Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NuVasive Stryde stopped shipping  (Read 13663 times)

V21

Re: NuVasive Stryde stopped shipping
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2021, 04:32:07 PM »

The issue is that they said may/june, now july.... It's hard to trust. I could wait for Stryde until September, but this makes me consider taking Precice 2 in July

V21

« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2021, 08:31:55 AM »

Hey guys, I got new from Paley and he says that talking about cancer is nonsense, that all of this is due to corrosion at the junction of telescopic ends and it can cause an extra thickening of the bone. He said it happens in half or more of the cases, but he is not concerned because it goes away when removing the rods and it does not cause any serious issues.

pownzorgeek

« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2021, 04:06:52 PM »

Hey guys, I got new from Paley and he says that talking about cancer is nonsense, that all of this is due to corrosion at the junction of telescopic ends and it can cause an extra thickening of the bone. He said it happens in half or more of the cases, but he is not concerned because it goes away when removing the rods and it does not cause any serious issues.

Let's wait and see what the FDA or NHS will say, not Paley who has an obvious incentive for it to get back in the market.

Jamesy998

« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2021, 04:18:48 PM »

Similarly to LON, is it possible to keep the stryde nail or is it mandatory to remove it?
LON method | Dr. Halil Buldu | 2021
Diary | http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66007.0

permanentlybanned

« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »

You should remove it, but you can keep it in if you want. I don't know why you would want to besides not wanting to pay the removal surgery fee. Especially with this whole "unproved biological safety profile" controversy going on now with nuvasive nails.

The timing is not very important, which allows some freedom to choose when to remove it. some people get their nails removed in a year, some in 5 years. Sooner (given full consolidation) is obviously better, as there's just less chance of material going into your body, but it's not like if you don't remove within 2 years you'll get metal poisining or something. It's just over time, material may get absorbed into your body which is no bueno
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

Jamesy998

« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2021, 05:01:44 PM »

You should remove it, but you can keep it in if you want. I don't know why you would want to besides not wanting to pay the removal surgery fee. Especially with this whole "unproved biological safety profile" controversy going on now with nuvasive nails.

The timing is not very important, which allows some freedom to choose when to remove it. some people get their nails removed in a year, some in 5 years. Sooner (given full consolidation) is obviously better, as there's just less chance of material going into your body, but it's not like if you don't remove within 2 years you'll get metal poisining or something. It's just over time, material may get absorbed into your body which is no bueno

Im planning to keep it. Simple titanium rod that many people live with all their lives. I honestly don't mind it and I would also be saving myself from another surgery.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »

Yeah, there's a guy on here called Sweden who has his nails in for like 7 or 8 years already with no plans to remove it and he's doing fine apparently. I would probably just take a heavy metal blood test some years down the line in your life to see if the metals are leaking or if it's fine. Otherwise it's whatever and you should be okay (although I would definitely remove it if I had LL and advocate everyone to remove)

Keep in mind the surgery for removal is far easier than the insertion one, it's outpatient (usually) and people get back to full recovery within a week or two. And you might be a little lighter and swifter on your legs after removal ;) reasons to remove
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:37:20 PM by ghkid2021 »
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

TallerVL

• Visitor
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2021, 06:03:17 PM »

I see you haven’t mentally recovered from the pain caused by the surgery yet. Hang in there it’s almost done!!!

Tartar

« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »

There are many reasons to get rid of them. Not mandatory very soon, but plan to do it.

MeanGoal

« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2021, 06:42:26 PM »

The most important reasons to remove your internal rods.
1) If you get into an accident and damage your femurs, the rods can break and toxic fluids can spill into your body.
2) Accident again, but the orthopedic surgeon does not do CLL and will create a great obstacle in the emergency surgery.
3) You cannot get an MRI scan because of the magnetic properties.

Jamesy998

« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2021, 07:10:34 PM »

1) If you get into an accident and damage your femurs, the rods can break and toxic fluids can spill into your body.
2) Accident again, but the orthopedic surgeon does not do CLL and will create a great obstacle in the emergency surgery.

Titanium is a paramagnetic material that is not affected by the magnetic field of MRI. The risk of implant-based complications is very low, and MRI can be safely used in patients with implants and the rods in my legs are indeed titanium.

