Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying on a Plane with Precise 2.2 Non-weight-bearing nails  (Read 422 times)

LU213

Hello,
I am planning for LL in the next 6 months with precise 2.2 with Dr. D in Nevada or betzbone in Germany. I am still deciding.  If I do precise it will be next month. If I do betzbone, next appointments are not until January.  Did anyone fly with precise 2.2? Please tell me how it was?  I will leave 3 weeks after surgery.  I am concerned about being on a plane after Precise 2.2 surgery with no handicap accessible bathrooms and the inability  to walk for extended hours. I am also concerned about blood clot risk.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Worzezterlire

Re: Flying on a Plane with Precise 2.2 Non-weight-bearing nails
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 06:51:13 PM »

Dr Debiparshad right?

I flew on a plane 2 weeks after my precise 2.2 femur surgery with him.  It’s not fun to fly, but you’ll be on blood thinners starting the day after surgery.  The biggest pain with flying is calling the airline ahead of time, arriving early so someone with the airline can wheel you around, and checking in your ERC device.  Your ass will hurt bad by the end of the day from sitting all day but that’s the worst I’ve encountered in terms of symptoms.

It was a lot less bad than I thought it would be.  I wouldn’t decide just based on the plane ride.  It’s not fun but it was one of the easier things of that first two week period.  Getting in and out of cars right after surgery was much harder.

Activatedxx

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 07:31:58 PM »

Hello,
I am planning for LL in the next 6 months with precise 2.2 with Dr. D in Nevada or betzbone in Germany. I am still deciding.  If I do precise it will be next month. If I do betzbone, next appointments are not until January.  Did anyone fly with precise 2.2? Please tell me how it was?  I will leave 3 weeks after surgery.  I am concerned about being on a plane after Precise 2.2 surgery with no handicap accessible bathrooms and the inability  to walk for extended hours. I am also concerned about blood clot risk.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I flew a 22 hour flight with femur fixators on, you’ll be fine
You just call all the airlines your flight is with and they help you go to the bathroom and get on the flight and everything
I sat on a pillow on the flight, but I felt pretty terrible the whole time but it’s do-able, if I had p2 I would consider it just inconvenient
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

LU213

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »

That is right Dr. Debiparshad.  Thank you that helps a lot.

LU213

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 08:17:09 PM »

Thanks. I am going to get a pillow.

ryand2021

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 09:32:46 PM »

You will be able to get wheelchair service through your airline. Make sure you get some cash to pay the tips (in the U.S.).

The biggest challenge is that the bathroom door on the plane is too small for the walker to fit in. Even if you can manage to get into the bathroom through backward hopping, you will find it difficult to sit on the toilet since your walker is being blocked by the bathroom door. Therefore you may want to bring a bottle just in case. You will also find it difficult to lock the door on your own since the walker is getting stuck in the middle. If you are travelling alone, tell the flight attendant to help you block the door. In the event of turbulence do not use bathroom, as you can quickly lose balance, causing weightbearing concerns.

Try to find an aisle seat if you can.
LL: March 2021; Femur Precice 2 with Paley
Before: 170cm; After: 178cm.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 10:01:13 PM »

You will be able to get wheelchair service through your airline. Make sure you get some cash to pay the tips (in the U.S.).

The biggest challenge is that the bathroom door on the plane is too small for the walker to fit in. Even if you can manage to get into the bathroom through backward hopping, you will find it difficult to sit on the toilet since your walker is being blocked by the bathroom door. Therefore you may want to bring a bottle just in case. You will also find it difficult to lock the door on your own since the walker is getting stuck in the middle. If you are travelling alone, tell the flight attendant to help you block the door. In the event of turbulence do not use bathroom, as you can quickly lose balance, causing weightbearing concerns.

Try to find an aisle seat if you can.

I would go a step further and say to not drink any liquid more than an hour before the flight and to piss right before boarding  ;D  assuming you don’t have a weak bladder you can probably survive any flight less than 8 hours that way.

LU213

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »

Great advice from both of you. The bathroom is my biggest concern and I didn't even think about tips because I never have cash.  The flight is about 5.5 hours so I will take the advice of avoiding drinking to save myself the aggravation and potential humiliation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up