Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stryde Nail and Screws Removal - Warning corrosions and rust discovery  (Read 2334 times)

azman

Had my removal surgery par the advice of my orthopedic surgeon in the US two weeks ago.

I think we’re fu@#ed.  Picked up my Stryde nail & screws today.  There are corrosions and rust on the Stryde.

Did anyone else kept their hardwares and found corrosions and rust on the Stryde nail?

precice strider

Didn't even know you could keep your hardware. Who was your surgeon?
Height dysphoria since 2008. (age 5)
Hoping to undergo STRYDE 8cm femurs when I can afford it.
164 cm with a wingspan of 166cm
Goal: 5'7.5 (172+) or taller, but hopefully 5'8 (173)
https://www.instagram.com/precice_strider/

ujin0101

• Visitor
  • CLL is a life changing game. Play it wisely.

Could you share a picture of your nails and screws?

more

You can keep your nails and screws .

azman

Could you share a picture of your nails and screws?

Somehow when I try to attach an image it keep giving this:

An Error Has Occurred!
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

azman

Yes, I had to request for it prior to surgery.  The surgical technician will clean and sanitize and wrap it before giving it to the surgeon. He is an orthopedic surgeon from Kaiser and does not do CLL, so I'm not too comfortable disclosing his name on a public forum, but he was referred by another member of this forum.

2020hope

Hi azman,

That is shocking to hear. In order to attach images please upload them on imgur.com and paste links here.

What were your doctor's comments about the rust?

Movie

Azman's Pictures referring to the corrosion (he asked me to aid in posting them):

https://imgur.com/a/uJ2OTne

One nail has more corrosion, not sure if the other one has any. and this is after they've been sanitized after removal.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

smalltaller

• Visitor

When did you remove the nails? After how many months?

V21

Well, Paley and the other doctors admit that this corrosion is happening in like 60% of cases, and that's the reason of the Nuvasive audit. However, they don't think it causes any problems.

canterk

These rust and corrosion issues only happen with Stryde or with Precice too?

Nestor

This is just crazy how a company so big can put out nails that rust and corrode within such a small space of time, I feel sick just thinking about it. Really hope there is no serious health implications caused by it.

RealLostSoul

These rust and corrosion issues only happen with Stryde or with Precice too?

only with stryde, precice is built with different material and there should have been signs by now (it's out there for much longer).

anyways that really looks horrible honestly.

las vegas baby

now thats a picture ethical docs like dr D and dr M should publish on their insta as ground breaking technology facilitating a minimally invasive procedure

srsly guys i hope you all stay safe and get the nails out asap.

StrydeNailChallenge

Yes, I had to request for it prior to surgery.  The surgical technician will clean and sanitize and wrap it before giving it to the surgeon. He is an orthopedic surgeon from Kaiser and does not do CLL, so I'm not too comfortable disclosing his name on a public forum, but he was referred by another member of this forum.

Hi azman,
Had you noticed any signs of corrosion or rust in any of your x-rays?
Starting [Morning] Height: 172.5 cm, Ending: 180.5
SNC - Femurs' Stryde Nail Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65337.0

more

Hi azman,
Did you notice any indication of corrosion or rust in any of your x-rays?
X-rays? What are you talking about? he wanted to keep it too much secret even he asked someone to post his nail's rust picture. I was keep asking post your x-ray but he was under the influence of dr. Giotikas that all is good and now see how is complaining about nail , if that time he posted x-rays someone can noticed but when i asked him post your x-ray he was abusing

BelowTheMean

So uhh, should I be looking into get a tetanus shot or something?
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

more

So uhh, should I be looking into get a tetanus shot or something?
Tetanus is bacterial infection nothing to do with iron rust.

azman

Azman's Pictures referring to the corrosion (he asked me to aid in posting them):

https://imgur.com/a/uJ2OTne

One nail has more corrosion, not sure if the other one has any. and this is after they've been sanitized after removal.

Thank you

azman

X-rays? What are you talking about? he wanted to keep it too much secret even he asked someone to post his nail's rust picture. I was keep asking post your x-ray but he was under the influence of dr. Giotikas that all is good and now see how is complaining about nail , if that time he posted x-rays someone can noticed but when i asked him post your x-ray he was abusing

Oh boy here we go again, Dr. know it all More.  Think X-ray More?  You’re too smart for your own good not to be able to figure it out.  How personal can a pic or two of the Stryde nail can it get?  Guess you can get off on those two pictures if you wish to do so😂.  If you wish to debate more on this issue or on your intelligence again, I’m back baby but don’t start crying abuse.

On the note of Movies posting my pictures, it’s not because of secret (see running your mouth again without any fact to back it up), it was due to my attempts failing in attaching the images.

There are a lot of X-RAYS More than I can recall on this forum but have never seen any pictures of a Stryde nail.  Think Dr. X-ray More, THINK? 

azman

Hi azman,
Had you noticed any signs of corrosion or rust in any of your x-rays?