2. I have a relative with rods after an accident and I can assure you it has never been a problem.

pownzorgeek

« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »

Im planning to keep it. Simple titanium rod that many people live with all their lives. I honestly don't mind it and I would also be saving myself from another surgery.

Stryde is stainless steel, not titanium.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2021, 07:20:17 PM »

Stryde is stainless steel, not titanium.

Jamesy998 is not doing Stryde.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

HeightGain

« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2021, 07:21:42 PM »

The titanium part is MRI compatible. Precise 2 is not MRI compatible

RealLostSoul

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2021, 08:08:33 PM »

What are the cons of using Precise 2 instead of Stryde? What y‘all think?

V21

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2021, 08:11:22 PM »

What are the cons of using Precise 2 instead of Stryde? What y‘all think?
You won't walk until consolidation, it may take time

RealLostSoul

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2021, 08:20:18 PM »

You won't walk until consolidation, it may take time

Wheelchair or just crutches? And how long do you think does it take after the end of lengthening phase?

V21

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2021, 08:36:07 PM »

Wheelchair or just crutches? And how long do you think does it take after the end of lengthening phase?
It depends also on the nail size...  About time, at least two months post lenghtening as far as I know

6CMFemurs

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2021, 11:03:52 PM »

@RealDamagedLostSoul:

Not sure what the WB recommendations are for Precise 2.2 these days. This was my own experience in 2014 with Precise 2.0 at 22 years old...

1) Was 147 lbs (66/67 Kg) on operation day and went down to 129 lbs (58.5 Kg) over the course on lengthening.
2) From 3 days post-op, I never used a wheelchair again, walking everywhere with a walker.
3) I lengthened 6 Cm and switched from walker to one crutch at about 5 months, and full weight-bearing at 5.5 months.
4) At around the 7-month mark I was routinely walking long distances with a pretty normal gait.
5) By 8/9 months I had pretty much forgotten that I had ever done LL, even though my high-level athletism wasn't back to normal, daily functions were back to 100%.

I hear that 2.2 is stronger than 2.0 because they worked out a lot of the problems with the design. However, if a lot of P2's have broken they may have modified weight-bearing restrictions. Remember under 75 lbs per leg can easily be achieved if you are really conscious about shifting weight onto walker or crutches. I probably could have used crutches earlier, but I chose to use walker because of balance and to mitigate the risk of falling. I also started driving about 3.5 months post-op, and because I was well under 150 lbs after atrophy, I could stand up on my 2 feet and pump gas, transfer in and out of car, and perform basic functions like that.

RB

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2021, 11:15:39 PM »

@RealDamagedLostSoul:

Not sure what the WB recommendations are for Precise 2.2 these days. This was my own experience in 2014 with Precise 2.0 at 22 years old...

1) Was 147 lbs (66/67 Kg) on operation day and went down to 129 lbs (58.5 Kg) over the course on lengthening.
2) From 3 days post-op, I never used a wheelchair again, walking everywhere with a walker.
3) I lengthened 6 Cm and switched from walker to one crutch at about 5 months, and full weight-bearing at 5.5 months.
4) At around the 7-month mark I was routinely walking long distances with a pretty normal gait.
5) By 8/9 months I had pretty much forgotten that I had ever done LL, even though my high-level athletism wasn't back to normal, daily functions were back to 100%.

I hear that 2.2 is stronger than 2.0 because they worked out a lot of the problems with the design. However, if a lot of P2's have broken they may have modified weight-bearing restrictions. Remember under 75 lbs per leg can easily be achieved if you are really conscious about shifting weight onto walker or crutches. I probably could have used crutches earlier, but I chose to use walker because of balance and to mitigate the risk of falling. I also started driving about 3.5 months post-op, and because I was well under 150 lbs after atrophy, I could stand up on my 2 feet and pump gas, transfer in and out of car, and perform basic functions like that.

Do you think that using crutches for the entire distraction phase with precise is possible?
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

6CMFemurs

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2021, 11:23:23 PM »

Do you think that using crutches for the entire distraction phase with precise is possible?

