Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadrilateral lengthening - Dr. Paley & Robbins  (Read 9756 times)

motoboarder

Re: Quadrilateral lengthening - Dr. Paley & Robbins
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 09:44:29 PM »

Thanks informationispower

1) Why did you stop at the amount you did?

2) are you happy about the results as in height gained and proportionally? Is the neurosis gone?

1. I reached my goal, and I wanted a healthy recovery & life after LL. Motorcycle & snowboard are the things I'll love to get back to. Genetically I'm from Asia. The culture where I'm from, my new height is considered tall.

2. Honestly I started to feel content at +8.5cm mark. Proportion is a bit stretch theoretically, because my wingspan is 167cm. However if I pull my pants 3-4cm below the belly button, I think I look fine (while walking with the walker).

Height neurosis is looooong gone! To elaborate.. I used to have days that I laid down hours on the sofa doing nothing. Somehow at the back of my head, I knew I was unhappy with my own statue. Now, I'm productive throughout the day and that I'm still on wheelchair. I'm introvert type, lived alone for several years (alone - but not lonely, if you listen to Alan Walker's haha). I believe I had inner peace. Now after LL, feel like my inner peace expands even further.
Asian male age 30-36; 163cm -> Gained 4cm tibias & 5.6cm femurs
Tibia surgery 01/18/2022; Femur surgery 02/01/2022
Diary http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=69090.0
Recommended wheelchair transport in West Palm Beach: East Coast Taxi (561) 651-1111 (please DON'T mention it's from me)

informationispower

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 11:29:36 PM »

I am also curious, having done both segments, which one in your opinion has a bigger inflyence proportionally? As in which one can accomodate more length before looking odd? Femur or Tibia?

Sorry if the question sounds studpid or weird

motoboarder

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 12:22:10 AM »

..which one can accomodate more length before looking odd? Femur or Tibia?

All good, think I understand your question. Subjectively I'd say femur. Observing my own image (standing/walking with walker), with pants on I sometimes feel the tibia is longer than femur (in a good proportional way), even though I lengthened it less. I guess this's because our thighs are concealed by pants, giving the impression that they only run from crotch to knee. Whereas the lower legs are fully exposed, plus the vertical height of our feet which is not even part of tibias length. Statistically this makes sense because most LLers lengthened their femurs. And at +6/+7cm mark, their proportion still looks fine with casual clothes.

From a medical standpoint, bone length: tibia/femur = 0.8 +/-0.02. If you have consultancy for LL, the doctor will assess your ratio and advise whether you're a candidate for tibia or femur lengthening. Mine was 0.81 before surgery.
Recommended wheelchair transport in West Palm Beach: East Coast Taxi (561) 651-1111 (please DON'T mention it's from me)

Oswego

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 08:24:46 PM »

Hi Motoboarder, how did you find the quality of care with Dr. Paley and his team overall? I'm seeing him for a consultation in 2 weeks and hoping to schedule the procedure within the next few months, and I'm wondering if in the end you found it worth the $$$ he charges. I'm willing to pay it since everyone seems to have pretty glowing reviews of the guy and his practice, but always nice to get a more recent patient's perspective.
Current height: 165cm

Goal height: 173cm with Dr. Paley

motoboarder

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2022, 04:33:00 PM »

hi Oswego. Yeah at ~2mo into consolidation now, I still think it worth the price. 2 surgeons will operate on your legs, Dr. Paley & Dr. Robbins each does 1 leg. During lengthening, you'll meet an amazing PT team who are very good at their job and provide awesome emotional support. Overall convenient logistics for patients. If I'd to pick the best feature, it's the PT team.

You're in good hand. Good luck with your journey ahead. Ask to speak to a patient during your consultancy if possible.

overandover

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2022, 04:43:28 PM »

Did you start walking? If so how long did it take you to walk? I mean bear weight.

motoboarder

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »

Nope I'm not allowed yet, still walking with the walker. Legs felt more sturdy each day, feel like I'm 80% weight bearing. I started walking with the walker on the day I stopped lengthening April 20th-ish.

