Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you say to one person who wants to do the LL surgery?  (Read 1888 times)

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor

I mean, what advice would you tell him? (First of all, forgive my english, is not my first language)

I'm 5'5" and 23 years old. I've never been much worried about my height but i've been shy and insecure and didn't know why till now. Not too much shy nor insecure with men but with womens. Supposedly i'm attractive to womens but i dont see that way because of my height. I dont care being the smallest man of the room (or not that much) but i do care a lot being smaller than some womens and i dont wanna look a girl and say: She is beautifull but larger than me so forget her.

For a while now i've been trying to lengthen naturally doing intense excercise (to produce more HGH), eating better and streching my legs and back. But im afraid that i wont grow more height.

Maybe a year till now i've been with troubles to sleep because anxiety for being small. Almost everyday i think of my tiny height and that makes me anxiety: Not being able to be with the woman i like because she could be taller than me.

So for a while now i've been reading about height lengthening on enternet and this forum. As you must know, there are trolls and fakes everywhere so i dont know what to believe or not.

That is the reason of doing this post: What would you tell me, that i know just a little about this surgery?

-I know that i want to do LL on femurs with STRYDE and i would like to do as much as possible being realistic; 8cm
-I know that it is painfull, but how much?
-I know that there are risk (like in any of the surgeryes, even with one paracetamol you have posibilities to die), but.. how many? Whose are the worst case scenarios and how ofthen do they ocurr with a proper DR.?
-I smoke, should i give up now and wait at least 1 year to do the surgery or just doing it before the surgery its safe?
-How often the bones dont consolidate?
-Do streching really help? Should i keep streching till my operation day?

And to those who already did it..

-Do you regret something?
-When did you done it? Are you 100% alright? I mean, can you walk and run normally?
-Do you have any pain now?
-What would you like to know before doing it?

Thanks for your time, cheers

Serilium

Re: What would you say to one person who wants to do the LL surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:35:57 PM »

You are 23. You're growth plates are closed- producing more HGH whether through exercise or drugs won't make you taller. You will not grow taller naturally at this point.

Worse case scenario of the surgery is death from fat embolism. Which has happened before and is a real concern.

Give up smoking.

Non-consolidation is not particularly rare, as there are plenty of cases of non-union on this forum. The vast majority do have proper consolidation though.

Stretching does help! Stretch always.

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:43:08 PM »

You are 23. You're growth plates are closed- producing more HGH whether through exercise or drugs won't make you taller. You will not grow taller naturally at this point.

Worse case scenario of the surgery is death from fat embolism. Which has happened before and is a real concern.

Give up smoking.

Non-consolidation is not particularly rare, as there are plenty of cases of non-union on this forum. The vast majority do have proper consolidation though.

Stretching does help! Stretch always.

Thanks brother. What happens when non-consolidation happens? And why is that? If you are fine it shouldnt happen, doesn't it?

Serilium

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 06:58:18 PM »

Bone growth can be random at times. You can have young folk growing poor bone while old folk growing good bone. There's no set standard to decide whether good bone grows or not. Some people just have bad bone growth for no known reason.

If bad consolidation occurs, the doctor will try to fix it by slowing down or even stopping lengthening on first sight. If precice or stryde nail, you can do accordion method which is distract(lengthen) and contract(shorten) the nail repeatedly to stimulate bone growth. Most nails can't shorten, that is a Precice/stryde exclusive function. Doctor may advise to eat more, put more weight bearing if allowed, etc.

At the end of the day if there is no bone still, they will do a bone graft from your hip bone and that should fix the issue. This is the last resort and is a major deal.

Stretch

• Considering LL
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 07:20:41 PM »

Do you hear of bone grafts occurring often in the LL community?

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »

Do you hear of bone grafts occurring often in the LL community?

No i did not, can you tell more? Is about non-consolidation?

Edit: Sorry i didnt saw that was a reply
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:43:41 PM by Iwanttobetalleresp »

DonBones

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 08:14:43 PM »

Bone growth can be random at times. You can have young folk growing poor bone while old folk growing good bone. There's no set standard to decide whether good bone grows or not. Some people just have bad bone growth for no known reason.

If bad consolidation occurs, the doctor will try to fix it by slowing down or even stopping lengthening on first sight. If precice or stryde nail, you can do accordion method which is distract(lengthen) and contract(shorten) the nail repeatedly to stimulate bone growth. Most nails can't shorten, that is a Precice/stryde exclusive function. Doctor may advise to eat more, put more weight bearing if allowed, etc.

At the end of the day if there is no bone still, they will do a bone graft from your hip bone and that should fix the issue. This is the last resort and is a major deal.

Assuming this had to be done, how much would it cost in, say, Paley's Institute?
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Enjoying New Height :)

Serilium

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 09:45:58 PM »

Assuming this had to be done, how much would it cost in, say, Paley's Institute?

