Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020  (Read 53470 times)

Hagane

Re: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020
« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2020, 12:55:27 AM »

Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2020, 12:59:17 AM »

yo SNC
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGsVMIFnL79/
this you?

No :)  I made an agreement with Dr. M. to not be listed in there :P      I am quite surprised, seeing several old folks going for it! I am not the only crazy old weirdo :D
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Tartar

« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2020, 01:03:44 AM »

Tartar bro,
This is the results of the accurate x-ray standing I had done and posted on 10th of October, two days before distraction phase was complete. It must be super accurate, cause I was told for the type of x-ray my doctor ordered, only a couple offices in LA area, among all the offices my insurance has, would be able to do that kind of x-ray.

My main concern at this point, is my lack of patience. I underestimated my recovery time. I was very optimistic I would be pain free in three months and back to normal in 6 months. It's past three months and I still have pain and discomfort starting late afternoon to midnight times. My gait does not yet look normal!  I highly doubt I would be back to normal in 6 months!

Don't get me wrong; I am still very thankful for what I have achieved so far, but I should learn to be a bit more patient with the slow recovery of the CLL surgery!
Oh yes sorry I'm very forgetful, I've read them very well too cause I've done the same calculations by myself, your limbs are perfect.
For what concern pain and discomfort, that's very individual unfortunately, probably you are not very lucky about it.
If you are walking unaided it's already a great goal. Your callus on the left is great, on the right is fine, I'm sure you'll improve very much in these 2 months.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #344 on: October 30, 2020, 01:09:20 AM »

Oh yes sorry I'm very forgetful, I've read them very well too cause I've done the same calculations by myself, your limbs are perfect.
For what concern pain and discomfort, that's very individual unfortunately, probably you are not very lucky about it.
If you are walking unaided it's already a great goal. Your callus on the left is great, on the right is fine, I'm sure you'll improve very much in these 2 months.

Thanks Tartar,

A side benefit of COVID-19 times for me was doing the surgery while working from home. However it's been very boring recently. If I could get out of the house and be with colleagues and friends most of the day, I think I would not have this much of discomfort, but staying at home is a challenge for me!

I am probably complaining too much! I should be happy my pain is not as bad (it's 0~3  on a scale of 10 on both legs).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 01:52:52 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Movie

« Reply #345 on: October 30, 2020, 03:48:00 AM »

Very good callous formation! you should be headed to a speedy and nice consolidation in no time Haha I also saw him 2 days in distraction, similar Callous if I remember correctly.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #346 on: October 30, 2020, 05:08:27 AM »

Very good callous formation! you should be headed to a speedy and nice consolidation in no time Haha I also saw him 2 days in distraction, similar Callous if I remember correctly.

It's great to hear this from you, Movie! Thanks Man!   

Any updates on your nail removal surgery?  Who knows I may follow your path :D

Movie

« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2020, 07:21:39 AM »

you're very welcome SNC.

Yes actually, just today on another thread "nail removal in greece" somebody brought up Dohong Lee in South Korea, I emailed them yesterday and they just got back to me saying their price is 6.6K with 4 nights 5 days all inclusive Bilateral Femur removal, and seeing how Lee has been around longer than Giotikas I'm very inclined to just go to South Korea ASAP, since Greece doesn't have open boarders as of now, but South Korea does. I emailed back on how I can proceed so who knows, hoping to get it done around this time next month if it all comes together, that's how desperate I am to get these foreign objects out of my body lol!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

you're very welcome SNC.

Yes actually, just today on another thread "nail removal in greece" somebody brought up Dohong Lee in South Korea, I emailed them yesterday and they just got back to me saying their price is 6.6K with 4 nights 5 days all inclusive Bilateral Femur removal, and seeing how Lee has been around longer than Giotikas I'm very inclined to just go to South Korea ASAP, since Greece doesn't have open boarders as of now, but South Korea does. I emailed back on how I can proceed so who knows, hoping to get it done around this time next month if it all comes together, that's how desperate I am to get these foreign objects out of my body lol!

