Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WARNING: THE REGRET OF 2 SURGERIES  (Read 3845 times)

a

• 5'9
WARNING: THE REGRET OF 2 SURGERIES
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »

First of all, hello everyone, friends,

This topic is really important to me and I know it concerns many people. This is an important situation that should not be missed for those who are considering having surgery twice.

Although I am a new member in this forum, I have had the opportunity to read old posts and blogs thanks to the web archive. And, most importantly, I realized that almost everyone who had the surgery twice in the forum was very regretful and watched by everyone with sad eyes. Since my time was limited, I could not find the opportunity to read the diaries one by one that day and learn where the problem originated, now I have time, but the web archive provides a very slow connection and I found it reasonable to ask this question to you valuable forum members instead of dealing with it.

My question is, why did those who had the surgery twice so regretted it and why were they almost disabled (talking about the OLD forum members)? Was it because they performed the second surgery without any delay or were the reasons for it different? I do not know because I cannot read the diaries completely, but have you witnessed that a person who had a second surgery after AT LEAST A YEAR LATER THAN FIRST ONE regretted or became disabled, or was not as agile and strong as before? Or are all the problems have occured just because they were being impatient and rushing into the second surgery even though their body barely even handled the first trauma of the surgery?

I've seen people like Crazy+6 and 12345 or something, and Craig. They all seemed to regret their decisions. Has anyone got an idea why is it so? Because I really want to be 185cm and it's not possible for me with just one surgery, but after reading those people's misery, It made me think twice. Now I'm scared. I thought putting a year gap would be OK if everything went good, that's why I'm asking this question. If they put a year gap and still regretted their decisions and got almost crippled, I'll be no way near of doing it. I just wanted to hear about them.

Best Regards
height: 174-5 at night
wingspan: 180+

a

• 5'9
Re: WARNING: THE REGRET OF 2 SURGERIES
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »

I'm going to up this thread til it gets a response. Sorry.

drxboom

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »

I can't help much but doing the femoral tibia in a short time is definitely not recommended but meck did I don't know if it healed completely. You can look at the diary.
170cm goal 177 -178

a

• 5'9
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:06:57 PM »

Yeah, I know. I have never thought of doing 2 surgeries before a year gap beetween them anyway. I've always considered to wait a year or more to get the second surgery. I'm realistic.
But I wanted to hear about the old patients who have done 2 surgeries and why they regretted it. I hope MDOW and the other LL forum vets could help me.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 08:35:26 PM »

Crazy+6 did 7 inches total. He probably could not walk for many years. He turned his fixators against the doctors order. I believe he went to the store and bought the wrench they used to turn the bolts of the fixators after his doctor took the wrench away  He looks like a dwarf on stilts. He, also scammed people by advertising Dr. Sarin, a literal butcher.

He hasn't openly regretted his surgery. He's a cripple. He can probably walk now though, it's been a while.
This account is no longer in use.

User requested self-ban.

Kal el

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »

Is 7 months gap from the first surgery okay for a 5 cm increase on femur and tibia each.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 10:55:40 PM »

Is 7 months gap from the first surgery okay for a 5 cm increase on femur and tibia each.

Sounds fine. 5cm not too much. Stay flexible and rehabilitate good  and you'll be fine with 7 months gap. Will always recommend a year though. Gives best chances and least problems

User requested self-ban.

Skyisthelimit

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 10:59:16 PM »

If your goal is 5cm max on each segment, then yeah, I believe 7 months would be acceptable.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 02:20:05 PM »

Are you guys talking about 7 months after the lengthening is over, or 7 months after the exact date you got the surgery? Because it'd make everything change. I suppose you guys meant 7 months after the day you finished lengthening.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »

Are you guys talking about 7 months after the lengthening is over, or 7 months after the exact date you got the surgery? Because it'd make everything change. I suppose you guys meant 7 months after the day you finished lengthening.

7 months between osteotomies.

User requested self-ban.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

I think 7 months after the consolidation is fully occured is ideal for those who has no issues with time.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »

That would probably be like, 1.5 years after initial surgery

User requested self-ban.

Kal el

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 04:54:02 PM »

I mean 7 months between the osteotomies on each femur and tibia..not after consolidation..its like if u break ur femurs on january 1st then again with the tibias on august 1.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 05:08:32 PM »

I mean 7 months between the osteotomies on each femur and tibia..not after consolidation..its like if u break ur femurs on january 1st then again with the tibias on august 1.

Yup, if you're in a time crunch that sounds very reasonable for 5cm Femurs as the first operation. It's only 5cm Femurs.

User requested self-ban.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 05:12:37 PM »

What would be the optimum time for 7cm femurs? How many months after could we get the tibia surgery?

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 05:23:07 PM »

What would be the optimum time for 7cm femurs? How many months after could we get the tibia surgery?

Optimal is a strong word, technically you would want the longest time possible, so maybe 5 years after rod removal.

Jokes aside, the quadrilaterals I've seen do absolutely fine with 10 months - 1 year after first surgery for 8cm. I think 8-9 months for 7cm would be fine. Probably need to rehabilitate aggressively after Lengthening phase if you want to shorten the time

I honestly believe I would not have the willpower to do a second LL operation after going through one haha

User requested self-ban.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 05:30:10 PM »

LOL! You are so right.
I honestly believe I would not have the willpower to do a second LL operation after going through one haha

Because even going for the first surgery needs some balls. I'm not even sure if I could do the first one anyway. But If i did, i'd definetely go for the second one to increase my bio-mechanical abilities. (Ofc If everything went good.) I don't want to lengthen my femur and live with short tibias. Nor do I want to live with 5 cm increase on tibias for 178cm. So I have to do it.

