Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020  (Read 53052 times)

BelowTheMean

Re: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020
« Reply #527 on: April 02, 2021, 04:11:16 AM »

Wow SNC, your nails are already out? I bet that's a record as well! Great to hear that the surgery wasn't too rough on you. It seems like the people who have the toughest time with nail removal are those who got four nails (in two segments) taken out all at once.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #528 on: April 02, 2021, 05:53:47 AM »

SNC - congrats! Add this to the book of CLLer Guinness book of records, which along with all your other feats has to put you at the top all-time! If I can do the journey in twice as much time as it took you with the same amount of success, I would consider that outstanding. Congrats again 👍
CLL wannabe - waiting for Stryde return
171.5 cm (morning height)
171 cm (day height)
Wingspan: 179 cm
Goal height - 179 cm (femurs)

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #529 on: April 02, 2021, 06:57:55 AM »

Wow SNC, your nails are already out? I bet that's a record as well! Great to hear that the surgery wasn't too rough on you. It seems like the people who have the toughest time with nail removal are those who got four nails (in two segments) taken out all at once.

Thanks BelowTheMean,

I think you are right. I don't think anyone would dare to remove the nails in month 8. I think my quick consolidation phase was the main reason.

I however would not be surprised if we saw more stryder CLL'ers opting for an early removal around one year post-op (instead of 1.5 yrs or longer), due to the recall.

Did you already consult with your doctor about nail removal?
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #530 on: April 02, 2021, 07:05:16 AM »

SNC - congrats! Add this to the book of CLLer Guinness book of records, which along with all your other feats has to put you at the top all-time! If I can do the journey in twice as much time as it took you with the same amount of success, I would consider that outstanding. Congrats again 👍

Thanks L8GrowthSpurt for the kind words.

Please feel free to let me know during your CLL journey if you think I can help. I would be happy to help. I have already mentioned everything in my diary, but I know it's a long diary now, and one may miss some stuff.
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #531 on: April 02, 2021, 08:27:31 AM »

By the way, isn't what you said (four nails in two segments) the case for every stryder?   I am checking my x-rays (also posted here) and also any other x-rays I recall looked like what you described.

Two days ago during my pre-op visit, I thought I'd ask Dr. M. whether I could have the nails. I was not sure if he would agree, cause I had read on this forum that some doctors would not return the nails. However Dr. M. did not even hesitate for a second to say sure!! :) 

They gave me the nails and screws (two stryde nails and 8 screws) in a plastic bag after I woke up from the surgery. I will post some pictures of them as soon as I get a chance, but man! the nails are heavy. and seem very strong. It would take a lot of weight and force to be able to bend them :P 

redwedding

« Reply #532 on: April 02, 2021, 01:08:04 PM »

hi StrydeNailChallege,

I really enjoyed reading your diary. You are older in age but definitely look like the 25 year old man.

Dr Shahab is very popular option in los angeles for this operation and he gets the good result always. Did you discuss the risk of deep bone infection after initial surgery with the doctor? I want to know how many months or days after surgery you can develop the deep bone infection and can stop worrying about it.

I will probably do this operation with Dr Javier or Dr Shahab or Dr Kevin

cheers,
sergio
If deep bone infection and the pulmonary embolism was not a risk I will do this operation tomorrow!

BelowTheMean

« Reply #533 on: April 02, 2021, 03:07:23 PM »

Thanks BelowTheMean,

I think you are right. I don't think anyone would dare to remove the nails in month 8. I think my quick consolidation phase was the main reason.

I however would not be surprised if we saw more stryder CLL'ers opting for an early removal around one year post-op (instead of 1.5 yrs or longer), due to the recall.

Did you already consult with your doctor about nail removal?

I'm only three weeks into consolidation, so I haven't even had my first X-ray yet. I think I will try to get them out before the end of the year if possible though. BTW, how are your scars post removal, did you get any new ones? (Though I suppose you might not know yet since they are probably still covered with bandages.)

By the way, isn't what you said (four nails in two segments) the case for every stryder?   I am checking my x-rays (also posted here) and also any other x-rays I recall looked like what you described.

