Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some questions about proportions  (Read 1075 times)

LG1816

Some questions about proportions
« on: June 03, 2023, 12:18:50 PM »

Hi,
I’ve seen a few different ratios for tibia to femur batted around here, but I can’t really find any concrete information on when it is your proportions start to look strange.

I’ll be doing Tibias. Does anyone have any links or formulas that are useful?

Thanks!

DanishViking

• The more a women cares about height the more...
Re: Some questions about proportions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 01:11:30 PM »

Doing tibia only is kind of stupid in my opinion. Why? Well it heals slower, has a higher complication rate, more likely to have permanant problems with joins / early arthiris, breaking 2 bones instead of 1, and most importantly you can gain much less height safetly (5 cm MAX vs 8 cm MAX). And for the love of god, don't do LON unless you want to the big risk of ostemylisis. Sorry for my gramma right now busy.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26398436/

see 11:50 - 14:40

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 05:04:07 PM »

Overdoing tibias will make you look like a gazelle, overdoing femurs will make you look like a caterpillar.

Limit yourself to a tibia:femur ratio of 1 (you're probably at about 0.8 now).  Even that is kind of pushing it but it's still acceptable as long as you wear shorter shirts that don't cover much of your hips/thighs.  Looks better than wearing a big baggy shirt that could almost be a dress anyway. ;D

And don't take this paranoid guy too seriously.  I did 7.5 cm (for the 1 ratio) on tibias with LON and never even got a superficial pinsite infection.  How you take care of yourself makes a big difference; this is not a random gamble.

KrP1

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 09:33:34 PM »

most people could handle 7cm in one segment without looking strange, specially in femurs. don't go over that and it will be ok.

LG1816

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 11:09:58 AM »

Overdoing tibias will make you look like a gazelle, overdoing femurs will make you look like a caterpillar.

Limit yourself to a tibia:femur ratio of 1 (you're probably at about 0.8 now).  Even that is kind of pushing it but it's still acceptable as long as you wear shorter shirts that don't cover much of your hips/thighs.  Looks better than wearing a big baggy shirt that could almost be a dress anyway. ;D

And don't take this paranoid guy too seriously.  I did 7.5 cm (for the 1 ratio) on tibias with LON and never even got a superficial pinsite infection.  How you take care of yourself makes a big difference; this is not a random gamble.

Cheers for the advice! I am indeed 0.8 right now at 5’8.5 evening height. What about sitting height? Is that something to factor into the equation?

LG1816

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 11:10:42 AM »

most people could handle 7cm in one segment without looking strange, specially in femurs. don't go over that and it will be ok.

Understood, thanks!

LG1816

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 11:13:16 AM »

Doing tibia only is kind of stupid in my opinion. Why? Well it heals slower, has a higher complication rate, more likely to have permanant problems with joins / early arthiris, breaking 2 bones instead of 1, and most importantly you can gain much less height safetly (5 cm MAX vs 8 cm MAX). And for the love of god, don't do LON unless you want to the big risk of ostemylisis. Sorry for my gramma right now busy.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26398436/

see 11:50 - 14:40

Thanks for the post, but that paper doesn’t really tell us a lot. What about the ones that show arthritis as a risk for femoral lengthening? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8231406/

I’d be doing pure externals anyway, but Giotikas himself told me that LON was a safe proceedure.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 02:56:59 PM »

I’d be doing pure externals anyway, but Giotikas himself told me that LON was a safe proceedure.

A much better choice than LON.  It was my first choice but for a couple of reasons beyond my control, that didn't end up happening.

oeioei2

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2023, 02:59:43 PM »

If someone has perfect ratio of around 0.80-0.82. Wouldnt a femur lengthening of 5 cm ruin it and put it below 0.80? Is it not better to do a tibia lengthening in that case and get a ratio of around 0.90?

Because for me currently I would guess I have around 0.80 ratio (havent done xrays yet) but I do care about the aesthetics aswell and I read that long tibias > long femurs from aesthetic view. What do you think?

I dont wanna end up looking strange

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2023, 03:42:36 PM »

What about sitting height? Is that something to factor into the equation?

I would only pay attention to sitting height if I were doing more than one LL.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 03:54:29 PM »

If someone has perfect ratio of around 0.80-0.82. Wouldnt a femur lengthening of 5 cm ruin it and put it below 0.80? Is it not better to do a tibia lengthening in that case and get a ratio of around 0.90?

Because for me currently I would guess I have around 0.80 ratio (havent done xrays yet) but I do care about the aesthetics aswell and I read that long tibias > long femurs from aesthetic view. What do you think?

I dont wanna end up looking strange

I think that longer tibias in general look better.

I was open to either tibias or femurs before LL, and my doctor examined me and recommended tibias for my body.

TheDream

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 03:57:39 PM »

A much better choice than LON.  It was my first choice but for a couple of reasons beyond my control, that didn't end up happening.

Are pure externals still limited to the old Ilizanova devices or are there newer ones in use?
I assume their advantage is that they have a lot of angle control, and can ensure a better fibular growth, along with avoiding internals.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 06:47:38 PM »

You can do pure external monorails, and there's a newer successor-in-spirit to the Ilizarov fixator called the Taylor Spatial Frame.

LG1816

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 07:14:28 PM »

I think that longer tibias in general look better.

I was open to either tibias or femurs before LL, and my doctor examined me and recommended tibias for my body.

Do some people have the 1:1 ratio naturally? And would the average person notice it if looking at you in your underwear?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 07:25:03 PM »

It is a little bit noticeable especially when someone of similar height notices your knees are way higher than theirs.

Taller90

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 08:29:43 PM »

During my research I found some studies which recommended that, if you have to choose it would be better to have a low ratio than to high f/t radio because too long tibias will lead to arthritis and other knee problems in a long term.

From 162.5cm to 174cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022

My diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=71436.0#top

LG1816

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2023, 05:03:55 PM »

It is a little bit noticeable especially when someone of similar height notices your knees are way higher than theirs.

Makes sense. I'm just over 5'8.5 at night, so 6cm would take me to 5'11, but to get to the 1-1 ratio (7.5cm) would take me to a daytime height of the elusive 6'. Do you reckon the trade off of the slightly off 1-1 ratio is worth the 6' height? I would presume not really. I suppose with such a big surgery you're going to want as best a bang for your buck as you can get, but there's a limit I suppose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up