Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is "proportions" a legit reasoning to undergo LL?  (Read 1381 times)

reitso

• Visitor
Is "proportions" a legit reasoning to undergo LL?
« on: November 15, 2020, 02:54:07 AM »

Hello Fellow members of this LL-forum,
I'm a 25 years old male pharmacist and a medical student, but I'm not the typical poster/member because my height is already at 183 cm / 6'

I'm considering LL solely for proportions, a little background about it:

1) My wingspan is actually 191 cm / 6'3"
2) My leg to body ratio is at 0.47
3) My Tibia to femur ratio is 1.07
4) My right femur is 1 cm longer than the left femur (history of injury during my childhood, I think this difference is why only my right leg has flat foot)

If my femurs were 7-8 cm longer, number 1,2 and 3 would be normalized; therefore I should go with "Internal limb lengthening". But first I need to build enough flexibility of my lower limb joints and after COVID-19 current outspread gets in check again.

I want and I need your insights.

SartBimpson

Re: Is "proportions" a legit reasoning to undergo LL?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 03:51:24 AM »

I would say it is a very realistic reason, yes. If you can bear that financial responsibility then an 8cm increase with Stryde nail can be good for you. Otherwise you can seek other alternatives such as the LON method or even the Precice nail to fix your leg length discrepancy and make you more proportionate.

reitso

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 04:25:36 AM »

If you can bear that financial responsibility then an 8cm increase with Stryde nail can be good for you.

Can the "Stryde nail" method be used to lengthen a leg more than another (for number 4) ?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 05:19:14 AM »

I think only dwarves and discrepancy patients have "legit" reasons for doing LL.  The rest of us do it out of vanity.  So you don't need to invent reasons to justify LL, which is what I think you are doing for all but #4.

1 and 2: Here's our local weather girl who's about 5'6 - 5'7 with a nearly 6' wingspan.  Does she need LL?

3: Were your femur and tibia measurements done by a doctor, preferably on an x-ray?  Quite often people don't measure their femurs properly on here.

4: Great reason to do LL.  Go for it.

Iron_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 05:54:18 AM »

I think the first 2 points are not the reasons. 1. Wingspan of humans is longer than height on average. 2. 0.47 is an absolutely normal ratio of leg length to body length.
3 and 4 points may be the reasons, but it needs to be determined on the x-ray

reitso

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 06:02:34 AM »

1 and 2: Here's our local weather girl who's about 5'6 - 5'7 with a nearly 6' wingspan.  Does she need LL?
First, she's a free woman and can do whatever she wants, so I cannot say she "needs" LL or not; additionally, women are free to wear high heels (despite it destroying their vertebral column), which give off an illusion of longer legs.
Note: She almost always wear one in all her Instagram photos where she's standing upright, else she's doing the ballet feet pose (same result).

Were your femur and tibia measurements done by a doctor, preferably on an x-ray?  Quite often people don't measure their femurs properly on here.
3 and 4 points may be the reasons, but it needs to be determined on the x-ray
For the femur: I measured from the greater trochanter to above the patella
For the tibia: I measured from bellow the patella to middle of medial malleolus
(I can do it since I'm a medical student after all)
Next step will be the x-rays, way more accurate, I postponed it because I recently did a chest-CT (so I'm avoiding radiation at the moment)

4: Great reason to do LL.  Go for it.
Okay, can the "Stryde nail" method be used to lengthen a leg more than another or the nails are synchronized?

SartBimpson

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 06:42:29 AM »

Okay, can the "Stryde nail" method be used to lengthen a leg more than another or the nails are synchronized?
Well, technically yes you can lengthen more on one side of the leg (the shorter one) to match your other leg, but this has to be confirmed by x-ray. Although yes, you can, a Youtuber called Cyborg 4 Life did LL to fix his leg length discrepancy.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »

First, she's a free woman and can do whatever she wants, so I cannot say she "needs" LL or not

You can also do whatever you want as well.  So get LL if you want it, but you don't need it except on that one leg.

additionally, women are free to wear high heels (despite it destroying their vertebral column), which give off an illusion of longer legs.
Note: She almost always wear one in all her Instagram photos where she's standing upright, else she's doing the ballet feet pose (same result).

Which is why I posted that particular photo with no high heels / ballet / yoga posing.  Does she look bad in it?