Ah, what I meant to say was quadrilaterals, which should be four nails in four segments (both femurs and both tibias.) I think most of the people who complained about pain, not being able to walk, or needing assistive devices to walk after removal had four IM nails removed at once instead of two.
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #534 on: April 03, 2021, 12:17:27 AM »

Day 252  (8 months and 9 days) Post-op - Hardware Removal Surgery

I removed the nails today (April 1st, 2021). All went perfectly :) The surgery started at 10:30am and by 2pm I was walking unassisted. So far, sitting and standing have been smooth, but I use my arms as support. I can use the restroom with no issues. I had an early release from hospital and was at home by 4pm :) Getting in and out the car was easy.

I feel a bit sore (hip area), but my plan is to avoid painkillers; and use ice packs instead.  Overall this surgery been a lot easier to manage than I had imagined. I'll write more details soon  and continue to update until full recovery.

Update @ 8pm pacific time: It's been over 4 hours since I got back home. I have continued to walk unassisted (short [<2minutes], and slow walks).

I have no pain, but my side hips are a bit sore. I had expected a lot more discomfort. Perhaps it's cause I was on anesthesia during the removal surgery, but I hope that's not the case, and it's because the removal causes little to no pain generally. I guess I'll find out soon!

I got sore throat which also propagates to my left ear.  I have taken the two dozes of Pfizer, therefore I am not much concerned about covid-19, but it could be cold or flu.

Updates:

Pre-Surgery Appointments:

Similarly to the CLL surgery I was given three appointments, one with a general doctor for pre-surgery tests  (included blood/urine tests a chest x-ray), a pre-surgery screening at the hospital that included a covid test, and also a pre-surgery meeting with Dr. M.

There were some last minute mix up (the lab office lost my urine sample, lol, and also the chest x-ray report was delayed), but finally all were set for the removal surgery on April 1st.

The hospital screening took longer than the last time (for the CLL surgery itself). I think they had more checks and questions this time. They also have this new thing that you'd shower twice once the night before the surgery and another time in the morning before surgery; each time using a special soap package that they mail to you. You would use that soap neck down and avoid the genitals. Apparently it's supposed to lower the infection rate during the surgery.

My meeting with Dr. M. was short. He believed the surgery would go well. but he knows my crazy mind, so he asked me to hold on anything aggressive for 3 months after the surgery (no crazy biking, running, etc.). I told him that I would only walk and nothing more! 

Nail Removal Surgery Day also Day 252  (8 months and 9 days) Post-CLL Surgery    My surgery had been scheduled for April 1st starting at 7:30am, however it was later postponed to 10:30am. I was there at the hospital at 7:30am for preparation. The steps were similar to those of the CLL surgery. I only had a cellphone and a form of ID with me. Cellphone kept me busy in between steps. Dr. M. came by around 10am to let me know all is good to go. The anesthesiologist's talk was also similar to last time. I was in the surgery room around 10:20am. I felt very good the whole time. Especially knowing I was doing something amazing by removing the nails 8 months post-op, something no one has ever done before! Breaking records are my thing and I would do anything to break a record, kidding! haha!

Tried to memorize faces and everything, cause I always wanna remember the last minute before I am put to sleep! it's like a challenge for me and I always fail that! once again I cannot remember the last minute before going to sleep :D   I remember the first moment they gave me anesthesia my hand (where the IV is) burnt and then I was gone :D

When I woke up, I asked a nurse and she said everything went well. They also called my family and let them know that all went well. It was around 1:30pm when I got my stuff back. I asked the nurse to walk, but she said I had to wait for the PT to give me the green light. There was no lunch, but some jelly, pudding and cold water. I felt thirsty and hungry since I woke up, so I had them all quickly. I felt like throwing up, but finally did not!

The PT came by around 2pm with crutches. I asked him whether I could try walking unassisted first; and walked to restroom and peed :D  He said I made his job a lot easier and informed the nurse that I was set to leave the hospital. He just told me to be careful to not move my hips while my feet are firm on the ground, cause that may put too much pressure on the bones (the screws' areas where there are holes) and break them.

By the time my ride arrived it was around 3:15 and I was at home shortly before 4pm. I walked for 0.8 miles only, on the surgery day.

My walks are unassisted, but penguin like and very slow. I kept reminding myself what Dr. M. and the PT said about being careful to not put too much pressure on the screws' spots and avoid any fractures. Also given that I removed my nails 8 months post-op, it's wise to take it easy!

First night after surgery:

I felt no pain in legs since I woke up from the removal surgery. I had a great night sleep. Had to go to restroom twice, cause I drank a lot of water and tea (I had a bit of sore throat that migrated towards my left ear, so I tried to keep myself hydrated).

