Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Giotikas Femurs Stryde - Pain  (Read 3289 times)

AppleFanBoy

Dr. Giotikas Femurs Stryde - Pain
« on: November 01, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »

It’s 5:30 a.m. The sun hasn’t risen yet and a taxi is called in order to get to the hospital.  You are somewhat drowsy from the night before given the lack of sleep due to your mind rushing all night about the surgery.

Blood clots, fat embolism, pulmonary embolism, non-union, no more legs, death?,  what the fxck am I doing here…

You arrive at the hospital after a 25 minute taxi drive, hand over the driver 20 Euros and proceed to make your way into the hospital.  The nurses take you into a room and ask you supplementary questions.  Then they take room you will be staying in after surgery, which is shared by two other local patients who are at the hospital for various reasons.  Possibly orthopedic related but unsure.

You look at your watch and it is 6:05 and you eagerly wait.  The room is feels colder now.  Your hands and feet start getting colder and the desperate attempt to warm them up is failing. Now you are sitting there changed in the hospital gown, getting colder by the second just wishing someone will take you to the operating room.  You are now freezing and shivering, and the thoughts rush back. 

What am I about to do? Am I going to be cold forever? Is this how it will feel for the next 3 months?  Can I opt out now? NO, am I crazy… what happens if there is an infection? What about blood clots? At least it’ll be a painless death… wait no, the legs will probably be in pain.  Man, this is crazy…

You come back to reality as you faintly hear a nurse calling your name multiple times to get you into a roller to take you to the operating room. You get up and onto the roller and are taken down to the operating room while the cold is still penetrating your feet and hands. It’s painful almost like a stinging pain.  You try and speak to the nurse to cover your feet with the blanket for comfort but words don’t come out of your mouth. As you enter the room, you are met with Dr.Giotikas and the anesthesiologist who immediately reassure you that everything is going to be okay.  The mask goes on your face and you are comforted with the hand of the anesthesiologist…

You wake up and you see Dr.Giotikas standing over you.  He pats you on the shoulder telling you everything went well.  Still fatigued from the anesthesia, your eyes struggle to stay open as you are rolled down to your room.  You get transferred on to your bed and lay there breathing ever so slowly.  Your eyes become too heavy and you sink deeper into the bed. Your mind fades away into emptiness as you fall into a deep sleep.

Emotional, Physical, Pain

V21

Re: Dr. Giotikas Femurs Stryde - Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 04:24:52 PM »

Good luck man, I'm sure everything will go as planned

AnotherShorty

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 08:16:20 PM »

Hi AFB,

You have completed the hardest part so congratulations!!
I think you are doing this alone so I understand the source of emotional pain.
About the physical pain,  how bad is it? I thought Dr G’s pain management was alright.
Remember that you will be a new person when this all ends so keep strong and this community will always be there to support you...

Best Regards
We need advancements in LL, and I need money, time, strength and opportunity !!

jem_semarc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »

Hi Apple,

Amazing piece of writing. Looking forward to what’s next!
Stryde on Femurs in Jan/2021 with Dr. Giotikas - currently @ 5 ft 5, goal height 5 ft 8.

KrP1

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 09:32:15 PM »

Good luck , we are happy for you. Keep us updated bro.

RB

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:39:52 AM »

Hi Apple,

Amazing piece of writing. Looking forward to what’s next!

Agreed, terrific writing style. The scariest part is out of the way and now you begin a great journey. Looking forward to reading another Giotikas diary.

All the best man!
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Sunshine

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 05:54:48 AM »

Good luck AppleFanBoy!
Stick to PT and a healthy diet and I'm sure you will reach your goal.

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »

Thank you all for the kind words! I wanted to write in detail exactly how I felt leading up to the surgery.  There is no sugar coating it, it is a daunting and tough process. 

One major piece of advice.  You will need some sort of support system for the first week ATLEAST.  It is mentally and physically exhausting.  I had gone into the surgery without telling a single soul and I regretted it. Even a diary like this could be your support system.  A group of others who are also doing LL currently could be a support system.  Reach out to people here in the forum and if you can, have your parents or close friends who you can trust in on it.  Trust me on this.

On to the experience…
The first week was hell. The most pain I’ve ever experienced in my life.  I thought it was never going to end. 

The very first day after the surgery was completed, I was stuck in bed for the entire day.  Legs were heavy and every movement was agonizing.  What made the process easier were the nurses who were beyond helpful.  Exceeded my expectations with always being on time and friendly with any requests.  It felt as if they genuinely cared for you and was not just “doing their job” for the sake of it. 

