Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Precice 2.2 Diary - Baltimore w/ Dr Assayag (April 2021)  (Read 12559 times)

ab608

Precice 2.2 Diary - Baltimore w/ Dr Assayag (April 2021)
« on: May 04, 2021, 12:01:56 AM »

Hi there! Starting this diary to share my experience with limb lengthening in the hope that it'll be useful to others. I'd also love to hear from those of you who've undergone limb lengthening or are currently going through it. Feel free to share tips or comment if any part of my experience resonates with you!

I got the surgery a little over three weeks ago, on April 8th 2021. I got the Precice 2.2 implanted in both femurs. I think I got the smallest adult size of the nails, so I'm allowed to weight bear max 50lbs on each leg.

Pre-surgery height: 4'10"
Pre-surgery weight: 112 lbs

Lengthening goal: I'm shooting for 2-2.5 inches, but if I can get any more than that, that'd be amazing, provided I still look somewhat properly proportioned (I was told my calf to femur length ratio is below average, so I'm mindful of the fact that lengthening my femurs will make this ratio even worse..trying to lengthen while keeping this in mind so I don't make my proportions significantly worse).

Highlights of my journey so far (I'm 25 days post surgery as of today's date, and have distracted 18.2 mm so far):

Impressions of Dr Assayag and the team - like many other former patients who've posted on here, I think Dr Assayag and his team are amazing. Incredibly easy to contact, they listen to you, work with you on every aspect of the process - financial, medical, logistics (including housing and PT), moral support and so much more. I'm so so grateful to them and so far am feeling so happy that I'm going through this process with Dr Assayag and his team.

Impression of surgery - surgery was really smooth and I felt that my pain was well-controlled **when I was laying still**. One thing I regret - I was trying really hard to avoid taking Oxycodone in the second and third days of my stay because of the fear of addiction. But without it, it was difficult to move my legs, and that made my PT sessions in the hospital pretty rough, until I realized I needed to just take the Oxy so I could get through the PT. I think those PT sessions in the hospital are really critical for getting the confidence to get out of bed and do basic things early on in this process, and also feel confident enough to do the exercises they tell you to do, since you do those exercises during PT over the next couple weeks as well. So yeah lol - I had the misconception that taking a few pills of Oxy = immediate addiction which is just not how these things work. Def talk this through with your doctor if you have the same fear!

Discharge and adjustment to life in a wheelchair - this went really well, 100% due to the fact that my dad is here with me and I had a private duty nurse come home and help out when he was busy with work. I think having around the clock help post-surgery was super critical for me. Also, its super important to find wheelchair accessible accommodation (by this I just mean that the doorframes are wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs, the layout is spacious, and the bathroom is spacious enough for a wheelchair..since I have help, I didn't need for the appliances to also be wheelchair accessible, but this is a great option if you're able to get this!). Since my accommodation was accessible by wheelchair, adjusting to the wheelchair life was quite easy for me. The only mildly challenging thing for me was learning how to shower and use the toilet, but I learned some techniques for that and was able to shower really easily alone by end of week 1 and use the toilet really easily by end of week 2. I won't go into detail about that for now, but I'll def try to write up my techniques later in case they're helpful for anyone.

Pain management post-surgery - this is something I'm still sort of struggling with, although it has gotten a lot better. I had the a pretty rough time doing lengthening in the first few weeks. I was doing .25 mm 4x a day. The act of distracting on my left leg was super painful (weirdly, i felt NO pain on my right leg) The pain would start during the lengthening session and last for 2 to sometimes 3 hours after lengthening, ranging from a pain level of 5 to even 8 sometimes. The pain was a really annoying dull but intense stretching pain, starting and staying in my thigh, but also it'd radiate throughout the rest of my leg too.  Going through this 4x a day was really exhausting - a few times I skipped the fourth session, and one day I just didn't lengthen at all. I know that was not a good idea but I just wanted a break from all the pain. I let Dr A know about this and he was super responsive and tried to understand the root cause. He first suspected a blood clot, so I got an ultrasound for that which came back negative. Next, he prescribed Gabapentin, initially 300mg 3x a day, but that didn't really help. After my first follow-up visit, he decided to have me try 600mg of Gaba 3x a day and make lengthening increments smaller, so he told me to do .2 mm 5x a day. This has definitely helped me quite a bit - I'd say the pain has gone down like 40-50% and I've been able to get through all of my lengthening ever since we made that change, although I'm not sure if its the Gaba or the reduced lengthening increments that's making the difference, or both. I'm going to continue to watch this though and hope for more of an improvement in the pain.