Hope this helps. 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:40:36 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Serilium

« Reply #535 on: April 03, 2021, 04:22:07 AM »

Congrats SNC! I recommend to couch potato for 10 days, don't bother walking too much. I do not want to scare you, but a person called programdude removed his nails somewhat early like you, and decided to return to normalcy too soon and snapped his femur! Just be a couch potato for 10 days! Then slowly pick it up and walk a little! This is a success- but please take it easy SNC! It's okay to be a potato for 10 days !

You are already world record haha! Back then 8 months is when Precice patients STARTED walking unassisted. You REMOVED the nails at 8 months. You are f**king insane (in a good way!)

Actually probably worried that you will go too hard this week on recovery- you have that grind mentality and will work 200% hard and you will probably hate to slack off- but please forgive yourself and be a potato for 10 days :) 10 days of slacking and eating and then months of easy, no stress exercise.

congrats SNC! Best diary ever!

itseasy

« Reply #536 on: April 03, 2021, 07:03:25 AM »

Two days ago during my pre-op visit, I thought I'd ask Dr. M. whether I could have the nails. I was not sure if he would agree, cause I had read on this forum that some doctors would not return the nails. However Dr. M. did not even hesitate for a second to say sure!! :) 

They gave me the nails and screws (two stryde nails and 8 screws) in a plastic bag after I woke up from the surgery. I will post some pictures of them as soon as I get a chance, but man! the nails are heavy. and seem very strong. It would take a lot of weight and force to be able to bend them :P

Let’s see those corroded strydes....lol.  Just kidding!! But seriously, I really want to see what’s up because I’m really wondering if mine are corroding in my legs right now. I’m about to start drinking WD-40 every night!! Hahaha

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #537 on: April 03, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »

hi StrydeNailChallege,

I really enjoyed reading your diary. You are older in age but definitely look like the 25 year old man.

Dr Shahab is very popular option in los angeles for this operation and he gets the good result always. Did you discuss the risk of deep bone infection after initial surgery with the doctor? I want to know how many months or days after surgery you can develop the deep bone infection and can stop worrying about it.

I will probably do this operation with Dr Javier or Dr Shahab or Dr Kevin

cheers,
sergio

Hi Sergio,
Thanks.  I remember back in December 2020 when I met Dr. M. for the first time he told me that one of the possible complications would be infection, but he did not particularly talk about bone infection and how long after the surgery that would still be a possibility.  However I would say since bone infection can be seen in x rays, I hope bone infections can be identified by the doctor soon enough.

CLL is a tough challenge but very joyful. I highly recommend stryde. I hope the recall ends soon with some noticeable quality improvement in strydes so you and others would have the chance to go for it.

SNC

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #538 on: April 03, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »

BTW, how are your scars post removal, did you get any new ones? (Though I suppose you might not know yet since they are probably still covered with bandages.)

Hi BTM, I did have multiple scars on the screw sides close to knees and up in the hips and also in the middle where they cut the bone. They all improved, but did not disappear. One reason is that I don't care to try any lotions or anything for removal or minimization. Leg hair covers them mostly. In any case, I kinda like to have some scars, as a reminder of the things I have done ;D   I would say for girls it would be an issue. They don't want to have the scars I have :D  Please remind me and in a few months I'll post the pictures, after bandages are gone and scars improved so you see for yourself.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:26:24 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

Tartar

« Reply #539 on: April 03, 2021, 04:23:58 PM »

Fastest removal ever, your healing is blessed

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #540 on: April 03, 2021, 04:46:25 PM »

Congrats SNC! I recommend to couch potato for 10 days, don't bother walking too much. I do not want to scare you, but a person called programdude removed his nails somewhat early like you, and decided to return to normalcy too soon and snapped his femur! Just be a couch potato for 10 days! Then slowly pick it up and walk a little! This is a success- but please take it easy SNC! It's okay to be a potato for 10 days !

You are already world record haha! Back then 8 months is when Precice patients STARTED walking unassisted. You REMOVED the nails at 8 months. You are f**king insane (in a good way!)

Actually probably worried that you will go too hard this week on recovery- you have that grind mentality and will work 200% hard and you will probably hate to slack off- but please forgive yourself and be a potato for 10 days :) 10 days of slacking and eating and then months of easy, no stress exercise.

congrats SNC! Best diary ever!

