Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precice 2.2 with Dr. Giotikas, September 2021  (Read 2279 times)

Nights

• Visitor
Precice 2.2 with Dr. Giotikas, September 2021
« on: August 31, 2021, 10:53:17 PM »

I feel like I must give back to ll forum community by documenting my experience as reading other ppl journals helped me out immensely.
I'll try to answer any and all questions and give you guys regular updates. I def value privacy but I'll try to do my best to be as Precice (yikes!) as possible.

About Me

Male, 25 yo, 173cm

Goal

7cm, hopefully all the way up to 8cm if I don't get any complications along the way

Surgery

Precice 2.2 nail, Dr. Dimitrios Giotikas in Athens, surgery planned for mid September
Going alone so wouldn't mind connecting with other patients to pass time (over a beer maybe if that's allowed?)
I'm planning to stay in Athens for the whole duration of lengthening + part of consolidation period (long time), the idea is to fly out of Athens when I'll be able to at least partially weightbear on crutches

Bagga

Re: Precice 2.2 with Dr. Giotikas, September 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 02:00:22 AM »

why did you choose Gnail instead?

LU213

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 04:56:16 AM »

Where does he say that he chose GNail?  It looks like this is a Precise 2.2 surgery.  I didn't know Greece had received the Precise Nail.  There was such a delay every month with it being promised and then delayed.

Sorcerer

• O' captain! My captain!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 05:00:15 AM »

Very pleased to see you volunteer to update!
And you wanna lengthen your tibias or femurs?7-8cm on tibias is dangerous.

V21

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 05:16:01 AM »

Is it sure 100% that Precice will be back for September? I thougth there was not an official confirmation. In any case, I'm already a patient here in Greece (G nail), you can contact in you need anything¡ Good luck man.

Nights

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 09:16:34 AM »

Is it sure 100% that Precice will be back for September? I thougth there was not an official confirmation. In any case, I'm already a patient here in Greece (G nail), you can contact in you need anything¡ Good luck man.

Cheers bro! Will shoot you a DM. Yeah, there is a significant chance the surgery will be delayed; Dr G office should give me an update soon.

Where does he say that he chose GNail?  It looks like this is a Precise 2.2 surgery.  I didn't know Greece had received the Precise Nail.  There was such a delay every month with it being promised and then delayed.

To be fair, September was the last expected month of Precice return to EU (at least according to Dr G)

Yep, I'm doing femurs

MorningStar

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 09:35:29 AM »

Good luck, man! Let's keep in touch!
+6 cm tibia LATN with dr. Dimitrios Giotikas: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=67949.0
2021-08-26: First surgery
2021-11-24: Nailing surgery

Growing

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »

Good luck man. we are about the same height. What is your current weight? I'm thinking of maybe doing precise as well.

JimmyJW

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 04:17:46 PM »

Good luck.

LU213

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 04:21:38 PM »

I will be there mid-September so if you arrive, you can PM me.

overandover

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 05:17:11 PM »

Any reason you didn't choose G-nail which is full weight bearing?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 04:19:55 AM »

https://www.athensbjr.com/methods-of-bone-fixation-in-limb-lengthening/#1586804812157-43dd5a1a-d6dc

"Because of Precise-2’s weight bearing restrictions, we now offer Precise-2 in selected cases  only and after appropriate consultation. ( See more in Limb Lengthening Options and Financial Considerations.)"

What are the most common reasons he rejects people for precise 2?

LU213

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 10:13:23 PM »

Interesting development.  Dr. G is now focusing on G Nail.  I wonder why - other than Precice 2.2 being hard to come by in Europe.  It is readily available in the US.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 11:43:00 PM »

Does he only have precise as internals option for tibias? I don't see gnail for tibia
https://www.athensbjr.com/methods-of-bone-fixation-in-limb-lengthening/#1586804812157-43dd5a1a-d6dc

Can gnail be used on tibia?

Nights

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 08:23:25 PM »

Hey guys, just a heads-up, lost access to my account for a while.

