Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confusion/annoyance at some of the attitudes here  (Read 1587 times)

0live

• Visitor
Confusion/annoyance at some of the attitudes here
« on: May 01, 2020, 12:11:41 AM »

Hello! I accidentally came across this forum a year or so ago and a lot of the things I see here bother me quite a bit (perhaps irrationally so). I had limb lengthening done twice as a child on one of my legs and it was one of the worst things I’ve ever been through. A lot of my childhood was kind of ruined, I have issues with near constant pain and I’m going to continue having issues with my leg for the rest of my life. Because of that it bothers me quite a bit when I see people wanting to get CLL done since I honesty do not get your reasons for it. Like you’re putting yourself through unnecessary risk just to be a bit taller? It feels like a lot of you could do with therapy instead to be honest. This may come across as being quite aggressive and sorry if it does but it just bothers me a bit when I see people jumping at the chance to go through what was an awful time for me

I do realize the situations aren’t completely comparable and most people will have an easier time than I did since you’re staring off with legs that work fine and the technology is more advanced now but this forum just confuses me greatly. Maybe it’s because I’m not in your situation but some of the posts here just seem very shallow

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
Re: Confusion/annoyance at some of the attitudes here
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 01:01:46 AM »

Height neurosis sometimes cannot be cured with therapy. TheAlchemist, a user on this forum, tried therapy for years and still retained his height neurosis. You'd actually be surprised how much a few inches makes in a person's lives. Height neurosis is a body dysmorphic disorder, so obviously it's not going to appear rational. People on this forum suffer because they feel they have short stature and lives have definitely changed because of this surgery. If you wanted a rhinoplasty because you had a hump on your nose, I don't judge. That hump isn't really doing much to you, so it's just a complex and people get insecure about certain parts of their body, and some decide to change it with surgery. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if you're asking, "this is so dangerous, oh my god why suffer so much for a few inches."

I guess my answer would be, if people don't get the surgery, they still suffer. They have a different kind of pain. A pain that lives with them for the rest of their life. Whether it's rational or irrational (mostly the latter), it doesn't really matter. LL is a risk that a desperate person will take to overcome their height neurosis. I don't think anyone doubts the craziness and risks of cutting your healthy legs in half for medically no reason- but that's a risk that's a desperate neurotic person will take because of how much height affects their life. There are people in their 40s and 50s who still have this mental condition and end up doing the surgery at that age. It probably does go away with time for some people, others it stays with them forever. But that's not really relevant.

For height neurosis people, we are willing to go through this procedure because of how much we are fked in our thinking because of our height. Yeah, we could be confident, we could succeed in life, we could have great partners and family, but a feeling of "defect" is just there. Many times it's not rational, like I've said already. There's no reason we should feel like "less" of a human because of our traits. But we do. And LL is a procedure that can fix that void for some people- maybe not for others. Whether you agree with it or not, the option of LL has given thousands of people the ability to live a normal life free of a mental neurosis- I think it's a pretty beautiful invention no matter how barbaric an operation it is- it can and HAS helped thousands of lives (just talking about cosmetic LL here, obviously LL is used for more than this as well).

Until you've lived it (by "it" i mean having height dysmorphia/neurosis), you probably wouldn't understand it. It's a normal reaction to view LL as crazy for the general public- and it's also why we gather on this forum to talk about this life changing procedure without judgement.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

zoooz

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »

I'm interested in hearing more about your experience. Which segment did you have lengthened and what method was used? What kind of issues have you been having with your leg? How many cm did you lengthen?

Your post could make a much greater impact if you could help people here understand what exactly it is that you're cautioning against. We all know LL carries risks, however it's unclear how real those risks are, whether everyone has issues or just those who lengthen excessive amounts, how life might look like after an ideal recovery. Adding details would give weight to your message and help us understand the negative sides to this choice.

soitchi

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 03:53:12 AM »

I have issues with near constant pain and I’m going to continue having issues with my leg for the rest of my life. Because of that it bothers me quite a bit when I see people wanting to get CLL done since I honesty do not get your reasons for it.
This has crossed my mind and I definitely do not believe posters saying they are no longer in pain and all that shít.