Thanks very much Serilium.   I remember ghkid told me about the programdude story, when I was in month 4 postop. I believe based on programdude's diary, he did precise with rods that are not as weight bearing as stryde nails back in July 2014. He then had his rods removes in July 2015. A few months later in October 2015 (around month 13 post-op), he had a left leg bone fracture.

There is a high chance his left callus was not fully consolidated and his walking and stretching exercises, gradually deepened a fracture that probably started possibly earlier than October 2015. I think had stryde been available at his time, he would not have experienced the fracture. In any case I am not a medical doctor and my guesses could all be wrong. That is the reason I have done what you said; I have been extra careful. I also listen to my body to make sure I continue to have zero pain. If any pain starts, I will immediately go for an x-ray.

I walked only 0.8 miles on the day of surgery and only 1.7 miles, yesterday, day 1 post-op. I made every move very slowly and cautiously. I have also stopped all other activities, including daily stretching exercises.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #541 on: April 03, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »

Let’s see those corroded strydes....lol.  Just kidding!! But seriously, I really want to see what’s up because I’m really wondering if mine are corroding in my legs right now. I’m about to start drinking WD-40 every night!! Hahaha

Sorry I have not posted them yet. Dr. M. said he would have them cleaned. When I got them, I saw some stuff close to the edges and I assumed corrosion. However when I got home, and double checked them, I found out they were my own bone marrow. I am trying to carefully clean it such as I remove the bone marrow parts, but do not remove any corroded parts and make a high quality picture, so we all get some good perspective of how much corrosion occurs month 8 post-op.

In any case, I trust Dr. M. that at least in my case, even if there were any corrosion, I would not have any long term impacts, considering how my body has responded so far.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #542 on: April 03, 2021, 04:51:04 PM »

Fastest removal ever, your healing is blessed

Thanks Tartar,

How is it going? I hope all is well on your side.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #543 on: April 04, 2021, 05:49:26 AM »

Friday, April 2: Day 1 Post-Nail Removal - Day 253  (8 months and 10 days) Post-CLL Surgery

Cold
Unfortunately the sore throat I felt, has persisted. The only time I removed my mask was after the surgery while eating. I may have gotten it from the nurses who were around during the lunch time; or possibly in the surgery room when they must have removed my mask for the oxygen tube. It's unfortunate I got cold. It's not that bad. I don't have a fever, nor body pain, runny nose, etc., but only mild sore throat now; perhaps because it's viral and I had the flu vaccine back in late September 2020; but I wish I were more careful while outside.

The last time I got cold like this was back in December 2020. I think I could avoid getting sick for this long, mostly cause of WFH and social distancing policies.

This is a good reminder for me and possibly you guys to be extra careful, especially if you are scheduled for a surgery; to do all it takes to minimize the risk of getting covid, cold, etc. while at the hospital.

Update:

I continued to be extremely cautious. My sitting and standing at times took more than 30 seconds, to make sure I leave no chance to any possible bone fracture near the old screw or nail areas.

The only thing I did that may seem crazy was trying driving. I was pretty confident I could drive even a couple hours after the nail removal; therefore listening to my body, I saw the risk of driving at day 1, as zero.

Everything else was super conservative. I only walked for 0.8 miles, yesterday on the surgery day, and today on day 1, only for 1.7 miles. I was careful on every step to make sure I don't sway or rotate that may increase the risk of a bone fracture.

I would not mind doing assisted walks to minimize the risk, however I had donated my wheelchair and walker long ago! I also planned to use the crutches only outside (to not make home dirty) therefore the plan is to continue to walk unassisted while at home and use crutches outside, if necessary.

As long as I don't walk, it feels as if I never did any surgery. However when I move (sit, stand, walk) I feel some very low level of soreness, on the two screw spots (mainly hips, and rarely above knees, where screws had been put). I should say the best surprise I have had, has been the zero pain I have experienced since I woke up from the surgery yesterday. It's amazing, that the removal may not create any pain at all! I have had great night sleeps since a couple weeks into consolidation. I am so happy that my night sleep quality did not degrade after the nail removal. I am also glad I have not needed to take painkillers for this surgery.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:26:43 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #544 on: April 04, 2021, 10:53:08 PM »

Sat., April 3: Day 2 Post-Nail Removal - Day 254  (8 months and 11 days) Post-CLL

Updates:
Forgot to mention before that I have been taking aspirin (prescribed by Dr. M. as a blood thinner medicine) twice per day.

