Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Returning to work  (Read 370 times)

tacoma94

Returning to work
« on: July 25, 2021, 05:01:26 PM »

Do you think 4.5cm Stryde on femurs would be too disruptive to a career? I suppose the surgery can both shut you down physically (pain, walking) and mentally (sleep deprivation, exhaustion). Would 3 months be ok for you to feel mentally back to normal and ready to return to career 100% (not a physical line of work)

Worzezterlire

Re: Returning to work
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 05:27:36 PM »

Well Stryde is recalled so that part of the question will be irrelevant for another 2 years.  I’ll answer for precise 2.2.

You can return to work 2 week after surgery and be somewhat productive.  If you have high pain tolerance, you can skip painkillers and be at 90% of your normal ability.  If you have a low one like me, then 70%.  Either way you will need an hour a day of physical therapy which is probably closer to 90 minutes including transportation to and from.

I’m at 4cm with precise 2.2 femurs and if I stopped now I would probably consolidate in another 30 days, which would put me at nearly 3 months end to end.  I would be walking without a limp another 3 months after.  So it would be 6 months end to end to get to 100% physically, I’d imagine once you consolidate you’ll be off pain meds and everything except blood thinners which may continue well past consolidation.  Those barely affect your judgement though, you’ll be at 99% capacity once you’re off everything but the thinners I’d reckon.

I started working 2 weeks after surgery.  I now recommend people taking time off or work part time if able to in order to focus on their lengthening, but if you MUST continue work like I have to, you can make it work.  Make sure your boss knows you’ll be slightly less productive for 3 months first, no need to tell him/her what surgery you got, just that it’s very serious

ab608

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »

I'm consolidating with Precice right now and I largely agree with HobbitMan! The only details I'd add are that some weeks were rough when I wasn't able to get good quality sleep. My body really needs the full 8 hours lol, so the times that I had sleepless nights made work pretty tough. Luckily my job is pretty flexible -- I can work any time of the day really as long as I get my work done. I also found it kind of tough to work from a desk + chair setup during lengthening, so I worked from my bed a lot, which wasn't great for my productivity. I definitely was more productive and engaged pre-lengthening, but I was still able to swing it and get by. If you are able to take time off, that's ideal, but it's not impossible and I'm sure you can figure out a routine that works well for you pretty quickly.

tacoma94

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 01:14:42 AM »

Got it thanks! I will in all likelihood budget three months off work just for this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up