Knowing their desperate and weak mental states even after CLL (especially those want to/actually try to hide that they did CLL) they'll convince themselves nothing is wrong, everything turned out right and whatever to cope.

Really I don't even think it's body dysmorphia in most cases, especially in this forum, dudes here just have want a height that matches their ego, just look at how the posters that feel entitled to being taller.
rip edwardv6

slayer of the ll clown

0live

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 03:54:28 AM »

Height neurosis sometimes cannot be cured with therapy. TheAlchemist, a user on this forum, tried therapy for years and still retained his height neurosis. You'd actually be surprised how much a few inches makes in a person's lives. Height neurosis is a body dysmorphic disorder, so obviously it's not going to appear rational. People on this forum suffer because they feel they have short stature and lives have definitely changed because of this surgery. If you wanted a rhinoplasty because you had a hump on your nose, I don't judge. That hump isn't really doing much to you, so it's just a complex and people get insecure about certain parts of their body, and some decide to change it with surgery. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if you're asking, "this is so dangerous, oh my god why suffer so much for a few inches."

I guess my answer would be, if people don't get the surgery, they still suffer. They have a different kind of pain. A pain that lives with them for the rest of their life. Whether it's rational or irrational (mostly the latter), it doesn't really matter. LL is a risk that a desperate person will take to overcome their height neurosis. I don't think anyone doubts the craziness and risks of cutting your healthy legs in half for medically no reason- but that's a risk that's a desperate neurotic person will take because of how much height affects their life. There are people in their 40s and 50s who still have this mental condition and end up doing the surgery at that age. It probably does go away with time for some people, others it stays with them forever. But that's not really relevant.

For height neurosis people, we are willing to go through this procedure because of how much we are fked in our thinking because of our height. Yeah, we could be confident, we could succeed in life, we could have great partners and family, but a feeling of "defect" is just there. Many times it's not rational, like I've said already. There's no reason we should feel like "less" of a human because of our traits. But we do. And LL is a procedure that can fix that void for some people- maybe not for others. Whether you agree with it or not, the option of LL has given thousands of people the ability to live a normal life free of a mental neurosis- I think it's a pretty beautiful invention no matter how barbaric an operation it is- it can and HAS helped thousands of lives (just talking about cosmetic LL here, obviously LL is used for more than this as well).

Until you've lived it (by "it" i mean having height dysmorphia/neurosis), you probably wouldn't understand it. It's a normal reaction to view LL as crazy for the general public- and it's also why we gather on this forum to talk about this life changing procedure without judgement.

Thank you for your reply! That was quite helpful to read actually! Mental health is very important and I do realise being unhappy with your appearance would have an affect on someone. It is unfortunate that anyone here is going through that.

I don't think I would ever be able to fully understand why people would want to go through this surgery still but that's mainly just because it really doesn't seem worth risking your (physical) health. I would absolutely love to have two healthy legs and not have to plan ahead every day on whether I'm able to do a physical activity or not but unfortunately can't. I do realise though that for people that are healthy the surgery has smaller risks so people can end up being perfectly fine at the end (and I do hope that anyone here that does have it makes a full recovery).

0live

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 04:04:09 AM »

I'm interested in hearing more about your experience. Which segment did you have lengthened and what method was used? What kind of issues have you been having with your leg? How many cm did you lengthen?

Your post could make a much greater impact if you could help people here understand what exactly it is that you're cautioning against. We all know LL carries risks, however it's unclear how real those risks are, whether everyone has issues or just those who lengthen excessive amounts, how life might look like after an ideal recovery. Adding details would give weight to your message and help us understand the negative sides to this choice.

I had my fibula lengthened twice and femur lengthened once. Both with external frames (I think the frame on my fibula is called an Ilizarov frame and I'm not sure the name for the one on my femur. It ran along the side of your leg anyway). 12cm was lengthened in total but I'm not sure the amount on each segment since I was 6 and 11 years old when I had the surgeries done.

I was recently informed by a doctor that there's still a 2cm discrepancy between both my legs despite my growth plates being fused early on my good leg so that could be part of the reason for issues I've had. I've also had my knee and foot reconstructed as well as a fair few other minor surgeries so they probably also contribute to issues I have with pain. My main issues are with my knee being sore most the time and my ankle hurting. I'm still working on building strength in my muscles in my leg so there's a chance that will help to an extent but I've been told by multiple doctors there's no guarantee I'll ever be pain free.

