Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Paley Sep 2020  (Read 2999 times)

stryde2020

• Visitor
Femurs with Paley Sep 2020
« on: September 16, 2020, 09:31:25 PM »

Have my surgery scheduled for next week!
Got a lot info from this forum and I want to share my experience. Will update here.

Some stats
  current height: 5'6''

Welcome any preparation advice for the coming journey.

Hagane

Re: Femurs with Paley Sep 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »

Got a lot info from this forum and I want to share my experience. Will update here.

Some stats

best of luck look forward to  readiing your journey!
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

Tartar

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 10:15:45 PM »

They'll think about everything for you! Have you planned to stay at the institute for all the distraction phase? (I've heard they prefer so)

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »

They'll think about everything for you! Have you planned to stay at the institute for all the distraction phase? (I've heard they prefer so)

Yes I'm now at one of their recommended extended stays (Homewood Suites by Hilton) and plan to stay here till the end of the distraction phase.

Body Builder

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:50:11 PM »

Some stats

Just have a good mentality and a strong will to go till the end and always remember that you will be a completely another person to society after geting 6-7 cm taller at what you are right now, first of all becsuse LL will make you much stronger mentally and second because becoming average from short is really lifechanging and things get easier by far.

Keep.strong.

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 12:19:24 AM »

Just have a good mentality and a strong will to go till the end and always remember that you will be a completely another person to society after geting 6-7 cm taller at what you are right now, first of all becsuse LL will make you much stronger mentally and second because becoming average from short is really lifechanging and things get easier by far.

Keep.strong.

Thanks for the encouraging words

BelowTheMean

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 12:31:37 AM »

Looking forward to the updates, I will be starting less than two months after you!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

brondo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 04:35:43 AM »

Good luck stryde2020! Hope everything goes well and please keep us updated!

AllinStryde

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 06:48:51 PM »

Hey Stryde2020, best of luck.  You got this.  I did the exact same thing you are getting ready to do.  I did my femurs at Paley Institute.  Rest assured, you are at the best place in the world for this procedure.  A couple quick tips.  The hotel right next door has a hot-tub (you're welcome...you can sneak over there and use it, nobody cares) but wait a few weeks for your wounds to heal up.  Have the PT's wrap your walker handles with padding.  Make sure you get sessions for PT with Mike Thompson, he pushes you hard, but you'll get maximum gains if you get him.  He is the one Paley assigns to people if they are starting to have any troubleshooting or are falling behind in any capacity.  Stretch at home frequently!!  When in the hospital, if they ask if you have pain...say yes to the drugs!  St. Mary's hospital food is great.  You're going to meet a lot of nice fellow LL'ers in the lobby at Hilton, so don't be shy.  Get used to sleeping on your back for a few weeks, or losing many hours of sleep altogether.  Bring a Firestick with you if  you want to watch all your streaming and such.  Eat tons of protein, as you are stretching and ripping all the soft tissues and muscle tissue, so you must replenish.  You will lose tons of weight without even trying.  Ration your Oxy pills, as they will not prescribe any more other than the initial amount you get.  Your glutes will feel like jelly and be sore from the IT-band release, don't panic, all this goes away during the process.  A few days or weeks in you may ask, "what on earth did I get myself into?"  Just keep going and you will soon realize this was an awesome decision and you will be so proud of yourself.  Don't hesitate to talk to Angelique, she's awesome and will be your nurse-navigator through the whole process.  If they have the International Thanksgiving event...go to that at the Institute (although they may not have it this year because of covid).  Keep us updated!!!!  I know this is all scattered, guess I'm just excited for people when they decide to commit and go for it, rather than some people on here who talk about it for years and just let time escape.  C-Ya!

