Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on nerve damage and recovered stamina (standing/running)  (Read 874 times)

TommyC

• Visitor
Question on nerve damage and recovered stamina (standing/running)
« on: September 05, 2023, 01:35:44 AM »

阿金鼓谱

Hi guys, I am a newcomer to this forum, hopefully will be doing the surgery later this year with Dr. Paley.

2 month ago, I told my dad and mom separately that I was going to do the surgery, they initially shown some concern. I told them that I have done research, told them that the option I chose had a success rate of at least 95%, and taken considerations to minimize the risks.
- Only planning to do femur for 5.5cm, which should be relatively very low risk shown by previous experiences of fellow members of the community and information exchange with Dr. Paley’s team
- Have been stretching everyday for 4 months prior to the surgery so less strain is put on the body in the rehab stage

They ultimately agreed individually. I made my payment, and had already made arrangements for a caretaker whom I stayed with when I was very young.

However, last Tuesday my mom suddenly called me crying profusely, telling me not to get crippled over insecurity to get taller. She claimed I was jumping over a cliff, and only a mother would tell me a truth to not get into making a choice I would regret for the rest of my life, suffering after I get old. I could tell she was really emotional, and I tried discussing with her. However, calm reasoning couldn’t be done at the time. So I just listened, thought about what she said, and told her that I had taken in her concerns and will research more into this matter.

And then, I started to receive messages from my dad, telling me how painful the whole process would be, both the surgery and rehab. I had told him previously that the surgery is performed under anesthesia, and will be taking pain killers making the whole process bearable if I work hard during rehab.

I think this surgery is just really hard for parents to take in. It was like two individual magnets were pieces together, and then suddenly the parents started backing each other up. They had done no prior research whatsoever, and just simply denies me because they thought it was too dangerous and painful.

However, there were some points that they brought up which, to be honest, were also some of my biggest insecurities I couldn’t or didn’t gather enough information with patient’s past experiences from.

First of all, I read about nerve pain in the pdf booklet sent from Paley Institute.

- Nerve injury
    - Nerve injury can occur with any lengthening surgery but is quite uncommon if the rate of distraction does not exceed 1mm per day and if the amount of lengthening is restricted
    - If any motor symptoms (weakness or paralysis of muscles) occur, a nerve decompression surgery should be done as soon as possible. This is a small outpatient surgery.
    - With the PRECICE due to excellent rate control, nerve injury is very rare.
    - While this complication is very uncommon, it if does occur there is no treatment except to wait for the nerve to recover spontaneously which it usually does.

However, I also read in a patients experience diary that
- most patients will go through nerve pain during their lengthening phase.
    - Patients sprouts of nerve pain during 2-5.5cm growth.

What I am really concerned on is, and couldn’t research much information on is:

1. Does the nerve pain really go away after 1-2 years or are there still some times zapping pain after years of the surgery? Because there are so many nerves and muscle being cut open during the surgery, can they really heal together that well? Not to mention the bone mass cut open.

2. Especially after we get old, will the wounded areas perhaps feel a vivid amount of pain for example on a cold or humid day?

Because I am also in the acting career, I am also very concerned with:

3. After the surgery, and perhaps 1 or several year of recovery
        - Are we able to stand up for a long time? Or will our stamina/ability to stand for long time be hindered?
        - How about running stamina?Will it also decrease a lot, speaking from experience?

Because sometimes when shooting tv shows or movies, we might need to stand up for maybe up to 7-8 hours per day. There may be also running or fighting scenes. So I am really concerned.

Thank you so much for reading through this, and I would be super thankful if you’d like to share some information or previous experience with me. There isn’t a lot of time left before the surgery, and I am so stressed… ;-;

Sincerely,
Tom

Ahri

• Ennui
Re: Question on nerve damage and recovered stamina (standing/running)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 01:56:17 AM »

uh yah would not count on doing any running or fighting scenes in a year if not a lot longer… you may never be fully back to your old normal. It takes around 7 years for the bone to basically be back to what it was assuming everything goes well.
Height Reduction Procedure on 7/4/23
173 cm (5'8") -> 169.5 cm (5'7)

JON SNOW

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 11:04:49 PM »

uh yah would not count on doing any running or fighting scenes in a year if not a lot longer… you may never be fully back to your old normal. It takes around 7 years for the bone to basically be back to what it was assuming everything goes well.

7 years ?

jerrytheman

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 11:39:33 PM »

7 years ?

He's talking about the remodeling. Basically your bone will seem like a small buldge, it's your body's way of making the "broken" bone stronger. But your bone is living cells and after 7-10 years that stronger bone will slowly normalize into what it was originally like. You wont even notice the "stronger" bone aside from seeing it on the xray.

jerrytheman

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 11:42:37 PM »

I think nerve "damage" is somewhat common. Most people will have a reduction in sensation around the inner shin even though it's femur lengthening. It can take a year to get back those sensations. But those are not motor neurons, and the reduction in sensation around the inner shin is pretty small of a price to pay.