I think part of the reason I'd also be cautioning against it is because I know I had quite a good recovery compared to lots of kids there. There wasn't any massive complications while I was lengthening my leg and I know people who have had to fuse their knee (that may not be the right word) so that it wouldn't bend anymore to try and solve issues. People with the same condition as me will obviously have more complications than someone perfectly healthy, I just wouldn't want to risk my health for the sake of being a bit taller. Adding a lift to the bottom of your shoe seems far easier (although it won't make you as tall as having this surgery done). I had lifts on the bottom of my shoe that were a few cm tall and they were rarely noticed by people (until they were about 5cm tall I'd guess).

0live

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 04:22:01 AM »

This has crossed my mind and I definitely do not believe posters saying they are no longer in pain and all that shít.

Knowing their desperate and weak mental states even after CLL (especially those want to/actually try to hide that they did CLL) they'll convince themselves nothing is wrong, everything turned out right and whatever to cope.

Really I don't even think it's body dysmorphia in most cases, especially in this forum, dudes here just have want a height that matches their ego, just look at how the posters that feel entitled to being taller.

I mean I do think it's possible to be pain free after the surgery. I just find it a bit upsetting that people would be willing to risk that since it does have a large impact on your life.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 05:51:11 AM »

Thank you for your reply! That was quite helpful to read actually! Mental health is very important and I do realise being unhappy with your appearance would have an affect on someone. It is unfortunate that anyone here is going through that.

I don't think I would ever be able to fully understand why people would want to go through this surgery still but that's mainly just because it really doesn't seem worth risking your (physical) health. I would absolutely love to have two healthy legs and not have to plan ahead every day on whether I'm able to do a physical activity or not but unfortunately can't. I do realise though that for people that are healthy the surgery has smaller risks so people can end up being perfectly fine at the end (and I do hope that anyone here that does have it makes a full recovery).

As a personal anecdote, I also completely dismissed of LL for my short stature- until I discovered Stryde, an internal nail that allows full leg weight bearing as soon as 3 weeks post surgery. I would never consider externals. I think as time passes and the technology improves for recovery, I think more and more people will take a serious look at CLL as an option, rather than acceptance. Im only one case though, tons of people would still be willing to use externals and more difficult methods to LL.

Also I haven't done LL either so I don't know if I would own up to my words when the time comes haha.

I think the main reason why people go through this risky procedure, is because the benefits are worth more to them than the risks. They probably feel so sad with their height that the collective pain of a lifetimes worth of being short is much greater than the short term pain and complications(maybe long term sometimes) of LL.

They will take that gamble of betting their legs on the line

User requested self-ban.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 06:00:45 AM »

I do get where you're coming from. I do think some people want to be chads or whatnot, and many have beta personalities that likely is the root of their problems rather than their height...

But do bear in mind that there are quite a few people who are pretty darn short and just simply want to be average or not feel like their height makes them stand out, I am one of them. I am 5th percentile height (5'4-5'5) in my country and I view myself as less of a person, obviously un rationally. I definitely do agree that many hopefuls have a broken mindset before getting the surgery and doing the surgery won't just make someone more charismatic or fix their lack of social skills.

But I just want to make you know that many do actually have body dysmorphia/height neurosis and many are pretty competent in their life with relationships, girlfriends, good job good friends, good personality, and simply do this surgery to cure their neurosis.

I agree with you, many people are extremely dissatisfied with their surgery life after, they are taller but have a myriad of issues and try to justify it as worth it. But there is a good portion that do recover pretty well, not 100% but definitely a good life still and do reap the rewards of their bonus height in amazing ways.

User requested self-ban.

Montreal172

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »

The dude who wants to proceed with limb lengthening of 10 cm per segment to match his ego, and is in constant denial about his messed up legs after, that's wrong.

But someone going with a conservative goal, using a good method, commits, and minimizes risk, I think that is better example of the positive outcomes that can occur.

