Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Less Pressure to Be Tall for Asians Living Abroad?  (Read 1495 times)

elanxr

• Visitor
Less Pressure to Be Tall for Asians Living Abroad?
« on: November 30, 2022, 06:41:29 AM »

To the Asians out there living in western countries like U.S., Canada, Europe:  do you feel less pressure to be taller because westerners have a stereotype of Asians being short? Just curious how others feel about this. Not a comfortable conversation to have with friends, so better in a safe environment here.

I'm Asian-American living abroad in Asia and feel much more comfortable with my 168cm height here than if I were back in the U.S.

Others opinions appreciated.

z11k

• Visitor
Re: Less Pressure to Be Tall for Asians Living Abroad?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:07:27 AM »

In my personal experience, (I was kinda slow in HS mind you), I didn't realize I was short until senior year. I guess it was due to most my friends being Asian too (my school district had a large percentage of Asians compared to all the other districts around). I knew like 2.5 5'10+ tall Asians (one was mixed). But most were around my height or even shorter, so I felt actually decently tall/average. What's funny is my cousin who's taller than me (5'9.5) he's always been concerned about his height because he plays basketball. He'd always measure himself and pray to grow taller. His friends and he were on the basketball team so they were a lot taller on average, so I guess it's really about the crowd you hang with. I guess not everyone's lucky to have similar height friends and social groups.
Current: 171cm (5'7.5)
Method: Precice 2.2 Femurs
Goal: 8cm (5'10.5)

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 01:42:10 PM »

To the Asians out there living in western countries like U.S., Canada, Europe:  do you feel less pressure to be taller because westerners have a stereotype of Asians being short? Just curious how others feel about this. Not a comfortable conversation to have with friends, so better in a safe environment here.

I'm Asian-American living abroad in Asia and feel much more comfortable with my 168cm height here than if I were back in the U.S.

Others opinions appreciated.

If I was, in part Gaoshan Chinese I'd say that the reputation of the asian population as smart / rich would mean that I wouldn't be so insecure about what people thought about in terms of height. I'd have family money / enough mental horsepower to compensate in more than a few ways. Theoretically.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy

Sorcerer

• O' captain! My captain!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 10:06:10 PM »

There are multiple stereotypes  of Asian that are to be debunked:
1. Short. It depends on what Asian country is in question. If it is not Chinese S.Korea Singapore HK Macow and Taiwan, as the tallest countries in Asia whose average heights are not short at all, ranging from 172 to 175cm, then yeah admittedly the Asian country in question is indeed short, but for those countries, they are not short at all or even tall.
2. Smart. According to the reports of WAIS-IV, WISC-V, PISA, Old SAT/GRE, etc., Asians are even smarter but not 'far' smarter. Well google 'Confidence Interval' if you don't know it. Even E.Asian's average IQ does not lie without 95% C.I of the one of the U.S' IQ.
3. Diligent. Firstly only E.Asian is diligent, but that is because the society is involutional and China's society is now the most involutional one. The reasons are multiple and if you want to hear me out I will elucidate. This does not even deserve to be flexed in E.Asian's perspective.
4. Poor. Still depends on what country is in question. Some Asian countries are not poor at all, Japan, S.Korea, urban China.(Be aware that there are two 'Chinas': rural China and urban China.

Back to the difference of height dysphorias in Asia and West, I'd say yea, but the main reason is that, well I don't know what Asian country you come from, but if it is China or S.Korea, partiuclarly China, West has way less height discriminations.

collagenmaster

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 06:05:17 PM »

No. They have more pressure to be tall because of the tax for being Asian. Asian tax + short tax = completely over.

Shiaro

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 01:58:21 PM »

I hear most patients are usually asian americans
Pages: [1]   Go Up