As anticipated my surgery has been postponed to the end of October, so I'm just chilling right now.
Dr. Giotikas office expects Precice to make a comeback sometime in October. Waiting for an email when Precice is 100% confirmed to make all the arrangements.

"Because of Precise-2’s weight bearing restrictions, we now offer Precise-2 in selected cases  only and after appropriate consultation. ( See more in Limb Lengthening Options and Financial Considerations.)"

What are the most common reasons he rejects people for precise 2?

This is outdated information from the times when Stryde was readily available.

Any reason you didn't choose G-nail which is full weight bearing?
I think Precice might be more well studied as it's used by multiple surgeons (including Paley) rn and is approved by FDA + I don't think clicking is for me.
G Nail seems to be pretty reliable too though.

cheers, femurs it is

Will be visiting this forum more regularly from now on.
Just not much to share now, doing some stretching, losing a bit of weight to prepare for the surgery.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 04:49:24 AM »

Good luck on your journey!

What is your advice for finding a place in Athens that can accommodate someone on crutches/wheelchair?

Even gnail requires some time in wheelchair right?

Nights

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »

Good luck on your journey!

What is your advice for finding a place in Athens that can accommodate someone on crutches/wheelchair?

Even gnail requires some time in wheelchair right?

To be frank finding a wheelchair-accessible place in Athens is not too easy (looked at airbnb and a few aparthotels), so ideally you'd want to book well in advance.
In my case I simply can't book in advance because Precice comeback is not yet confirmed.

V21

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »

As a patient currently in Athens, I strongly advice to study carefully the appartment you are going to use: steps, height of toilet, entrance to bathroom, height of bed... I was going to do Precice in the beginning and I thought my appartment was great, and know I can tell you 100% that there would have been no way for me to get in  toilet or bath with Precice, due to lack of space for wheelchair. In fact, I had difficulties even with G Nail. This city is not adapted at all to disabled people.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 03:24:13 AM »

"I strongly advice to study carefully the appartment you are going to use: steps, height of toilet, entrance to bathroom, height of bed"

ty!!! What do I look for specifically when trying to find good steps, what is a good toilet height for a 5'7 person, what are some common problems with bathroom entrances, etc?

Do you want a shorter bed during LL or how do you decide?

The thing is, I imagine I won't be able to visit each place I'm considering, only will get some overly nice looking pictures

Nights

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 07:45:32 AM »

As a patient currently in Athens, I strongly advice to study carefully the appartment you are going to use: steps, height of toilet, entrance to bathroom, height of bed... I was going to do Precice in the beginning and I thought my appartment was great, and know I can tell you 100% that there would have been no way for me to get in  toilet or bath with Precice, due to lack of space for wheelchair. In fact, I had difficulties even with G Nail. This city is not adapted at all to disabled people.

Yep, airbnb has some wheelchair-accessible options (wide doors elevator etc), but I'm coming to Athens earlier to verify for myself the place is 100% accessible.
I've been to Athens a couple times myself and yeah got an impression of a pretty typical hectic southern european city, so I know it's going to be on hard mode.
V21 are you using airbnb as well?

V21

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 07:56:14 AM »

Yep, airbnb has some wheelchair-accessible options (wide doors elevator etc), but I'm coming to Athens earlier to verify for myself the place is 100% accessible.
I've been to Athens a couple times myself and yeah got an impression of a pretty typical hectic southern european city, so I know it's going to be on hard mode.
V21 are you using airbnb as well?
Yeah, I got an airbnb apparment in the center for 3 months. All looked good and then you come and the street is really uneven and it's hard to use the wheelchair. That's the kind of thing I was talking about¡ In any case, if you want to you can PM and we can speak trought whatsapp or something¡ Happy to help if I can, I will be here until 15th November.

Super-JR

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »

So it is true Precice 2.2 is back.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2021, 09:02:39 PM »

What do you find yourself leaving the apartment for most in Athens? What's your advice for wheelchair use during precise 2.2?
Pages: [1]   Go Up