But don't get me wrong both have risks, I just feel less bad hearing about a guy who did 10 cm in a segment with Bets or another surgeon, and got screwed over, as opposed to the guy who had problems at 4 cm.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 10:03:45 PM »

How tall are you today, 0live?
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Batu

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 04:12:34 AM »

Most of this can be explained by human nature imo, we're hardwired to be constantly innovating and pushing the boundaries.

You can see it on this forum. The majority of the time people are trying to get to that "next level". Those who are on the lower end of "normal" (around 5'4-5'6) want to get to the lower end of average (5'7-5'9), those who are 5'1-5'3 are trying to get to the "normal" range (5'4-5'6) and then you have those who are at the lower end of average who want to end up above average.

Your desire to have 2 healthy legs is much more understandable but I believe that it's the same bioligical function that is driving those on here who are also somewhat dissatisfied with their bodies.

A lot of innovation starts off focused on a small area and expands until it is available for the masses. From the computers that used to take up an entire room, to IBM's business focused computing, to the personal computer (originally available to the middle class upwards in developed nations and the rich in developing nations) to almost anyone in the world having access to an extremely powerful computer in their pocket.

CLL is just another extension of this. Likely this procedure will become very popular and as more money is driving into the industry it will improve the speed innovation and the costs will come down. This will then benefit those who were born with defects, in horrible accidents etc. and can also help the average person feel better about themselves.

I would try to think about it like that, this is a good thing for all. It's easy to understand why this would frustrate you but the same frustration is likely felt by someone who is born 5'1 when they see someone get some other type of cosmetic procedure. Imagine seeing a Tom Brady get something done to himself - 6'4, top level athlete, good looking and smart - but he (or someone else like him) wants to improve himself and his life just like anyone else.

For somebody who thinks this will significantly improve their quality of life/happiness, if they can afford it and they think the technology has reached a point where the risks are worth it - they should strongly consider it and not feel bad about doing so.

hoopdreams

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 05:10:49 AM »

Most of this can be explained by human nature imo, we're hardwired to be constantly innovating and pushing the boundaries.

You can see it on this forum. The majority of the time people are trying to get to that "next level". Those who are on the lower end of "normal" (around 5'4-5'6) want to get to the lower end of average (5'7-5'9), those who are 5'1-5'3 are trying to get to the "normal" range (5'4-5'6) and then you have those who are at the lower end of average who want to end up above average.

Your desire to have 2 healthy legs is much more understandable but I believe that it's the same bioligical function that is driving those on here who are also somewhat dissatisfied with their bodies.

A lot of innovation starts off focused on a small area and expands until it is available for the masses. From the computers that used to take up an entire room, to IBM's business focused computing, to the personal computer (originally available to the middle class upwards in developed nations and the rich in developing nations) to almost anyone in the world having access to an extremely powerful computer in their pocket.

CLL is just another extension of this. Likely this procedure will become very popular and as more money is driving into the industry it will improve the speed innovation and the costs will come down. This will then benefit those who were born with defects, in horrible accidents etc. and can also help the average person feel better about themselves.

I would try to think about it like that, this is a good thing for all. It's easy to understand why this would frustrate you but the same frustration is likely felt by someone who is born 5'1 when they see someone get some other type of cosmetic procedure. Imagine seeing a Tom Brady get something done to himself - 6'4, top level athlete, good looking and smart - but he (or someone else like him) wants to improve himself and his life just like anyone else.

For somebody who thinks this will significantly improve their quality of life/happiness, if they can afford it and they think the technology has reached a point where the risks are worth it - they should strongly consider it and not feel bad about doing so.

I agree. I’m a far cry from Tom Brady but I have received ridicule for wanting this surgery. I find it interesting. It’s almost as if shorter guys wanna dissuade people from doing this surgery so that they can decrease the height deviation. I understand the premise, but it seems unfair judge someone for wanting CLL, especially when height is subjective. 5’10 might seem tall to the people on this forum but I feel like a proper midget(pardon my language) around my friends and family. Especially my little brother who I grew up giving knuckle sandwiches to and destroying in basketball. He’s now a towering 6’1 at 17 and probably still growing. My biggest reason for wanting the surgery is to gain an athletic advantage. Although I can’t ignore the added appeal of the social benefits of being taller, but my driving reason isn’t to become a better amateur athlete haha. I know many people believe that my athleticism will diminish but I think it’s hogwash. As long as I am diligent in my post op pt I will not only regain but potentially surpass my pre op athleticism. Shooting for 10-12 cms in the femurs. Call me crazy but I would rather get it done in one surgery than two haha. 7 more weeks until surgery if this pandemic can relax a bit.
Evening height: 5’10 (178cm)
Goal: 6’3 (190.5cm)

snowpiecer

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 05:20:58 AM »

