Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Work after LL  (Read 1618 times)

Jamule

• Visitor
Work after LL
« on: December 29, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »

Hello Guys,

Im new to this Forum and want to know when you guys, who already did LL where able to return to work.
I‘m planning to do 6cm Femur lengthening with the Betzbone which is full weightbearing. I already had consultation with Dr.Betz in Germany. He told me it’s possible to return to work in a Office or working where u don’t need to handle heavy things or walking long distances is able already after 2 or 3 weeks ( after surgery)

What do you think about this? Is it realistic or does he only want to sell his nail to me ?

I appreciate your answers Guys.

Jamule

• Visitor
Re: Work after LL
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 11:38:12 PM »

Up :)

inchesmatter

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 08:05:19 AM »

I did 7.5cm with the BetzBone this year and didn’t feel comfortable enough to work until about three months after surgery because it’s hard to sleep and there is a lot of discomfort for months. Sitting in a chair for more than a few minutes was nearly impossible.

FormerKidd

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 05:09:35 PM »

I can't speak to Betzbone specifically, but while it is possible to return to work that early, it's very difficult given the pain and other problems.  If you can work from home part-time during that phase, perhaps?

jfk

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »

2-3 weeks not realistic imo. Directly after lengthening probably possible. Am a current Betz patient...

Jamule

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 03:16:04 AM »

First i want to thank you for your answers :).

I can't speak to Betzbone specifically, but while it is possible to return to work that early, it's very difficult given the pain and other problems.  If you can work from home part-time during that phase, perhaps?
No sadly i cant work from home

2-3 weeks not realistic imo. Directly after lengthening probably possible. Am a current Betz patient...
Ok may i ask you how old are you ? what do you think about 5-6 weeks does it get harder during lengthening. Dr.Betz also told me about some patients which never used crutches etc at home. Only for going outside, that other ppl take care while see u walking with the crutches.

I only can get off from work for 5-6 weeks. Do you think as a 26 years old man i can handle this? I dont need to do hard work and walking long distances. But i need to drive car to get to my workplace

Any opinions ? :)

Jamule

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 03:16:38 AM »

Ok may i ask you how old are you ? what do you think about 5-6 weeks does it get harder during lengthening. Dr.Betz also told me about some patients which never used crutches etc at home. Only for going outside, that other ppl take care while see u walking with the crutches.

I only can get off from work for 5-6 weeks. Do you think as a 26 years old man i can handle this? I dont need to do hard work and walking long distances. But i need to  drive car to get to my workplace.

jfk

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 08:28:15 AM »

I only can get off from work for 5-6 weeks. Do you think as a 26 years old man i can handle this? I dont need to do hard work and walking long distances. But i need to drive car to get to my workplace

I am 33 years old.

1. Sleep

Biggest issue for me was/is that I just can not get enough sleep at night. It is like until 2 am no sleep at all, after that 1 hour sleep, then awake for two/three hours then 2 hours sleep again, awake 1 hour, sleep 2 hours. Dont forget that you are also in pain, this is very exhausting, you are very busy handling pain and amnesia. I can not even work from home because it is very hard to concentrate. Maybe you have a better experience if you just lengthen 0.5 mm a day. That could reduce these problems dramatically.

2. Pain

I can not put my legs down for more than a couple of minutes until pain kicks in. So if you want to work you need to put your legs up all the time when working or to be standing. Standing would probably work for first 2-3 cm. After that standing for more than a couple of minutes is exhausting. After 3 cm standing a couple of minutes and/or walking just 5 meters is very very exhausting.

3. Stretching

You need time to stretch. A full working day consumes a lot of time. But probably ok if you stretch in the evening.

4. Clicking

Clicking is a issue until you reach about 5 cm. It took me 45 minutes to 1,5 hour to do it. That would also consume a lot of your time evenings.

What if you take off work 3-4 weeks and then say you had an accident and can not come back to work for a couple of months. This is what I did. Still get my loan every month.

Other than that you can try to go ahead with your initial plan but be ready for a super exhausting time but not impossible. I think you are underestimating this journey Bro...

Siegfried

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »

@jfk

1. How much have you lengthened until now. When will you be done?

2. Why is clicking only an issue until the  5cm mark?

I am 33 years old.

1. Sleep

Biggest issue for me was/is that I just can not get enough sleep at night. It is like until 2 am no sleep at all, after that 1 hour sleep, then awake for two/three hours then 2 hours sleep again, awake 1 hour, sleep 2 hours. Dont forget that you are also in pain, this is very exhausting, you are very busy handling pain and amnesia. I can not even work from home because it is very hard to concentrate. Maybe you have a better experience if you just lengthen 0.5 mm a day. That could reduce these problems dramatically.

2. Pain

I can not put my legs down for more than a couple of minutes until pain kicks in. So if you want to work you need to put your legs up all the time when working or to be standing. Standing would probably work for first 2-3 cm. After that standing for more than a couple of minutes is exhausting. After 3 cm standing a couple of minutes and/or walking just 5 meters is very very exhausting.

3. Stretching

You need time to stretch. A full working day consumes a lot of time. But probably ok if you stretch in the evening.

4. Clicking

Clicking is a issue until you reach about 5 cm. It took me 45 minutes to 1,5 hour to do it. That would also consume a lot of your time evenings.

What if you take off work 3-4 weeks and then say you had an accident and can not come back to work for a couple of months. This is what I did. Still get my loan every month.

Other than that you can try to go ahead with your initial plan but be ready for a super exhausting time but not impossible. I think you are underestimating this journey Bro...
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

jfk

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 11:54:11 PM »

@jfk

1. How much have you lengthened until now. When will you be done?

2. Why is clicking only an issue until the  5cm mark?

I am at 8 cm right now. My plan is to go another 2 weeks to finish at 9.5 cm

After about 5 cm (for me) I did not have to turn my legs so much anymore to get the clicking sound. Now at 8 cm it is even easier to get the click. I guess the nail is getting more loose with more centimeters...

inchesmatter

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »

jfk - I, too, noticed that clicking gets much, much easier with time. It became impossible to click a few weeks after surgery, with much pain, but then all of a sudden it became easy, and I had to be careful not to click accidentally. The pain early on was awful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up