I walked unassisted, for 1.8 miles only today. Similarly to Day 1, I was extra careful in taking steps, sitting and standing. My gait is not yet perfect. I also figured as a tradeoff of gait vs safety; I compromise on gait by trying to minimize standing on one leg and instead quickly going on both legs on the ground, so that I can make my steps safer. Similarly to the surgery day and day 1, no pain and therefore no painkillers. My biggest happiest surprise of the surgery :) Soreness on right leg is almost gone now, however left leg lags and I feel some soreness on the left hip area, while walking.

Night 3 post-op:  As usual I had a great sleep of more than 8 hours. I woke up a couple times to use the restroom, though. I believe the first time I woke up (around 2am) I felt like my sore throat and left ear irritation are gone. This means my cold took little over 48 hours. I hope now that I have recovered from cold, I can focus on brining my gait to a 100%.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:02:13 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #545 on: April 05, 2021, 04:44:37 AM »

Sorry I have not posted them yet. Dr. M. said he would have them cleaned. When I got them, I saw some stuff close to the edges and I assumed corrosion. However when I got home, and double checked them, I found out they were my own bone marrow. I am trying to carefully clean them such that I remove the bone marrow parts, but do not remove any corroded parts, and then make a high quality picture, so we all get some good perspective of how much corrosion occurs month 8 post-op.

In any case, I trust Dr. M. that at least in my case, even if there were any corrosion, I would not have any long term impacts, considering how my body has responded so far.

I finally got a chance to make a video on the nails. The vide appears below.

After carefully checking the nails to make sure not much bone marrow is still on the nails, I don't see any sign of corrosion/rusting.

I see one of the Stryde nails as a few millimeters longer. That must be the one for my left femur. I had already noted in my diary that I went to max (of 8cm) on left, but 7.97 mm or so on the right; as my right femur was a bit longer than my left pre-op. The longer left Stryde seems to have a design pattern towards the end. In the video I point at it. That does not show on the right one, cause I did not max the right out, so it must be inside the nail.

Just because I don't see corrosion/rusting does not mean there cannot be.

Please check the pictures that Azman had provided on his corroded Stryde nails. In fact Dr. M. had also told me that they see rusting/corrosion, on Stryde nails when they remove the nails. I hope the recall finds any issues including rusting related and resolves them.

However rusting/corrosion must be a function of time, as well as some parameters related to the patient's body (chemical, etc.). It just happens that perhaps in my case there was no rusting/corrosion. 

Let me know if you have any comments, or questions.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:49:00 AM by StrydeNailChallenge »

itseasy

« Reply #546 on: April 05, 2021, 09:07:46 AM »

After carefully checking the nails to make sure not much bone marrow is still on the nails, I don't see any sign of corrosion/rusting.

I see one of the Stryde nails as a few millimeters longer. That must be the one for my left femur. I had already noted in my diary that I went to max (of 8cm) on left, but 7.97 mm or so on the right; as my right femur was a bit longer than my left pre-op. The longer left Stryde seems to have a design pattern towards the end. In the video I point at it. That does not show on the right one, cause I did not max the right out, so it must be inside the nail.

Please check the pictures that Azman had provided on his corroded Stryde nails. In fact Dr. M. had also told me that they see rusting/corrosion, on Stryde nails when they remove the nails. I hope the recall finds any issues including rusting related and resolves them.

However rusting/corrosion must be a function of time, as well as some parameters related to the patient's body (chemical, etc.). It just happens that perhaps in my case there was no rusting/corrosion. 

Dude, that video gave me hope. I know people’s body’s can produce different chemicals which in turn affects corrosion possibilities, but hopefully mine are as clean as yours. I had to speed up lengthening due to fast consolidation too, so maybe I can remove them soon as well. My last xrays showed excellent bone growth as if they are consolidation fast. I’m 3 months into consolidation.

I’m glad I have the stainless steel stryde. I’m hitting the gym and walking without fear and it’s great.

Another side note, being 6’ now at the gym (easily 6’1” with my shoes), I’m noticing that I’m nearly taller than 90% of everyone in there. It’s a great confidence booster and building the upper body along with hitting the shoulders (delts) gets me to the serious physique I’ve been looking for.