Alot. Like 25k+ but probably more, conservative estimate. If preconsolidation surgery is roughly 10-20k or so then a hip graft would be more. You should probably email him for the estimate.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 06:19:00 AM »

To answer your question as someone who did LL 7 years ago.

- I regret not lengthening more, and not standing up for myself when the doctor cut my bone too low and then recommended that I stop the lengthening. I also regret not fully rehabbing sooner for fear that I would damage the nail I hoped to re-lengthen in the future.

- I can walk and hike faster than I could pre-op (maybe because my femur is longer, idk), but cannot run as fast as before. I can walk for hours and hours and never feel tired (I literally feel superhuman in that regard), but my muscles fatigue fairly quickly when I run. I am currently working on building up my muscle stamina. For the past couple of weeks, I have been hiking up a giant mountain behind my house and running down to build glute strength. The total trek is about 4 miles and I feel it getting easier and easier every day, plus I get the best views in LA :). My walk does not look normal because I have an external tibial torsion deformity that looks worse due to my inability to compensate for it after femoral lengthening.

- I still have hip pain, especially on the left side. It doesn't hurt when I am just sitting but gets irritated easily when I run on pavement on other hard surfaces. This is why I prefer trail running and hiking on dirt. My right knee is starting to hurt too when I exercise too much, but that may be because of externally rotated gait rather than LL.

-If I could do it all over again, I would have a) gone for the maximum length the nail allowed b) Been honest with everyone in my life about what I was doing and been proud of it rather than ashamed.

DonBones

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 06:34:46 AM »

- I regret not lengthening more, and not standing up for myself when the doctor cut my bone too low and then recommended that I stop the lengthening. I also regret not fully rehabbing sooner for fear that I would damage the nail I hoped to re-lengthen in the future.

- I can walk and hike faster than I could pre-op (maybe because my femur is longer, idk), but cannot run as fast as before. I can walk for hours and hours and never feel tired (I literally feel superhuman in that regard), but my muscles fatigue fairly quickly when I run. I am currently working on building up my muscle stamina. For the past couple of weeks, I have been hiking up a giant mountain behind my house and running down to build glute strength. The total trek is about 4 miles and I feel it getting easier and easier every day, plus I get the best views in LA :). My walk does not look normal because I have an external tibial torsion deformity that looks worse due to my inability to compensate for it after femoral lengthening.

- I still have hip pain, especially on the left side. It doesn't hurt when I am just sitting but gets irritated easily when I run on pavement on other hard surfaces. This is why I prefer trail running and hiking on dirt. My right knee is starting to hurt too when I exercise too much, but that may be because of externally rotated gait rather than LL.

-If I could do it all over again, I would have a) gone for the maximum length the nail allowed b) Been honest with everyone in my life about what I was doing and been proud of it rather than ashamed.

Interesting, so would you say overall length outweighs the risk of complications and more obvious deficits with proportions?

May I ask what your start and end height are?

6CMFemurs

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 07:12:39 AM »

@Donbones: Depends on your goals and motivations. Look within your self, make a reasonable goal that can be realistically/safely achieved and pursue it ruthlessly. It is very hard for anyone outside of the LL world to ever notice proportions, especially with femur lengthening. I think if you are going to spend all this time, money, and pain to break your own legs you should do it on your terms and achieve the height you want to as long as your body complies, your doctors and PTs support you to continue and you are not experiencing complications. If you feel 100 percent sure you are done, then stop by all means. Winning LL is leaving with a feeling of accomplishment.

I started at around 5”6 and got to 5”8, I had an inch left on my nails when I had to stop.

DonBones

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 07:26:20 AM »

@Donbones: It is very hard for anyone outside of the LL world to ever notice proportions, especially with femur lengthening. I think if you are going to spend all this time, money, and pain to break your own legs you should do it on your terms and achieve the height you want to as long as your body complies, your doctors and PTs support you to continue and you are not experiencing complications. If you feel 100 percent sure you are done, then stop by all means. Winning LL is leaving with a feeling of accomplishment.

I started at around 5”6 and got to 5”8, I had an inch left on my nails when I had to stop.

Thanks for the reply. My intention is to go for 5-6cm only because I want to reduce the risk of pain and complications as much as possible. Then again, it won't really get me to my "dream height"..

6CMFemurs

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 07:40:51 AM »

@Donbones: 5-6 is a great goal if that is what you truly want. Everybody kind of reevaluates once their legs are broken. You just need to know pain and complications can come at 5-6 CM too. I hear it gets way harder once you pass 6, but idk never got there ;).

I think for tibias it is a different story, from everything I’ve heard and seen it really starts to suck after 5 CM and actually does start to get noticeable proportion wise. But again, don’t know from personal experience.