I feel like I've written a lot so far so going to end here; please feel free to reach out with questions or comments -- hope this has been helpful/informative so far :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:56:53 AM by ab96 »

Serilium

Re: Precice 2.2 Diary - Baltimore w/ Dr Assayag (April 2021)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 01:58:33 AM »

arent you a bit too early to be on gaba? nerve pain this early?

and dont worry about getting hooked on drugs.. thats not going to happen

good luck!

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 02:06:07 AM »

Congratulations and good luck!

Based on all of the accounts I've read here (+private convos) lengthening shouldn't feel super painful - please see your doctor if you're feeling pain! As for tightening, I'm not sure if there's a difference in morphology between genders (most accounts here are guys) but you shouldn't feel super tight until you're nearing 6cm (maybe 4, 5cm in your case because you're petite. There's a correlation between how much you can lengthen and your baseline height it seems.)

Wishing you all the best on your journey
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

TheDream

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 03:18:45 AM »

Pain management post-surgery - this is something I'm still sort of struggling with, although it has gotten a lot better. I had the a pretty rough time doing lengthening in the first few weeks. I was doing .25 mm 4x a day. The act of distracting on my left leg was super painful (weirdly, i felt NO pain on my right leg) The pain would start during the lengthening session and last for 2 to sometimes 3 hours after lengthening, ranging from a pain level of 5 to even 8 sometimes. The pain was a really annoying dull but intense stretching pain, starting and staying in my thigh, but also it'd radiate throughout the rest of my leg too.  Going through this 4x a day was really exhausting - a few times I skipped the fourth session, and one day I just didn't lengthen at all. I know that was not a good idea but I just wanted a break from all the pain. I let Dr A know about this and he was super responsive and tried to understand the root cause. He first suspected a blood clot, so I got an ultrasound for that which came back negative. Next, he prescribed Gabapentin, initially 300mg 3x a day, but that didn't really help. After my first follow-up visit, he decided to have me try 600mg of Gaba 3x a day and make lengthening increments smaller, so he told me to do .2 mm 5x a day. This has definitely helped me quite a bit - I'd say the pain has gone down like 40-50% and I've been able to get through all of my lengthening ever since we made that change, although I'm not sure if its the Gaba or the reduced lengthening increments that's making the difference, or both. I'm going to continue to watch this though and hope for more of an improvement in the pain.

This is actually really interesting. I think in the near future we will have a lot more research into the lengthening process. Lengthening at smaller increments means less intense pressure on the muscles & nerves. Ab, is there a reason why you need to lengthen 1 mm in total per day? I know in the past I have read others lengthen 0.80 mm or even 0.66 mm per day. This might really bring down the pain and discomfort in your legs, although it will increase the amount of time the lengthening takes. I am no doctor though, so I am sure Dr. Assayag will have a more detailed response to this.

Good luck AB and congrats on starting the process.

