Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral femoral lengthening, Stryde with Mr. Bacarese-Hamilton (UK)  (Read 3582 times)

Mule

Hi everyone,

I underwent my operation last year, mid March. I’m quite a private person and I initially didn’t want to do a diary here, but I do want people to know about my experience to help inform their own decisions. As other people have said too, once you have the operation and recover you sort of just want to get back to your normal life, and that’s how it’s been for me.

About me:
I’m male, in my early 20’s, and I started at 169cm (5”6.5) and now am 176cm (5”9.3). I officially lengthened 6.3cm but I think the extra 0.7 came from the initial gap and straightening of the femur. I was stretching for quite a few months prior and could get my legs to 120-130 degrees while lying on my back and comfortably could place palms on the floor with straight legs. I also am hyper mobile which I think helped to some degree.

I have had a really good  experience with Mr. Bacarese-Hamilton. If you do decide to go through with this operation, it really has to be done right. The process was definitely not as bad as I was anticipating - I think massively helped by the development of the Stryde nail, allowing me to weight bear early on, and Ian who was always there for any reassurance or questions I had, and who carefully monitored me. He’s a highly skilled surgeon but also so friendly and caring.

I don’t want to downplay how serious an operation it is though, and it’s important you know exactly what you’re getting yourself into, months of rehabilitation, pain, mental and physical, boredom, loneliness etc. The list goes on, but what really helped me was the incredible support I had from my family and also my friends.

Ian was always there for me, reassuring me about any concerns I had (e.g. a few times I got a sort of electric shock during the lengthening, another time there was a sort of clicking sound I wasn’t sure about.) The physios and Terry, Ian’s assistant were also all great and I have to thank them for all their support.

I’d say I’m virtually at 100% now, walking is normal, I can run (albeit not as fast as I used to be able to but it takes some getting used to and I have been a bit lazy in that regards), I ran 5km the other day. I very rarely get a small amount of pain which can easily be dealt with paracetamol (which I almost never take because it goes away very quickly and it’s hardly noticeable.) My hips can still be a bit ‘clicky’ but thats progressively gone down with time.

I’m happy to post some X-rays, pictures of scars or walking videos (if I can figure out how to blur my face) and will try to answer any questions you have.

PANDA:BEAR..

Hey ... congratulations on your lengthening...

Can you please kindly tell us ... where in the UK you got this surgery and the costs involved...

Thanks Panda  8)

Movie

Cool to hear of a new CLL Veteran even if we didn't read your progress. you'll need video software for the face blurring such as Final cut pro X or Premiere pro X or if you have an iphone try FaceBlury It's an app that'll blur your face easily.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

Mule

Hey ... congratulations on your lengthening...

Can you please kindly tell us ... where in the UK you got this surgery and the costs involved...

Thanks Panda  8)

Thank you :)

I had it done in London, at the Princess Grace, but I believe Ian has moved to another centre in London.

It was around £77k including everything (operation, nails, post-consultations, daily physio therapy for multiple weeks, hydrotherapy, X-rays)

Mule

Cool to hear of a new CLL Veteran even if we didn't read your progress. you'll need video software for the face blurring such as Final cut pro X or Premiere pro X or if you have an iphone try FaceBlury It's an app that'll blur your face easily.

I’m not very techy, May just try cover my face if people want a video, thanks for the advice though!

Movie

so you still have the rods in right?

yeah that's what I do in my videos I just wear a hat and a mask much less editing needed
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

Mule

so you still have the rods in right?

yeah that's what I do in my videos I just wear a hat and a mask much less editing needed

I do indeed

limewalk

Hey mate, you can also blur your face on Youtube https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9057652?hl=en

limewalk

Can you elaborate on why you choose him and not any other well known surgeons around the world, even though there are virtually no patient experiences on this doctor on the forum or elsewhere? He seems to be a sports injury surgeon primarily.

Mule

Can you elaborate on why you choose him and not any other well known surgeons around the world, even though there are virtually no patient experiences on this doctor on the forum or elsewhere? He seems to be a sports injury surgeon primarily.