Want-3-inches

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 07:44:32 AM »

@Donbones: 5-6 is a great goal if that is what you truly want. Everybody kind of reevaluates once their legs are broken. You just need to know pain and complications can come at 5-6 CM too. I hear it gets way harder once you pass 6, but idk never got there ;).

I think for tibias it is a different story, from everything I’ve heard and seen it really starts to suck after 5 CM and actually does start to get noticeable proportion wise. But again, don’t know from personal experience.

Hi 6CMFemurs,

you story is very confusing. Did you end up getting the full 8cm after rebreaking? Did you get the nails removed? Are you considering getting rotational deformity fixed?

Nomad34

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 07:52:27 AM »

So are you still building your muscle stamina after 7 years? That's a little disconcerting. Of course, I realize that it takes years to recover, but that much time is a bit strange.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 09:12:13 AM »

@Nomad:
My priorities changed. I went off to college, went to grad school, traveled, and had an all around amazing 20’s. You get back to your normal life and you get really busy and forget about LL and rehabbing to recover your lost abilities. Your day to day life is so normal you forget you can’t run a mile as fast as before or whatever. I was also told by a PA of my original surgeon that high impact activities might damage the lengthening mechanism of the Precice nails in my bones (this was 2014 and they really didn’t know), so I really didn’t want to be in a situation where they cut the bones and the nails didn’t work. Also I wasn’t on the forum or checking out advances in LL so until this year my knowledge of LL was stuck back in 2014 haha

Plus I had several different long term girlfriends that I lived with over those years and I was too embarrassed to any of them tell about my surgery. It’s not like I could just disappear from my girlfriend when we were living together and drop tens of thousands of dollars when I was broke in grad school to extend those nails the final inch.

When I was 27, I finally confided in the girl I was dating at the time about having the surgery. To my surprise she was extremely supportive and understanding. Then I started telling other people in my life and they were supportive too. Now that I am 29 and have a stable career, this fire has been reignited in me to get strong and in amazing shape again and really get the full amount out of life. Especially, with my work as a therapist listening to people talk about their regrets in life and never stepping out of their comfort zone to take chances.

Amazingly after not really running for like 7 years, I have probably recovered about 90+ percent of my athletic ability. Literally the first time I really sprinted a couple months ago, I almost fell down from lack of balance and now I would say I run short distances decently but am still improving rapidly. The body’s ability to heal is truly amazing. And of course I have to add even while I was abstaining from high impact activities, I was extremely active doing low impact things, and I had a background as a soldier in an elite combat unit, so I am sure the muscle memory was still there

Anyway long story short, that’s why it has taken so long to recover... ;)

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

@Nomad:
My priorities changed. I went off to college, went to grad school, traveled, and had an all around amazing 20’s. You get back to your normal life and you get really busy and forget about LL and rehabbing to recover your lost abilities. Your day to day life is so normal you forget you can’t run a mile as fast as before or whatever. I was also told by a PA of my original surgeon that high impact activities might damage the lengthening mechanism of the Precice nails in my bones (this was 2014 and they really didn’t know), so I really didn’t want to be in a situation where they cut the bones and the nails didn’t work. Also I wasn’t on the forum or checking out advances in LL so until this year my knowledge of LL was stuck back in 2014 haha

Plus I had several different long term girlfriends that I lived with over those years and I was too embarrassed to any of them tell about my surgery. It’s not like I could just disappear from my girlfriend when we were living together and drop tens of thousands of dollars when I was broke in grad school to extend those nails the final inch.

When I was 27, I finally confided in the girl I was dating at the time about having the surgery. To my surprise she was extremely supportive and understanding. Then I started telling other people in my life and they were supportive too. Now that I am 29 and have a stable career, this fire has been reignited in me to get strong and in amazing shape again and really get the full amount out of life. Especially, with my work as a therapist listening to people talk about their regrets in life and never stepping out of their comfort zone to take chances.

Amazingly after not really running for like 7 years, I have probably recovered about 90+ percent of my athletic ability. Literally the first time I really sprinted a couple months ago, I almost fell down from lack of balance and now I would say I run short distances decently but am still improving rapidly. The body’s ability to heal is truly amazing. And of course I have to add even while I was abstaining from high impact activities, I was extremely active doing low impact things, and I had a background as a soldier in an elite combat unit, so I am sure the muscle memory was still there

Anyway long story short, that’s why it has taken so long to recover... ;)

Thanks a lot for Your time and the info bud. You did precice? And i have a question maybe a little rare: why are you here? I mean, why did you came back to this kind of forum if you already done it and you are fine? As I read and is pretty normal, the one who does this and everything goes fine, he forget about that and let this things behind. Is it just to help, you are willing to do another one...?

