Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020  (Read 53059 times)

StrydeNailChallenge

Re: Femurs with Dr. Shahab Mahboubian - July 2020
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »

Day 18 (Sunday, Aug. 9) - 10.89 mm Taller

I focused on minimizing the difference between my left and right legs in terms of the pain level. I figured if I find out for which stretching exercise(s) my left is lagging behind my right, I would have a good trace to follow and try to push my left to improve. I found a couple of moves that involved bending knees, where l had a much harder time with the left; and I tried to push a bit more on the left to make it catch up. I hope this works.

What I can tell is that there is certainly a big progress; from the early early days when I would scream or even cry of pain to now that I don't scream or cry :D

Crutches: Walking with crutches has certainly slowed me down. I am extra careful: with my left and right feet and legs of the two crutches we've got 4 base/balancing points. I make sure they are never aligned in one straight line. Worst case, they may form a triangle on the floor, but I try my best to make a quadrangle; this makes me feel more secure. While sitting or standing I make sure I use the crutches on one side ONLY. For the other side, I find a solid spot (say edge of a bed, chair, vanity, etc.). That would give you a nice balance, and also prevents me from falling forward or backward (which is likely if you use crutches on both side with no support from a fixed spot.

I feel like those stretches that involve lying on your knees, thighs and belly, help a lot with the condition of my left leg.

Suggestion: I learnt how to use crutches by trial and error back in old times when I got a sprained ankle. But I think if I had watched a video like this one, it would speed up the learning for me:

Should you go for CLL (Cosmetic Limb Lengthening)   :
   I wanted to say this at some point: Life is so very fragile and short. You should under no circumstances waste even a second of it regretting silly stuff like doing or not doing CLL. Should you make sure you cherish every moment you have with your dad and mom? yes, cause you would regret it later for your whole life if you did not do that. But if you finally decide to not go for CLL, would it be something to create moments of regret later on? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Please keep this in mind: We have only one life and we have to live it happily, prospering while helping others. That's how I look at life. Now in this game, would it matter if someone thinks you are short, tall, handsome, ugly, etc.? NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Life is not about what others think about you; it's about whether you think you did the right thing!   
CLL is a very painful process. For someone who embraces challenges, I would say this is certainly one of the toughest things I have done in my life. Did I ever feel regret when the pain level was around 9 and I was almost crying! NEVER; cause I wanted to experience this challenge! On the other hand, if  back in time somehow for some reason, my CLL plan were cancelled, I would NEVER EVER regret not doing CLL. Another scenario: Let's say my CLL procedure goes terribly wrong! say this Friday Dr. M, tells me "SNC, unfortunately we have to cut your legs from the femur level, otherwise you would lose your life on this!!!" ... Shall I then waste whole my life thinking about why I made the decision of going for a CLL that ended up paralyzing me with no legs? NO, once again, life is too short to waste on thinking about stuff like that, even if they look serious (like losing legs). For a moment let's all think we have no legs, no hands and we are blind. Can we find a way to survive and be happy. Let's all try to develop that mindset to be able to do that, should such worst case scenarios happen to any of us!! Sorry for this long writeup, but I hope this helps all of us to be a bit better in planning for our lives.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:36:31 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

m7liam

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2020, 06:17:40 PM »

Sorry mate this was responding to tartar.

Definitely don’t walk before you feel comfortable!

Tartar

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2020, 09:48:19 PM »

I am on the 10mm Stryde and I weighed (pre-surgery, not sure about now) 65kg. Doc says its fine for me to walk without crutches so not sure why you need to be on a walker??
I have your same nail, the only problem for me is that I find quite ricolous that I must use a walker, and not the small one but the biggest with the little table on the top lol. I think that my doctor just want to be sure that I have no possibility to bend the nail but it’s just a way to avoid every kind of problem for him.
I don’t know but maybe I’ll start using crutches because I can’t live closed at home for so much time.
Anyway what can I say is that for me LL is very easy process, it’s just annoying because I can’t go out but I almost feel no pain, I haven’t take a single pain killer except for the first days in the hospital, I sleep every night very well and if I don’t move I feel my legs like they were before the surgery. So guys I just want to warn you that it’s not the same for everybody, I think that there are just 2 real problems about this surgery, I mean problem that you can’t avoid:
Cash
Time
Every other thing is just up to you and your body

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2020, 09:34:55 PM »

Day 19 (Mon., Aug. 10th) - 11.9 mm Taller

Updates:

I notice that my right leg has started to develop a bit of pain and soreness related to distraction. As my left leg heals, and the pain becomes more of distraction related than surgery related, I think my left and right would evening out in pain soon!
Of course I'll continue to do stretching every day.

