Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help--So many questions  (Read 845 times)

so

• Visitor
Please help--So many questions
« on: July 24, 2023, 12:01:11 AM »

Hello,

My nephew traveled abroad and secretly got a leg lengthening operation without telling his parents. He is 20 years old. Even though he is an adult his parents are so worried about him because he doesn't share any information about the surgery or how it's going. He got the surgery in late February of this year. He got the precision. He looks okay but still walks very stiffly. He is not really doing the body therapy that would be expected so my sister is pretty concerned he won't heal correctly. What could go wrong if a patient doesn't do the proper therapy? How often should physical exercises be performed after the surgery? I would assume every day but I would like to know what experts out there say about it. Now that he's home--not abroad where the surgery center is--isn't he supposed to see an orthopedic surgeon at home to check on his condition? He is communicating with the surgeon who worked on him by messaging but to me that doesn't seem like enough doctor care. What do you think?
Question #1 What could go wrong if a patient doesn't do the proper therapy?
Question #2 How often should physical exercises be performed after the surgery?
Question #3 Is he supposed to see an orthopedic surgeon at home to check on his condition?
Thank you so much for your input. Bless you.

TheDream

Re: Please help--So many questions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 12:14:50 AM »

The physical therapy is done to restore range of motion, “walking normally” and to alleviate stiffness in the muscles.

Physical exercise in the form of walking helps and is necessary to restore a normal walk and motion, but it has to be balanced with the bones healing (i.e. consolidating).

It depends from person to person, but normally one just stays in contact with the doctor from the place where the procedure was done. They know the patient best and what is the best course forward.

No one here knows your nephews case exactly, as this would be impossible for us, but based on the information you have provided, it sounds normal. This procedure requires patience and calm. The last thing your nephew needs is the stress of his family being worried and talking to everyone about his case, which I guess is why he is sparse on sharing information.

It takes 1-2 years to heal, as he adapts to the new height, gaining more range of motion as time progresses. The best advice would just be to tell him that if he needs anything you are there for him, and otherwise just give him time and space.

You don’t want him trying to run and jump around ahead of time to try and alleviate family worries. Just accept that he needs time and patience, and all you have to do is tell him that you are here for him, if he needs it, and otherwise trust that him and his doctor know the current information, and are acting accordingly.

so

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 12:38:34 AM »

Thank you for your well thought out response. I should clarify--we are not talking to anyone about his case. I'm asking questions here in a completely private way and I would never talk to anyone about him or his case. Nobody here knows him so I can safely ask anonymous questions. The information we garner here will help my nephew get better support from all of us & we definitely want to support him. We are on his side & want to help him get the most out of his journey and recover fully.

If anyone has some other specific answers to my previous questions, I would welcome and appreciate all input. Thank you very much.

TheDream

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 01:20:50 AM »

Then you are doing the right thing, and I’m sure that will remove a lot of stress from him. It can be difficult for a relative, as it is out of your control, but if he is back home, and walking, albeit still with limited range of motion (normal thing this early on) this is a good sign. The most challenging and risky part is over, and now he just needs time and quiet to adapt. So if anything, that should hopefully give a bit of relief on the worry.

betzbone1236

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 08:12:41 AM »

Question #1 What could go wrong if a patient doesn't do the proper therapy?
You have to do the proper PT. If you don't then you get bad duck, wide leg, its so painful you wont be able to click anymore. All is fixable with stretching. There may be other outcomes too but this is most common.

Question #2 How often should physical exercises be performed after the surgery?
For me 4 hours per day every single day your lengthening. You can spread it out.

Question #3 Is he supposed to see an orthopedic surgeon at home to check on his condition?
I kept in contact with my surgeon via messenger app.
I did 12.36cm (4.86 inch) on femurs.

Here is my diary (with videos): https://limblengthening/threads/betzbone-surgery-dr-becker-january-2023.5/
Pages: [1]   Go Up