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 03:23:48 AM »

Congrats and good luck ab96! You’re in great hands with Dr. A and team; hope the pain levels out and wishing you all the best.
CLL wannabe - waiting for Stryde return
171.5 cm (morning height)
171 cm (day height)
Wingspan: 179 cm
Goal height - 179 cm (femurs)

ab608

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 03:40:42 PM »

Hey TheDream - that's a good question. I'm not totally sure why we chose to shoot for 1mm/day, but I suspect the reasoning behind it is that that's the theorized rate of bone growth per day based on research, so the 1mm lengthening rate early on might be necessary to avoid the risk of pre-consolidation. Dr A said I could do .75mm per day if I really wanted, but I really wanted to try for 1mm. I could be totally wrong about this though, this is just my guess

ab608

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 03:45:43 PM »

Hi PerfectBody - wow I wasn't aware of that correlation; fingers crossed I can be an outlier and achieve some more height :) I don't feel tightening during/after distraction as much as I feel this really irritating stretching pain. It feels like everything is getting pulled (which makes sense, because it is). Weirdly its only in my left leg - my right leg doesn' t experience any distraction pain. But its getting a lot better with the new changes we made to my lengthening routine/meds, so let's see!

ab608

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »

--------------------

*** Update:*** As of today, I've distracted a total amount of 20.6 mm (2.06 cm)! I'm feeling really happy; I stood up on the walker today and compared my height with my mom and could immediately see a difference. it feels great to see tangible results! it wasn't a totally smooth journey getting to this amount because of the pain, but that's definitely improving; I'm really happy regardless and don't regret doing this at all.

@TheDream - I realized my earlier response to your question didn't make a whole lot of sense. Spoke to my PT about this and he said part of the reason we do 1mm per day early on is 1) definitely to avoid risk of pre-consolidation and 2) gain some leeway so that we can afford to slow down (without fearing pre-consolidation) later on once/if things start to get tighter, or you experience nerve issues or less than ideal bone growth. But it sounds like different doctors feel differently about this approach if you know that other LL patients have distracted at a slower rate early on.

@Serilium - hm yeah I think it isn't common to be on Gaba this early on, but it seems to be helping me with the distraction pain. I think maybe this is the sort of thing where the answer just is "everyone's different" or "everyone responds to lengthening differently". Thanks for the good wishes!

@LBGrowthSpurt - thanks for the good wishes! I agree I'm in great hands with Dr A and his team!

------------------------

PT, Flexibility, and how I manage everyday essential activities:

I thought I'd spend some time writing up how PT is going and what we're focusing on, as well as how I get around with the wheelchair to do everyday daily activities.

Physical Therapy -

Currently I'm doing PT 3 times a week.

When I was first discharged after surgery, my quads were super weak. I couldn't bend my legs at all, I couldn't let my legs dangle over the edge of the bed, and I couldn't lift up my legs on my own. So the first week after surgery, the way I got around was by scooting my butt and using my arms to move my entire body by scooting. I also used a "leg lifter" if I needed to lift my legs at all (for example, when turning). To get from the bed to the wheelchair, I'd have to place the wheelchair perpendicular to the bed and kind of back up into it from the bed by scooting backwards. Anytime I was on a wheelchair, I made sure that it had the leg rests up so that I could keep my legs straight, since it was painful to bend them. The scooting backwards approach was also how I used the bedside commode in the first two weeks post surgery.

The focus of PT in these first two weeks was to be able to bend my knee, start activating my quad muscles, and make sure that my hips and hamstrings were still loose and flexible. Pretty much all I'd do was, while reclining on my bed, I'd use a strap to pull in my leg and bend it at the knee. I'd also use the same strap to take my leg out to the side to stretch out my hips (or hip flexors, not entirely sure). We'd also work on the ability to lift my entire leg up while I was in the reclined position. I also worked on letting my legs dangle off the edge of the bed and the ability to kick them up while sitting on the edge of the bed. Knee bending was really tough for me in the first week after surgery, but miraculously, I was able to start bending both knees really well almost overnight mid-way through my second week, which was really cool. Once I could start bending my knees again, I feel like life got a lot easier.

