Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little bit less but more secure  (Read 9203 times)

168to175

• Visitor
A little bit less but more secure
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »

Hey guys and gals..After reading lots of diaries(especially Sweden),I just kind of got the idea"with LL U kind of going to lose lots of important abilities that we could've used in our lives...The other thing that was so interesting.. everyone who kind of had a little bit of experience is saying these things happen after passing 5 cm(2 inches).I have gave it a lot of thoughts,I really dont want to lose something this big( my legs)..I even heard there are people who have done this surgery and still after few years they are fighting with pain and some disabilities(like when they stand for a long time on their feet,or when they walk more than usual,when they run....)Now the question is how about just doing 3 or 4 cm on tibias and if I want more I'll go with the same amount on my femurs ..I can get a solid 7 cm and be kind of average....... is doing only 3.5 or 4 going to make everything a lot better or not? Is this going to prevent  problems with Achilles tendon and other muscles?
((Sweden and other vets please let me know what do you think ))

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: A little bit less but more secure
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »

Yes, if you have the time and money to spend on two surgeries it's better to do it that way.

168to175

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 07:56:46 PM »

thanks for your answer MDOW,so just doing 3.5 or 4 cm is not going to destroy them like other people have been saying..Right? I'm sorry for asking again,but I really wanted to know what would be the differences between doing 4 cm and 6 cm ( on tibias muscle,because I've heard people do too much lenghtening before 3.5 or 4 cm, so i figured maybe this is the safe spot without any problems,without hurting muscles and tendons )..If it's going to be close but a little bit better..I won't do that,Can someone please explain the differences,I would be really interested to know( I'm going to lose a lot of money and time over this for not losing those abilities,so this is kind of a game changer for me to know)Again,thanks for the answer  :)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »

You never really know for sure.  It's all about risk.  The more you lengthen, the higher your risk for complications.  Nobody can guarantee you that you won't have any problems after LL just because you lengthened only a little.

Sweden

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »

I think it's ridiculous to lengthen below 5cm. It's too much of a risk and you gain nothing with 3,5.

Around 5,5-6cm is the sweet spot. You don't overpush it and yet you're around the safe side.

I would personally recommend only to do 5cm. It's fully noticeable and you won't have severe ballerina if you do regular PT. I actually regret doing 7cm, I shouldn't have passed 6cm by a mm but it is what it is now.

If you do 5-7cm on femurs later you will have gained 11cm+ which is a huge amount of lengthening.

The risks are too high for only 3,5cm.
You could even die from general anesthesia.....
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

168to175

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »

Thanks Sweden for the answer,but I would never go for the second surgery..I'm already going to destroy my tibias muscle I don't want to do the sam with my femurs( Are u saying it's going to be weird only doing 5 cm on tibias and leave femurs alone?)Anyway,I'm no 100% sure about doing even 5 cm on my tibias to reach 5'8.Sure,I'm short now.But is it the right thing, losing health and my legs to gain height? I'm not even sure what I would lose if I do this..This is really bothering me(really bad)  :-\

KrP1

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »

if you are going to do 3.5cm, dont do anything, is stupid to have a big surgery for that

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »

Thanks Sweden for the answer,but I would never go for the second surgery..I'm already going to destroy my tibias muscle I don't want to do the sam with my femurs( Are u saying it's going to be weird only doing 5 cm on tibias and leave femurs alone?)Anyway,I'm no 100% sure about doing even 5 cm on my tibias to reach 5'8.Sure,I'm short now.But is it the right thing, losing health and my legs to gain height? I'm not even sure what I would lose if I do this..This is really bothering me(really bad)  :-\

Sounds like you shouldn't do LL, then.  The best candidates for the surgery want the height and are willing to take on the risks and drawbacks that go with the surgery.

168to175

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »

I was talking to a guy who did this surgery almost 3 years ago and he was saying he still has pain when he walks for a long time or when he runs,so I figured the pain and some big disabilities like not walking as long as you used to or standing up for a long time should be a permanent problem.The whole thing is undecided for me.I just don't want to rush to anything.Isn't it better to be careful and logical about after surgery or just rushing to it and hope every things will be fine? Oh.And I was reading your nice topic 'Have questions you'd like to ask someone who had LL six years ago? Ask them here  ' At the end I know you say it's all risk and who knows what would happen..But I always thought there was a dark side about LL that I didn't know before starting to read here..
Do you have any kind of pain now?? is there any thing that you can't do? And after how long you started to feel like what you were before..In your topic you mentioned that you have knee problems sometimes.. Is that all? what about you Achilles tendon or other muscles ? sorry for asking too much , but I just want to know more about life after LL.Thanks
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:22:40 PM by 168to175 »

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 05:49:34 PM »

I suppose you're right, it's better to be careful and logical about this surgery than to rush into it like I did.  I hope I can help you by answering any questions you have.  I got a good result, and sometimes I forget about the people who weren't as lucky.