Adding the airfare, the cost is still is 1/3rd of that with Dr. M., right?    That's a bargain assuming Dr. Lee would do a good job. I'd definitely consider it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:38:58 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

BelowTheMean

« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »

you're very welcome SNC.

SK seems like a good choice, though right now there's a 14 day quarantine requirement entering from the US I believe. @Movie - did you ask why a 5 night inpatient stay is necessary for rod removal? Do they have post-op physical therapy at the hospital, need to observe you, or something else?
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Movie

« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2020, 06:43:41 PM »

@SNC: Exactly! and Lee has actually been around the forum with diaries ETC before Giotikas and Debiparshad, he has more years of experience. I would even dare to say If it costs the same amount, I'd still choose Lee over Giotikas.

@BelowTheMean: Yes I'm aware of that fact now but that's no problem for me I'd have a little vacay explore South Korea for a week, have the surgery, have a couple days of rest, then go back. No I didn't ask why they had so many hospital stay days.
Nails removed 10/06/2021

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #351 on: November 01, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »

Day 97 Post-op (Tue., Oct. 27) - Consolidation Day 16
Day 98 Post-op (Wed., Oct. 28) - Consolidation Day 17
Day 99 Post-op (Thurs., Oct. 29) - Consolidation Day 18
Day 100 Post-op (Fri., Oct. 30) - Consolidation Day 19
Day 101 Post-op (Sat., Oct. 31) - Consolidation Day 20
Day 102 Post-op (Sun., Nov. 1) - Consolidation Day 21

First I would like to note that the reason I list all the days in bold, is to make it easier to search for any updates for a certain day. E.g., if you search for Day 87, or Aug. 19, it would hopefully list the link(s) to the updates for the corresponding day.

Pain Management:  I have zero pain since early morning (say 2am or so) till late afternoon, around 5pm or so. Pain then starts to rise to a maximum of 3. The peak typically happens sometime between 10pm and midnight. My way of handling the pain is to stretch, take stairs up and down and do indoor cycling. I also watch something on my laptop or TV to distraction myself. The pain spot is not random any longer! It's typically somewhere close to the bone gap. I would also like to add that sometimes I have this feeling of discomfort, even if I don't feel any pain. My guess is that the healing bone creates that feeling for me!

The feeling of numbness on left tibia (which started while I was on a fast distraction mode of 1.33mm per day, as advised by Dr. M; to avoid premature consolidation as I experienced extreme growth) gradually gets better, but not completely resolved.

I have managed to stay painkiller free since Tue., Oct 10; which is a big success to me; cause I had tried quitting on Tramadol multiple times, but the pain I experienced on my left leg, during the distraction phase, forced me to resume on Tramadol. 

I was also able to reduce the number hot showers/bathtubs from 4 or more per day during the distraction phase, to a maximum of one per day. I also welcome this, cause I did not feel comfortable wasting that much of water and electric/gas energy for my numerous hot showers/bathtubs!

Exercises:  I have continued to stretch at least three times per day. My list of stretching exercises already appears in my diary. Please search for "Version 1" or "Version 2" to find them. I do short sessions of indoor cycling, taking stairs up and down, and also walking on the lawn in a nearby park [to minimize impact on my knees] for at least a mile per day; in addition to walking in the house to run errands, etc.

I guess recovery/bone consolidation for 8cm distraction, would take around 2 or 3 months. That means I would probably have 40 to 70 more days before I feel close to normal! any comments to improve my exercises or the estimate on recovery time, etc., would be appreciated!

Gait and Flexibility:  Both have improved since the last day of distraction. However my expectation was to achieve much higher flexibility, and have normal gait by now. Unfortunately none has yet worked. My glutes have definitely gotten better doing the daily exercises, but my legs are generally not strong enough to help me with normal walks. I think my straight knee is perfect by now, but knee bending is far from perfect. My upper thighs (quads) are too stiff to let me me have perfect bending of 180 degrees. My guess is that my right is at about 150~160 and my left at 140~150 degree range.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 06:20:05 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #352 on: November 01, 2020, 10:49:33 PM »

The List of my Stretching Exercises. Version 2:

The List of my Stretching Exercises. Version 2.1:

I do each of the following at least 3 times per day, since the consolidation/recovery phase:

1) My number one exercise looks similar to the one that starts around second 42: 

I try to grab my thighs with my hands on the sides and try to push further. As I got taller, unfortunately I have failed to reach my toes with my hands. I hope someday I can make it happen gain :)

Update: I can finally touch my toes with my hands!!