Now, I'm almost week 4 post surgery. The focus of PT is still to make sure I can keep bending my knees, so I still do a lot of knee bends, but its also shifted to making sure I can also extend my legs and keep them straight (so no bend in the knee), since thats really critical. The ability to keep your legs straight comes from your hamstrings, which get tighter as lengthening progresses, so the idea is to get ahead of the game there. In addition to working on knee bends, we also focus a lot on being able to lift my leg up while Im in a reclined position without a bend in my knee. Another thing I should mention is that somewhere around week 2 I learned to roll over onto my stomach, which is really important, especially for Precice patients since we can't walk post-surgery. Lying on your stomach is really good for stretching out the hips and getting you all straightened out, so I try to do that a lot throughout the day (its also pretty comfortable). Last week I also got the chance to try out using the exercise bike at a really low resistance, which is great for both knee extension and bending, as well as giving you some cardio, so I hope to continue using the bike.

This week I finally started to feel the tightness that people describe from lengthening. Its not a crazy amount though. I'm finding a bit of resistance in my quads when I try to bend them (which was so easy for me last week) and I also have a lot of soreness in my left IT band area (side of the thigh and side of the knee), so I've ben trying to stretch that area out and ice it as well. I wake up pretty stiff in the mornings so I do like 15 mins of stretching in the morning to loosen up again. Once I do that, I feel pretty good/loose for the rest of the day.

----------------------------------

How I do some daily activities

Using the toilet - again, in the first 2 weeks post surgery, I mostly used a bedside commode (using the "backing up"/scooting approach I described above). This was because it was hard to bend my knees and I just didn't think it'd be an easy process to get to the bathroom and sit on the toilet. However, once I was able to bend my knees, I got more confidence to go to the bathroom. The method I use to get on the toilet is to wheel in close to the toilet, almost at a diagonal. Then, I put one hand on the seat of my wheelchair, other hand on a railing that we installed next to the other side of the toilet, I put my legs firmly on the ground, and basically lift myself out of the wheelchair and onto the toilet seat. I distribute weight in both my arms and legs so its not just my arms or just my legs that are doing the work. I highly recommend getting a wheelchair where you can remove the arms if needed cause that really helps with transfers. Another way to do this which I haven't tried yet is to use a walker (if you are allowed). So basically, wheel in close to the toilet, and then use a walker to get up out of the wheelchair, pivot, and sit down onto the toilet. I want to try doing this more because I'm allowed to use the walker for small transfers and I've been told that its good for me to start putting weight on my legs and standing.

Showering -

Again, showering got a lot easier once I was able to bend my legs. Before I was able to bend my legs, I did need a bit of help from my nurse to get into the tub from my wheelchair. I highly recommend getting a shower bench which kind of extends out of the tub, so that you can trasfer onto it from your wheelchair and slide in. Before I could bend easily, I put another stool in the tub which I could rest my legs on. I also use a detachable shower head so that I can shower while sitting on the bench. Once I was able to bend my legs, it got a *lot* easier to transfer in. I wheel up to the bench and basically put my legs on the ground and use my hands and legs to shift my body onto the bench and just slide in.

Hope this was informative; let me know if you have any comments or questions!

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 01:14:04 AM »

Wow! 0ver 2 cmon already ab96? Time flies, I guess! (Easy for me to say I know since you’re doing all the work 😆). Good job 👍 and thanks fo4 all the deets - very informative. Wishing all the best for you as your journey continues 😊
171 cm (day height)

Serilium

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 02:31:02 AM »

I'm feeling really happy; I stood up on the walker today and compared my height with my mom and could immediately see a difference. it feels great to see tangible results! it wasn't a totally smooth journey getting to this amount because of the pain, but that's definitely improving; I'm really happy regardless and don't regret doing this at all.

keep up the good positivity 🖐🏻🖐🏻

ab608

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 03:23:14 AM »

Thank you @LBGrowthSpurt and @Serilium!

Also, @Serilium, I got some intel re: your question about Gaba from the doctor - he said "Gaba is used not only for nerve pain, but also as an adjunct for somatic pain. It works with the Tylenol and Celebrex (which are the first line pain meds prescribed post surgery) to potentialize their effect".

Hope that helps

V21

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 07:53:48 AM »

Is Precice 2.2 already available in the US or is Assayag using stock?

ab608

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 12:31:08 PM »

@V21 it's available in the US

Serilium

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »

Also, @Serilium, I got some intel re: your question about Gaba from the doctor - he said "Gaba is used not only for nerve pain, but also as an adjunct for somatic pain. It works with the Tylenol and Celebrex (which are the first line pain meds prescribed post surgery) to potentialize their effect".