Why not shoot for 15cm on the femurs while you at it? Sorry to say but people like you are never gonna be satisfied/happy in life.

hoopdreams

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 06:05:05 AM »

I honestly probably could manage it, seeing as I’m 1 inch above average in my country (USA). But 10-12 cm would put me at the perfect male athletic height. I genuinely wouldn’t want to be any taller ::)

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to improve your appearance. Just because u were born short doesn’t give u the right to dictate who goes through with this surgery lmao. U goofballs make me laugh sometimes. I’m doing the surgery whether u guys like it or not

Montreal172

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 08:55:23 AM »

Its your body, you can do whatever you want. But consider this, STRYDE the most advanced deceived in LL goes up to a maximum of 8 cm, and that only occurs for femur. Plus the decades of research and cumulative experience telling you about safe limits. But if you wanna gamble your health and think you'll be an outlier, go ahead. Just don't cry when things don't work out.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »

I agree. I’m a far cry from Tom Brady but I have received ridicule for wanting this surgery. I find it interesting. It’s almost as if shorter guys wanna dissuade people from doing this surgery so that they can decrease the height deviation. I understand the premise, but it seems unfair judge someone for wanting CLL, especially when height is subjective. 5’10 might seem tall to the people on this forum but I feel like a proper midget(pardon my language) around my friends and family. Especially my little brother who I grew up giving knuckle sandwiches to and destroying in basketball. He’s now a towering 6’1 at 17 and probably still growing. My biggest reason for wanting the surgery is to gain an athletic advantage. Although I can’t ignore the added appeal of the social benefits of being taller, but my driving reason isn’t to become a better amateur athlete haha. I know many people believe that my athleticism will diminish but I think it’s hogwash. As long as I am diligent in my post op pt I will not only regain but potentially surpass my pre op athleticism. Shooting for 10-12 cms in the femurs. Call me crazy but I would rather get it done in one surgery than two haha. 7 more weeks until surgery if this pandemic can relax a bit.

Your feelings of inadequacy because of your family are understandable and human. After all, our family and friends are the ones we feel connected with and we shape our identity by comparing ourselves to them! However, if you want do to LL to get better athletically I have to disappoint you. Lengthening 10 or even 5 cm is going to damage your athletic capabities and potential for the rest of your life, there's just no denying that. If you go to a top doctor, you can reasonable expect to recover well and live life just as before (albeit with the potential of minor aches and pains that also come with aging). You will never be as good in athletics as you could've been before. There's just no way to deny it. If you come out of it with the athletic potential of the normal, average person, you can consider yourself very lucky.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

hoopdreams

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 03:49:07 PM »

Its your body, you can do whatever you want. But consider this, STRYDE the most advanced deceived in LL goes up to a maximum of 8 cm, and that only occurs for femur. Plus the decades of research and cumulative experience telling you about safe limits. But if you wanna gamble your health and think you'll be an outlier, go ahead. Just don't cry when things don't work out.

Drs. Recommend 8cm max because that is the upper safe limit for the average cosmetic LL candidate. This pool of people includes middle aged men and women that are more than likely out of shape. At 26 I am still relatively young, healthy and athletic. I plan to take my girlfriend with me, so I will have a social support system through the ordeal. I’ve been looking into this surgery for 1.5years now and have seen far too many cases of men (and women) lengthening beyond the recommended limit. Sure it doesn’t happen in 1st world developed countries like US and Germany, but I’ve seen it done elsewhere and I’m sure I can have the same outcome. There’s something intrinsically human about pushing boundaries. People thought it was impossible to run a mile in under 4 minutes until someone did it, then subsequently a bunch of people started doing it. Never underestimate the human body and it’s ability to adapt and regenerate. Anyway, I certainly won’t be crying after I get my height. I will be working my ass off to ensure I enjoy my height to the fullest capacity. And if that means training in the gym 5 days a week 2x a day then so be it!