All I have are stiff/sensitive knees sometimes.  Nothing is wrong with my Achilles tendon.  I got exertional compartment syndrome in my tibialis anterior muscles but had successful surgery (fasciotomy) to fix the problem.  I can walk long distances without having pain in the legs, and I can run fine.  There's nothing I can't do now that I could before the surgery.

Where did the guy who did his surgery 3 years ago get it done?  Who was the doctor?

168to175

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »

You've already helped me a lot,Now I can even see the dark side of LL,something that I couldn't see or hear on old forum ..Thanks for helping people here,you are a good man.
'All I have are stiff/sensitive knees sometimes' Is this because of nail surgeries..Was it possible to prevent knees problem with doing ilizarov's external method(Im asking this because I want to do this surgery in ilizarov center or Mitcovich).
About that guy,He did his surgery in ilizarov center but because he didn't have enough money he got back home soon immediately after lengthening phase and had never got back for frame removal,he did everything at his own country..
The sad thing is I don't know many people who have done this surgery with ilizarov external method(without nails) I want to know is this method going to prevent knees problem or not..because I think ,no surgery on knees so no problem on knees..but I'm not sure yet..
Thanks,thanks and thanks a lot for being here and helping us  :)

168to175

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 06:58:56 PM »

Or all of these knees problem are just related to having longer tibias?( I don't think so,are they?)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »

It was most likely caused by the nail insertion surgery.  My knees hurt a lot right after the surgery, in the same places they're now stiff and sensitive.

westercoasten

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »

I was talking to a guy who did this surgery almost 3 years ago and he was saying he still has pain when he walks for a long time or when he runs,so I figured the pain and some big disabilities like not walking as long as you used to or standing up for a long time should be a permanent problem.The whole thing is undecided for me.I just don't want to rush to anything.Isn't it better to be careful and logical about after surgery or just rushing to it and hope every things will be fine? Oh.And I was reading your nice topic 'Have questions you'd like to ask someone who had LL six years ago? Ask them here  ' At the end I know you say it's all risk and who knows what would happen..But I always thought there was a dark side about LL that I didn't know before starting to read here..
Do you have any kind of pain now?? is there any thing that you can't do? And after how long you started to feel like what you were before..In your topic you mentioned that you have knee problems sometimes.. Is that all? what about you Achilles tendon or other muscles ? sorry for asking too much , but I just want to know more about life after LL.Thanks
How much did he do? Was it femur or tibia?

168to175

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »

Only 5 cm,it was his tibias.

paco1

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »

and where did he make the surgery?

paco1

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »

i think like you, I won't lengthening so much and to lose a lot of sport ability, but the minimun that you can lengthening is 5, 5,5cm, because you will have some subsidence and you can lose around 0,5 cm. This, in tibias, in femurs you can lengthening a little bit and maintain your sport ability.

Adriano

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 03:35:46 AM »

Hey guys and gals..After reading lots of diaries(especially Sweden),I just kind of got the idea"with LL U kind of going to lose lots of important abilities that we could've used in our lives...The other thing that was so interesting.. everyone who kind of had a little bit of experience is saying these things happen after passing 5 cm(2 inches).I have gave it a lot of thoughts,I really dont want to lose something this big( my legs)..I even heard there are people who have done this surgery and still after few years they are fighting with pain and some disabilities(like when they stand for a long time on their feet,or when they walk more than usual,when they run....)Now the question is how about just doing 3 or 4 cm on tibias and if I want more I'll go with the same amount on my femurs ..I can get a solid 7 cm and be kind of average....... is doing only 3.5 or 4 going to make everything a lot better or not? Is this going to prevent  problems with Achilles tendon and other muscles?
((Sweden and other vets please let me know what do you think ))

Wait a minute, You are going to spend so much money and cut your knees open and break 4 bones for 4cm!!

Wow i didnt know 4 cm could make such a big difference that you would go as far as risking that much.

My oppinian.
Do 7cm on your femur and be done with it.

Most complications are on Tibia LL.

With femurs you dont have to worry about knee pain and ballerina, etc.

Blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 03:59:05 AM »

I think 4 cms would make a difference but I don't know if it would be worth it either.  At least it would probably be a quick recovery compared to 7 cms.

BilateralDamage

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 03:59:47 AM »

Wait a minute, You are going to spend so much money and cut your knees open and break 4 bones for 4cm!!

Wow i didnt know 4 cm could make such a big difference that you would go as far as risking that much.

My oppinian.

I'm around 4 cm lengthening of my femurs right now and while I enjoy the added height, it's not enough for me.  I want to grow the full 8 cm from this surgery.