I got Costco's Tylenol 8HR  ARTHRITIS Pain (650 mg per tablet) which is a bit stronger than the Tylenol I got last week.

Driving:
I don't need to drive, as I work from home. However if I know I have the option, I may get out sometime just to feel a bit better. I believe based on my body status I can drive with almost zero risk (My right leg has felt like normal after the surgery, as if nothing were done on it! The newly developed distraction pain is very much manageable on the right). I could use crutches to get in and out the car.

LL'ers, if you read this and you have some information about how soon others started driving, please share that with me.

SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

Movie

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2020, 12:21:06 AM »

I started driving about a month and a week post-op but it wasn't without severe nerve pain after 15-20 minutes of driving in the leg that's pushing the pedals.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2020, 03:09:43 AM »

I started driving about a month and a week post-op but it wasn't without severe nerve pain after 15-20 minutes of driving in the leg that's pushing the pedals.

Thanks Movie for letting me know. I think I am just going to wait till September end then, i.e., about two months post-op, before giving driving a try.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2020, 09:00:46 PM »

Day 20 (Tuesday, August 11) - 12.9 mm Taller

Before I get to the point, let me write a short story about me: I grew up in a mountainous area with fairly cold winters (many days at -10 degrees Celsius with a good amount of snow). I remember that each year, when it snowed for the first time (typically in October), most of the alleys stayed covered in snow all the way till March! Also thanks to the mountains in our area, I became a big fan of hiking, and got training to be an amateur hiker. I have climbed some fairly difficult mountains. However, it's a shame that my body cannot handle cold weathers, as it should. Especially after living in LA for so long, and developing lower tolerance to temperature variation, I definitely cannot handle cold weathers. It has always been back of my mind to train myself for Mount Everest; but always the last item on my list of challenges; cause I know I would turn to ice and die in Everest :P So I am thinking I cannot ever climb more than 8000 meters of Everest, but instead I may have a chance in the 80 millimetre LL challenge, haha!

That said, earlier in the evening of Day 19, I felt so cold! It's been a chill summer this year which is great! But my bones are in the healing mode, which makes me feel even colder somehow. At night time, I decided to wear pants instead of shorts for the first time post-surgery, also added two shirts on top of my t-shirt and also went under two blankets!!!  I could not believe I did that in a summer night in LA, but it surprisingly helped managing discomfort and pain! so I guess I will continue to put on several layers of clothes at night times with one or two blankets, whenever I feel cold.

I have shifted some of my night sleep into day time naps. At night time, I try to manage the pain with pain killers, and watching something on TV, Youtube, etc.

That's it for today. Please let me know if you have any questions for me.

Megatron

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »

From 8 to 18 seconds of that how to use crutches video looks like she's staring into my soul

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2020, 06:34:27 PM »

Hi SNC,

as a fellow Stryde patient (currently 35mm distracted) I wish you all the best for the rest of your journey!

I'm doing PT on my own as well. In my opinion, it is way more important to integrate your PT routine into your daily life. Nevertheless, it is still helpful to have a family member at hand to help you with certain exercises.

All the best!
MM

Thanks MM,
I hope in a couple months we all drink to our success!

After 3 weeks, my left leg is still very painful! I was hoping it would be over by now and I would just experience the distraction pain on both legs, almost equally.

Just found out my Dr.'s appt. is set to the coming Tuesday. I will find out how my self-PT has worked.

Hope you have no pain, or managing it well with great night sleeps.

SNC

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »

Day 21 (Wed., Aug. 12th) - 13.9 mm Taller

I started the morning walk unassisted for the sake of trying it. The unassisted walk was about 100 feet long. I had to take very short steps and my steps looked and felt very penguin-like and wobbly! My assessment of the walk was that it's not going to do more good than assisted using crutches, in terms of strengthening my legs. I therefore prefer to continue assisted until I am very comfortable on my own!

