Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur Stryde - how much lengthening makes sense  (Read 704 times)

Alexander the Great

• Visitor
Femur Stryde - how much lengthening makes sense
« on: July 07, 2020, 09:36:16 PM »

Hello,

I'm currently a femur lengthening patient who's just started the distraction phase with Stryde.
Long time forum browser, and first time poster. Now that I'm in the process, I would like to ask some questions to finalize my plans on how much I should lengthen.

Min Height (evening): 171.5 cm (5'7.5")
Max Height (morning): 173.355 cm (5'8.25")
Wingspan: 181 cm (5'11.25")
weight: 150 lb (138 lb post quarantine/pre-op)
current T/F ratio: .775

My ideal min height: 181 cm
Min Goal: 181.5 cm (4.7 cm tibia | 5.4 cm Femur) ~10 cm lengthening
Lengthening Limit: 184.5 cm (4.7 cm tibia | 6.4cm Femur) ~11 cm lengthening

Since a young age I have reached an extremely high level of athleticism and flexibility.
I can perform one arm pull-ups, front levers, muscle ups, and weighted pull ups with +80% of my body weight.
I can extend my hands past my toes 8-9 inches in front reaching stretch with my legs together completely straightened, and can  split my legs in both directions about ~85% of the way.

I already think that I should be able to do 10 cm without any complications or contractures across both sections, but thought as I'm already doing it now, I should consider what is the most I could still within the safe range as well.
So I wanted to ask what you veterans might think could be the optimal amount I could lengthen still with the great chances for a strong recovery?

My questions are, given my condition (I'm confident my base will allow me to enjoy lengthening safely towards the upper ranges):
- would you consider doing more in tibias rather than staying in the safest range <5cm?
- would you go towards the 11 or even 12 cm lengthening, going over the wingspan? (It's uncommon to have wingspan < height)
- I've been accounting extra length (~.5cm) as I heard of loss from bone compression, and the fact that a little bit of the lengthening along the bone's axis would not be translated into height perpendicular to the floor. is this unnecessary worry? Or should I go for let's say 11 cm in hopes of gaining 10~10.5cm in height?

I plan to do my tibia's towards the end of my femur process.

*note my femurs have about a 1cm discrepancy so the max gain I can enjoy from femurs is 7cm
Current LL patient with Dr. Rozbruch 07.01.20
Height: 171.5 cm
Morning Height: 173.5 cm
Wingspan: 181 cm
Ideal Height: 181 cm

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
Re: Femur Stryde - how much lengthening makes sense
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 10:31:56 PM »

Congratulations on starting your journey

How much time between your Femurs and tibia initial surgery? 3 months I assume?

Your tibia to femur ratio is a little low so I think your conservative femur goal is very reasonable to not shift the ratio even more lower, the ideal ratio is 0.8, however Tibias appear to be tough once you get into the 4cm zone from what I've read here. I think your numbers will be excellent for nearing that ratio.

It's great you have conservative goals for Femurs, helps maintain proportionality as well. You have a great wingspan as well.

I am not a veteran but these numbers are very good in general since they are conservative.

When the time comes, you'll know if you can do more Femurs or not, but your tf ratio will not be as good as the original goals. You seem very athletic and flexible I have no doubt you can do your 11cm goal. In the end don't worry about fixating with numbers game, a 182cm male no one but yourself can differentiate from 183cm male. If that 1 extra cm means you take way longer to recover then I wouldn't do it. Less is more in LL and once you go past 180cm I have no doubt your height insecurities will have cleared up.

This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Alexander the Great

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:17:59 AM »

Congratulations on starting your journey

How much time between your Femurs and tibia initial surgery? 3 months I assume?

Your tibia to femur ratio is a little low so I think your conservative femur goal is very reasonable to not shift the ratio even more lower, the ideal ratio is 0.8, however Tibias appear to be tough once you get into the 4cm zone from what I've read here. I think your numbers will be excellent for nearing that ratio.

It's great you have conservative goals for Femurs, helps maintain proportionality as well. You have a great wingspan as well.

I am not a veteran but these numbers are very good in general since they are conservative.

When the time comes, you'll know if you can do more Femurs or not, but your tf ratio will not be as good as the original goals. You seem very athletic and flexible I have no doubt you can do your 11cm goal. In the end don't worry about fixating with numbers game, a 182cm male no one but yourself can differentiate from 183cm male. If that 1 extra cm means you take way longer to recover then I wouldn't do it. Less is more in LL and once you go past 180cm I have no doubt your height insecurities will have cleared up.

Thanks! and yes I hope to get the second surgery 2-3 months after the first.

Regardless of being a veteran, you seem to be of similar mind and understand the right mindset to approach LL.

I appreciate your insight as I feel your words have reinforced all of my careful deliberation.
I think you're right that the 1-2cm after my desired 181cm would be gratuitous, but not worth the increased risk of complications.
I'll consider it only if I'm still feeling great after 54 mm. Thanks again!

If anyone knows about the 3rd question though I'd appreciate it!
Current LL patient with Dr. Rozbruch 07.01.20
Height: 171.5 cm
Morning Height: 173.5 cm
Wingspan: 181 cm
Ideal Height: 181 cm

a

• 5'9
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »

Let me answer your third question as someone who is not a PROFESSIONAL but read it a lot on the forums.

I think "femur" has "virtual" height.
I suppose if you do 7cm on femurs, you'll only achieve 6.5-6 centimeters.

Best Regards.
height: 174-5 at night
wingspan: 180+
Pages: [1]   Go Up