Dr. Giotikas walks in and greeted me early on the second day. He helped me attempt to move my legs and the motions I should be practicing but my legs were throbbing in pain.  It was a solid 8-9/10 pain.  The motion was to bend you knees up to 90 degrees from a straight position. It was apparently supposed to be doable but not for me.  He advised me a physiotherapist would come later in the evening to help me walk. Time passes by as I’m staring at the ceiling drowsy with the pain killers that the nurses give.  There is no willpower to look at your phone or do anything but try and sleep.  Literally. The next few days felt like this. You’re lying in bed just surrounded with thoughts.  This is why I mention having a support group who you can reach out to and talk to.  Dr. Giotikas and the physiotherapist walk in to help me walk. They sit me up on the side of the bed for the first time and man it was PAINFUL.  The motion from having your legs straight to then having them bent 90 degrees sitting on the side of the bed felt as if your muscles were ripping apart.  I attempt to stand up and hold on to the walker and it was possible but a sharp throbbing pain shot up my right leg and I apparently passed out standing. The pain was a solid 10/10 even more if I could rate make a higher scale.  I wake up and Dr. Giotikas and the physiotherapist are standing over me as I’m back to lying on the bed.  He tells me that I passed out and that we will try again tomorrow.  I was filled with disappointment thinking I’d be superior in recovery because of my flexibility and leg strength from before but man was I wrong.

The day goes by again staring at the ceiling, checking my phone a couple times and looking around at the other patients in the room.  One thing was that, no offence to the Greek community, but they are extremely loud.  It was tough sharing a room at times when they would have family over.  It would get very loud and impossible to sleep.  Maybe the sounds are exaggerated since I was in such a weak state but it was constantly loud and the lights would be left on.  They would watch TV late at night at max volume which would then again affect my sleep.  I might be nitpicking here but I would like to list my experience on how I truly felt during my stay. Today is the day I try to walk again.  The physiotherapist helps me sit on the side of the bed and lets me stay there for about 10 minutes. This helps me to warm up my legs.  Then as soon as he comes back, he makes me stand with the help of the walker. I stood there as my legs were shaking with 90 percent of my weight on my triceps. As I slowly put more and more weight on to my feet, I feel the sharp pain rushing up my right leg.  I start to feel light headed all of a sudden with the pain and inform the physiotherapist.  I could see myself passing out again.  He quickly sits me back in bed, raises my leg back into a sleeping position and I fall into a deep sleep exhausted from the very little movement that was performed.  A way to describe the exhaustion is for anyone who works out.  After a very big leg day, you often feel very light headed and exhausted to the legs. This was the exact feeling but 10 times that.  And you feel it instantly for the smallest task such as standing up on your feet.

At this point I didn’t know what I was going to do.  I was progressing very slowly. I was not walking yet nor was I even standing for 10 seconds. There were two more hospital days before I get released back to my AirBNB. 

On the 3rd day, skipping all the dull parts of lying in bed eagerly waiting for the painkillers.  Unable to move my legs much even at this point.  The physiotherapist comes back to help my walk.  I do the usual where I sit on the side of the bed for 10 minutes, then attempt to stand on the walker.  I finally was able to do it.  I was standing on the walker, still with most of my weight held by my triceps.  I managed to take a few steps but the sharp pain of someone stabbing a knife into the right leg was still there.  I tried to put all my weight onto my left leg so it would reduce the pain on the right and it was working.  However, after taking about 5-6 steps I was feeling dizzy once again.  I quickly returned to bed and fell back into a deep sleep. As the evening approached, I still in the last few days have not went to Number 2 yet.  At this point I needed to and called a male nurse to help me go to the bathroom.  I had felt confident and strong at this point that I was able to get out of bed and go to Number 2.  The nurse brought a rolling commode toilet seat and attempted to transfer me directly from the bed to the seat.  This transfer was another one of the most painful experiences in my life. I was shaking vigorously as he was transferring me due to the pain and as soon as I sat on the hard plastic commode toilet seat, it was unbearable pain.  I passed out again apparently.  I woke up in bed with a 3-4 nurses surrounding me calling my name to make sure I was awake and alert.  I answered them and they did a few checkups and took bloodwork.  I hated how it felt. To be completely useless in bed.  It was almost depressing how much pain it was and how useless I felt. Once again, the nurses are godsend. So friendly and always there for you. They were one of the things keeping me going.

Quick recap of day 4.  I still could not walk the whole day.  I think pain was gradually getting better as today I could go to the bathroom for Number 2 by taking steps from first into the walker then sitting in the rolling commode toilet seat.  The pain today was still 8-9/10 for every movement and was consistently 9/10 while sitting on the toilet seat.  For the next day you had many option on how you could go home. 
1.   You can go home alone in a taxi.
2.   You can hire a nurse to help you go home and setup and any other tasks.  The nurse was there at your service for however long you would like to have them and they could help you with anything you need.
3.   Stay in the hospital for additional days until you are ready to go home.