2) The one that starts around second 1:25, in the same video for exercise 1:   

These days, since I cannot bend my knees that much, it looks like what the guy in the video does, but I would like to improve in bending one legs further during consolidation.

3) The one that starts around second 2:04 in the same video:

However instead of towels, I use my hands to bring the leg up. Also when up, I try to tilt the leg as an extra exercise.

4) I think this exercise is similar to squats, but I do this on the bed. while sitting with my legs straightened at start, I bend my knees and try to sit up on my toes, using my hands on the floor as support. This is very difficult for me, cause of my stiff quads.

5) Thomas stretch:   

However I use my hands behind my thighs to push them further towards my chest.

6) While sitting on the bed, I make a diamond shape with legs (bent knees, toes touching). I push my chest towards my tibias, while my hands are on my toes.
Update: Now my toes a lot closer to my body, as I can bend my knees a lot more than the distraction times.

7) I lie down on my back, with knees bent and legs far apart by as much as my shoulders. I then roll my legs to the right all the way to the floor and then repeat for the left side. This exercises makes me feel relaxed a bit, otherwise, it's not as important as others.

8 ) This is like a set of exercises:
8a) I do the one that starts around second 1:25 in:

8b) I lie down on my side at the edge of the bed, with my back facing the side of the bed. I then take on leg slightly up and then moving back from bed and down towards the side wall of the bed. I do that for several times for each side.

8c) I lie down on my back close to the edge of the bed, then move the leg that is closer to the edge down along the sidewall of the bed, while the other leg is on the bed, bent to support the move.

9) This is like a set of exercises.
I would like to clarify that my list mostly focuses on the legs, but there are some moves that are generally helpful for the body to stay flexible.

9a) Cobra:

9b) Cat:

But I also add this fellow's move around second 17 :D  :

9c) I had recommended this to Movie, for knee pain. I had learnt this from a PT a few years ago, and it helped me manage the knee pain I had at the time:   I start with a plank like around second 38 in this video:

I then move my body up and down for 40 to 60 times each time.

10) I sit with my legs bent towards my chest. I then use a stretch band to tie my knees together right at the upper knee parts. I then try to move the knees apart by as much as I can.

11) A set:

11a)  I use a towel and do the exercise that starts around second 1.31 in the video of exercise 1:

11b) I wrap a towel around my ankle, and try to pull the towel towards myself (which makes my knee bend), while keeping the other leg straight. I do this several times for each leg.

12) I sit at the edge of a bed, chair, sofa, etc., with both legs on the ground, one bent and one straight. I then move my body forward. The more forward, the higher the pressure on hamstrings.

13) Standing next to the bed for support, I bend to touch the ground with my hands. This is my comfort zone, as it takes me a few second to warm up and easily touch the ground with both hands, or one hand, while trying to keep my knees straight using the bed sidewall as support.

14) I had lost my six-packs in the last couple years, but still had ab tones, and some horizontal lines that made it look athletic. One negative impact of this surgery was losing  too much weight for me, out of which something good came out: I've got my six-packs back. The weight loss could partially be caused by the painkillers and the pain itself, but I have not read a reliable article about that. It's just what I have heard or red in blogs.
 To maintain my six-packs I do a lot of quick short sit-ups. By short, I mean my sit-ups are like half way what a normal sit-up is. I barely get up from the floor, but my trick is that I do it many times (e.g., 200 times each round). While doing the fast sit-ups, I also move my face to the left and right, every ew sit-ups, to have the jawline and avoid getting double chins. I hope this helps those who would like to lose their love handles and abs' fat and create or maintain their jawline.