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »

Hey Stryde2020, best of luck.  You got this.  I did the exact same thing you are getting ready to do.  I did my femurs at Paley Institute.  Rest assured, you are at the best place in the world for this procedure.  A couple quick tips.  The hotel right next door has a hot-tub (you're welcome...you can sneak over there and use it, nobody cares) but wait a few weeks for your wounds to heal up.  Have the PT's wrap your walker handles with padding.  Make sure you get sessions for PT with Mike Thompson, he pushes you hard, but you'll get maximum gains if you get him.  He is the one Paley assigns to people if they are starting to have any troubleshooting or are falling behind in any capacity.  Stretch at home frequently!!  When in the hospital, if they ask if you have pain...say yes to the drugs!  St. Mary's hospital food is great.  You're going to meet a lot of nice fellow LL'ers in the lobby at Hilton, so don't be shy.  Get used to sleeping on your back for a few weeks, or losing many hours of sleep altogether.  Bring a Firestick with you if  you want to watch all your streaming and such.  Eat tons of protein, as you are stretching and ripping all the soft tissues and muscle tissue, so you must replenish.  You will lose tons of weight without even trying.  Ration your Oxy pills, as they will not prescribe any more other than the initial amount you get.  Your glutes will feel like jelly and be sore from the IT-band release, don't panic, all this goes away during the process.  A few days or weeks in you may ask, "what on earth did I get myself into?"  Just keep going and you will soon realize this was an awesome decision and you will be so proud of yourself.  Don't hesitate to talk to Angelique, she's awesome and will be your nurse-navigator through the whole process.  If they have the International Thanksgiving event...go to that at the Institute (although they may not have it this year because of covid).  Keep us updated!!!!  I know this is all scattered, guess I'm just excited for people when they decide to commit and go for it, rather than some people on here who talk about it for years and just let time escape.  C-Ya!

Hi AllinStryde, hope you are doing well and thank you soooo much for the tips!!
I'm very excited and also nervous for the upcoming surgery.
Besides the pain from the surgery, I'm pretty curious about the scars. Are they very noticeable and do they fade away over the years?

Tartar

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 10:32:20 PM »

Hi AllinStryde, hope you are doing well and thank you soooo much for the tips!!
I'm very excited and also nervous for the upcoming surgery.
Besides the pain from the surgery, I'm pretty curious about the scars. Are they very noticeable and do they fade away over the years?
You should find 4 little scars at the hip level (lateral, made to inser the nail and screws), 2 little scars slightly lower on the surface of the thigh (front and lateral, made for the IT band release) and the last 2 in the middle height of the thigh (for the other screws)

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 11:14:27 PM »

You should find 4 little scars at the hip level (lateral, made to inser the nail and screws), 2 little scars slightly lower on the surface of the thigh (front and lateral, made for the IT band release) and the last 2 in the middle height of the thigh (for the other screws)

So 8 incisions in total? Is it for both legs or each leg has 8 incisions? I should have asked this question during my consultation.

Tartar

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 11:35:21 PM »

Yes 8 in every leg...for the band release maybe you could find even just one. Anyway there’s no problem, surely in the Paley institute they are very skilled and as less invasive as possible. Scars are the smallest problem in my opinion.

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 12:19:06 AM »

Yes 8 in every leg...for the band release maybe you could find even just one. Anyway there’s no problem, surely in the Paley institute they are very skilled and as less invasive as possible. Scars are the smallest problem in my opinion.

Yeah. I think maybe they can be improved by laser treatment later.

farfan21

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 04:37:29 AM »

good luck bro

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 11:14:10 PM »

Finished my surgery today and feeling good!
I arrived around 6 am in the morning. Some paper work. They gave me some pain meds and setup IV. Talked with anesthesiologist. Then they shaved my legs and being me to the operation room.
The next thing I know is waking up in the recovery room. I remember I talked with Dr Paley and Angelique briefly and then got transferred to my private room.
Slept a lot today and I just finished my dinner. Food is okay.
Pain is around 2-3 now. the nurse asked me to let her know if I start to feel more pain and she can give me different/more pain meds.

snowcloud

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 11:23:41 PM »

Congratulations buddy and good luck for the journey!!!

brondo

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 01:03:07 AM »

Congrats to you stryde2020! Please keep us updated on your journey, very curious how everything turns out and good luck with everything.