DownLand

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2022, 06:44:08 PM »

Hi, I did LL by my parents! Now I am already 181.5cm barefoot from 165cm! How about the current physical pains?

motoboarder

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2022, 07:59:48 PM »

Hi, I did LL by my parents! Now I am already 181.5cm barefoot from 165cm! How about the current physical pains?

lol I think I could barely understand you. Did you already lengthen or are you planning to go from 165 to 181? Right now I have no pain whatsoever. Legs feel like a pair of normal legs. Some people reported having knee pain after starting to walk. I'll keep you guys posted.

motoboarder

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2022, 04:47:19 PM »

Hello lads. Here's my monthly x-ray update.

https://imgur.com/a/YHbAFS3

My right femur bone is skewed toward inside of the thigh. Does anyone know if the bone would shape more normal as it heals further? I'm waiting on Dr. Robbins for his comments.

motoboarder

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2022, 07:40:52 PM »

And the response I got from Dr. Robbins
----------------
hello
your xrays from --/--/22 show very nice interval healing of all bones
i am not concerned about the bone healing
you can stop crutches/walker
you can start walking without support if you have good balance and strength
you can stop xeralto
you can WALK only for the next month
no jumping,, running, sports
please send new xrays in one month

small

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2022, 12:54:52 AM »

Hi motoboarder thank you so much for this informative diary, glad to see you're recovering well! I am also in the IT industry and work remotely, I was wondering how many months do you recommend taking off work for this procedure? Or can I continue to work while going through the process?

ikocak

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2022, 09:25:39 AM »

Hey motorboarder! Thank you. It’s really informative diary and I m hoping to see your walking videos! Good luck on your journey!

overandover

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2022, 04:07:08 PM »

Hey man, Can you tell if femur is more difficult or tibia? I got early consolidation in my femurs at 6cm and now I have 2 options. Either to rebreak or go for tibia after a year. What do you think I should do?

6CMFemurs

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2022, 04:57:39 PM »

Hey man, Can you tell if femur is more difficult or tibia? I got early consolidation in my femurs at 6cm and now I have 2 options. Either to rebreak or go for tibia after a year. What do you think I should do?

Definitely rebreak femurs with nail in place. The amount of money and time for a whole new tibia surgery is immense.

darkred

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »

Yes , that will be very interesting to know that

balme

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2022, 01:49:28 AM »

how is your gait now? i want to do quad with similar length (total 10~11cm), i wonder how many months needed to look unnoticable while walkin?

motoboarder

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2022, 09:41:33 PM »

I think my gait is quite good now and the feeling when walking is getting closer to normal. My gait was definitely NOT normal the first month or so of walking unaided. Elaborated: I felt a weakness spot on my right femur, causing right leg to feel weak/discomfort to put force on. As a result, my posture slightly tilted to the right when walking & putting weight on that side. Within the last month or so, this issue visibly lessened each week.

I think someone asked about proportion post lengthening. Here's my standing take at the end of July. Walking pic with long pants taken around mid-August.
https://imgur.com/a/6p1Uyge

Timeline summary, for my case I'd say, I'll be very comfortable with my walking at 5mo after stop lengthening. Long distance walking (i.e. hiking) is a different story though as I'll need to work on my cardio.

motoboarder

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2022, 10:03:10 PM »

About weight: you'll gain weight fast after starting to walk partially with crutches and unaided. My weight has been 148 to 152lbs since around last month, measured with minimum at-home clothes on.

shortisnotfun

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2022, 10:10:01 PM »

About weight: you'll gain weight fast after starting to walk partially with crutches and unaided. My weight has been 148 to 152lbs since around last month, measured with minimum at-home clothes on.

Do you think you would  be able to walk normally sooner if you were allowed to weightbear sooner?
My story of how Yuksel Yurttas crippled me:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=85804.0

motoboarder

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2022, 10:30:49 PM »

Do you think you would  be able to walk normally sooner if you were allowed to weightbear sooner?