15) I have recently started doing this just once per day: I lie on my back and lift one leg up and down several times. I also do this while standing and using a chair or wall as support to life one leg towards back or sides. This is for butt guys like me (butt guy is an official name BoneStretching gave us on Movie's diary for those guys like us with flat butts :D) to try to reclaim their butt muscles.

Update: My butt muscles are a lot stronger now :D  the muscle loss of at least 1cm I had is gradually compensated. However not yet back to normal, as I can feel the lower butt muscles are not as strong as before surgery:P

16) last but not least, walking, indoor cycling, and going uptrains and downstairs, are very helpful in stretching and strengthening leg muscles.

Update: In addition to walking in the house or outside to run errands, etc., I make sure to walk in a nearby park on the lawn [to minimize knee impact]. I stop every few minutes and try to do something like exercise 13. That has helped a lot with my back strength.

17) Clamshell exercises: I do the exercises that start around second 1:05, second 1:20, and 1:38 in this video:

Update:   17.1:  I like the recommendation in this video to internally rotate tibia while externally rotating the hip:

18) Prone knee bend: like this:

However since I am on my own, I do this with no help; which makes it not that great!

19) bridge: I do the first exercise in this video:

20) Side Straight Leg Raise: Like this one:

Hope this helps! Feel free to add more to this list or make changes, if you think necessary. If so, it would be nice to know your idea here.

Acknowledgement: @readyprecisestryde, thanks once again for helping me with exercises 17 to 20.   @ Movie and @IFS, thanks for the motivation and support. You helped the LL community here a lot, and that inspired me to write my own diary.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #353 on: November 07, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »

Day 103 Post-op (Mon., Nov. 2) - Consolidation Day 22
Day 104 Post-op (Tue., Nov. 3) - Consolidation Day 23
Day 105 Post-op (Wed., Nov. 4) - Consolidation Day 24
Day 106 Post-op (Thurs., Nov. 5) - Consolidation Day 25
Day 107 Post-op (Fri., Nov. 6) - Consolidation Day 26
Day 108 Post-op (Sat., Nov. 7) - Consolidation Day 27 *

* I list all days, cause it would make it easier to search for a certain day. E.g., if you type Consolidation Day 13, hopefully you would easily find the corresponding updates.  However it seems like I don't have much daily updates. Weekly updates seem more reasonable during my recovery phase.

Gait:
My walking looks much more normal, especially morning to late afternoon, when I don't have any discomfort.

I am at a state that I can make my walks look close to normal, even at times when I have discomfort; but for short walks. I mean I have gained enough strength to pull it off and show an almost normal walk! However for most of the evening to late night times, I end up walking a bit wobbly cause of discomfort in the bone gap area. E.g., yesterday when I was at a small grocery after like 6 months, they guy there remembered me from old times, asked me what was going on and if I was okay! so I had to tell them that I had done a leg surgery.

I was able to start driving I think in week 3 post-op, however my goal is to be back to normal in terms of my swimming, walks, taking stairs, and cycling.  by Day 180. 

I can take stairs up and down unassisted and I make progress on that on a daily basis. However my left is stronger. I can also do in-door cycling, but for stair climbing and cycling I need to develop more strength and for walks I need to show better gait.  I have no doubt I can swim normally as fast as before by Day 180.

I was never a runner, but I'll try to run and make sure I can do a normal run by Day 180. My quest for complete recovery to "Normal" has begun and I am overall happy with my progress.

Pain:
I don't have discomfort typically starting 3am or so (if I am awake) and till late afternoon. However starting 4pm or so and all the way to midnight for as long as  I am awake, I feel uncomfortable at times. I think a better term for the feeling is "discomfort" (not exactly pain) in the bone gap area. At times that area on each leg feels like a rock! it is a feeling that you would get after a tense soccer or basketball game, or if you do a serious hiking! I have the same feeling almost equally on both legs. My left leg has started to show more strength than my right during the consolidation phase. This is despite the fact that since Day 1 all the way to last day of distraction phase, my left leg was the one with pain and my right with almost zero levels of pain!

My goal is to post a video by the end of Nov to visually show the community my progress!  I just need to ask a friend to take the video and be careful on privacy matters.