You have to ask your surgeon. Not sure what the restrictions are these days. I was one of the first people ever to use precise 2. I am sure there has been a lot of trial and error since then.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2021, 12:09:13 AM »

Crutches is not a good idea because you are still weightbearing significantly. I mean it should be comparable, but a walker is also not a good idea. Any amount of standing will be pressure towards the fragile small precice nail. Non weightbearing nail is just no bueno to even stand. Sure you can do it but do it over and over again and you might risk bad things. The best thing is a wheelchair, unfortunately. Sadly stryde is just levels above the precice nail so it really sucks that they took it off the market.

I have my suspicions that Stryde will return very soon after determining that it's safe. Sooner then you would expect. I feel bad for everyone who planned on Stryde... It Is so sad. But I believe nuvasive lobbyists will get this back on the market asap

permanentlybanned

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2021, 01:44:35 AM »

MARKE credits

MARKE credits

V21

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »

I'm not sure about timelines man. Paley says there is corrosion in the telescopic ends, causing thicker bone. It does not cause issues, but they are freaked out because that should not be happening. They say July now, but 20 days ago they said may/june... I can wait to september but man, it's hard to trust

Tartar

« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2021, 11:55:52 AM »

These are the points
Crutches is not a good idea because you are still weightbearing significantly. I mean it should be comparable, but a walker is also not a good idea. Any amount of standing will be pressure towards the fragile small precice nail. Non weightbearing nail is just no bueno to even stand. Sure you can do it but do it over and over again and you might risk bad things. The best thing is a wheelchair, unfortunately. Sadly stryde is just levels above the precice nail so it really sucks that they took it off the market.

I have my suspicions that Stryde will return very soon after determining that it's safe. Sooner then you would expect. I feel bad for everyone who planned on Stryde... It Is so sad. But I believe nuvasive lobbyists will get this back on the market asap
It's really up to which nail size you fit and which and your weight, even the nail lenght is quite important. Every case is different.
Titanium is a paramagnetic material that is not affected by the magnetic field of MRI. The risk of implant-based complications is very low, and MRI can be safely used in patients with implants and the rods in my legs are indeed titanium.

2. I have a relative with rods after an accident and I can assure you it has never been a problem.
That's true titanium is not ferromagnetic but precice 2 is not fully titanium, Nuvasive expressly forbids any MRI exam for any patient with both precice 2 and stryde implants.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:37:56 PM by Tartar »

RealLostSoul

« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2021, 11:21:47 PM »

@RealDamagedLostSoul:

Thanks for the insights! I will discuss it with my doctor in about 2 weeks. I will see what he has to say about P2.2, thank god I am a very low weight guy, might come in handy after all.

They say July now, but 20 days ago they said may/june... I can wait to september but man, it's hard to trust

Well I drop all hopes for Stryde now, it‘s such a fate that it gets down exactly when I was finally able to do it. Postponing for me isn‘t possible, early July is the last date I could possibly do it, so I guess I have to take it up the butt and go with Precise.

pownzorgeek

« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »

So do we have any news from the FDA's meeting with Nuvasive?

RB

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »

So do we have any news from the FDA's meeting with Nuvasive?

Offical update will be tomorrow according to Debiparshad after my consult with him a few days ago. He said it’s likely going to be officially recalled but their not sure of timelines so the update tomorrow should provide some info on that. Stryde in Europe is likely to come back in August or later and the US will be the first country to get it back he suspects.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

RealLostSoul

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »

Offical update will be tomorrow according to Debiparshad after my consult with him a few days ago. He said it’s likely going to be officially recalled but their not sure of timelines so the update tomorrow should provide some info on that. Stryde in Europe is likely to come back in August or later and the US will be the first country to get it back he suspects.

inb4 stryde gets delayed for even longer.

berezoni

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2021, 07:43:03 PM »

My husband and I talked to the regional Sales Rep about Stryde. He said the independent company is doing testing and it is time consuming. He told us it will most likely be available by July 2021.

osiris

• Visitor
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »

Hi guys long time lurker, I was scheduled to have surgery next week, but my doctor just informed me that they are officially pulling Stryde from the market. It's a complete international recall according to him. No one will legally be able to use Stryde starting this Monday. He expects it to be longer than a year until changes are made and Stryde can come back to the market.

The recall is due to a small amount of corrosion that may occur with the nail while implanted.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up