I was actually recommended by the doctor that I could take another day in the hospital due to the slow progress I had made.  I instead decided to hire a nurse to take me home. This was something I regretted later on.  I wished I had stayed in the hospital for an additional few days until I could independently walk.   Or at least had a nurse with me during the day to help me with food, water and going to the bathroom.  The essentials.  If I had to do it again, I would FOR SURE stay in the hospital (especially if you are doing this alone) or have the nurse with you full time until you can walk.  The additional amount of money you pay is almost negligible compared to the cost of the surgery. Please do not make the mistake I did.  The first few days at home after the hospital is a whole other story on its own.  I’m not sure how I’ll take this diary.  I might just be writing quick recaps of the days or so. 

The one thing to keep in mind is after the first week to week and a half, life gets tremendously better.  It went from the worst pain of my life and feeling useless/semi-depressed to feeling amazing with very little pain in comparison. It felt like the days at the hospital were never ending but It really does get better fast.  Just give it a week. 

Also another note is that I’ve spoken to quite a few patients here and not everyone experienced the pain I did.  More than half the patients did not experience much pain the first week and were able to walk normally.   I guess everybody is different and how your body reacts to the surgery is unique.  Mine was for the worse but now I’m glad it’s over.

F_99

• Height Communist
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 08:44:24 PM »

One thing was that, no offence to the Greek community, but they are extremely loud.  It was tough sharing a room at times when they would have family over.
That is true, can confirm.

Good luck AppleFanBoy.
Looking for an alternative.

AnotherShorty

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »

Thanks for sharing AFB...

Frankly, I am extremely frightened after reading your experience... Highly disappointed that you felt so much pain that u passed out 2-3 times... That makes me think if I shud choose Dr G!
I mean that is not a good pain management as compared to Debiprasad’s.
Nice to hear that you are coping up with the pain and getting better day by day!!
May you get through this process archiving the best possible outcome without further pain...

Will wait for further updates...

Best regards,

We need advancements in LL, and I need money, time, strength and opportunity !!

Hatch

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »

What kind pain management Giotikas offers? Has any other Giotikas patient ever passed out? And is it normal for you feel so extreme pain?

BelowTheMean

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »

I'm about two weeks after you. A bit scary to read that last entry leading up to my surgery. Hope you feel less pain soon though! Are you all alone in your Airbnb now? Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 07:45:13 PM »

It was unfortunate that I had experienced more pain.  Out of the 6 other patients that I connected here in Greece, 1 other felt extreme pain and could not walk. Please note that this one was a quad patient.  1 did not feel much pain but could not walk, but the other 4 did not feel much pain and could walk the first few days after surgery. None to my knowledge have passed out.  Dr. Giotikas had openly told me that I was quite slow in the process but after the first week you should be back to normal which did happen.

The painkillers were effective when I was in bed.  It felt amazing but as soon as I had to do any sort of movement, my right leg shot up with pain during my stay in the hospital.

I have been recovering quite well now. 
Day 7 was the first day I took a few steps and walked. 
Day 8 I could walk alone and travel alone to the PT centre.

I think the PT centre is aiding and stimulating my recovery.  They have a zero gravity treadmill that helps you walk unaided right away.  They perform deep stretches on your legs.  The stretches are painful at times but in a sense a good pain.  Making your muscles more flexible.  PT is 4 times a week and 2-3 hours long at a time.

averagegirl

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 06:18:36 AM »

Hi AppleFanBoy. Do you know why you experienced so much pain? I had my surgery a few days ago and I don't feel any pain really. It's just one leg, which is on the sensitive site. So if I'm not careful why walking I do have a little pain. Maybe 2/10...

I'm really curious for the reason, why everybody experiences different levels of pain. Did the doctor mention something?

Arcon

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

When you say "zero gravity treatmill" do you mean somthing like this https://www.alterg.com/? I googled it.
How does it help?

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 09:03:51 AM »

Hi AppleFanBoy. Do you know why you experienced so much pain? I had my surgery a few days ago and I don't feel any pain really. It's just one leg, which is on the sensitive site. So if I'm not careful why walking I do have a little pain. Maybe 2/10...

I'm really curious for the reason, why everybody experiences different levels of pain. Did the doctor mention something?