CLL'ers, I hope you all are doing well! let me know if you have any questions for me!  and one last thing: I am happy the high election participation in the US broke a 120 year record!!  I wish peace and happiness for the US and the whole world!

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #354 on: November 11, 2020, 12:51:00 AM »

Hey All!

I would like to open a new discussion topic here about any height shrink possibility post-op.

I was just at a clinic so they could measure my height accurately. I am measured at 179.7 mid-day around 3pm. Pre-surgery I was at least at 173.5 in the morning and 172.5 mid-day. That means I should be at 180.5 mid-day, given the 8cm distraction. 

Of course any discrepancy could be due to wrong height measurements. Also the 8cm distraction is measured using the x-rays. There is a chance the actual height increase may not be exactly 8cm.

Another reason I could think of is the slightly bent knees post-op.

Another could be weaker abs that may not allow you to stand straight as you used to, pre-surgery.

One more reason could be the considerable weight loss some of us experience; which may result in height loss as well. I am however not sure, cause there are online articles, etc. that argue weight loss would make people taller, while some resources claim that it would result in height loss, e.g., because of foot heel fat loss! 

I should say that my height was even lower post distraction phase. E.g., I remember right after the last day of distraction, I was definitely shorter than 179 mid-day. This means whatever the reason is, things are getting better; but I still have a gap of about 0.8~1 cm to fill in. It's not a big deal, but I am just curious.   

Any comments would be appreciated.

V21

« Reply #355 on: November 11, 2020, 08:57:55 AM »

Dr Giotikas said that femur is not totally straight, so you may "lose" 1 mm per 1 cm gained. I wanted to do 5 cm lenghtening, and he said that would be 4.5-4.7 in height

V21

« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2020, 09:04:46 AM »

By the way, how tall do you thing you were right after disctraction? Now I'm scared to go trought all of it to be like only 2 cm after I finish lenghetining lol

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2020, 02:18:51 PM »

Dr Giotikas said that femur is not totally straight, so you may "lose" 1 mm per 1 cm gained. I wanted to do 5 cm lenghtening, and he said that would be 4.5-4.7 in height

You are right. I forgot to consider that; X cm of distraction would not result in X cm of height increase, cause femur is not totally straight.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2020, 02:26:12 PM »

By the way, how tall do you thing you were right after disctraction? Now I'm scared to go trought all of it to be like only 2 cm after I finish lenghetining lol

Right after the distraction was over, I think I was definitely shorter than 179.7. But I don't remember exactly how much shorter. I think it was something between 178.5 and 179 cm.
In any case I have definitely gotten taller during consolidation, most likely because my bent knee problem has gradually been resolved. Stretching must have helped.

It could also be that other the knee area, the body can generally not be as straight as it could be right after distraction; and as we go into consolidation and recovery our body posture improves and we can stand straight more comfortably.

I hope I am correct and posture really improves during consolidation; which also implies stretching can help.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 05:31:11 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »

Hey All!

I would like to open a new discussion topic here about any height shrink possibility post-op.

I was just at a clinic so they could measure my height accurately. I am measured at 179.7 mid-day around 3pm. Pre-surgery I was at least at 173.5 in the morning and 172.5 mid-day. That means I should be at 180.5 mid-day, given the 8cm distraction. 

Of course any discrepancy could be due to wrong height measurements. Also the 8cm distraction is measured using the x-rays. There is a chance the actual height increase may not be exactly 8cm.

Another could be weaker abs that may not allow you to stand straight as you used to, pre-surgery.

One more reason could be the considerable weight loss some of us experience; which may result in height loss as well. I am however not sure, cause there are online articles, etc. that argue weight loss would make people taller, while some resources claim that it would result in height loss, e.g., because of foot heel fat loss! 

I should say that my height was even lower post distraction phase. E.g., I remember right after the last day of distraction, I was definitely shorter than 179 mid-day. This means whatever the reason is, things are getting better; but I still have a gap of about 0.8~1 cm to fill in. It's not a big deal, but I am just curious.   