I was also close to your starting height OP, I was originally 167 cm.  Femurs tend to get less complications than tibia surgeries so I'd suggest you save up to go with a good doctor for internal femoral lengthening.

programdude

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »

I agree with Big D, as I am going that route in two weeks. Unless I am having a really miserable time I will go for the 3 and a quarter, after all, the cash I'm spending could be a down payment for a house, gotta get the money and times worth, minimum I would accept is 3 inches.

From what I've seen, mostly all issues seem to stem from tibia lengthening/externals- scars, knee pain, ballerina. You also get faster recovery time this way, and less pain in comparison. I would never consider LL for less than 3 inches however, and I am 5 8 which is the upper spectrum of height on this site, but to each their own.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

westercoasten

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »

My oppinian.

4 cm may sound small in number, but its a huge difference. When im walking in my winterboots, they are 3,3 cm, I rarely feel short but in my regular shoes at 1,1 cm it happens alot more often. Standing on my scale which is 3,8 cm I can really feel how much it really is when I`m looking around and se how the level on everything changes, so yes, 4 cm actually is a big difference...

Wannabegiant

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

4 cm may sound small in number, but its a huge difference. When im walking in my winterboots, they are 3,3 cm, I rarely feel short but in my regular shoes at 1,1 cm it happens alot more often. Standing on my scale which is 3,8 cm I can really feel how much it really is when I`m looking around and se how the level on everything changes, so yes, 4 cm actually is a big difference...

Yes, i lengthened 4.3 cm and i agree that it is a significant difference, also i just look so much bigger overall when looking in the mirror despite being quite skinny, its remarkable how it changes the overall look.

For me it was the perfect increase because i wanted to be average in my country (Sweden) without losing much if any athletic performance.

Also, by lengthening around 4 cm, you avoid most complications unless you are really unlucky, and you save a  load of time, and time is more valuable than money. (although it still takes painfully long with external only)

Moubgf

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »

Wtf who pays over 50.000 us dollar for a increase of 4 cm. Hell stay home and give me the money i make more use of it than you guys.....

GeTs

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 03:25:09 PM »

man, u're forgetting they're short , for them 4 cm won't change that much, there's no point of lengthening 4 cm if you're below 170cm, but i kinda agree that it makes a big difference, your legs are longer and you appear taller than you're

Wannabegiant

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »

Wtf who pays over 50.000 us dollar for a increase of 4 cm. Hell stay home and give me the money i make more use of it than you guys.....

Yeah i would never do the surgery at all at that price even if i intended to do more than 4 cm.. fortunately there where much cheaper options available.

Moubgf

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »

wannabeG,

I am thinking about going to the place that did your surgery, Resonable price and Russian doctors are great at what they do.

yeah doing anything under 5'9 is waste of time in my opinion.. And lengthening less than 7cm is also waste. You are squezing those money to the maximum you are getting a distinct height gain that you can feel..."fk yeah im "bigger" "taller" whatever. I doubt you will get that feeling at 4-6 cm.
And add shoes to that puuh! you'd be a new man in terms of perception.

5'11 Is the maximum in terms of LL in my opinion. But that is to each and own. If you was originally 5'8 then that might tempt you to reach 6'1. But we under 5'8, got a emotional barrier than we wont be satisfied or done until we reach 5'11. Atleast i wont be.

"I'm around 4 cm lengthening of my femurs right now and while I enjoy the added height, it's not enough for me.  I want to grow the full 8 cm from this surgery."

Proof that the intuitive knowing inside of us wants that 7 cm mark. hardly anyone i've seen do less than 6. Some do but they got their cause for it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:23:08 AM by Slim_tim »

Wannabegiant

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 01:48:25 AM »

wannabeG,

I am thinking about going to the place that did your surgery, Resonable price and Russian doctors are great at what they do.

yeah doing anything under 5'9 is waste of time in my opinion.. And lengthening less than 7cm is also waste. You are squezing those money to the maximum you are getting a distinct height gain that you can feel..."fk yeah im "bigger" "taller" whatever. I doubt you will get that feeling at 4-6 cm.
And add shoes to that puuh! you'd be a new man in terms of perception.

5'11 Is the maximum in terms of LL in my opinion. But that is to each and own. If you was originally 5'8 then that might tempt you to reach 6'1. But we under 5'8, got a emotional barrier than we wont be satisfied or done until we reach 5'11. Atleast i wont be.

"I'm around 4 cm lengthening of my femurs right now and while I enjoy the added height, it's not enough for me.  I want to grow the full 8 cm from this surgery."

Proof that the intuitive knowing inside of us wants that 7 cm mark. hardly anyone i've seen do less than 6. Some do but they got their cause for it.

I know that in my case, 4.3 cm was definitely enough to make me feel "big" and to be satisfied. I havent  been walking around anyone other than my family and the hospital staff since the surgery but i definitely didnt feel short any more after i was done lengthening.

when im done i just need to bulk up and become a beast and i can finally get that complete alpha look and start acting it out more comfortably.
Pages: [1]   Go Up