Hope that helps

Tnx

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 01:59:58 AM »

Hey ab608 - how ya doing?  Hope things are going well for you! 😁💪
171 cm (day height)

ab608

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 08:11:49 PM »

Hey ab608 - how ya doing?  Hope things are going well for you! 😁💪

Hey! Thanks for checking in. The last week or so has been interesting, but overall things are going really well!

For some context on where I am in distraction, I'm 38 days post surgery as of today and I've distracted around 2.9 cm. I have another follow-up with the doctor this week where we'll get to look at the X-rays again.

I've been doing really well with bone growth, so I hope that trend continues. I definitely feel like all my surgery-related pain is gone (long gone). Mentally I feel 100% back to normal - I've started working again as well (I work remotely). I've had good and bad days with work, but again, on the whole I think it's getting easier.  My team is really kind and accommodating as well, so that has helped. My sleep quality was pretty bad these last two weeks, so I had been taking a lot of naps in between meetings and doing work over the weekend to compensate, but over the past few days I've been sleeping better, so I don't think I'll need to nap as much during the day this coming week.

Regarding pain and muscle tightness, we had an interesting revelation earlier this week that shed some light on my pain - turns out I've been accidentally lengthening my left leg more and faster than my right leg  -__________- lol..which may be why I've found distraction so painful on that leg. We found this out because, in addition the low-grade distraction pain I was still having, I also had a lot of tightness on the side of my left thigh (the IT band area) and pain on the sides of my left knee. When I stood up on my walker, I could see that my left knee was rotating inwards making my left leg look kind of crooked/not straight. My PT told me to text Dr A right away, so I did, and he told me to come in ASAP because he suspected subluxation of the knee (which I think is kind of like dislocation? not totally sure). I also noticed that my left leg looked kind of longer than the right - it was subtle but I definitely thought I could see a difference and Dr A agreed, so he took some X-rays. The X-rays didn't show any subluxation but did show that the left leg was longer than the right by a couple millimeters. He said one reason for the knee curving inward could be because of the tightness in my IT band + other muscles on the left leg, since it's the hip that controls rotation of the knee. That made sense to me because I felt like my knee was curving inward to avoid the pain that was brought on by the tightness on the side of my thigh when I'd rotate my hip to straighten my leg. He told me to slow down lengthening on my left leg to .5 mm per day and to keep going at 1mm on the right to let the right leg catch up. So, I've slowed down on the left at least until my upcoming appt at the end of this week.

The slowdown has been really nice - the muscle tightness lifted pretty much the next day and I've found it a lot easier to keep my knee straight. I've also felt much less pain on the left leg since slowing down, so its nice to get a little break :) I'm really curious about how much, if any, pain I'll feel once I return to 1mm distraction per day on the left, once the right has caught up.

As to how I could've lengthened more on the left than right -- the magnet in the NuVasive ERC (remote that does the lengthening) is really powerful, and the device says to keep both legs at least a foot apart before lengthening. I guess I must've been careless a few times. The device makes me lengthen my right leg first, and then left, so its possible that I kept my left leg too close while lengthening the right, causing the remote to also lengthen my left leg with it  :'( so be careful all of you!! don't be like me lol. hopefully my experience will help you troubleshoot if any of you have similar pain or are noticing similar symptoms when you start this process.

As always I'm super grateful for my PT, and the doctor and his team for being super responsive and calling me in to investigate ASAP. On the bright side, PT has been going really well, I don't have any other unexpected areas of muscle tightness, and I also got to try walking in the pool this week! It felt great to stand and practice walking, especially since you can't weight bear on Precice 2.2.