I would like to add one more fact. Right after surgery I am pretty sure I was shorter than pre-op. I think it was because I had a hard time standing straight. I remember when I was in the distraction by about 0.5cm (5mm), instead of gaining height, I was actually still shorter than my pre-op by about 5mm. This means I must have gotten shorter post-op by about about 1cm [I hope temporarily due to the bent knees, and other negative aspects of the CLL surgery which makes your posture to not be as optimal as it used to be before the surgery].
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 05:34:12 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

V21

« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2020, 04:40:13 PM »

wow I will try to strech by back as well since the beginning¡

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2020, 08:48:08 PM »

wow I will try to strech by back as well since the beginning¡

Certainly. Stretching is going to be very helpful to make your life during distraction a lot easier. Also as we discussed here, it may help with limiting the temporary loss of height post-op.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2020, 01:38:53 AM »

Hey All!

Hey Giotikas2021,   I would like to make a suggestion that you may later find very helpful. I did this for myself, but unfortunately not very accurately. The goal of it is to 1) have a much better estimate of the practical height gain from your surgery, 2) find out whether your right and left legs have a height discrepancy:

Pre-surgery: Right before the surgery, find an accurate height measurement setup, like those in the clinics. Do the following three measurements:
a) Normal height measurement with both of your feet on the floor.
b) Stand on your right foot, while using your left foot for support. You may move your left foot toes anywhere just to create a good support to be able to stand as tall as possible on your right foot.
c) Repeat for the left foot.

Post-surgery, especially after distraction is over. Also you may repeat this on different days post-op and note down the numbers:
Repeat measurements (a), (b) and (c) above.

If you do the measurements correctly your height while standing on each foot would be higher than when standing on both feet. Also if your right and left measure as equal, it's good. That means you don't have a right vs left height discrepancy.

My pre-surgery numbers:  Unfortunately I do not have the accurate numbers pre-surgery, but a rough estimate (early morning time pre-surgery) was: (a) normal height on both feet: 173 cm, (b) on right: 175 cm, and (c) on left: 174 cm.

The reason my right is taller, is that I had a height discrepancy with my right tibia about 8mm taller and right femur 5mm taller. Therefore overall my right leg was 1.3cm taller!! 
I knew this from an accurate x-ray based measurement right before my surgery.

I tried to fix the femur height difference aiming for distraction on right femur by 7.5cm and on left by 8cm. When I was done with the distraction phase, Dr. M. measured my right distraction as 7.8cm (3mm longer than what I had aimed for) and left at 8cm. This means my right leg is still about 1cm taller than my left leg, mostly cause of the tibia difference.

My post-surgery numbers: As an example, a few days ago I measured my three numbers (early morning time) roughly as (a) 180 cm, (b) 182 cm  (c) 181 cm. 

This means compared to pre-surgery I have grown by 7cm so far. There is a chance I can be a bit taller, when the bent knee problem, and other posture issues do to surgery impact get resolved, but as your doctor also noted, femur is not straight, therefore there is a chance a full 8cm femur growth, made me taller by as high as 7cm only.

I thought I should share this with you and others who have not yet done the surgery, so hopefully you guys achieve two goals: 1) You would find out if you have any height mismatch between right and left and then arrange with your doctor to do distraction on right and left accordingly. 2) You would know the practical height gain from your surgery.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 04:28:49 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Bushguy

« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »

lol, it´s true im 175.5cm rigth leg only, 174.5 cm left leg only and 174cm both legs, i didn´t try that haha.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »

lol, it´s true im 175.5cm rigth leg only, 174.5 cm left leg only and 174cm both legs, i didn´t try that haha.

Great you tried :)   

I tried it whole my life, cause I knew my left leg was shorter. I told Dr. M. about it on the first visit.  He referred me to a Radiology center where they do very accurate measurement; so right before surgery I knew my left femur was shorter than right by 5mm. For the tibia (left shorter by 8mm) there is nothing I can do, cause I don't plan to do tibia surgery.  This also means my femur adjustment brought the height discrepancy from 5 (femur) + 8 (tibia) mm = 1.3 cm down to about 1 cm now, cause I grew left femur by 8cm and right femur by 7.8cm.