So I had to have it done in England because that’s where my family are, I didn’t want to travel somewhere else. Ian is a very experienced orthopaedic surgeon and worked with Dr. Paley in the US. I was actually pointed to him by someone here, and I am extremely grateful for their recommendation. After reading about Stryde that looked like the best option, and I wanted to do femurs rather than tibias because I think my ratios worked out better that way, I personally think long femurs look better and it enables you to get a bit more length than tibias.

I met with Ian and he fully assessed me physically and my reasons for wanting to do it. He has a very strict selection criteria and I like that, he only does it on people he knows are ready for it, doing it for the right reasons and can take it physically. I also like how this isn’t his only thing if you know what I mean. He doesn’t just do limb lengthening, I feel like some of the other doctors in this field are salesman - just trying to sell you their service and willing to take anyone. Ian I felt genuinely cared about me and wanted what was best for me.

PANDA:BEAR..

Hi ... mule,  how do you feel emotionally.. has it changed your life ? Also... were there any other patients you know who did this operation in England by your surgeon

limewalk

I agree with your reasons Mule. Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Do you know how many LL surgeries and if cosmetic LL surgeries Ian has performed?

Also very keen to see your recovery videos!

Mule

Hi ... mule,  how do you feel emotionally.. has it changed your life ? Also... were there any other patients you know who did this operation in England by your surgeon

I feel much better, it has significantly improved my quality of life - my height is something I worry about much less now. I feel more normal (going from roughly 10th percentile to 50th.) I do still sometimes wish I was taller (I mean who doesn’t) but it’s definitely not anywhere near the same obsession I used to have with it, and I’m definitely not considering a second surgery - I’m content with how I am now.

I did meet one of his patients, however they just had one leg done to correct a mismatch in length, and they had the precice nail. It’s the same operation though of actually putting the nail in and same lengthening mechanism with the magnet, just you can’t fully weight bear on it.

Mule

I agree with your reasons Mule. Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Do you know how many LL surgeries and if cosmetic LL surgeries Ian has performed?

Also very keen to see your recovery videos!

Not entirely sure but I know of at least two patients he had before for leg lengthening - only one leg though to correct a discrepancy

BeYourBest

Hi Mule,

Congracts on your journey!

Could you do please do a video for us?

All the best.

BeTheBest

• Visitor

I am really interested in this surgeon due to where he is situated. Are there any other patients of his in this forum?

Walsandrew

• Visitor

I may have a consultation with him soon too as I am based in London, although I am a leg shortening candidate haha.

Mule

Re: Bilateral femoral lengthening, Stryde with Mr. Bacarese-Hamilton (UK)
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »

What would you like a video of?

Mule

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 01:55:01 PM »

That's interesting, can I ask why you're having shortening done?

limewalk

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 02:02:29 PM »

Nice to see this diary mate! I would love to see some videos of you running, walking etc. Would also appreciate x-ray pictures.

Dr. Ian is convenient to me because I have people I know in the UK. But I do feel a little skeptical because he doesn't have a strong background on limb lengthening. He is a trauma surgeon from what we can see.

HeightGain

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 05:01:30 PM »

A few years ago he used to quote a lot more than this just for the surgery. Looks like he has had to drop his price. 80k is too expensive for the UK given that OR costs and overnight costs are significantly lower than the US. He is trying to make more money from the surgery than someone like Paley who has a lot of more experience.

BeYourBest

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 10:06:22 PM »

What would you like a video of?

Walking and jogging would be great!

You can wear a hoody to try and remain as discrete as possible. There are also apps that blur out your face apparently. You can get someone to record for you or rest your phone against something.

Also, if you’re comfortable with taking a full body picture so we can get a look at your new proportions that would be fantastic. In a low length boxer preferably (I know I’m asking for a lot here lol - I guess the videos would suffice. Beggars can’t be choosers)

All the best

jack simmons

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience, it is nice to hear things are going well for you.  I am also thinking of consulting Mr. Bacarese-Hamilton, wondering if you could help me with some advice/suggestions?

There is a possibility I will have to live on my own after discharge (e.g. at a hotel near the hospital).  Do you think it is realistic for patients to look after themselves in a hotel (cooking, travelling to hospital via taxi etc) during the lengthening process? 