My left leg is still more painful than my right. I thought of taking a very hot shower in the afternoon. Pain level during shower and a while after shower was a perfect 0. Also legs felt so relaxed as if no surgery or distraction were ever done. The good feeling faded in a few hours and pain was back in the evening. I had however decided once gain to not take pain killers during day time. This time I hope I succeed and continue. I took two Tylenol 8 HR (650 mg each) around 10:30pm and a Sleep3 (10 mg Melatonin) and went to sleep around 11:15pm or so. I went to restroom a couple times and woke up a couple times more, but each time went back to sleep immediately. I woke up around 4:50am. That means I had a record 6 hour sleep post-op!  The whole time, I was face down and that's one of the reasons, I could handle the long sleep. Unfortunately I am used to sleeping face-down. A bad habit!  I will double check with Dr. M. to make sure he approves my way of sleeping.

I did roughly 6 times of PT, one before and one after each 0.33 distraction. Certain exercises, like certain hamstring stretches, are too difficult for my left leg, but still pushing it, hoping left and right even out. 

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »

Day 22 (Thursday, August 13) - 14.9 mm Taller

Today is three weeks since I did the surgery.

I have started in-door cycling. So far did it three days including one today for a maximum of 5 minutes. I set the intensity to low, yet my left leg aches while cycling.
I try to walk a lot and try to make it closer to a normal walk, by trying to take minimum support from the crutches. I mean I have the crutches with me, but I try to avoid putting too much weight on them.

I have noticed that while standing straight and my feet touching, I have a hard time making my knees touch. There is a short gap between the two knees. I hope this is temporary due to swelling. I will ask Dr. M. about it this coming Tuesday.

m7liam

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »

I realised I have wide feet. No matter how hard I try, my feet are 15 Cm apart if I stand straight.

Need to work on it

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2020, 05:32:43 PM »

I realised I have wide feet. No matter how hard I try, my feet are 15 Cm apart if I stand straight.

Need to work on it
Hi m7liam, would you try this if you have not done so already: Please sit on bed with your legs straightened. Then use your arms and push your thighs gradually towards making your knees touch. Do that slowly. Alternatively use a towel around both legs in the upper knees area and try to use the towel to get them closer. See if you can connect them together.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »

Hi m7liam, would you try this if you have not done so already: Please sit on bed with your legs straightened. Then use your arms and push your thighs gradually towards making your knees touch. Do that slowly. Alternatively use a towel around both legs in the upper knees area and try to use the towel to get them closer. See if you can connect them together.

I was also wondering if you talked to your Dr. about it and if you got confirmation from the Dr. that this is normal.
I will do this on Tuesday on my next appt.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »

Need to work on it

X-legs/knock knees, a serious deformity,.not wide feet. Get it checked asap by doctor

Was it like that before surgery?
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2020, 05:43:28 PM »

Update

I just realized that while walking my right knee bends like normal, however my left knee does not. This clearly shows that my left still has issues and lagging behind. I am not sure what the reason is, but it could be that during the surgery somehow it got affected and then post-op got swollen much more severely than right and to this date, i.e. 23 days post-op, it yet has to go back to normal; whereas, right leg felt normal from day 1.

The difference between my right and left still amazes me! I would love to know the exact reason. Hopefully this Tuesday I will get more info from Dr. M., based on his evaluation of the x-rays and my legs.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »

Day 21 (Wed., Aug. 12th) - 13.9 mm Taller

My left leg is still more painful than my right. I thought of taking a very hot shower in the afternoon. Pain level during shower and a while after shower was a perfect 0. Also legs felt so relaxed as if no surgery or distraction were ever done. The good feeling faded in a few hours and pain was back in the evening. I had however decided once gain to not take pain killers during day time. This time I hope I succeed and continue. I took two Tylenol 8 HR (650 mg each) around 10:30pm and a Sleep3 (10 mg Melatonin) and went to sleep around 11:15pm or so. I went to restroom a couple times and woke up a couple times more, but each time went back to sleep immediately. I woke up around 4:50am. That means I had a record 6 hour sleep post-op!  The whole time, I was face down and that's one of the reasons, I could handle the long sleep. Unfortunately I am used to sleeping face-down. A bad habit!  I will double check with Dr. M. to make sure he approves my way of sleeping.

