Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proportions: need help  (Read 811 times)

Singh1

• Visitor
Proportions: need help
« on: July 07, 2023, 12:29:10 PM »

Hey guys I’m currently 5’2
Wingspan: 5’2
Average body, leg ratios I.e I do not have abnormally long/short tibias/femurs.

Im currently thinking to do this surgery this year and due to my height being relatively short, do you think it’s worth doing 2 inches in both femurs and tibias (1 year apart) or just do femurs 8cm? I don’t have a specific “number” that I want to reach. As an Asian dude all my family and friends are not that “tall”. The reason I want to undergo this surgery is to blend in more with my community. Should I do both segments for better proportions? If I do 2 inches in each I would have a shorter wingspan of around 10cm. Would that look oddly wierd? Or should I go for 5cm femurs and 3-4cm tibias.

Also, let’s assume money isn’t an issue and let’s leave paley out the equation, my top surgeons are, in order donghoon Lee, dr mahboubian, giotikas. What do you guys think is the best surgeon I should go for? I’d rather pay a little extra and get a good surgeon then get problems in the future. Thanks for you help! :)

Marie_Bard

Re: Proportions: need help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 06:40:04 PM »

Hey guys I’m currently 5’2
Wingspan: 5’2
Average body, leg ratios I.e I do not have abnormally long/short tibias/femurs.

Im currently thinking to do this surgery this year and due to my height being relatively short, do you think it’s worth doing 2 inches in both femurs and tibias (1 year apart) or just do femurs 8cm? I don’t have a specific “number” that I want to reach. As an Asian dude all my family and friends are not that “tall”. The reason I want to undergo this surgery is to blend in more with my community. Should I do both segments for better proportions? If I do 2 inches in each I would have a shorter wingspan of around 10cm. Would that look oddly wierd? Or should I go for 5cm femurs and 3-4cm tibias.

Also, let’s assume money isn’t an issue and let’s leave paley out the equation, my top surgeons are, in order donghoon Lee, dr mahboubian, giotikas. What do you guys think is the best surgeon I should go for? I’d rather pay a little extra and get a good surgeon then get problems in the future. Thanks for you help! :)
Giotikas has done some research on proportions https://boneandjoint.org.uk/article/10.1302/1358-992X.2018.8.008.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 09:16:15 PM »

I'd rank Drs. Rosbruch and Assayag higher than the ones on your list.

Dr. Lee has a long waiting list and I've heard reports of him being dismissive of patient concerns.  I don't think Salesman... I mean Dr. Mahboubian is a bad surgeon but if you've got the money you can do better, perhaps even for less money.  Giotikas offers a good value but if money isn't an issue, again there are better surgeons you can hire.

Not sure about your proportionality; pictures are the best way to figure that out.

GrowGrow123

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 09:58:07 PM »

Any of the 5 main US Doctors for LL (Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian, Assayag, Penardishad) will be top tier compared to non-US doctors. That being said, Paley is the near unanimous choice for the “best”. To some extent, if money is not a factor, I would say the choice here comes down to which city you want to stay in.

Outside of the US, Lee is as good as it gets but be aware of the long waitlist.

If you’re going to do 2+2, you might as well do 3+2. People here will over analyze and talk about proportions, but at your starting height height is far more important than proportions, imo. I think the concern for proportions is more justified if you’re 5’ 10” or something due to diminishing returns.
Starting Height: 5' 9.5"
Current Height: 6' 0.5"
Wing Span: 6' 2"
Method: Precise 2.2 Femurs
Surgery Date: March 2023

Singh1

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 07:57:22 PM »

So do you think it’s better to do 2+2 or 8cm in just femur?
Also is weight bearing with g nail really worth it over Lee or other American drs?

GrowGrow123

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 11:11:18 PM »

So do you think it’s better to do 2+2 or 8cm in just femur?
Also is weight bearing with g nail really worth it over Lee or other American drs?

If I had unlimited time and money, I would do 2+2. The advantage to doing just the femurs is that it’s a lot cheaper (by half) and it’s only one surgery instead of 2.

There are no fully weight bearing options in the US unfortunately. The weight bearing nail makes the entire process easier since you’re not wheelchair bound. It also greatly reduces the chance of getting blood clots.

But yeah the fact that no weight bearing nail is cleared for medical use in the USA is a little worrying. Doesn’t mean the weight bearing nail isn’t safe, but it does mean there hasn’t been sufficient testing for the FDA to allow it. The US tends to be much more conservative with these types of things.

Starting Height: 5' 9.5"
Current Height: 6' 0.5"
Wing Span: 6' 2"
Method: Precise 2.2 Femurs
Surgery Date: March 2023
Pages: [1]   Go Up