Yes, I think 8 9 months would be allright. But I'd definetely wait for another 3-4 months to see how the things are going.
Also ghkid, do you know why Craig was almost crippled? He didn't lengthen of a crazy amount, was it because of the external femurs?

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 05:56:13 PM »

Whomst've?

Summarize or copy paste his details or story

User requested self-ban.

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 06:11:05 PM »

You only really recover from LL after 2 to 3 years post OP.
I think any second LL before that is dangerous. Too much stress for your body.
To be honest, the idea of a second LL only came to my mind 7 years post OP.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »

Whomst've?

Summarize or copy paste his details or story

He had posted his diary on the old forum, I used webarchive and found it. I can't find it. But this guy is him, maybe it might remind you of him:

https://www.google.com/search?q=limb+lengthening+wingspan&client=opera&hs=Mxx&sxsrf=ALeKk0057ZnznpnyfrV7_4qjS6_iTv8mvQ:1598206443860&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=B9j9jKOPbsI2GM%252CFNTFukOPHJGPcM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kT_BtSpYyWOMI-ljEUiRxh99mqOOg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNs_T69rHrAhU3TBUIHfu5BBgQ9QEwCnoECAwQBw#imgrc=B9j9jKOPbsI2GM

btw, if the link doesn't work, just type "limb lengthening wingspan" on google, click images and the very first picture is him. Sorry I can't upload the image to imgur. I need to use VPN.

a

• 5'9
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 06:17:38 PM »

You only really recover from LL after 2 to 3 years post OP.
I think any second LL before that is dangerous. Too much stress for your body.
To be honest, the idea of a second LL only came to my mind 7 years post OP.

Tbh I think the best timing would be after 6 months frame removal.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »

I very much agree BetzLand, unfortunately the process of waiting that long really is unacceptable to some people who want to change their life in a smaller timeframe. I suspect some knowingly aren't actually satisfied with the height gain from surgery number 1 and essentially plan out both number 1 and 2 to be done at the same time or as soon as possible, hence why we have absolute barbaric things like simultaneous quadrilaterals and cross lengthening

I do think 1 year gap is pretty reasonable. Suboptimal sure, but much more reasonable than say, 6 months gap or simultaneous, and it allows the consolidated time save to enjoy your intended height gain sooner

User requested self-ban.

ghkid2019

• Inactive account
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »

He had posted his diary on the old forum, I used webarchive and found it. I can't find it. But this guy is him, maybe it might remind you of him:

https://www.google.com/search?q=limb+lengthening+wingspan&client=opera&hs=Mxx&sxsrf=ALeKk0057ZnznpnyfrV7_4qjS6_iTv8mvQ:1598206443860&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=B9j9jKOPbsI2GM%252CFNTFukOPHJGPcM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kT_BtSpYyWOMI-ljEUiRxh99mqOOg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNs_T69rHrAhU3TBUIHfu5BBgQ9QEwCnoECAwQBw#imgrc=B9j9jKOPbsI2GM

btw, if the link doesn't work, just type "limb lengthening wingspan" on google, click images and the very first picture is him. Sorry I can't upload the image to imgur. I need to use VPN.

Well im lazy to look for the diary but based on Google search it appears his doctor gave him x legs and basically misaligned his tibias so badly he couldn't do basic things easily. He has a correction and has recovered and can do normal activity now. Not sure if this is the reason, but I need to read the diary

User requested self-ban.

SkyHigh77

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 10:01:38 PM »

You have to remember that external fixators and doctor/Pt choice play a huge role. EF is a lot more traumatizing on the body so getting it done twice before the person fully recuperated the first time is a bad idea and choosing the cheaper doctor rather than the experienced plays a role. You could wait a year or less apart ONLY if you were extremely diligent with the PT and nothing went wrong with the surgery and had the right doctor who could spot issues and quickly course correct.

the good thing about this forum is there are other people who have the same problems as you so you can relate. The bad thing is asking people for advice when it really comes down to you, the doctor, the PT during the LL, and the PT after the LL and the pain reduction methods you found that the doctor didn't give you. Reading old forum diaries are kind of pointless at the stage especially if they arent from the same doctor you plan or the same LL method.
Write 5 different ways you would like the have the surgery done (6 months apart, 9 months, a year apart..etc) and go over it throughly with the doctors. Get all your questions answered that way not people who didnt have the surgery yet or the ones who had it but slacked on the PT

Singapore

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:24 AM »

The question is how much do you value your athleticism?

I did my femurs back in Feb 2019, and I am still recovering. I could run now, but probably only at 50% of my speed pre-op. For example: I could run at level 15 pre-op, but I can only run at level 7 currently. It was my fault as well because I did not train my legs as hard as I should have for a whole year ( blame it on Covid-19 >:( >:( >:().... I believe people will have an even harder time to recover with tibias especially if you cross 5 cm. Its best to do femurs first, then make your decision my friend. I have made up my mind that one surgery is enough for this lifetime :) Its not worth to live a life of a tall person, but unable to play sports and what not. It will be a very boring life to me!

AllinStryde

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2022, 11:31:22 PM »

Are there any archived pictures of this?  8cm on tibia and 7inches total?  Let me know if there's a link to that diary/article.  Thanks in advance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up