Update:
   Dr. M. just confirmed that there is no problem sleeping face down!

TwinMusicom

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2020, 02:05:29 AM »

Update:
   Dr. M. just confirmed that there is no problem sleeping face down!

Thanks for making this diary StrydeNailChallenge  :)

How has covid/pauses on elective surgeries affected your plans?

I'm an American, thinking of doing LL maybe in Greece or Spain with Stryde some time in 2022, I have the money now $150k, just a bit wary of the travel restrictions/restrictions on cosmetic operations/ no covid cure

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2020, 09:29:21 AM »

Thanks for making this diary StrydeNailChallenge  :)

How has covid/pauses on elective surgeries affected your plans?

I'm an American, thinking of doing LL maybe in Greece or Spain with Stryde some time in 2022, I have the money now $150k, just a bit wary of the travel restrictions/restrictions on cosmetic operations/ no covid cure

My pleasure TwinMusicom!

I was very worried about doing the surgery during the pandemic. In fact I was in contact with Dr. M., and his office staff for weeks, and later also the hospital staff, before finally getting assured that doing the surgery now is safe.

I believe the steps they take in the hospital make it almost impossible to get covid-19 while at hospital. I therefore highly recommend doing the surgery now till end of 2020 to those who plan to do that with Dr. M. in the hospital he always uses (Saint Joseph...).  However I have no idea about other doctors and hospitals. I hope they have implemented something similar to what I experienced in Saint Joseph which made it very safe and of course I did not get infected.

The only impact COVID-19 has had on me, is that I decided to do self-PT to avoid going to a PT clinic or bringing PTs to my house. This is because I do not know how PTs work, and how risky it is to work with them now. Who knows, it could be super safe, but I thought I give it a try doing exercises myself and then this Tuesday, I ask Dr. M. to let me know if I did well on my own, and if not, I would then take the risk and hire some PTs to come to my house, perhaps 3 times per week.

One last thing. I am not sure why you plan to go to outside the US, if you are an American. Do you plan to go to Greece or Spain because there are certain doctors there that you think are really good? or is it cost related? or that you would like to make a long trip out of the experience as well?

m7liam

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2020, 09:53:28 AM »

Sorry to be clear it is wide legs not x legs. If I bend my legs and bum  like a duck I can get my legs to close.

I’m currently at 2.5cm of lengthening and I suspect it’s cos my PT has not focused at all on stretches to cross the legs.

So have started to spend some time on stretching by crossing legs.

m7liam

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »

Let me reiterate. I stand normally with my legs 15cm apart. As I bring my feet together it starts to tighten due to the muscles. I think that is wide legs but let me know if that is wrong

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2020, 11:47:23 AM »

Let me reiterate. I stand normally with my legs 15cm apart. As I bring my feet together it starts to tighten due to the muscles. I think that is wide legs but let me know if that is wrong

This sounds a lot better than what I understood the first time. Sounds like something you could fairly easily fix with PTs. I still think you should talk to your doctor and see if certain exercises should be added to your PT sessions.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 02:06:54 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2020, 02:17:25 PM »

Day 23 (Friday, August 14) - 15.9 mm Taller

Avoiding pain killers during day time, has increased the discomfort and pain as I expected, but it's random. At times, I feel like pain is at zero, but all of a sudden left goes to 6 and right to 3 or so.

I did 2 indoor-cycling sessions. They have been short, but each time, I increased the time and intensity. I think the indoor cycling may speed up the improvement in my left leg; as I make sure I don't push the pedals mostly with right, but evenly with both, and at times, more with the left foot.

Question: I was thinking how amazing it is that bone is cut and during distraction and post distraction gradually new bone grows in the gap! I am wondering how our body decides to fill in the gap! Is it a basic rule of evolution or healing? I mean how does it know how the shape of the new bone should be? Also how come leakage is not an issue for most of the LL'ers?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:31:31 PM by StrydeNailChallenge »

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2020, 06:50:51 AM »

Day 24 (Saturday, August 15) - 16.8 mm Taller

I decided to once again not take pain killers even at night time. I do this, cause I am worried about the impact of pain killers on the liver. This means the last time I took a pain killer was Thursday night. My Friday night was not easy and the sleep became a torture. Pain goes to 5 or 6, and I overall feel very uncomfortable.