Personally, I don't think so. Rushing to walk may cause bones to not heal/shape appropriately and once it hardens, becomes a permanent issue worse than delaying a few months of not walking. I strictly followed my doctor's advices during recovery so I guess it takes as long as it takes. The bones have to heal sufficient enough to provide a foundation for the muscles to regain their strength.

Unrelated, there's a friend whose father suffered a car incident & injured his right tibia. He rushed to walk. Now his 2 legs are permanently unequal. And you can guess, the right leg is shorter.

shortisnotfun

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2022, 12:39:58 AM »

Personally, I don't think so. Rushing to walk may cause bones to not heal/shape appropriately and once it hardens, becomes a permanent issue worse than delaying a few months of not walking. I strictly followed my doctor's advices during recovery so I guess it takes as long as it takes. The bones have to heal sufficient enough to provide a foundation for the muscles to regain their strength.

Unrelated, there's a friend whose father suffered a car incident & injured his right tibia. He rushed to walk. Now his 2 legs are permanently unequal. And you can guess, the right leg is shorter.

Would you recommend me to do quadrilateral for 13cm? Im 159-160 cm currently.

motoboarder

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2022, 01:32:48 AM »

Would you recommend me to do quadrilateral for 13cm? Im 159-160 cm currently.

No, likely too much. I'd say between 8-10cm, 2 segments. Lookup user "GodsGrace" he posted in my diary too. He was your height and he did well with 9.6 or 9.7cm. We met in-person at Paley's during lengthening.

shortisnotfun

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2022, 05:10:45 AM »

No, likely too much. I'd say between 8-10cm, 2 segments. Lookup user "GodsGrace" he posted in my diary too. He was your height and he did well with 9.6 or 9.7cm. We met in-person at Paley's during lengthening.

I see. Do you think you could have done 13cm? Would have it been too difficult?

motoboarder

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2022, 05:34:58 AM »

No, neither. I had numbness at the front of my right tibia at about 2week left of lengthening (to hit my goal). So I think pushing to 10cm would be difficult, let alone 13cm.

balme

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2022, 12:24:35 AM »

No, neither. I had numbness at the front of my right tibia at about 2week left of lengthening (to hit my goal). So I think pushing to 10cm would be difficult, let alone 13cm.

so, what will be the total time until you have unnoticable gait?

motoboarder

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2022, 01:08:27 AM »

so, what will be the total time until you have unnoticable gait?

"unnoticable" could be judged by anyone. If by me, I'd say I'm unnoticeable now. So, with the amount of lengthening I did, about 4-5mo after stop lengthening. +3mo of lengthening without slow-down since the date they broke my legs. You're looking at 7-8mo in total.

balme

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2022, 12:58:15 PM »

"unnoticable" could be judged by anyone. If by me, I'd say I'm unnoticeable now. So, with the amount of lengthening I did, about 4-5mo after stop lengthening. +3mo of lengthening without slow-down since the date they broke my legs. You're looking at 7-8mo in total.
that's wonderful, congrats bro.

Friendly tod

• Visitor
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2022, 01:14:04 PM »

Finally find someone who did the surgery that I am intended to take. Hi, I am also an Asian at 168cm. I am having a hard time choosing whether to do the 4 cm increase or the 4+4 type. Do you think you could obtain 90% athletic abilities when fully recovered? I still want to go climbing and the gym to keep a healthy body. What did you doctor talk about athletic abilities recovery. Will that be your concern?

motoboarder

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:10 PM »

Finally find someone who did the surgery that I am intended to take. Hi, I am also an Asian at 168cm. I am having a hard time choosing whether to do the 4 cm increase or the 4+4 type. Do you think you could obtain 90% athletic abilities when fully recovered? I still want to go climbing and the gym to keep a healthy body. What did you doctor talk about athletic abilities recovery. Will that be your concern?

I think you should be fine to retain 90% fitness ability. I haven't asked my doctor specifically but I feel feasible to get to 90% of mine, given that I'm still in recovery. You'll do fine with either 4cm any segment or 4+4, as long as you don't slack on stretching.

motoboarder

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2022, 10:26:29 PM »

that's wonderful, congrats bro.

Thanks balme
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up