So for all those prospective LL’rs, Stryde is the shiznit and COMPLETELY, and I mean COMPLETELY solved any height neurosis I may have had. ITS GONE!!!!!

las vegas baby

« Reply #547 on: April 05, 2021, 10:11:14 AM »

damn dude 8 months. You gotta pay respect to the stryde nails by keeping it in your body for atleast 1 year. Thats the protocol.

Anyway if you had made up your mind on the removal, I wouldve requested you to remove only one first and then the other after 12 months so we could see if corrosion happens between 8 and 12 months. Now youve crossed off that possibility  :(

anyway sir, jokes aside, congrats on your completion of the journey and we still look forward to seeing how you recover. of course none of this is useful to us because just because YOU recover and do crazy things doesnt mean us common plebs can because we dont have that superman DNA.

cheers SNC, I like the idea of living life challenge to challenge and lookin' forward to challenges instead of cryin' about them.

btw whats your next challenge?

las vegas baby

« Reply #548 on: April 05, 2021, 05:24:07 PM »

SNC,

I read through your diary again and I like your attitude in general. it's prob all genes but do you have some stuff younger guys can read/watch to become like you in attitude?

Even though I am a full adult now I have a habit of blaming things on others and the situation instead of taking control over it with full responsibility.

thank senor

BelowTheMean

« Reply #549 on: April 05, 2021, 06:17:29 PM »

Dude, that video gave me hope. I know people’s body’s can produce different chemicals which in turn affects corrosion possibilities, but hopefully mine are as clean as yours. I had to speed up lengthening due to fast consolidation too, so maybe I can remove them soon as well. My last xrays showed excellent bone growth as if they are consolidation fast. I’m 3 months into consolidation.

I’m glad I have the stainless steel stryde. I’m hitting the gym and walking without fear and it’s great.

Another side note, being 6’ now at the gym (easily 6’1” with my shoes), I’m noticing that I’m nearly taller than 90% of everyone in there. It’s a great confidence booster and building the upper body along with hitting the shoulders (delts) gets me to the serious physique I’ve been looking for.

So for all those prospective LL’rs, Stryde is the shiznit and COMPLETELY, and I mean COMPLETELY solved any height neurosis I may have had. ITS GONE!!!!!

Don't want to go totally off topic in SNC's journal, but do you notice that sometimes when you're walking down the street and you see a guy from far away and he looks taller than you, but then when you cross paths you are actually taller than the other guy? It has happened to me so many times since surgery! I don't think my perception has fully adjusted to being taller yet ;D

BelowTheMean

« Reply #550 on: April 05, 2021, 06:21:53 PM »

It's pretty cool that you can measure the nails after taking them out to know what the true amount lengthened was. I am definitely curious and plan to measure mine when I take them out because I don't think I actually maxed out either leg, but I should be very very close.

It makes sense that you were less likely to have corrosion since you didn't exactly have the nails in for a long time!

itseasy

« Reply #551 on: April 05, 2021, 09:00:00 PM »

Don't want to go totally off topic in SNC's journal, but do you notice that sometimes when you're walking down the street and you see a guy from far away and he looks taller than you, but then when you cross paths you are actually taller than the other guy? It has happened to me so many times since surgery! I don't think my perception has fully adjusted to being taller yet ;D

OMG you hit the nail right on the head!!! I thought it was only me thinking that. It happens ALL THE TIME! I would see a guy far from me and think he’s way taller than he is, then I get closer and POOF, I’m taller than him. Then I actually start to think if I look super tall to people now from far away. So strange huh???  Sure makes you feel great and confident though!Do you think it’s our old perception still trained to perceive things in our old ways??? I’ll tell you what man, you definetly get to experience the world in a whole new way now. Almost as if we are living a new life or journey.

Movie

« Reply #552 on: April 05, 2021, 11:27:57 PM »

Congrats SNC! staying tuned to the post removal updates  ;D
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #553 on: April 06, 2021, 06:51:26 AM »

Hello itseasy,
I am glad the video had some positive impact on you. I hope all goes well for you and you'll also be completely happy with your nail removal and finally mark the end of your CLL journey.

Also glad that you are happy with your results.

Cheers,
SNC

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #554 on: April 06, 2021, 07:42:55 AM »

damn dude 8 months. You gotta pay respect to the stryde nails by keeping it in your body for atleast 1 year. Thats the protocol.