I honestly think it was just a “me” thing. I’ve talked to other patients and they were the same as you. Not so much pain the first week. I think I was just unlucky in terms of how my body reacted? And how my body interprets pain? I guess that is the most logical reasoning behind why I felt more pain than others.

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 09:07:34 AM »

When you say "zero gravity treatmill" do you mean somthing like this https://www.alterg.com/? I googled it.
How does it help?

Yes, this is the exact treadmill they have at the facility. Essentially it lifts you up so you have less weight when walking. For example, if you are 150lbs, you can set the treadmill to have 50% body weight meaning you are now 75lbs. It helps you walk right away. I’m assuming as the weeks go on, you will keep adding weight until you reach 100% body weight to help you walk and build muscle overtime.

anaverageperson

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »

AFB thanks for the diary. Amazing writing, you have a great knack for it  :). Sorry to hear that your experience was so brutal! But it is helpful.

You mentioned that you were under the impression that you wouldn't suffer as much as others due to your superior leg strength and mobility. Do you mind if I ask what your stats and background are? Height, weight, age, athletic background, etc. for informational purposes? Have you had bones ever broken before? Have you ever had problems dealing with pain in your lifetime? I'm planning on doing this surgery soon as well and I'm not sure if there's a correlation between athleticism and pain experienced post surgery.

Thanks for anything you're able to offer and I'm wishing you the best in your recovery and lengthening goals. What are you aiming to reach?
Goal: +3.75cm tibias + 3.75cm femurs with STRYDE

SpeedDialer

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 01:52:14 AM »

Thanks for making this diary. I've never been to Europe before. I'm American.

1. Are there fees associated with currency exchange/going abroad? How did you minimize things?

2. What were some expenses you didn't anticipate?

3. What's your advice on finding a good place? I heard Meska isn't very good

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »

AFB thanks for the diary. Amazing writing, you have a great knack for it  :). Sorry to hear that your experience was so brutal! But it is helpful.

You mentioned that you were under the impression that you wouldn't suffer as much as others due to your superior leg strength and mobility. Do you mind if I ask what your stats and background are? Height, weight, age, athletic background, etc. for informational purposes? Have you had bones ever broken before? Have you ever had problems dealing with pain in your lifetime? I'm planning on doing this surgery soon as well and I'm not sure if there's a correlation between athleticism and pain experienced post surgery.

Thanks for anything you're able to offer and I'm wishing you the best in your recovery and lengthening goals. What are you aiming to reach?

Thanks anaverageperson! Appreciate the compliments. 
I have very similar stats to a member on this forum called Asian.  Also similar flexibility and athletic background. He was maybe a bit more athletic. He did not suffer any pain during the first week. He was also able to walk during the first few days after surgery without any issues.  I really don't think it has to do with ones stats but instead how the body reacts.  Basically if you get lucky or not.  So to answer your question, based on the people who I have talked with, I strongly believe there is no correlation between athleticism and pain experienced post surgery.

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »

Thanks for making this diary. I've never been to Europe before. I'm American.

1. Are there fees associated with currency exchange/going abroad? How did you minimize things?

2. What were some expenses you didn't anticipate?

3. What's your advice on finding a good place? I heard Meska isn't very good

1. Yes, however I used a website called xe.com for all transfers.  This saved me a ton of money because their exchange rates are very competitive and they do not charge any wire transfer fees outgoing to any country that you would normally pay with a local bank.

2. I expected all expenses.  I can't think of any that I did not expect.  Some you may want to think about is the home care assistant/nurse for the days shortly after the hospital.  This isn't so much either way.

3.  I searched on AirBNB for a place.  I have to say that I wasn't aware that there were certain places to avoid.  I lucked out on a great place that is modern and very quiet.  Any place near the PT centre should be alright.  You will have to send your choices to the Giotikas's Assistant and she can recommend places as well.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:34 PM »

It's been a couple more days, have you started lengthening yet? How's the overall pain while using the ERC?
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »

I started lengthening a while back.  I'm currently at 2.5 cm (25 mm).  I rarely feel anything while using the ERC.  At rare moments I feel some discomfort that is annoying and lasts at least an hour.  I'm very much still in the early stages so haven't experienced much tightness or and issues during PT yet. 

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2020, 12:05:47 AM »

Currently at 3.5cm (35mm). The PT is great and constantly pushing me more and more. I feel significant improvements every week. Legs are getting tighter and I suspect they will be even worse after 4-5 cm.

I can walk up stairs unassisted (not holding on to anything)
I can now do a squat unassisted and come back up in 3 sets of 10 reps (Not 90 degrees a bit higher)
I can walk without crutches somewhat well with a slight limp caused by the left leg. My left leg is lagging in terms of strength compared to the right.