As usual I did my stretches several times. I also added to the indoor cycling sessions.

Afternoon was painful and I came up with a crazy idea. I tied my legs at the upper knees spot together tightly using a shirt. It somehow helped me better manage the pain. Not sure why this works! I know in some cultures like the Chinese culture, that they wrap infants' legs like that believing it would straighten legs. I think pressing the legs together comes with the benefit of avoiding any unwanted moves that may be painful, e.g., when you fall asleep. Also the tied legs create some pressure which may counteract the pain generated in the legs. Anyways, I thought I share this with you all and see if anyone else would find it helpful.

Tartar

« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »

Hi SNC, which muscles are you finding more sore?

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »

Hi SNC, which muscles are you finding more sore?

I will write shortly about it, but I had a major setback on Sunday. Knee cap (left leg) is killing me. Pain level hovers around 8. With pain killers goes down to 1-6.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2020, 05:42:15 AM »

Day 25 (Sunday, August 16th) - 17.8 mm Taller

The day started normal. However in the afternoon I started developing knee pain on my left leg and it quickly became so unbearable. The pain was sharp and like I got electrocuted on the knee cap almost constantly. The pain level was as high as 8 out of 10.

I was so disappointed and frustrated with myself that on day 25 I had to experience this level of pain. I believe either my indoor cycling, or stretches or both made my left leg so sensitive. I believe I went extreme on stretching hoping I would recover faster, but it was too much for my left leg. I most likely overdid on cycling as well.

I finally gave up on avoiding pain killers and around 9 pm I had Tylenol. I did the 3 distractions, but tried to avoid any stretches and minimized walks (limited my walks to between bed and restroom).

I don't think I have ever experienced such physical pain whole my life. With the help of Tylenol, however, the pain dropped to 1 to 6.

Night time as usual was full of discomfort. I managed to sleep for about 4 hours.

taller2023

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2020, 06:21:03 AM »

Hye StrydeNC

do Dr. Mahboubian have transitor in Chinese money not problem for me want good doctor  I want do me tibias Stryde nail. I look for dairy in Stryde nail tibias but no one have Dr. Mahboubian.  Than for write dairy big words to I search internet.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »

Hye StrydeNC

do Dr. Mahboubian have transitor in Chinese money not problem for me want good doctor  I want do me tibias Stryde nail. I look for dairy in Stryde nail tibias but no one have Dr. Mahboubian.  Than for write dairy big words to I search internet.

Dear taller2023,

Regarding transferring money, or anything like that I believe  the right way is to contact the office of the doctor you are interested and see about the financial aspects.

As for the stryde LL for tibia, I looked online after seeing your post and I cannot find any patient diary who did that with Dr. M. Please also ask IFS (InFullStryde), Movie, etc. who did surgeries with Dr. M. They may be more updated than me.

I am sorry that I don't have the information to help you with the two questions. But I hope you find your answers soon and I wish you the best in your future endeavors, brother.

StrydeNailChallenge

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2020, 01:46:49 PM »

Day 26 (Monday, August 18th) - 18.8 mm Taller

I am back at taking pain killers! I have to accept that my body cannot handle the pain without the pain killers at this point. I am looking forward to stop the pain killers, as soon as possible!

I have completely stopped cycling and most of the stretches since yesterday. I only did stretches that did not involve much of a knee bending. I also minimized my walks, because every time I walked, the pain got aggravated. Pain could be as high as 8, but with Tylenol, I tried to manage.

By night time, I feel like the pain is not at the knee cap of left leg as much, but the whole leg and it it keeps propagating to different spots. In the evening for the first time I felt a tiny bit of pain on the knee cap of right leg (pain level 0.5 out of 10) for the first time. It could be a sign that my stretches were just too much even for my right leg.

I would say Monday was overall a bit more manageable than yesterday, but still it was one of my toughest days so far in terms of pain and discomfort. I hope by taking it easy on the PT sessions, I don't experience as much pain.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2020, 02:12:33 PM »

Definitely listen to your body. Stretch more than PT. Going hard on PTs no good if it makes you feel like quitting early. Go easy on it. You got this.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Up