One question is how would a height discrepancy of say 1cm to 1.3cm affect walking, knees, etc.?  Based on my personal experience, no one could tell the difference cause it was tiny, but I felt like my shorter leg (left) was mostly under pressure while walking, so there is a chance the left knee gets more pressured than the right.

Bushguy

« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2020, 02:50:14 PM »

Sorry i can´t answer that properly but i think if you only have tibias discrepancy it can be easily corrected with shoes inserts to level the knees. Sorry my english mate.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2020, 03:04:43 PM »

Sorry i can´t answer that properly but i think if you only have tibias discrepancy it can be easily corrected with shoes inserts to level the knees. Sorry my english mate.

Thanks a lot Bushguy! This is a great reminder! I will talk to Dr. M. about it.

Bushguy

« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »

;)

V21

« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »

Hey man, thanks for the advice¡ I will try the one leg measure, but I do know my "normal" height, as I measure myself all the time, always at night. My normal low is like 172.6, which is not bad at all. However, if I'm really tired (like after running for 1 hour) I go down to 171.5. My goal with this surgery is to be confortably over 175 (like 176). With worse posture right after the op I hope not to be less than 1.71, so 5.5 cm should be able to achieve my goal and guarantee good recovery. I do am afraid to go trought all of this to be only like 174 lol

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #369 on: November 12, 2020, 10:39:04 PM »

Hey man, thanks for the advice¡ I will try the one leg measure, but I do know my "normal" height, as I measure myself all the time, always at night. My normal low is like 172.6, which is not bad at all. However, if I'm really tired (like after running for 1 hour) I go down to 171.5. My goal with this surgery is to be confortably over 175 (like 176). With worse posture right after the op I hope not to be less than 1.71, so 5.5 cm should be able to achieve my goal and guarantee good recovery. I do am afraid to go trought all of this to be only like 174 lol

Hey Giotikas2021, You are welcome!  Looking forward to seeing your successful surgery and updates.

By the way, I think Dr. Giotikas does stryde, right? why not doing stryde on femurs and getting 8cm, like in my case? Your original height is similar to mine. You would be going through the hassles and the pain; why not aiming for 180 cm, like in my case? 

V21

« Reply #370 on: November 12, 2020, 11:07:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm doing STRYDE femurs, but I dont want to do too much. I understand is a risk anyway, but I want to do everything I can to guarantee decent athletic recovery. Sport is really important for me... Anyway, I don't really want to be tall, I am more than happy overcoming the 175 mark. My idea is to do 5 or 5,5 and I hope not to get crippled¡

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #371 on: November 13, 2020, 02:30:48 AM »

Yeah, I'm doing STRYDE femurs, but I dont want to do too much. I understand is a risk anyway, but I want to do everything I can to guarantee decent athletic recovery. Sport is really important for me... Anyway, I don't really want to be tall, I am more than happy overcoming the 175 mark. My idea is to do 5 or 5,5 and I hope not to get crippled¡

I have not done much research on which one, the tibia or the femur lengthening is less invasive for a professional athlete. It would be nice to know if there is a study that gathered some statistics on the chance of full recovery for athletes on femur and also tibia.  If you find out tibia is less invasive and less painful, you may then do tibia and get 5 to 5.5 on your tibia. I am just loudly thinking. Pardon me if what I say is not reasonable!

As for my personal experience doing femurs, I believe the chance of full recovery to pre-surgery state is low; but possible.

I think I have a good shot at it, considering my background in sports. My goal is to recover fully by Day 180. The definition of full recovery for me includes: 1) almost perfect gait; such that no one can tell I have any sort of leg problem, 2) being able to swim at least as fast as before the surgery. I know I could swim 25 yards in less than 16 seconds fairly easily, pre-surgery. I have to beat that if I wanna show that I have fully recovered. 3) run with a decent speed, making sure no one would find my running weird by any measures. If I meet all the 3 criteria, 4) take stairs up and down as quickly and comfortably as before.

I will let you and the CLL community know. I will try my best to video tape my results if my results are satisfying.

If I can do it, then you have one more example of a success story to consider :P
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:57:05 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Up