Special thanks to Maria the head nurse for helping me out and everyone at PT including the patients who are always a pleasure to speak to and motivation in general. Asian from this forum also is a pioneer who always has great advice and his infamous line, “Don’t limit yourself” 8).

Will try to post more updates. Let me know if anyone has any questions. 

BelowTheMean

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 01:28:13 AM »

Currently at 3.5cm (35mm). The PT is great and constantly pushing me more and more. I feel significant improvements every week. Legs are getting tighter and I suspect they will be even worse after 4-5 cm.

I can walk up stairs unassisted (not holding on to anything)
I can now do a squat unassisted and come back up in 3 sets of 10 reps (Not 90 degrees a bit higher)
I can walk without crutches somewhat well with a slight limp caused by the left leg. My left leg is lagging in terms of strength compared to the right.

Special thanks to Maria the head nurse for helping me out and everyone at PT including the patients who are always a pleasure to speak to and motivation in general. Asian from this forum also is a pioneer who always has great advice and his infamous line, “Don’t limit yourself” 8).

Will try to post more updates. Let me know if anyone has any questions. 

My left leg is also weaker than my right leg! The squats seem pretty impressive since I have very limited ability there. My unaided walk is getting better as well. Do you think that increased tightness in the upcoming month or two will make your mobility worse? Or does it not matter as long as you maintain the minimum flexibility required to walk? How has your painkiller usage been in the last week or two?

missyoulikecrazy

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 07:26:14 AM »

Wow looks like the stryde is indeed a gamechanger-enabling you to walk on your own after such a short period of time is awesome

AppleFanBoy

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 10:26:35 AM »

My left leg is also weaker than my right leg! The squats seem pretty impressive since I have very limited ability there. My unaided walk is getting better as well. Do you think that increased tightness in the upcoming month or two will make your mobility worse? Or does it not matter as long as you maintain the minimum flexibility required to walk? How has your painkiller usage been in the last week or two?

I would advise against trying to do squats so early on.  I was told that only after the first month to attempt it and I had tried earlier but it caused a lot of pain.  You are still healing from the surgery so walking and stretches is enough for now.  Along with simple exercises that your PT gives you.
From what the other patients are experiencing, the increased tightness will make mobility and strength worse unfortunately.  I don't think it matters much as long as you can walk.
Painkiller usage has decreased after passing the first month.  I don't try to limit my self with the painkillers however and I will take them as I feel necessary.

Wow looks like the stryde is indeed a gamechanger-enabling you to walk on your own after such a short period of time is awesome

Yea! Stryde is a game changer.  Being full weight bearing for most is a huge improvement from the last nail.  It allows your muscles to recover significantly faster.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 03:56:47 PM »

I would advise against trying to do squats so early on.  I was told that only after the first month to attempt it and I had tried earlier but it caused a lot of pain.  You are still healing from the surgery so walking and stretches is enough for now.  Along with simple exercises that your PT gives you.
From what the other patients are experiencing, the increased tightness will make mobility and strength worse unfortunately.  I don't think it matters much as long as you can walk.
Painkiller usage has decreased after passing the first month.  I don't try to limit my self with the painkillers however and I will take them as I feel necessary.

Thanks for the reply! I really hope I can limit my painkiller usage soon (or rather I really hope I'm in less pain soon so I can use less painkillers.) I tried getting up without support from a sitting position on a low bench during PT and failed miserably. That's the closest I've come to trying to squat. I can stand up with no support from sitting position on a higher bench with no problem though. Overall, it's good to hear that you're in a better position now than when you were at my current position. This helps me look forward optimistically.

AllAboutPerspective

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 10:20:11 PM »

Hey AppleFanBoy, how's everything going now?
Stryde Femurs w/ Dr. Giotikas Feb 2021

SpeedDialer

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2021, 04:57:36 AM »

Thanks!!!!!!!

This is xe? https://accounts.xe.com/signup?client_id=7v3mjop0iq74d7bdpgvn95r86d&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Ftransfer.xe.com%2Fsignup%2Fpersonal%2Fstep1&state=https%3A%2F%2Ftransfer.xe.com%3A9443%2Fsignup%2Fpersonal%2Fstep1

So its like a bank that charges you less for paying euros even if you have USD?

2. What are the worst things about xe.com in your opinion?

3. What are your thoughts on the most quiet but cost effective/safe neighborhoods to live in and what are your thoughts on AirBnB vs other options for finding a place?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 05:03:36 AM »

Should LL patients keep a bucket nearby their bed in case they need to emergency pee or emergency puke (From the pain)?

Or too dangerous in case they step in it and fall
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up