Around 1 year you are recovered to the point where you are back to normal life except in high intensity movements like sprinting, and jumping. A couple weeks after you get your nails removed, you will get back to ~90% of your previous explosive powers. Probably 95-100 for you because you only plan on doing 5cm. In fact, you prob dont even nee 1 year to recover. Those numbers are for the standard 8cm femurs.

LLprime3

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 11:51:53 AM »

1. Does the nerve pain really go away after 1-2 years or are there still some times zapping pain after years of the surgery? Because there are so many nerves and muscle being cut open during the surgery, can they really heal together that well? Not to mention the bone mass cut open.

2. Especially after we get old, will the wounded areas perhaps feel a vivid amount of pain for example on a cold or humid day?

Because I am also in the acting career, I am also very concerned with:

3. After the surgery, and perhaps 1 or several year of recovery
        - Are we able to stand up for a long time? Or will our stamina/ability to stand for long time be hindered?
        - How about running stamina?Will it also decrease a lot, speaking from experience?

1. There is a way to not damage muscle by cutting in specific ways and only where it's needed. I had nerve pain for a few months after my 2nd LL but even that went away by massaging it and working against the pain. In your case I would not expect any nerve pain. You are only lengthening 40% of what I did in total.

2. I hear that and it sounds like a folks tale, It makes not sense and some veterans here have confirmed that this is not the case. The bone ends up more robust than before if it consolidates properly.

3. During extension you will feel as if you had already exhausted yourself from leg  exercises. This is also just temporary.

Overall the most pain you'll experience after the operation and when moving around for the 1-3 weeks because if all the stitches. When lying in bed the pain can be 0/10 or 1/10.

You should do as you want because no one will take responsibility for you staying short. All the people who tell you not to do it are not living in your body.
Your life and your circumstances, so it's also your choice to adapt however you feel is right. LL is no different than dressing well and taking care of your body. Everyone wants to look nice, and it makes more sense to have a nice anatomy than dressing nice while being overweight.

saltedchocolate

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 01:28:41 PM »

I think I am the right person to answer this question,
7 cm gained on tibias via LON .  Had complications, Healed and moved on with life.

TommyC

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 06:52:53 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing with me in my post. After reading the posts, I only have one more concern:
- will my lower body stamina fully recover after perhaps 1 year of surgery? For example, will I be able to stand or run for quite a period of time? I remember seeing a post of someone skiing after surgery. This is really important because I am pursuing in the acting career and in the future, I may need to stand up for a long time.

Thank you so much!

TommyC

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 06:53:18 PM »

He's talking about the remodeling. Basically your bone will seem like a small buldge, it's your body's way of making the "broken" bone stronger. But your bone is living cells and after 7-10 years that stronger bone will slowly normalize into what it was originally like. You wont even notice the "stronger" bone aside from seeing it on the xray.

Thank you so much for sharing with me in my post. After reading the posts, I only have one more concern:
- will my lower body stamina fully recover after perhaps 1 year of surgery? For example, will I be able to stand or run for quite a period of time? I remember seeing a post of someone skiing after surgery. This is really important because I am pursuing in the acting career and in the future, I may need to stand up for a long time.

Thank you so much!

TommyC

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 06:54:58 PM »

I think nerve "damage" is somewhat common. Most people will have a reduction in sensation around the inner shin even though it's femur lengthening. It can take a year to get back those sensations. But those are not motor neurons, and the reduction in sensation around the inner shin is pretty small of a price to pay.

Around 1 year you are recovered to the point where you are back to normal life except in high intensity movements like sprinting, and jumping. A couple weeks after you get your nails removed, you will get back to ~90% of your previous explosive powers. Probably 95-100 for you because you only plan on doing 5cm. In fact, you prob dont even nee 1 year to recover. Those numbers are for the standard 8cm femurs.

Thank you so much!

TommyC

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2023, 06:56:00 PM »

1. There is a way to not damage muscle by cutting in specific ways and only where it's needed. I had nerve pain for a few months after my 2nd LL but even that went away by massaging it and working against the pain. In your case I would not expect any nerve pain. You are only lengthening 40% of what I did in total.

2. I hear that and it sounds like a folks tale, It makes not sense and some veterans here have confirmed that this is not the case. The bone ends up more robust than before if it consolidates properly.

3. During extension you will feel as if you had already exhausted yourself from leg  exercises. This is also just temporary.

Overall the most pain you'll experience after the operation and when moving around for the 1-3 weeks because if all the stitches. When lying in bed the pain can be 0/10 or 1/10.

You should do as you want because no one will take responsibility for you staying short. All the people who tell you not to do it are not living in your body.
Your life and your circumstances, so it's also your choice to adapt however you feel is right. LL is no different than dressing well and taking care of your body. Everyone wants to look nice, and it makes more sense to have a nice anatomy than dressing nice while being overweight.

Thank you so much!

c

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 06:07:00 PM »

唱歌还是可以 如果你想演戏 做完手术无论多久是不可能完成电影的强度

TommyC

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 04:30:54 AM »

请问您也做了limb lengthening手术吗,是因为做完后肌肉的耐力和体力都会下降很多吗
Pages: [1]   Go Up