Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur +6cm with Dr. Betz  (Read 1696 times)

Roger1300

• Visitor
Femur +6cm with Dr. Betz
« on: August 04, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »

Hello,

Just had my initial consultation with Dr. Betz this week.
I'll have the surgery sometime in September (in fact Betz is full until Feb 2022 but a slot might open up in September hopefully.)

I'll write my journal in this thread. I'm 25 yo, 173cm, and will lengthen my femurs by 6-7 cm.

So far, I was surprised by how little Dr. Betz did NOT emphasize the importance of pre op flexibility, compared to Guichet who is crazy about it (I had another consultation with Guichet a few months ago but decided to go with Betz because of recent stories I've read).

Best

slender

• Visitor
Re: Femur +6cm with Dr. Betz
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 10:04:56 PM »

Good luck! Loving all these Betz diaries lately.
Betz 2022

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 08:19:42 PM »

Hello,

I'll have the surgery sometime in September (in fact Betz is full until Feb 2022 but a slot might open up in September hopefully.)

I'll write my journal in this thread. I'm 25 yo, 173cm, and will lengthen my femurs by 6-7 cm.

So far, I was surprised by how little Dr. Betz did NOT emphasize the importance of pre op flexibility, compared to Guichet who is crazy about it (I had another consultation with Guichet a few months ago but decided to go with Betz because of recent stories I've read).

Best

Do stretch your IT Bands and hamstrings. Betz doesn't perform ITB release, so most patients will have some form of wideleg / duckass during lengthening.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Bob

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 08:34:31 PM »

Do stretch your IT Bands and hamstrings. Betz doesn't perform ITB release, so most patients will have some form of wideleg / duckass during lengthening.

What's the reason for Betz doesn't perform ITB release?

Growing

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 09:48:46 PM »

Hello,

Best

Good luck man.. WOW, he's booked to feb 2022? I wonder if those are all LL patients. Honestly I would even know how many guys was doing this until I found this forum. And I'm sure its way more than we think. Especially guys who's not on the forum just living their everyday lives.

LU213

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 05:49:47 AM »

I had a consult with Betz and he said he doesn't like to do an ITB release because he sees no reason to destroy perfectly good muscle that will stretch adequately with proper PT. He said the magnetic nail needs the ITB release more than his nail because it is not as strong.  He said those for whom the ITB didn't stretch usually did not do the required PT 5 times a week for 12 weeks. He and his wife also said - if you want ITB release, no problem I/he will do it if you ask for it before the surgery.

RB

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 07:57:36 AM »

Hello,

Best

All the best mate!

I had a consult with Betz and he said he doesn't like to do an ITB release because he sees no reason to destroy perfectly good muscle that will stretch adequately with proper PT. He said the magnetic nail needs the ITB release more than his nail because it is not as strong.  He said those for whom the ITB didn't stretch usually did not do the required PT 5 times a week for 12 weeks. He and his wife also said - if you want ITB release, no problem I/he will do it if you ask for it before the surgery.

The part about not doing PT 5 times a week as being the reason the ITB doesn't stretch isn't true at all. Ask any physio or orthopaedic surgeon aside from Betz and they will say that the ITB has very little stretching capacity and former athletes and runners are more likely to have tight ITB's during lengthening as well. I was doing very regular stretches and exercises maybe 6/7 times per week which included ITB stretches so in some people they will run into ITB issues regardless which is why it's always better to release it in the initial surgery.

When he says it will stretch with PT, if you develop wide legs it will take a long long time of vigorous PT to bring the legs back in. I would still have wide legs if it wasn't for me doing the release.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Roger1300

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »

Thanks for the kind words mate !  :)

This ITB and wide leg issue is scaring me a bit. I'm wondering if I should ask Betz to release it during the initial surgery.
I'll take any tips or pre-op exercises you have for this though.

Thanks

Fiveandsomething

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 01:26:44 PM »

Thanks for the kind words mate !  :)

This ITB and wide leg issue is scaring me a bit. I'm wondering if I should ask Betz to release it during the initial surgery.
I'll take any tips or pre-op exercises you have for this though.

Thanks

Damn I have wide legs rn man. During pt it gets better but soon as I wake up in the morning it’s back wide. I already know I’ll need more than usual PT.

Big yikes to thinking I was gonna be walking fine in a month. I literally cannot close my legs unless in a lying position after multiple stretches and exercises.
Meh.

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 07:54:50 PM »

Usual PT definitely doesn't work. You need 30min of IT Band focused stretching every day to narrow those legs. Muscle weakness will also set in during month 2. Everything will get better after you stop lengthening though, so it's OK!
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Fiveandsomething

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 09:30:18 PM »

Usual PT definitely doesn't work. You need 30min of IT Band focused stretching every day to narrow those legs. Muscle weakness will also set in during month 2. Everything will get better after you stop lengthening though, so it's OK!

Yeah I stopped about 10 days now. Hopefully it gets better within a month. There’s mad pain when I attempt to close my legs.
Meh.

Roger1300

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 08:05:07 PM »

Wow ! Did you go with Betz ?
I'm going to stretch the hell out of my ITB before the operation ...

Roger1300

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 09:07:41 AM »

Hey, my Femur surgery with Betz is scheduled for the end of January.
I want to do it earlier though, so if anyone is scheduled earlier and want to postpone, and switch with me, PM me.

Thanks

Roger1300

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »

Hey folks,

my surgery with Dr. Betz is scheduled for the very beginning of December.

If anyone has a date with Betz before December and wants to switch with me, I'm open to it! DM me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up