For the femur: I measured from the greater trochanter to above the patella
For the tibia: I measured from bellow the patella to middle of medial malleolus

So in other words you stopped measuring the femur before the end of the femur, and started measuring the tibia before the start of the tibia.

(I can do it since I'm a medical student after all)

::)

They are always independent of each other even on patients with legs the same length.

reitso

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 08:50:50 PM »

So in other words you stopped measuring the femur before the end of the femur, and started measuring the tibia before the start of the tibia.

wrong (since for femur I started from just above the greater trochanter & for tibia right bellow the patella to the middle of lateral malleolus ~ fibular notch... but okay,
I'll currently get leaner (to a level I never reached before) and fix my flexibility, I'll then check with my doctor.
My only problem is fear of infection (I have an increased risk, not by much though ~ 5-10% above the general population, yet I just doubt my luck)

technically yes you can lengthen more on one side of the leg (the shorter one) to match your other leg, but this has to be confirmed by x-ray.
They are always independent of each other even on patients with legs the same length.
roger

Ghostfish

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 01:54:53 AM »

Personally, I don't think you have any good reason to undergo LL or CLL. 1-3 all belong to normal range. 4 could be a reason but still not too bad.  Many (perhaps almost all) ppl have a little bit of leg discrepancy.  When I did CLL, the doctor said my left leg is 0.8 cm is shorter than the right one. I even asked him whether it is better idea to make both legs even during lengthening.  He said it is no need since my body has adapted this for so many years without problem.  So I didn't correct it even though I could.
CLL is not a simple surgery and needs so much time, money, dedication, etc.  If I were you, I wouldn't do it.  Of course, at the end, it is all up to you.

reitso

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 04:40:09 AM »

4 could be a reason but still not too bad.  Many (perhaps almost all) ppl have a little bit of leg discrepancy.  When I did CLL, the doctor said my left leg is 0.8 cm is shorter than the right one. I even asked him whether it is better idea to make both legs even during lengthening.  He said it is no need since my body has adapted this for so many years without problem.  So I didn't correct it even though I could.
mine gives me a slight waddling gait + flat foot isolated to the right leg (the taller one) which is painful during any above normal activity.

Personally, I was intrigued because I figured that if I get my femurs longer by 7-8 cm, not a single proportion would get off the norm, rather they will be ideal; that's why I will push for internal LL.
But now (next few months) I will work on my athleticism and flexibility, then I'll proceed.

Hagane

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 07:14:23 PM »

it sounds like your an excellent candidate for limblengthening for LLD
which will be much cheaper that CLL as it may be covered by inurance

if possible get the internal nail to fix the discrepancy first
then down the line if you wanted to lengthen, you already have one nail in your leg, then pay for the other.
it may end up being cheaper as a stryde nail is about 20k per nail, and if one is covered by insurance, then you just need to cover the other nail/ surgery. you can always rebreak the bone after to finish lengthening on you short leg

Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

reitso

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »

it sounds like your an excellent candidate for limblengthening for LLD
which will be much cheaper that CLL as it may be covered by inurance

if possible get the internal nail to fix the discrepancy first
then down the line if you wanted to lengthen, you already have one nail in your leg, then pay for the other.
it may end up being cheaper as a stryde nail is about 20k per nail, and if one is covered by insurance, then you just need to cover the other nail/ surgery. you can always rebreak the bone after to finish lengthening on you short leg
True.

It's just I figured out that even if I lengthened my femurs by 7-8 cm, not only my tibia:femur ratio will set at 0.8 (worst case scenario "initially giving max for femur and min for tibia" of my estimations is the ideal/golden ratio), but also my leg:trunk, upper-body:lower-body, wingspan:total-height, shoe size:total height, etc.
^ these cannot be mere coincidences given my medical history and the average height of males in my entire family.

talleroneday

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 03:19:37 PM »

I think this is totally valid, also because your total will end up at around 190cm which isn't "terribly tall" either.

On a side note though, how do you plan to get the surgery while doing medicine if you're comfortable sharing? I'm on a medicine career track in the US and I heard it's very unusual to take a gap year during school or even the whole career in general unless it's some extenuating circumstances. Just curious how do you plan on going about it if that's okay :)

Kal el

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 04:48:52 PM »

Same way i will do maybe😅....coz m also a med student and when the time comes when m done studying..i will take a gap of like 1 or 1.5 years from everything in my life....just for this coz my goal is also a bit higher 11 cm (6+4) split.
Pages: [1]   Go Up