-brondo

BelowTheMean

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 02:28:59 AM »

Finished my surgery today and feeling good!
I arrived around 6 am in the morning. Some paper work. They gave me some pain meds and setup IV. Talked with anesthesiologist. Then they shaved my legs and being me to the operation room.
The next thing I know is waking up in the recovery room. I remember I talked with Dr Paley and Angelique briefly and then got transferred to my private room.
Slept a lot today and I just finished my dinner. Food is okay.
Pain is around 2-3 now. the nurse asked me to let her know if I start to feel more pain and she can give me different/more pain meds.

Congrats on the first step! Keep us updated.
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

StrydetoSucceed

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 06:30:47 PM »

Hey Bud- I got my surgery done on 24th with Dr Paley. PM me whenever you get a chance..
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde)
Surgery: Sep 24 2020
Starting height: 5'5 / 165cm 
Goal - 8 cm (5'8 / 173 cm)

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 03:30:25 AM »

I got discharged today.
The hospital experience was great. To my surprise, the pain was very manageable.
On surgery day, I still had some numbness due to the anaesthesia.
On day 2, I took one 5 mg oxycodone before PT.
On day 3, I took two tylenol before PT.
On day 4, I did not use any pain meds.
And I did not use any IV pain meds after surgery. The pain's around 0-1 if I do not move, increased to 2-3 while walking.
Now I still feel my legs are very weak, sometimes sore and stiff. Hopefully they're getting better everyday.

brondo

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 06:44:50 AM »

That's great that you got discharged without complications. Are you staying with a caretaker or someone you know?

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 09:15:53 PM »

That's great that you got discharged without complications. Are you staying with a caretaker or someone you know?
Yes I hired a caregiver

brondo

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 12:49:42 AM »

Yes I hired a caregiver

Do you mind giving a bit more detail into how to hire a caregiver? Is there a screening process for you to choose a caregiver, or did Dr. Paley have a recommended list of caregivers to take care of you? Did you hire more than one caregiver to rotate throughout the day or is it just one caregiver that stays with you for the next few weeks? I'm asking because I'm worried if I hire a caretaker that the person will be untrustworthy (like steal something from me or wouldn't do their job properly), or they wouldn't know what to do in certain situations if things get bad.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 08:56:01 PM »

Do you mind giving a bit more detail into how to hire a caregiver? Is there a screening process for you to choose a caregiver, or did Dr. Paley have a recommended list of caregivers to take care of you? Did you hire more than one caregiver to rotate throughout the day or is it just one caregiver that stays with you for the next few weeks? I'm asking because I'm worried if I hire a caretaker that the person will be untrustworthy (like steal something from me or wouldn't do their job properly), or they wouldn't know what to do in certain situations if things get bad.

Yes I hired a caregiver

I'm also interested in any information you have to share about hiring a caretaker. What do you think that you absolutely need them for and do you need them for 24 hours a day?

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 07:10:09 PM »

I chose the one recommended by Paley Institute. You just need to talk to the coordinator, she handles the assignment of caregiver. I have 3 rotates. If for some reason you do not like one of your caregivers, just let the coordinate know.

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 07:12:46 PM »

I still have them help me go to PT and some other simple tasks. Usually you need them for the first 1 - 2 weeks.

brondo

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 07:33:40 PM »

Thank you so much!

vicky_wu011111

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »

hello想问问可以加个微信吗?😂

stryde2020

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2020, 02:31:48 AM »

Had my first doctor follow up after surgery yesterday. Everything looks good. I’m at 15mm according to the X-ray. I don’t feel much pain now. Continue PT and self stretching everyday.

infinity&beyond

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2021, 01:02:10 AM »

Any follow up?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up