Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Nic Gay (Fremont, California)  (Read 2317 times)

precice strider

Dr. Nic Gay (Fremont, California)
« on: September 21, 2020, 06:33:29 PM »

Silicon Valley Orthopedics (SVO) is one of the few west coast practices offering this procedure.

“Lengthening is a journey that we go on together. Due to new technology, we can lengthen bones completely inside the body. No external hardware is required. Patients can walk again within a few days of surgery, making our journey together much more enjoyable than in the past.”
– Nic Gay MD

Would increasing your height boost your self-confidence? Many people with shorter stature dream of being taller, and now, that dream can become a reality. Limb lengthening surgery is available at Silicon Valley Orthopaedics in Fremont, CA, performed by our experienced orthopedic surgical team.

Dr. Nic Gay ranks among the top orthopedic surgeons and one of the few orthopedic practices to offer elective limb lengthening surgery. This orthopedic procedure can be life-changing for those who feel their height is holding them back in their personal or professional life. Using the most advanced medical technology and techniques, the orthopedic team at Silicon Valley Orthopaedics can help achieve up to 3 inches of added height using minimally-invasive procedures. This procedure can help our patients achieve their goals – we call it Reach New Heights, as it does exactly that for our patients.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does the procedure cost?
Femoral Lengthening costs $100,000 for both sides: includes all implants, OR time, anesthesia, xrays and clinic visits.
Tibial Lengthening costs $100,000 for both sides: includes all implants, OR time, anesthesia, xrays and clinic visits.
If muscle releases such as IT band, gastrocnemius or hamstrings as well as nail removal (which may be done electively 2 years after initial procedure) are additional costs if performed.

How much height can be gained?
The femur can be lengthened 3 inches over about 3 months. The tibia can later be lengthened 2 inches over 3 months. Stretching is required throughout and tendon releases may be required if stretching alone is inadequate.

How long has the procedure been around?
The procedure for femoral nail insertion has been regularly used to fix femur fractures for the past 4 decades. Dr. Gay has been performing the procedure for 15 years.

Why is this now possible?
New technology allows the lengthening device to now be completely internal. The nail is slowly lengthened using a magnetic lengthening device at 1mm per day. The new design and metal of the device allows for weight bearing during lengthening.

How big are the incisions?
A 1 inch incision is made just above the hip with three smaller 1 cm incisions on the lateral aspect of the leg.

Can I walk after surgery?
Yes. Crutches will be used for comfort and for partial weight bearing for the first few days. Full weight bearing can be expected within a few days of surgery.

How long does the surgery take?
Actually procedure takes about an hour, or about 30 minutes per side. The total time at the surgery center will be roughly 3 hours.

Where is the surgery performed?
The surgery can be performed at one of our surgery centers or a local hospital. This will be decided by the patient and Dr. Gay based on patient needs.

How long should I plan to be in the silicon area?
At least one week for proper followup and training. This can be adjusted based on travel requirements and decided between Dr. Gay and patient.

What preop evaluations are required?
An in-person visit with Dr. Gay is required before selecting a date for surgery. We will do measurable X-rays, discuss the surgery and answer all questions. Dr. Gay also requires a phone call directly with the physical therapist who will be working with you after surgery.

What is required postop?
At least 1 visit with Dr. Gay is required postop to make followup plans and ensure the patient understands all posted protocols.

Will I have pain after?
Pain is expected to be minimal due to the small incisions and stability of the construct after surgery. The magnetic lengthening sessions performed 4 times daily at home do not cause pain.

What do I have to do before surgery?
A program of stretching the hamstrings, quadriceps and IT band is required on a daily basis for 3 months prior to surgery. Dr. Gay will explain this and confirm compliance prior to surgery.

What do I have to do after surgery?
Continued stretching is required for 3 months or more after surgery. Dr. Gay will assess this for each patient and confirm compliance.

How do I find a physical therapist?
We will help you select the appropriate physical therapist for your visits after surgery. Dr. Gay will speak to and correspond with them directly after surgery.

Do I need to bring any xrays or imaging?
If you have had any previous imaging please bring it with you to your first appointment. Regardless X-rays will be required in the office on first visit for proper
measuring and surgical planning.

How do I begin the process?
Call us today at 888-444-1599.
Height dysphoria since 2008. (age 5)
Hoping to undergo STRYDE 8cm femurs when I can afford it.
164 cm with a wingspan of 166cm
Goal: 5'7.5 (172+) or taller, but hopefully 5'8 (173)
https://www.instagram.com/precice_strider/

precice strider

Re: Dr. Nic Gay (Fremont, California)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 04:45:32 AM »

It appears that this clinic used to just be a normal "sports" orthopedic clinic that just decided they wanted to start offering CLL.

Funny thing is that I was in the Bay Area when I first both googled CLL and started seriously considering it.
Height dysphoria since 2008. (age 5)
Hoping to undergo STRYDE 8cm femurs when I can afford it.
164 cm with a wingspan of 166cm
Goal: 5'7.5 (172+) or taller, but hopefully 5'8 (173)
https://www.instagram.com/precice_strider/

Jcorleone

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 06:25:21 PM »

They need to prove theirselves before asking this much price. They may have knowledge but too new in Cosmetic Limb Lengthening Surgeries.
Former forumist, Orthopedic equipment supplier to Europe and US.

Beemer m3

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 11:20:53 PM »

I wonder if there's any update on this doctor. Next to my hometown. Would be awesome to do.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

Thorfinnn

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 03:45:18 AM »

100k for femurs and 100k for tibias really?? Does paley even charge that much. I haven’t heard of this surgeon at all or being recommended by other surgeons odd to charge that much.

DonBones

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:05:30 AM »

100k for femurs and 100k for tibias really?? Does paley even charge that much. I haven’t heard of this surgeon at all or being recommended by other surgeons odd to charge that much.

There will be costs that are outside of his control, such as anaesthesia, hospital costs etc. The doctor's fee is usually just a fraction, perhaps a fourth, of the full price.
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation
Pages: [1]   Go Up