hoopdreams

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »

Your feelings of inadequacy because of your family are understandable and human. After all, our family and friends are the ones we feel connected with and we shape our identity by comparing ourselves to them! However, if you want do to LL to get better athletically I have to disappoint you. Lengthening 10 or even 5 cm is going to damage your athletic capabities and potential for the rest of your life, there's just no denying that. If you go to a top doctor, you can reasonable expect to recover well and live life just as before (albeit with the potential of minor aches and pains that also come with aging). You will never be as good in athletics as you could've been before. There's just no way to deny it. If you come out of it with the athletic potential of the normal, average person, you can consider yourself very lucky.

I appreciate you understanding where I’m coming from, but I have to emphatically disagree with u about permanently losing my athletic ability. Especially in the case of femoral lengthening, it really is as simple as building your muscles and soft tissue back up to pre op strength. Our bodies do an excellent job of regenerating new soft tisssue. It will take time but it will happen with. Once the new soft tissue grows in u simply have to train and strengthen it. Your new bone will allow rigorous weight training so why not take advantage of it? After full consolidation of course. After that it’s a simple matter of adapting to your new biomechanics and regaining your agility, and just like that u are back to pre op athleticism. I don’t want to oversimplify it because it will obviously be an ordeal, but this notion that it is impossible to get back to pre op athleticism is completely ridiculous and needs to be put to rest. If one has the mental fortitude to train then regaining his athleticism will just be the natural progression of things. People that did not go back to 100% simply did not work hard enough to get healthy. As a lifelong athlete I would never let myself waste away like that. I’m also considering running an anabolic steroid cycle or two during consolidation to help with speeding up and optimizing recovery. Just my two cents.

0live

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 05:57:02 PM »

As a personal anecdote, I also completely dismissed of LL for my short stature- until I discovered Stryde, an internal nail that allows full leg weight bearing as soon as 3 weeks post surgery. I would never consider externals. I think as time passes and the technology improves for recovery, I think more and more people will take a serious look at CLL as an option, rather than acceptance. Im only one case though, tons of people would still be willing to use externals and more difficult methods to LL.

Also I haven't done LL either so I don't know if I would own up to my words when the time comes haha.

I think the main reason why people go through this risky procedure, is because the benefits are worth more to them than the risks. They probably feel so sad with their height that the collective pain of a lifetimes worth of being short is much greater than the short term pain and complications(maybe long term sometimes) of LL.

They will take that gamble of betting their legs on the line

I mean in all fairness I also don't know much about the internal fixators. It's not an option for children I believe since their bones are too narrow.

I also am fortunate enough that I've managed to get over most of my unhappiness with my appearance after years of learning to ignore people and having to adopt an I don't care attitude so can't relate too much to being that level of unhappy with your height. If you do decide to go through with it I hope it works out (although adding lifts onto the bottom of your shoe definitely seems easier).

0live

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »

How tall are you today, 0live?
164cm I believe (that sounds very exact but it was just what a nurse told me from a few years ago and I've just assumed it's still right (I definitely haven't grown since though))

0live

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 06:17:34 PM »

I mean my desire to have two healthy legs is so I can go on a hike if I want to or do sports without having to make sure I have enough food for dinner before hand (or having to decide against doing an activity because I have to cook dinner that day). I'd say the desire to not be in pain all the time isn't quite the same thing but I get what you're saying.

I do appreciate the fact that things becoming more popular can help improve things though! That has been my main justification for not being too annoyed when I've seen threads here that at least it helps improve this surgery. I don't think internal nails work on children since they're still too wide but maybe they'll get to that point. I really hope so. I've been told that the surgery has improved enough that some of my more recent surgeries are technically more painful than LL (they definitely weren't more painful than LL when I had to do it though) so that is nice to hear.

I think my frustration is more towards the fact that this surgery can be horrific and traumatising but some people are doing it by choice, despite the risks. And those people are also having a far easier time. I really hope it works out for everyone and they do get the benefits out of it because I would not want anyone to experience a lifetime of pain. It's not fun.