Will write up more on this tomorrow - in the meantime, feel free to ask about anything I haven't mentioned if you're curious.

ab608

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 09:26:30 PM »

Update:

42 days post-surgery
Distracted 3.4 cm on right leg, a little bit more than that on left leg (see post above ^)

Pain level generally: for the last week and half, it's been in the 1-2 range generally since I slowed down distraction on my left leg. My right leg doesn't hurt when distracting, but both legs do ache from time to time. The worst that the aching gets is 3-4 level pain, which happens at night usually.

Muscle tightness/flexibility: I'm still doing ok in terms of flexibility. Hamstrings are still ok which is good; I don't have much trouble straightening my legs. My quads are getting a little tighter but I'm still able to bend 90+ degrees. My hips are fine too. My main issue is tightness in the IT bands on both legs and knee pain (side of the knee especially). I could really feel that tightness when standing up in the pool, so I need to spend more time stretching the IT bands.

Video of me walking in the pool: https://imgur.com/MlYEEAb

Highly recommend getting in the pool asap if you're doing Precice since it helps you practice your walk. It also made me acutely aware of which of my muscles were really tight, since its hard to tell that when you're sitting/reclining/lying down 24/7. As soon as I started walking, I could really feel tightness on the sides of both of my knees, which I don't feel as acutely when sitting/lying down.  I definitely felt that the tightness was hampering my walk. I told my PT that I tend to sleep on my side and bend my knees at night; she said that this was probably contributing to my knee tightness and that I should try to either sleep with my knees straight using the CKDs they gave us, or to compensate by trying hard to keep my legs straight during the daytime. This brings me to my CKD usage...

CKD usage - Not sure how widespread this is, but the LL team at Sinai Hospital makes their femur lengthening patients custom leg braces which are to be worn up to 8 hours per day to help with keeping your legs straight and prevent your hamstrings from getting too tight (they'll naturally get tight due to lengthening, but I think the brace helps to mitigate it). I've been trying really hard to keep both CKDS on at night but man it's so tough. I try to wait till I'm really sleepy to put them on, but as soon as I put them on, my sleepiness evaporates because its so uncomfortable lol. Nevertheless I keep trying, and right now the most I can keep them on is 1hr 15 mins before my legs are screaming at me to take them off. I definitely am not at the point where I can sleep with them. At the moment I wear them throughout the day in intervals, as much as I can. Hopefully I'll get better at this! If you're a former Sinai patient and have any tips on this, please let me know!

MrSoonToBeTaller

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2021, 03:53:48 PM »

Hello fellow femur lengthener!  I am about a month behind you; my surgery was May 6.  Any tips?  I am also a Precice 2.2 femur patient.  Any hints or tips for sleeping?  The pool video looks cool!

ab608

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 02:35:29 AM »

Hello fellow femur lengthener!  I am about a month behind you; my surgery was May 6.  Any tips?  I am also a Precice 2.2 femur patient.  Any hints or tips for sleeping?  The pool video looks cool!

hi! congrats on starting your journey! honestly sleeping has been up and down for me and i'm still trying to nail it as well..the first few weeks after surgery i actually slept really well, despite only being able to sleep on my back, i think because i was new to all the medication and it made me pretty drowsy (especially the Oxy, which I'd take at night). but since then my sleep quality has been pretty spotty, with some good nights and sometimes a string of bad nights.

a couple things which have helped me:

1) being able to lie on my stomach - i was able to do this by week 2/3 and it was a real game-changer for sleep for me. around week 4-5 i also felt comfortable sleeping on my side, but i'm trying to wean myself off of this now because i tend to curl up on my side and that makes my knees really tight and painful in the morning.

2) taking reliable pain meds before sleeping to minimize waking up in pain at night. when distraction was pretty painful, i'd definitely take Oxy before sleeping. idk what your post-surgery meds are, but if you've been prescribed Tylenol, maybe you could try taking Tylenol PM? it didn't really work for me but i feel like that was because i was in a phase where my pain was a little too strong to be overpowered by Tylenol PM. now that the pain is in check, i might try that again. Victor from Cyborg4Life also has a video about sleep where I think he mentions some amino acid supplement that helped him with sleep; i haven't tried it, but maybe its something you could look into:

if i come across anything else that helps, i'll let you know!

limbcllnea

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 06:53:56 PM »

Thanks for writing your diary.