Anyway if you had made up your mind on the removal, I wouldve requested you to remove only one first and then the other after 12 months so we could see if corrosion happens between 8 and 12 months. Now youve crossed off that possibility  :(

Hi lvb :)
While reading this, in my mind I was imagining a platform for one of the nails to be kept in a human-body-like emulator for 4 more months to see how much it would corrode. It would need a lot of mechanical engineering and AI. Perhaps someone should do a Ph.D. on it :P

Had the recall not happened, I would have removed my nails in July 2021 or later. I did not have much motivation for early removal, even if my consolidation went extremely great and formed completely by month 5 post-op, and also that Dr. M. had told me that I could do the removal as early as March 2021. . The nails did not bother me at all. I felt normal with them. However as soon as I heard about the recall, I called Dr. M.'s office and asked for the earliest surgery date. They gave me April 1st, which makes it 8 months post-op; something I had never imagined to happen, when I started my CLL journey. I hope the recall ultimately turns out to be a success for future CLL'ers.

[/quote]

anyway sir, jokes aside, congrats on your completion of the journey and we still look forward to seeing how you recover.

Thanks lvb.
I don't believe in life after death!!! this life is all I have and I wanna max out my happiness and satisfaction feelings. I learnt long ago that helping others gives me this extreme joy.   I started checking this forum one week before my surgery and throughout my CLL journey and I decided to write my own diary to hopefully help others. I will try my best to check this forum as frequently as possible to answer any questions.

of course none of this is useful to us because just because YOU recover and do crazy things doesnt mean us common plebs can because we dont have that superman DNA.

cheers SNC, I like the idea of living life challenge to challenge and lookin' forward to challenges instead of cryin' about them.

I believe ANYONE can be a superman or superwoman. No one is common. Everybody can do something crazy special. I truly believe in that.

btw whats your next challenge?

I had started practicing for 180 split and seeing your post [to make a video of side split] further motivated me. The best I could do happened a few days before my removal surgery with my center height to the ground as about 15cm. Considering when I started practicing splitting I was worse than 90 degrees, it was a great improvement for me, but not perfect enough to make a video. Unfortunately I have to wait for 3 months before I can resume my split challenge :D

I had decided to learn hoverboarding, however it turned out to not be a real challenge. I figured it out in less than a minute and I am sure anyone else could figure it out quickly. 

My other challenges are all related to my main profession and I am afraid I cannot go into too much details, but they are all finance and mathematics related and they take a lot of brain power and determination. I find them harder than CLL, but I hope I can succeed at least in a couple of them.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #555 on: April 06, 2021, 02:09:03 PM »

SNC,

I read through your diary again and I like your attitude in general. it's prob all genes but do you have some stuff younger guys can read/watch to become like you in attitude?

Even though I am a full adult now I have a habit of blaming things on others and the situation instead of taking control over it with full responsibility.

thank senor

Hi lvb,

Thanks for all the kind words. Actually what you said nailed it: in the even of failures, even if others are to blame, we should look at ways to avoid similar future incidents, that they get the opportunity to hurt us again. E.g., let's say a team or individual claims after the game that bad weather and the unfair referee where the reasons they lost the game. Then they should train themselves at such a high level that the external factors such as extreme weather conditions and unfair judgements, would not make much difference, cause relatively they trained themselves to be the best by far. 

I know it's easy to say the above, and it takes a lot of energy and attention to follow, but it would be effective most of the times.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #556 on: April 06, 2021, 02:14:34 PM »

It's pretty cool that you can measure the nails after taking them out to know what the true amount lengthened was. I am definitely curious and plan to measure mine when I take them out because I don't think I actually maxed out either leg, but I should be very very close.

Hi BTM, I can see the length difference between the two, but I did not see clear marks to follow to double check whether the left Stryde got lengthened by 8cm. Do you see any marks or indications for that?

It makes sense that you were less likely to have corrosion since you didn't exactly have the nails in for a long time!

Yes, I think time is an important factor. I am curious if any paper specifically showed the impact of time on corrosion in Stryde nails. E.g., is the corrosion to time dependency linear? sublinear? I hope not superlinear!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:00:46 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #557 on: April 06, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »

It seems very weird, but it has also happened to me, exactly how you described it. It has happened at places, where I could actually verify that my eyes and brain were being inaccurate at start: e.g., we are standing at a cashier line and the guy next to me seems taller, but then we pass in front of a mirror and I see I am taller than him by an inch or so :D   

I think as time has passed the accuracy of height comparison has increased for me, though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:59:46 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23   Go Up