Polvorón

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 08:34:01 PM »

Like you’re putting yourself through unnecessary risk just to be a bit taller? It feels like a lot of you could do with therapy instead to be honest. This may come across as being quite aggressive and sorry if it does but it just bothers me a bit when I see people jumping at the chance to go through what was an awful time for me
I know people who are 180-185 cm tall, I want to be like them.

I will never be 180-185 cm tall with "therapy" (brainwashing IMHO), I don't want to be short, and if I have enough money, or CLL becomes cheaper, I will do it, because I want to feel the life being taller, I am tired of being 173 cm, I don't like it, and I don't want to be all my life envying other people taller than me.

¿Risks? Maybe, but... ¿How many people rides bikes or practice extreme sports? I prefer to have other risks, also, most of risks can be under control and fixed.

I feel my short height as a body deformity.

And being short is another risk: you have a higher chance of committing suicide.

I would like to be proud of my body, and CLL is the way for that. "therapy" simply won't change my mind and my feelings about my body. ¿Therapy? Not, thanks.
Note: at this moment I'm only a "pretender", I want to know more about this interesting procedure. Hopping to become 185 cm (6'1'') from 174 cm (5'8 ½''), but it is too expensive.
My sitting height is 92½ - 94 cm (36''½ 37''), my length of legs is 81 cm (32'') and my armspan is 180 cm (70'' 7/8).

0live

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 09:03:40 PM »

I know people who are 180-185 cm tall, I want to be like them.

I will never be 180-185 cm tall with "therapy" (brainwashing IMHO), I don't want to be short, and if I have enough money, or CLL becomes cheaper, I will do it, because I want to feel the life being taller, I am tired of being 173 cm, I don't like it, and I don't want to be all my life envying other people taller than me.

¿Risks? Maybe, but... ¿How many people rides bikes or practice extreme sports? I prefer to have other risks, also, most of risks can be under control and fixed.

I feel my short height as a body deformity.

And being short is another risk: you have a higher chance of committing suicide.

I would like to be proud of my body, and CLL is the way for that. "therapy" simply won't change my mind and my feelings about my body. ¿Therapy? Not, thanks.

Hello! If you are considering suicide because of your height I would strongly urge you to get help and talk to a professional about it. I am not a qualified professional so do not want to give advice or say much more than that but most countries do have helplines you can call.

Therapy is a very helpful tool but I would say is more helpful if you have a reason you're reaching out and do put some effort into it. I would argue it's definitely a cheaper option to consider than CLL. It's been pointed out that it doesn't work for everyone which is completely fair, however if you feel your mental state is hindered this much by your height I would consider it (even just for a short period).

I would also argue this is not comparable to the risk from riding a bike and that they are separate issues

Polvorón

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 09:27:09 PM »

Hello! If you are considering suicide because of your height I would strongly urge you to get help and talk to a professional about it. I am not a qualified professional so do not want to give advice or say much more than that but most countries do have helplines you can call.
Not, I mean that being short gives a higher chance of committing suicide.

Therapy is a very helpful tool but I would say is more helpful if you have a reason you're reaching out and do put some effort into it. I would argue it's definitely a cheaper option to consider than CLL. It's been pointed out that it doesn't work for everyone which is completely fair, however if you feel your mental state is hindered this much by your height I would consider it (even just for a short period).
Therapy won't fix my body. I don't want to be short, I want to have a body like other people have, I like their bodies and I would like to have one like that.

Therapy can work if your height is not your problem.

Also, going to gym doesn't work, I tried it and It did not work, muscles look good, but only if I were taller, not at 5'8'', I stopped it because I was feeling that I was wasting time and money.
I would also argue this is not comparable to the risk from riding a bike and that they are separate issues
There are a lot of bikers who suffer accidents, riding a bike instead of driving a car, or even better, using public transportation is a risk.
Why not tell people to stop riding their bikes, and travel by train? I am a train lover, so I am "saving risk" in transportation and I would like to "spend it" in having the body that I would like to have.
Note: at this moment I'm only a "pretender", I want to know more about this interesting procedure. Hopping to become 185 cm (6'1'') from 174 cm (5'8 ½''), but it is too expensive.
My sitting height is 92½ - 94 cm (36''½ 37''), my length of legs is 81 cm (32'') and my armspan is 180 cm (70'' 7/8).
Pages: [1]   Go Up