I was wondering how much were the costs of surgery and physical therapy?

ab608

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 02:04:08 AM »

Thanks for writing your diary.

I was wondering how much were the costs of surgery and physical therapy?

Surgery for Precice, both femurs, is around $70k and PT at Sinai Hospital I think is around an additional $6k. Would recommend emailing Dr Assayag's team to get an exact quote.

If you have private health insurance, its worth asking them what their policy is around physical therapy. Some insurances will cover PT (typically for a set number of visits) if the provider is in-network, without any need for prior authorization. I'd also recommend asking them about their policy around home health aides/private duty nurses as well.

There's 2 other physical therapists in the area who were formerly part of Sinai's PT team - one of them works at another practice and accepts select insurances, and another works independently (self-pay) and can come to your home provided you live within an acceptable distance, so those are two more options you can ask Dr Assayag about and get quotes from as well.

ab608

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2021, 02:56:53 PM »

Update - I've distracted 4.5 cm on left leg, 4.2 on right

Pain - I've felt very little to no pain over the last week.

There's definitely more stiffness and tightness, especially in my quads, and I'm very stiff and uncomfortable in the mornings, but that's about it. The only other pain I feel is when I'm stretching my quads or during PT, but that sort of pain is short-lived and goes away as soon as I stop stretching.

Recently, to relieve the discomfort from tightness in the morning, I've been taking hot baths as soon as I wake up. Soaking in the hot water really, really helps me feel normal again, and I do a lot of stretching as well - so, keeping my legs straight and pushing them against the tub to stretch my hamstrings, I try to stretch my calves by doing this modified calf raise stretch, I do a lot of knee bending, and I try to sit pretzel style in the tub as well (I can't bend my knees as much anymore so I can't do this stretch that well, but I still try). I feel like I enjoy stretching in the water more than on land now, and I feel like I'm able to push myself more in the water than on land, so I might try to spend more time in the pool.

Things are starting to feel different now that I've distracted this much. My legs definitely look longer to me, and they feel very new/strange! I feel like I have less control over them, since I'm used to them being shorter.. it's very interesting.

Flexibility - I don't think I've lost a significant amount of range of motion yet in any of my muscles, but again, quads are getting tighter, I'm starting to feel my hamstrings get tighter, and I think my hips aren't as loose as they were before. But the amount I've lost isn't serious or severe yet, so I'm continuing to distract at 1mm/day. One thing I've noticed is that my left IT band, or basically the side of my left thigh, is pretty sensitive and can start being painful pretty quickly if I stretch it in the wrong way or do something to make it mad. I've noticed that using the exercise bike can anger it - lately every time I use the bike, the next day the side of my thigh becomes really painful any time I try to move my leg, and I have to wrap it with an ACE wrap for the whole day until it calms down.

ACE wraps have been really helpful throughout this process too. Sometimes my knees can be tight and painful, or the side of my thigh as I mentioned above. Compression with the wrap really helps to relieve the pain/tension.

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »

Holy crap, it really feels like 1-2 weeks ago you began your LL journey. I'm happy to hear you're having a painless experience, keep it up!!

Good luck on the last ~1 cm!!! You got this!
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

ab608

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2021, 05:27:43 PM »

Holy crap, it really feels like 1-2 weeks ago you began your LL journey. I'm happy to hear you're having a painless experience, keep it up!!

Good luck on the last ~1 cm!!! You got this!

Thanks @PerfectBody and right back at you!! You can do this.

And yup, time flies! I started the diary a month into distraction so that definitely skews things, but still, I don't know where the time has gone/how I'm already at 4cm :O

ab608

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 06:49:49 PM »

Update - we're at ~ 4.9 cm on the left leg and ~ 5.4 cm on the right (i accidentally switched the measurements of the legs in last post)

We're slowing down to .75mm on the right leg for the next 2 weeks because the regenerate is not as dense on one of the sides. I'm going to focus on increasing calorie intake  - work has been pretty busy these last few weeks and I tend to eat less when that happens, so I wonder if that's the reason.