The alternative to staying in a nearby hotel is getting a 90 minute taxi home (and doing this journey several times a week for physio and review).  But at home I would have some help from family.  So I would have to decide between proximity (near to hospital, but alone) or travelling (long journeys, but with help at home).  Neither is ideal but would love to hear your perspective!

Thank you for your help.

Mule

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 07:20:26 PM »

I’m fairly sure most costs are physio x-rays etc which aren’t really under his control.. I believe he has moved hospital recently though and I think it is slightly cheaper now.
Believe me, he’s not trying to sell this, he’s only doing it on people he thinks it would really benefit and are prepared (mentally and physically)

Mule

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 07:21:42 PM »

Walking and jogging would be great!

You can wear a hoody to try and remain as discrete as possible. There are also apps that blur out your face apparently. You can get someone to record for you or rest your phone against something.

Also, if you’re comfortable with taking a full body picture so we can get a look at your new proportions that would be fantastic. In a low length boxer preferably (I know I’m asking for a lot here lol - I guess the videos would suffice. Beggars can’t be choosers)

All the best

Hi will get on this for you!
Sorry for the delay I only very occasionally visit this forum when I’m bored.

Mule

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 07:26:17 PM »

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience, it is nice to hear things are going well for you.  I am also thinking of consulting Mr. Bacarese-Hamilton, wondering if you could help me with some advice/suggestions?

There is a possibility I will have to live on my own after discharge (e.g. at a hotel near the hospital).  Do you think it is realistic for patients to look after themselves in a hotel (cooking, travelling to hospital via taxi etc) during the lengthening process? 

The alternative to staying in a nearby hotel is getting a 90 minute taxi home (and doing this journey several times a week for physio and review).  But at home I would have some help from family.  So I would have to decide between proximity (near to hospital, but alone) or travelling (long journeys, but with help at home).  Neither is ideal but would love to hear your perspective!

Thank you for your help.

Hi Jack, thank you!

So I would say yes it is technically possible to be alone but realistically I don’t think that would be feasible. Not only would you get incredibly lonely, even getting food prepared etc would become very difficult, getting clothes in the morning also washing you would probably wouldn’t be able to do. I would definitely recommend you have family help you if that’s an option. Having said that, travelling 90 min each day by taxi would probably be quite expensive.

One of the patients I met before (who had precice) had an air bnb for a few months with their parents and that seems like a sensible (and possibly less costly?) option to me. I was very fortunate to have a place to stay very close to the hospital and the physio.

Mule

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 09:20:45 PM »

Hi will get on this for you!
Sorry for the delay I only very occasionally visit this forum when I’m bored.

Here’s a fully body pic post-op:
https://imgur.com/gallery/JtNl9lH

Interesting to note; here is what my (+8cm mock up, (left)) looked like when I made it 2 years ago:
https://imgur.com/a/oYPSXWJ

I thought there’s probably not any point also recording me walking/running as I just look normal. So unless you don’t believe me I don’t want to go through all that effort and figure out how to blur my face on video.

One thing I will say is it’s definitely harder for me to do squats now. I think having long femurs makes it more difficult (I remember reading/watching some video on biomechanics about this) so do keep that in mind if you’re an avid weight lifter for instance.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 10:08:17 PM »

Thanks for making this diary, Mule!!!

1. What objects do you think are good to bring with you if you were traveling somewhere away from home for LL?

2. What objects do you think are good to order once someone gets to their LL location?

Longer

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »

Thanks for the comparison!
Somebody on this forum made a mockup for me and my legs look quite alien-esque, but now I think it automatically looks more natural after you actually lenghten the legs.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 11:59:23 PM »

Congrats mule

First time I actually was able to compare a mock up with the real thing

The truth is, mockups never depict an accurate after-pic. Our body just works differently than just increasing length of our skin, the radius changes, the fat changes, everything changes and so many things change. Mockups just give an idea. In clothes it becomes almost undetectable. In your after pic, your thighs got thicker so femur lengthening proportions is essentially unnoticeable

Congrats though. Squats are just biomechanically more difficult now, but hopefully it's not too much for a big deal for you

This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

las vegas baby

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 03:15:34 PM »

can u post a vid of squatting then? since u say its not perfectly normal we wanna see how not normal it is and also your proportions when u make your femurs parallel to the floor.

thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up