surgery. My hamstrings don't feel too bad yet but I'd say they'll soon tighten up. The biggest prob for me by far is the sides of my legs, I'm guessing this is due to the IT bands being cut, they're crazy tight and really affect how I walk.

@Bonestretching So at around 2 months the legs are healed from the surgical trauma? Man I hope you're right, it would be great just to be able to focus on regular stretching without feeling random stabbing pains in my hips or legs with the slightest wrong movement.

BoneStretching

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2019, 07:43:52 PM »

Yea guys, once you hit that 8 week mark, the surgical pains will wear down, but then you will be dealing with tight legs, and weak new muscle, and perhaps residual pain from surgery (but MUCH MUCH lighter). Its a different kind of pain as I mentioned.

My advice team:

1. Stretch those quads like a @#$@ (even if they are loose now). This will save you from pelvic tilt, which is a MUG.
2. Stretch those Hammys, keep it going strong,
3. AND walk, and incrementally begin to do strength training. Even if they are baby squats, etc etc (PT should help you with this). Reason being, you are growing new muscle, so if you can strengthen the current AND NEW muscles now, your recovery will be MUCH MUCH quicker.

God speed guys.. all you face now is 100% NORMAL KEEP GOING STRONG.

JsElysianEagle

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 05:10:59 AM »

Guys, my knees have started to get tight. Any advice?

I’m stretching about 3 times a day, mainly my quads, hams and adductors.

Pages: [1]   Go Up