Both legs are still a little off from each other in terms of length, all due to the fact that I accidentally lengthened one of them more than the other, which I talked about in an earlier post. The plan is to even them out at the end, since slowing down one of the legs now just to even them out could risk premature consolidation.

In terms of flexibility, weirdly I feel tighter on my left leg than my right, which has more length. My biggest issue is quads, so I stretch them *a lot* throughout the day, as much as I can. My left hamstring is also getting tighter, more than my right. I go to the pool more often now which is a huge help, especially since I enjoy stretching more in the water.

One of these days I'll post some links to all the things I've used throughout this process that I've found helpful, in case its of any use to anyone :)

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 01:34:31 AM »

Nice job, ab608! You seem to be chugging right along at a good clip 👍; I might have missed this, but what’s your goal? Curious about how you’re dealing with the weight bearing limits of precice 2.2; how’s that going for ya? You able to get around ok?
171 cm (day height)

ab608

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »

Nice job, ab608! You seem to be chugging right along at a good clip 👍; I might have missed this, but what’s your goal? Curious about how you’re dealing with the weight bearing limits of precice 2.2; how’s that going for ya? You able to get around ok?

Thank you! For now my goal is 6.5 ish cm, but I'm going to monitor and see how I'm feeling - I might decide to go for less or more

Yup, I've been getting around fine so far. What makes it easy is definitely having my family with me - I'm super fortunate and grateful to have them. They help with all the big stuff like food and getting to/from appointments. We're also staying in a small apartment, so it's not hard to wheel around and do what I need to do.

V21

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »

How confident do you feel about the nail in your daily life? I'm terrified I'm going to bend it or break it lol. I'm 74 kg though.

ab608

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 01:20:11 PM »

How confident do you feel about the nail in your daily life? I'm terrified I'm going to bend it or break it lol. I'm 74 kg though.

Haha, initially I was terrified too.. a week or so after surgery, my brother had to practically force me to get off the bed and practice transferring and start moving around/doing things. Once you get your transfers down, its really a piece of cake. What really helped me is getting a wheelchair where you can remove the armrests, which I think most wheelchairs do these days anyway. That makes it really easy to slide off and on things from the side of the wheelchair. All you have to do is use your arms and legs to push and slide off. I thought it'd take a lot of arm strength, but I have really weak arms and I can do it lol, so its really not too bad. I'm never really worried about breaking the nail. Before surgery, get your own wheelchair from Craigslist or something and practice all of your transfers wherever you'll be staying.

I'll put some links to Youtube vids I used to practice transferring, along with links of things I've used throughout the process, in a later post if that helps!

Want-3-inches

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 02:42:47 PM »

Thanks, this would be very helpful!

V21

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »

Haha, initially I was terrified too.. a week or so after surgery, my brother had to practically force me to get off the bed and practice transferring and start moving around/doing things. Once you get your transfers down, its really a piece of cake. What really helped me is getting a wheelchair where you can remove the armrests, which I think most wheelchairs do these days anyway. That makes it really easy to slide off and on things from the side of the wheelchair. All you have to do is use your arms and legs to push and slide off. I thought it'd take a lot of arm strength, but I have really weak arms and I can do it lol, so its really not too bad. I'm never really worried about breaking the nail. Before surgery, get your own wheelchair from Craigslist or something and practice all of your transfers wherever you'll be staying.

I'll put some links to Youtube vids I used to practice transferring, along with links of things I've used throughout the process, in a later post if that helps!

hahaha yeah, I'm already at home practising transfers, going to bed from my office chair. I have even weighed how much weight I put and its like only 10 kg. Besides, I think the weight goes in the calves during the transfer, and not on femurs (I keep a "seated" position". Thank you very much for your answers, I do am terrified of bending the nail. I even lost 10 kg to be as light as possible lol
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up