Thanks a lot again

6CMFemurs

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 09:51:08 AM »

@Iwanttobetall:
You sir are the smartest person on this forum. :)

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »

@Iwanttobetall:
You sir are the smartest person on this forum. :)

Why is that? 🤣 you are lying to us?

Want-3-inches

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 12:13:49 PM »

Thanks a lot for Your time and the info bud. You did precice? And i have a question maybe a little rare: why are you here? I mean, why did you came back to this kind of forum if you already done it and you are fine? As I read and is pretty normal, the one who does this and everything goes fine, he forget about that and let this things behind. Is it just to help, you are willing to do another one...?

Thanks a lot again

This was a rude question, considering he already explained in detail his level of recovery.

Iwanttobetalleresp

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 02:28:51 PM »

This was a rude question, considering he already explained in detail his level of recovery.

I dont think that way, but if he does I apologize. Anyway, reading his posts he just answered that question

Serilium

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »

Thanks a lot again

I don't want to speak for 6cmfemurs, but based on what I read and remember, 6cmfemurs came back to inquire about lengthening his already implanted precice nail 2 more centimeters or something like that.

DutchGiant

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 03:24:06 PM »

I'm curious for your replies 6cmfemur. Because actually, I have had the intention to go to 6cm max to compromise the risk of lasting issues and reduced mobility at older age.
Also, I believe the risk for Stryde nail bending warrants being extra careful on putting pressure until the bone has consolidated. So preferably, only controlled movements such as walking and cycling.

Now I see your reply you wish you lengthened more, and I see the same from other users. But you never know how you would have felt afterwards if you had done that. And I'm not taking about the extra inconveniences during the lengthening phase, but the permanent effects that last throughout your life.

Want-3-inches

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 05:56:16 PM »

I dont think that way, but if he does I apologize. Anyway, reading his posts he just answered that question

He appears to have left the forum now :(

6CMFemurs

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »

@DutchGiant: There are pros and cons to everything. Having to stop around the 6 CM mark allowed me to have an amazing summer road trip full of partying, drinking, hiking, and exploring about 7 months post-op. Seriously one of the best summers of my entire life. I doubt I would have been able to do all that if I had to wait for 8 CM of consolidation on a non-WB nail. If you are going to do this I would play the long game though and go for what you truly want. To be honest, you won't know how you truly feel until they break your bones and you are going through it. Some want less than they originally planned for, most want more.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 08:13:52 PM »

@Iwanttobetaller is not rude, he actually asked the smartest question.

Want-3-inches

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2021, 03:59:36 AM »

Hi 6CMFemurs,

you story is very confusing. Did you end up getting the full 8cm after rebreaking? Did you get the nails removed? Are you considering getting rotational deformity fixed?

hey could you answer my questions? I went through your posts and I'm a bit confused about these aspects.

Thanks!

6CMFemurs

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 05:30:10 AM »

@Want-Three-Inches

1) I tried to get the final two CM, but the nails failed.
2) Not yet, but soon
3) Yes I hope so

Want-3-inches

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 06:06:45 AM »

@Want-Three-Inches

2) Not yet, but soon
3) Yes I hope so

thanks!

Do you have a pic of your leg that you don't mind sharing?

Going-For-Three

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 06:15:23 AM »

@Want-Three-Inches

2) Not yet, but soon
3) Yes I hope so
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if the nails failed. There's probably nothing you could have done brother.

Megatron

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »

It’s definitely worth it past 25. Only true benefit doing it early is your bone grows faster so it’s physically easier for you to recover from the surgery by the psychological effect would be the same. If anything you can appreciate the surgery more past 25. For example if I got this surgery done at 22 after my Growth plates closed I would probably take it for granted vs getting it when I’m past 25 I’ll probably have suffered more mentally and do more with it like maintain being in great shape with it, be more confident and appreciative of the new height etc. socially it’s the same effect, I also agree with the others that when you’re younger height doesn’t matter to opposite sxx as much. I mean when you’re younger most ppl are more confident. It’s when you get older you start to doubt yourself more. In my honest opinion it’s more effective to do this when your older mentally but physically it’s more beneficial when you’re younger. Doing it when you’re older you’ll see how you get treated differently by ppl and will have enough of experience and evidence of that so you’ll see a huge difference. That’s what I learned from wearing lifts. Was 5’6 and then went to 5’8 and saw how guys didn’t make fun of my height, females were paying more attention. If anyone is doing this for someone else though besides themselves it’s probably a mistake to do it. Like if you’re doing this for women you should probably wait until you mature and see how you feel about it later on in life cause I doubt you’ll be happy with this surgery if it’s to get more women. Often times height alone isn’t enough to get what you want or if you get that girl you want she might not stick around. Should really work on yourself first and the height should just be a plus for yourself not for anyone else. That’s just my opinion everyone is different.

(Sorry meant for another post)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up