Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the disadvantages to doing precise 2 or precies 1 vs stryde?  (Read 811 times)

SpeedDialer

Precise 2 more likely to break (how much more likely?) and is not weighbearing, any other disadvantages? Longer recovery?

InFullStryde

Re: What are the disadvantages to doing precise 2 or precies 1 vs stryde?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »

Unfortunately, you cannot walk on precise 1/2 until 4 months or more.  Your CLL experience will be mostly in a wheelchair and walker and even with a walker, you must be careful to not stand with all your weight on the nails.  Your recovery will extend 2-3+ more months and you do carry a much greater risk of breaking the nail and that will be catastrophic and could potentially push back your goal a year or more.  Recovery to normal walking with Precise to normal walking can be as long as 7-9 months and up to a year depending on our PT discipline and other variables.

With Stryde you can walk on nails immediately and usually patients are able to walk within 1-2 weeks without assistance or only a cane/crutches/walker.  You have little to no risk of breaking a nail and you recover within 4-6 months to normal walking and life.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

Beemer m3

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »

Precice u would probably need to hire a care taker. And work longer hours. Stryde is about 10k more expensive. If u go overseas.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

SpeedDialer

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 04:32:52 AM »

Wait, stryde patients don't hire caretakers? Or only do for how many weeks?

6CMFemurs

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »

I did Precice 2 in 2014. My experience went like this:

Days 1-3 post op: Wheelchair
Lengthening process: 2.5 months to lengthen 6 CM using a walker. I weighed around 140 lbs at the time
Consolidation: 4 weeks on a walker plus 2 weeks on one crutch (one leg took a little bit longer to form bone bridge. During entire consolidation process I drove my car to work and gym. Just was super careful not to exceed WB restrictions.
5 months post op: Attended sister’s college graduation walking almost 100 percent normally (maybe a slight lump after strenuous exercise.
6 months post op: Started dating again
8-9 months post op: Did cross country road trip with buddies.

Hope this timeline helps

BelowTheMean

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »

I did Precice 2 in 2014. My experience went like this:

Days 1-3 post op: Wheelchair
Lengthening process: 2.5 months to lengthen 6 CM using a walker. I weighed around 140 lbs at the time
Consolidation: 4 weeks on a walker plus 2 weeks on one crutch (one leg took a little bit longer to form bone bridge. During entire consolidation process I drove my car to work and gym. Just was super careful not to exceed WB restrictions.
5 months post op: Attended sister’s college graduation walking almost 100 percent normally (maybe a slight lump after strenuous exercise.
6 months post op: Started dating again
8-9 months post op: Did cross country road trip with buddies.

Hope this timeline helps

Good summary, I'm giving myself 6 months from my surgery date to get back to "normal" in terms of walking gait.

Wait, stryde patients don't hire caretakers? Or only do for how many weeks?

I had a caretaker on call for the first two weeks. I mostly used them for transportation, but based on my recovery I probably could have gotten away with only using  them for transportation in the first three days out of the hospital.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on
Pages: [1]   Go Up