Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How mobile will I be during the procedure?  (Read 716 times)

Fnyc

How mobile will I be during the procedure?
« on: July 13, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »

I have several businesses I have worked very hard to build over the past few years and need to be physically down there at least a few times per week. I can train and hire staff to do the the physical tasks I was used to doing, but am trying to understand logistically what I have to do ahead of time.

From what I've read there is the procedure and a potential several day hospital stay. What wasn't so clear was the state of mobility during the lengthening time. Am I in a weelchair? Am I on crutches? Am I able to put any weight on my legs? Can I go down to my facility and hobble around to just make sure everything is going okay?

Worst case scenario I can hire a new person just to do everything and keep the businesses going for as long as it takes me to get this over with

Fnyc

Re: How mobile will I be during the procedure?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »

Also I should have my parents able to drive me around, or I can just pay someone and for ubers, etc. More worried about going up/down stairs

Worzezterlire

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 01:38:42 PM »

What method are you doing?

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 05:45:40 PM »

I have several businesses I have worked very hard to build over the past few years and need to be physically down there at least a few times per week. I can train and hire staff to do the the physical tasks I was used to doing, but am trying to understand logistically what I have to do ahead of time.

From what I've read there is the procedure and a potential several day hospital stay. What wasn't so clear was the state of mobility during the lengthening time. Am I in a weelchair? Am I on crutches? Am I able to put any weight on my legs? Can I go down to my facility and hobble around to just make sure everything is going okay?

Worst case scenario I can hire a new person just to do everything and keep the businesses going for as long as it takes me to get this over with

Note that Betz is booked until Feb 2022. Stryde will not return until 2023. This realistically only leaves Guichet and Precise as your options.

Guichet Nail: Weight-bearing but has mechanical lengthening and not as widely adopted as Precise. I was able to walk stairs 4 days post-op on a similar nail. Depending on your PT, your mobility will deteriorate over time, as muscle atrophy and wide legs set in. You will be need to be on crutches outside of your home, simply to reduce the likelihood of nail breakage.

Precise: Weight-bearing up to 68kg~, but you will need to be on wheelchair most of the time.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Fnyc

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 12:18:07 AM »

Note that Betz is booked until Feb 2022. Stryde will not return until 2023. This realistically only leaves Guichet and Precise as your options.

Guichet Nail: Weight-bearing but has mechanical lengthening and not as widely adopted as Precise. I was able to walk stairs 4 days post-op on a similar nail. Depending on your PT, your mobility will deteriorate over time, as muscle atrophy and wide legs set in. You will be need to be on crutches outside of your home, simply to reduce the likelihood of nail breakage.

Precise: Weight-bearing up to 68kg~, but you will need to be on wheelchair most of the time.

So it is not a bad idea to wait a year or so to see an update on the stryde nail? Weelchair for 6 months is a no for me

I am looking at Rozbruch / Paley

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 07:29:27 AM »

So it is not a bad idea to wait a year or so to see an update on the stryde nail? Weelchair for 6 months is a no for me

I'd say it'd be wheelchair for 3 months and crutches for another 3.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Fiveandsomething

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »

If LON weren’t hands down the devils torture I’d say with LON YOUd be pretty mobile after a month. You’d be mobile prior to but the month marks things seem to easen up.
Meh.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 02:55:00 PM »

If you have no need to get lengthening done ASAP then sure wait for Stryde.  It might be 2023 though before they figure something out.  There’s also the risk it never returns.  I’ve had two surgeons tell me that, both are connected to Nuvasive very closely.

Precise 2.2 would require a wheelchair at work but you can use forearm crutches or a walker as well.  If you’re on your feet all day then yeah it’s not an option.

Fnyc

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 01:25:37 AM »

If you have no need to get lengthening done ASAP then sure wait for Stryde.  It might be 2023 though before they figure something out.  There’s also the risk it never returns.  I’ve had two surgeons tell me that, both are connected to Nuvasive very closely.

Precise 2.2 would require a wheelchair at work but you can use forearm crutches or a walker as well.  If you’re on your feet all day then yeah it’s not an option.

You mean two surgeons have told you stryde may never return?

trunkmonkey

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 02:11:13 AM »

You mean two surgeons have told you stryde may never return?

They've been recalled for corrosion issues. They will need to find a fix and be re approved by the FDA, so there is a possibility it won't be released again.

Other companies have been working on nails, PROLIXO is a fully weight bearing, magnetic nail that the company thought would likely release within 24 months from March of this year. They haven't released many details so we don't know if its design might suffer from similar corrosion issues and be rejected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up