No, there were no sign of funny bone formation or bone fragments going sideways.  On X-rays, it looks normal.

azman

@ more - Let me show you how intelligent of a person you really are to make a comment like that.

There are X-rays from other members on here that had funny bone formation and bone fragments going sideways prior to anyone being aware of the problems causing the recall, so how can a pair of untrained eyes or your eyes be able see leaking rust on X-rays? 

How can a trained medical doctor, let alone you Dr. More, able to see rust on X-rays of a Stryde nail when the bone formation looks normal.

If you do your research, you’ll find out that Dr. G was one of first doctor that found out about this problem with the Stryde nail and took the ethnical and moral actions of reporting it, that trigger the recall.

Guess you’re dying to see a set of my X-rays, Dr. KnowItAll more.  As a common saying show me yours and I’ll show you mine😆

BelowTheMean

Tetanus is bacterial infection nothing to do with iron rust.

Wow, I just learned today that Tetanus doesn't come from rust lmao. So what is the problem with rust on the Stryde nail then? Risk of blood poisoning? The doctors seem to say that it's "safe" but they also say that you should get the nail out within a year if you can....
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

maximize

Thanks for posting this. I think this clearly shows why there is a recall. A medical device cannot rust inside the human body after only 6-18 months and be considered a good option. There probably is no major health risk. People who had this already likely have nothing to worry about. That is not the point. The point is: Regulators will not re-approve it as medically safe if it is rusting like this inside the body.

That means it is dead unless they can redesign the whole thing with new materials that won't rust quickly. It's anyone's guess how long that would take. Maybe months. Maybe years. This clearly shows though it's not just a small matter, and it will not likely come back on the market in just a few short months.

I posted here asking for alternative ideas:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66331.0

Any ideas or suggestions? What else do we have that is weight bearing?

RealLostSoul

Wow, I just learned today that Tetanus doesn't come from rust lmao. So what is the problem with rust on the Stryde nail then? Risk of blood poisoning? The doctors seem to say that it's "safe" but they also say that you should get the nail out within a year if you can....

lol so you thought you are vaccinated against rust^^? The risk is that the materials leak into your body and potentially be cancerogenic. of course, it's not enough to acutely poison you but long-term effects are not to be underestimated.

Thanks for posting this. I think this clearly shows why there is a recall. A medical device cannot rust inside the human body after only 6-18 months and be considered a good option. There probably is no major health risk. People who had this already likely have nothing to worry about. That is not the point. The point is: Regulators will not re-approve it as medically safe if it is rusting like this inside the body.

That means it is dead unless they can redesign the whole thing with new materials that won't rust quickly. It's anyone's guess how long that would take. Maybe months. Maybe years. This clearly shows though it's not just a small matter, and it will not likely come back on the market in just a few short months.

I posted here asking for alternative ideas:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66331.0

Any ideas or suggestions? What else do we have that is weight bearing?

Agree with this. Suggestions... its hard. some say betzbone. some say just go for precise or lon.

2020hope

Hi azman,

What were your doctor's comments about the rust?

readyprecisestryde

I removed it couple of weeks ago and there was no abnormal bone formation on my X-ray and hoping there are no issues that may happen sometimes in the future. My doctor did not give me back the nail and I can't believe Nuvasive did not do all the testing prior FDA approval and released a nail that can rust inside our body in such short time period. Better to remove the nail sooner than later. Thank you very much for the photos and Info Azman

Nestor

Only for Azman we may have never found out about this issue. I wonder are there any medical papers which show other internal devices that have rusted and posed no health risks? As in long term over many decades. I think under normal circumstances if we were told that corrosion is a normal occurrence we might be more inclined to let it slide, but that fact that this particular device has been recalled is what makes it so worrying.

Michael J. Assayag, MD

• Limb Lengthening Orthopedic Surgeon from ICLL

Here is a little explanation of the topic at the following post.

Consider this, an insider peak inside the Stryde recall.

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66340.0
Dr. Michael J Assayag MD FRCSC
Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Surgeon
http://www.heightrx.com https://www.limblength.org/conditions/short-stature
massayag@lifebridgehealth.org
IG @bonelengthening

Nestor

Here is a little explanation of the topic at the following post.

Consider this, an insider peak inside the Stryde recall.

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66340.0

Thanks for the link doc, very insightful post which has helped put my mind at ease, at least a little! The corrosion being caused by the body interacting with the metal makes sense but what gets me is how, in this day and age, this is the best they can come up with? Surely they must be some workaround to prevent the rust from occurring at all given how expensive these devices are.

My main question would be does the corrosion at the joint reach a point where it stops after a certain amount of time/interaction, or does it simply continue for the entire length of time the nail is inside the bone? Hypothetically, if Azman had kept his nails in for another 6 months would rust continue and potentially increase the risk of possible carcinogenic effects?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up